Trips Not Traveled, Flights Not Flown, and Roads Not Walked

Submitted into Contest #170 in response to: Start your story with the line “I’ve got a plan”. ... view prompt

38 comments

Contemporary Romance Holiday

“I’ve got a plan,” I told my fine companions, “Let’s all take a trip together!”


Well, first, there was the weekend away we’d scheduled last July to the New Jersey Pine Barrens, aka the Pines. It’s one of the largest and last remaining Atlantic coastal pine barren ecosystems. The term “pine barrens” connotes an area with acidic, sandy, nutrient-deficient soil. Residents refer to their soil as sugar sand. It was also said to be the home of the fabled Jersey Devil, who back in the day was allegedly born the 13th child of Mrs. Leeds, a local woman. The JD was cursed because of his unlucky birth number’s placement within the timeline of life and is rumored to still be walking those sandy grounds to this very day. Other supernatural denizens said to dwell there are the ghosts of Captain Kidd, the pirate, and the Black Dog, a regular little local hellhound.


It was my girls’ idea to go there together for our first getaway weekend. Thus, you may wonder if their interest was in a bit of ghost hunting or devil spotting. It wasn’t. They’d heard it was an infamous location for the Mafia to dispose of bodies not only because of the seclusion it offered but the year-round soft, sandy soil. Neither of them had been born in this country and had a healthy and romanticized curiosity about all things that were gangland related or connected to the mob in America. Their game plan was to lie on the forest floor pretending to be victims of a hit and then have me snap pix of them to send to the folks back home. They were even plotting to take the farce as far so as to use their cosmetic make-up products on one another and appear, in Y’s words, “deader.”


Yet, we never took that journey. The plan was to get there via V’s vehicle. But the night before leaving, a severe summer storm had blown through the region, and she’d parked it on the street with windows ajar and ever so slightly open. So much rain had flooded into the interior I had to help her remove the seats to dry out in the sun for a few days before reinstalling them again. They had plans – but God giggled, I guess.


Then there was the trip to Jamaica that never got off the ground. After the second try at a weekend away in The Pines fell flat on its face last October due to a snafu in my work schedule, and had me feeling a little guilty, I suggested we head to the Caribbean over the Thanksgiving holiday. The better two-thirds of our throuple took care of booking flights and lodgings, so I had little more to do than keep that week free, pack my bag, and remember to bring my passport. And that’s when it occurred to me that I hadn’t traveled overseas in a few decades so I’d need to do some deep digging to find the said passport.


A few days before departure, when I finally fished out the government-issued document, the first thing I did was check if it was still valid. Nope, it’d expired back in 1989. Should be no problem renewing it, right? Wrong! Not only were the holidays a busy time to travel but since the world was reawakening after the Covid-19 lockdown the passport office was backed up unlike ever before. Even if I were to pay the additional expediting fee it’d still be between 6-8 weeks before I’d have my new traveling papers. Thus, the week before we were to leave, and after one of our wonderful post-midnight suppers, I broke the bad news to Y and V; and they didn’t take it well.


“Shit, G, you haven’t been outside the country since the 90s and you didn’t think to check if your passport had expired?” an exasperated Y wanted to know.


“It just didn’t cross my mind at first, and then I figured if it was, I’d be able to get it renewed on time for our vacation, I guess I blew it...”


“Jesus, Gee-sus,” V chided, “for a pretty smart guy you do some really dumb things sometimes!”


“Guilty, guilty, guilty… guilty as charged,” I confessed.


My girls weren’t so much angry with me as they were disappointed. I felt terrible I’d let the two of them down. All I’d been tasked with throughout this entire enterprise was packing, getting to the airport on time with a valid passport in hand, and then traveling. One thing and one thing only and I’d managed to mess up that one simple thing that would ruin everyone’s vacation.


“Listen, I want you both to go anyway. I’ll cover the cost of everything and you should just go without me this time. Okay?”

“This time was supposed to be a Thanksgiving holiday trip, do you know what else it was, G?” V continued to cross-examine. “It was supposed to be super special.”


“Sure, and I mucked it up. I want you to go have a great time and I’ll be here when you get back. I know, it sucks, and it’s my bad.”


“No,” finalized Y, “I think whatever we do this first Thanksgiving we’re going to do it together. If you don’t go then we don’t go. We’d rather be up here in the cold and snow with you than down in Jamaica without you. Right, V?”


“You speak for yourself!” was the unexpected response from V, and said with a loving laugh, “I say we leave his sorry old ass up here to get frostbitten while we lay topless on a beach in the sun and forget about this forgetful freak.” She then leaned toward me to kiss my forehead. “Oh, alright, we’re staying here with our bungling boyfriend instead of hitting the waves.”


So, stay they did. For our Thanksgiving dinner, I’d ordered a whole Peking duck, various vegetable dishes, hot and sour seafood soup, and of course, brown rice. This was washed down with two bottles of Moet Chandon Rose Imperial. The duck went over better than the time I’d introduced them to sushi; although I was a tiny bit perturbed when my girlfriends referred to the fowl wrapped in rice pancakes as “duck burritos.” Yet, when I suggested we should revisit the Peking duck for our Christmas meal I was told they’d really rather not. Their reason, you ask? They’d decided since ducks looked so damn cute, at least in their opinion, they didn’t want to eat any more of them. Still, we were happy to be together on our first Thanksgiving and we were thankful to be blessed with that gift.


