0 comments

Adventure

She has been sitting in the overgrown tree for about two hours. No movement was detected inside or outside the house. There was no sign of an alarm. There was a big electric gate, and a side gate which flapped along in the wind. That would be her entry point. From there she would decide what to do. She was certain that there would be something in the garden or the back yard which has trading value. The wind has picked up. It was time to make her move. She was contemplating waiting for the rain, but was uncertain about the amount of time she had left.

She jumped out of the tree, and slowly walked towards the side gate. She took her phone out of her jeans pocket and made random movements with her thumb, while she continually scanned the environment. While pretending to gaze at the phone, she walked through the side gate. Once inside the yard, she moved to the back of the house. Out of sight from the road, she could take her time. She passed a green water tank and faced a back door which led to a kitchen. Then she saw the open window. She cranked it open a bit further and placed her ear against the cold glass. No movement or sounds from the inside. Through the window she could see the double sink and the top of a stove. She made a mental note to aim for the sink. She moved the rubbish bin below the window, climbed onto it, listened intently for another ten seconds, and then climbed through the window. She misjudged the size of the sink, misstep and landed hard on the floor. Listening for any further sounds, and at the same time feeling for broken bones, she was alerted to heavy breathing. Her heart started to beat in her throat. Then it took the corner. A hairy creature was coming straight for her face. She closed her eyes and waited for certain pain, but all she felt was a wet tongue all over her face. She opened her eyes, stared at the dog, who at that moment turned around, grabbed a ball and ran to what must be the main living area.

It took her a moment to recognize the relief she felt. She then stood and surveyed the surroundings. She was only there for one reason, so she got to make it quick. She opened her backpack and head for the fridge. She grabbed chicken and pork ribs from the freezer. Then she collected milk, cheese and a piece of lemon meringue. She took the half loaf of bread and an avocado pear from the counter. Then she grabbed some spaghetti, rice, potatoes and tomatoes. She fastened the zip of the backpack, hoisted it onto her back and decided to head out the front door. She unlatched the door and was greeted by a strong wind. Then the dog, with two tennis balls in the mouth, ran through her legs, and into the yard. With both balls dropped at her feet, she bent to throw them into the house.  And then she heard it. The latched clicked into the lock position behind her.

The dog was running all over the lawn. She desperately looked for a moving curtain from the neighboring houses. Everything was still quiet. A passing motorbike created a fast heartbeat again. She knew she had to get out of there. She had to think about herself. No one could find her there. It would take too much effort to explain her presence.

She decided to leave. She threw the balls to the far end of the winding driveway and made a run for the gate. She locked the latch into place, and kept walking without looking back. She knew the dog would be safe behind those gates. That was the best she could do.

Heavy rain started to fall. She knew she could still take the shortcut over the mountain. Normally she would not risk walking there with such a bounty. But she was hoping that the baboons have been chased to the trees by the rain.

She was running. The harder the rain fell, the faster she ran. Breathing hard, she slowed down but did not stop until she saw the rusting, smoking roofs of the caravan park. She unlocked her shack, switched on some lights and took off her wet clothes. While she dried her hair, she looked at her loot. That should keep her going for at least two weeks. She prepared a sandwich with the avocado pear and cheese, and switched on the gas stove to make some tea.

Something nagged at her. She was restless. Was there something she did not do? Maybe a curtain did move? Did she accidentally switch on something? She was wrecking her brain. As she sipped her tea, the source of her consternation dawned.  She had to steady her hand fast to prevent the cup from smashing to the floor. She was restless because that insane dog was stuck outside. As if to confirm her own internal conundrum, a thunderstorm erupted.  What if the owners were not planning to return that evening? What if it got out? It could get hurt! Cursing the depth and size of her heart, she reached for her wet clothes on the drier. It was still light enough to go through the mountain.

This time she was not in any hurry. At times she even stopped, and debated this step she embarked upon. She crossed the last hill, and then the house was in sight. She kept walking. The gates were still closed. The dog was not in the yard. Then she looked at the front door. And there on the welcome mat, the dog was lying with its two balls, visibly shivering.

She decided on a plan, and then she was moving fast. As she approached the gate, the dog lifted its head, and wagged its tail. She started to run towards the kitchen door. As she hoped, it followed her to the back. After a few more kisses, she put her arms around it and lifted the wet body through the window. She apologized as she pushed, not knowing where or how it would land. There were surprisingly, a minimal noise level. She stood on her toes, and there it was looking up at her, still wagging its tail.

The heavy rains were then accompanied by loud thunder. She ran towards the gate and made double sure that the small gate was latched and started the walk. This time the long way around.

August 14, 2020 09:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.