The Wonders of Fairy Tales

Written in response to: Start your story with someone being given a book recommendation.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Fiction

Annie is in her room reading a book then her sister Meg barges in to “borrow” her jacket. Annie runs to attack now both girls are fighting until their parents come to end it. Meg is acting innocent she’s only borrowing the jacket she’s going to take care of it which annoys Annie. The parent’s side with Meg and make Annie apologize. Her older sister Meg is considered the favorite. Not only is Annie overshadowed by Meg by her parents, but Meg also has more friends than her, better grades, and gets to do everything first such as driving, dating, and going to dances. Annie loves Meg, but sometimes she wishes she can be only child. She wishes she can get all the attention. She wishes she can accomplish something in her life.

One day, their grandmother comes over to babysit while the parents go out for the night. The grandmother has a moment alone with Annie since Meg is in her room talking to her boyfriend on the phone while listening to retro music. Annie confesses she wishes she can be as pretty and accomplished as her sister. Grandmother can sense the sadness in Annie as she’s talking about her jealousy. In her bag, she takes out a book called The Wonders of Fairy Tales. Grandmother tells her it’s a special gift to Annie advises her to use it wisely and don’t leave it out otherwise someone might get sucked in. Annie thought she was exaggerating at first because it doesn’t make sense. Is it that interesting? Do you get distracted by reading it? It must be good, right? Who knows what she meant? The parents arrive, the grandmother encourages Annie to keep the book a secret.

Again, Annie doesn’t understand why her grandmother would be so secretive, it’s only a book. What’s so special about the book that she must keep it a secret? However, she kept her word, she doesn’t say anything to her parents. She heads in her room, again her sister Meg barges in to “borrow” her sweater. Annie is upset she’s not asking before borrowing then Meg throws an insult, she’s got no life she won’t need it. Meg leaves. Annie slams the door, kicks her drawers, and jump on the bed so hard the book bounced off to the floor. She sees it is impressed by the cover of a Princess who looks just like her.

The Princess is three times larger than the village miniature pictures full of fairies, peasants, and creatures you might see from Narnia. She opens the first page the title is glowing which scares Annie and shuts it. She slowly reopens and it glows again. The glow is gold light reflecting Annie’s eyes she leans in closer, the book zaps her inside. She is falling under what appears to be a dark hole screaming then lands in an island. The island is the most beautiful area you can imagine, clear blue sky, clear ocean, and unicorns walking around eating grass. The trees are so tall they can touch the sky. Annie is so confused where the heck is she? Is this a dream? Did she fall asleep, and this is indeed a dream?

A fairy flies over to grow flowers on the pond, spots Annie, and flies over to her. The fairy has a striking resemblance to Tinker Bell from Peter Pan. She asks who Annie is. Annie is so paranoid she has no speech. The fairy takes a guess she’s human therefore a peasant or a Princess. Annie is hesitant to tell her name she mumbles. The fairy wonders if she’s Princess Nora who ran away from her castle. All the creature’s half dog’s half frogs, unicorns, and rainbow snakes turn to them and stare. Annie has no idea what to do. They all call her Princess Nora then a puff of smoke appears. A red color smoke and comes an evil looking Queen (the Queen shows a slight resemblance to her sister Meg) shows up.

She immediately shows disliking to Annie assuming it’s Nora in disguise trying to escape. Annie insists she isn’t. She is not from this land; she wants to go home. The fairy threatens the Queen to leave Annie alone she’s not running away. She is going to defeat her. Annie is so screwed she is about to get killed over a mistaken identity. Suddenly, a white horse runs by the figure riding the animal is dressed as a Knight. The horse does a leap jump and passes the Queen and the fairy and grabs Annie. Annie is screaming so loud the Knight covers her mouth. The horse runs off to the woods. Annie is even more terrified this Knight might be working for the Queen taking her to her Layer. The Knight pulls Annie down on the floor.

The Knight takes off the helmet it’s a girl who kind of looks like Annie – this must be Princess Nora! Indeed, it is. Nora introduces herself and Annie introduces herself then asks where the Heck is she. Nora explains they are at Land of Fairy’s. She cast a spell they are inside invisible woods. She shows her the creatures, fairy and the Queen can’t see them. Even with the Queen using her powers to reveal any area it’s not working. Annie is so overwhelmed she fainted. Nora pours water on Annie’s face to wake up. Annie is disappointed she’s still at the woods not dreaming. Nora asks who Annie is; where did she come from. As Annie explains who she is Nora is not sure whether to believe her or not.

Annie wants to know why the Queen wants to kill Nora. Nora explains the Queen has always been jealous of her because she’s prettier, nicer to everyone in the land, and doesn’t have to be perfect all the time. Nora escaped after waking up in the middle of the night seeing the Queen hunched over her with a poison potion. Annie wonders why not arrest the Queen. The Queen can only be destroyed if she gives up her necklace around her neck with all the powers. Annie thought of an idea. Nora steps out of her invisible woods to face the Queen. Both girls battle out with their magic, unfortunately the Queen is too powerful she’s winning so far. Nora is almost being killed.

Annie comes out as a distraction pretending like she too has powers and is about to cast a powerful spell to frighten the Queen. Then Nora quickly casts a spell to snatch the necklace off her neck and hands it to Annie. The Queen disappears. Every species and pheasants’ cheers. Nora gives Annie all the credit. She offers her a spare room in the Castle they can rule together. Annie would love that, but she must go home. Nora lets her keep the necklace in case she comes back. Turns out, the necklace is the key to bring her home because as she puts it on around her neck a light blue glare appears. BOOM! We’re back at Annie’s room. She looks around and sees the book half open on the floor. She checks if the necklace is around her neck – it is. She smiles. Hides the necklace. And the book. Who knows she might read it next time?                

April 23, 2022 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.