As our first Christmas together neared, the dance troupe V and Y were a part of had been invited to compete in a dance competition being held in Atlanta. The contest would last for nearly a week, and the better your troupe did, the longer they’d stay in the competition. My girls’ team, who was doing quite well, was the last of three still in the running. Each night they called with updates they were super excited and conveyed their exuberance about potentially walking away with whatever prize was being awarded to the victor.


On the night before the last day their group would be battling any others, Y complained of being bothered by a bad headache, mild sore throat, and body aches, which she attributed to the strain of the past six days. The last three crews in the tournament would meet for a penultimate dance-off bout tomorrow morning. If my fine companions were eliminated they’d be on a plane and back by early evening. If they persevered in the morning then they take a crack at defeating the remaining troupe and fly back the next day.


Being that the judges preferred those moves of the dancers they had gone up against in the AM, they called before noon with news they’d land at Newark Airport and then be at my place around 8 PM this evening. Both my girlfriends were exhausted and crestfallen. Y blamed herself for the loss. She also had developed a cough since the night before. I told them I’d have dinner waiting when they got here and to hurry home to me.


Prior to 7 PM, there was another call from them. Their plane was still in the air. The cabin crew had said there’d be more unforeseen delays and that everyone aboard should remain in their seats and stay buckled up. Twice more they phoned. During that third call, they said a few passengers on their flight had begun getting quite sick. Those infirmed were exhibiting flu-like symptoms. There was even an unconfirmed rumor circulating aboard the aircraft that one traveler had coughed up blood.


The next communication came after 8 PM. The plane had finally been cleared for landing and was on the ground. But no one was allowed to disembark. When the jet’s doors eventually opened, the craft was boarded by more than a half-dozen men in hazmat suits, one of whom reiterated the command for all to stay seated. One by one each of the ticketed fliers’ temperature was taken and a sample was swabbed from the nostril of that flier’s choice. Y was among more than a dozen on the flight who tested positive for the Covid virus.


While V and I were both fully vaccinated, Y had chosen not to get jabbed. Claiming that her youth, healthy physical condition, and diet were sufficient in providing all the immunity necessary, she assumed she’d be okay, I guess. Well, guess again. V was the one who called to update me on this latest news. She was still feeling fine and told me they’d decided it’d be best if they went straight to her apartment in Jersey City instead of coming to my place as planned. They didn’t want to take a chance of infecting me with the illness, especially considering my advanced age.


So, for the next ten days, V nursed Y. Her patient only displayed milder symptoms of the sickness, so that’s something to be thankful for. Another reason to feel grateful was neither V nor I caught the virus. During the time they were gone, I’d decided to surprise them when they returned by booking our trio a trip to Jamaica for the upcoming holidays. If you recall, it was totally my fault our Thanksgiving Jamaican plans had fallen through. Well, I now had a valid, renewed passport, as well as a will to travel. I had planned – and again God giggled like a hyena after a huge hit of laughing gas.


Our vacation curse had yet to be broken. One more trip not traveled. A few more flights we never flew. And another sandy road not walked. Little did any of us realize that outside of my neighborhood, or their hoods in JC or BK, the three of us would never be together with one another anywhere else in the world. I imagine it was neither in our stars nor in the hand of cards we’d been dealt.


October 28, 2022 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Stevie B
20:20 Oct 28, 2022

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Personally, I hate to travel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:47 Nov 16, 2022

I enjoy your alliteration. Also, I was hoping to have a slow release in the final paragraph with the vivid descriptors in the preceding paragraphs. It came off a bit abrupt for me. I maybe prefer the second to last paragraph as the last paragraph, though I can understand the aspect of a summary for the journey - or lack there of - that the three of you had taken, but the emphasis on hometown togetherness instead.

Reply

Stevie B
10:26 Nov 16, 2022

Then you'd probably enjoy the full version included in my "Between a Couple of Friends" novel being published in 2023. Because of Reedsy's 3000 word limit I was forced to trim over 500 words from this submitted text. And so it goes...

Reply

02:57 Nov 19, 2022

Makes sense. Sometimes editing can be difficult. Especially when it's for a specific word count. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:22 Nov 09, 2022

Melancholy and pensive. An interesting mix of avoidable and unavoidable thwarting of intentions. Had me sighing at the end. Some things are simply not meant to be . . . so let's just get on with it and see what's around the bend! (Thumbs up)

Reply

Stevie B
17:14 Nov 09, 2022

Than you for reading and sharing your thoughts, Susan. Makes you wonder if we are truly slaves to our stars and pawns of the Gods.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KarLynn Erickson
00:39 Nov 09, 2022

Oh shoot! Sad ending. Interesting topics. Thanks for the fun read!

Reply

Stevie B
00:47 Nov 09, 2022

Kar, thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Johnson
04:01 Nov 08, 2022

There is a sadness about missed opportunities and trips not taken...you capture this. Add the Covid-19 lockdown and reopening angle and it's very poignant.

Reply

Stevie B
13:12 Nov 08, 2022

Kristin, thank you for reading ang sharing your thoughts. Indeed, much sadnessand disappointment prevails throughout our lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Rozanski
15:22 Nov 07, 2022

I love the part where you have God giggling. It shows that he is at least has some kind of humor. If not, he must think us humans are very confusing

Reply

Stevie B
15:42 Nov 07, 2022

Thank you, Olivia. I've always envisioned God as a woman. Who else could could a capacity to love we mixed-up mortals?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:53 Nov 07, 2022

A fun read! Well your ahem.. main character's... life sounds interesting! And I think its refreshing how you covered the pandemic objectively and just said what happened.

Reply

Stevie B
11:46 Nov 07, 2022

Yeah, think I've even seen that guy doing a Dos Equis beer commercial or two. Thanks, Scott!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joanne Johnson
23:04 Nov 06, 2022

Hmmm, the moral of the story is get vaccinated. The second moral is check those passports. An enjoyable if slightly sad story.

Reply

Stevie B
00:40 Nov 07, 2022

Thank you, Joanne. For me it's to truly live we must open ourselves to accepting and learning from the potential pain of our own failures.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eileen Turner
23:03 Nov 06, 2022

Oh yes, God giggles. I often hope so, anyway. If He doesn't have a sense of humor, He must just think we're an awful lot of work. Your story sounds a lot like life happening.

Reply

Stevie B
00:44 Nov 07, 2022

Now every breath I take (apologies to Sting) every keystroke I make... Thank you for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Thiriot
18:22 Nov 06, 2022

Good read!

Reply

Stevie B
22:47 Nov 06, 2022

Thanks, Tommy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
BRUCE MARTIN
05:31 Nov 06, 2022

Nice vignette. However, the great writers of short stories (for example, Edgar Allen Poe, O Henry, Sholem Aleichem) never use vulgar language in their stories. Resorting to vulgarity suggests a weak command of the language. “Shit, G, you haven’t been outside the country since the 90s..."

Reply

Stevie B
11:24 Nov 06, 2022

No even if it was an actual quote of what someone else said? Interesting...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eileen Turner
23:06 Nov 06, 2022

Unfortunately, a bit (not vulgar) of bad language does add to a sense of reality in a story/character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Rabab Zaidi
13:51 Nov 05, 2022

Interesting - but the ending is disappointing . A little pensive and final .

Reply

Stevie B
13:59 Nov 05, 2022

Well, life never promised us happy endings...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
22:28 Nov 01, 2022

Nice read: it fit your categories very well. Thank you for reading mine, I appreciate it.

Reply

Stevie B
22:38 Nov 01, 2022

It was my pleasure, LJ, and thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:01 Nov 01, 2022

Very much a story in line with the theme of "We plan, God laughs". Or put another way, real life gets in the way of things. Balancing what we want against what's possible, balancing acting according to our wills against reacting to our circumstances. The ending is a pensive, sad note. This is looking back and seeing that none of the plans ever panned out, which I'm sure is a tune most people recognize. So it goes. But there's a silver lining to this story too, and I think the Thanksgiving episode underscores it. It wasn't really about goin...

Reply

Stevie B
21:16 Nov 01, 2022

Bingo - you got it, Michal!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Michelle
16:15 Oct 30, 2022

I love phrases like, "his unlucky birth number’s placement within the timeline of life".

Reply

Stevie B
18:05 Oct 30, 2022

Thank you, Megan. Putting the right words together is the greatest cosmic crossword we can ever hope to crack.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:09 Oct 30, 2022

It was a fun type of sad, this story. Nicely done.

Reply

Stevie B
12:28 Oct 30, 2022

Thank you, Delbert. On occasion, some have been known to smile while crying...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
08:54 Oct 30, 2022

Clapping

Reply

Stevie B
11:03 Oct 30, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
03:48 Oct 29, 2022

Of all the terrible luck! (If you picked up a pair of binoculars at some point, I think I may know the problem. :) Seriously, though, I did enjoy reading this, and with a touch of melancholy that only happened at the very end, which I enjoyed in a tortured kind of way: it certainly brings to mind so many things undone, over the course of a lifetime of "should haves." Thanks for the story!

Reply

Stevie B
11:51 Oct 29, 2022

Wendy, thank you for coming along with me on this taciturn journey through our lives!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:03 Nov 20, 2022

First - Thank you for reading my stories. Your story reminded me of sledding when I was a kid. Bits were smooth, then scary bumps and little hills - loved it! Maybe because of the Thanksgiving theme - I heard Arlo Guthry's voice as I read it - which was fun. My late father-in-law used to sing "In The Pines, In the pines, where the sun never shines." I wonder if it was about the area you mentioned? Your bio is interesting! My first bit of writing was lyrics for a song my mother-in-law wrote. She encouraged me in writing and painting and ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.