21 comments

Mystery

Thank you so much to Ruth Porritt who gave me the brilliant idea of concluding my other story, "Wish You Were Here." I suggest reading that story before this one. I am proud to share with you the thrilling sequel to "Wish You Were Here." I hope you enjoy it!



Daniella stretched her arms far behind her head. She scratched Lucy her cat. George was sitting on his computer scrolling through articles.



“I’m going for a walk.” Declared Daniella.



Her husband made a grunting noise, then continued to read. She stood up, and patted Lucy one last time, and walked slowly out the door.



Ever since Caleb went missing, Daniella hadn’t run since. She had stopped doing everything she had loved. No more writing, no more ice cream, and no more running. Daniella pulled her scarf further up her arms and shivered. She passed the same track the Montana Marathon used. She turned the corner to the stadium. She stood in the middle of the forest track, and smiled, an overflowing amount of memories coming back to her. She blinked.

 

 

What’s this? She crouched down, and picked up an extremely dirty, small green sweater.



Caleb’s… Caleb had worn this sweater on the day of the race. Tears pricked at Daniella’s eyes, as she picked up her cell phone, to dial George.



They drove silently to the police officer. Daniella handed the female officer the jacket, and explained where she found it.



“I find it curious that 40 years after his disappearance, and lots of years of us searching the forest, this appeared.” The officer said. Daniella frowned, but said nothing.



“Do you think he is still alive then.” The officer’s gray eyes darkened.



“Alive I can’t say, but he is still somewhere.” “He is 60 years old, and you think someone is still keeping him?!” The officer nodded slowly, as though half asleep. Daniella abruptly stood up and left.



At night, Daniella couldn’t sleep. She was thinking. It WAS curious that this sweater showed up, even after the police had searched. She shifted in the bed, and blinked back tears.

 

 

I need to stop grieving. He has been gone for 40 years, he isn’t coming back. I need to just forget…



The next morning Daniella blindly walked downstairs. She hadn’t slept at all. She felt free, and light. Daniella stumbled over to the freezer, and opened it, finding a tub of strawberry ice cream. She felt heavy with dread, as she slowly opened it.

 

 

I am forgetting! She grunted through clenched teeth. She grabbed a metal spoon, and slowly sunk it in the creamy mixture. She brought it to her mouth and swallowed.



“Honey, why are you eating ice cream for breakfast? I was going to roast bagels!” She stifled a laugh.



“I haven’t eaten ice cream in 40 years.” He laughed deep from his stomach.



“Well I haven’t bought ice cream in years, so that is way expired.” She gagged, and spit it out in the sink. The telephone rang. George picked it up. As the person talked, George turned to stare at her wide-eyed.



“We will be right there.” George dropped his coffee cup.



“What is it?” Daniella asked, heart pounding.



“They found the boy!” He hollered.



Daniella collapsed into tears. She fought to get to the car, as George helped her get in. They zoomed to the office, and ran inside. A huge swarm of officers we rolling a man on a white bed, into a small white room.



“Caleb…” She whispered.



She couldn’t cry anymore. She walked into the room. A nurse tried to stop her, then hesitated. Caleb was staring up at her with sparkling green eyes. Her tears dripped on his face. He looked so different. His sandy blond hair was now gray, and not brushed. He had an unshaven face, and his green eyes were dull. The officer slowly led Daniella out of the room.



 “We are going to do a questioning when he is better.” The officer said.



“I-I will leave,” She said, and walked out the door.



Days had passed, and Daniella hadn’t heard anything. She bought lots of ice cream, and ate it every day. She walked into her little old room, and to the little old desk in the corner. She bent down, and picked up her printing of “The Race: Wish You Were Here.”



She never finished editing it. She sat down on the tiny, old wooden chair, and flipped through the pages. She smiled sadly and laughed at the funny parts. She smiled wider than she had in 40 years.



In honor of Caleb, I’m finishing this book! She thought giddily.



The next day she got a call from the police station saying that Caleb was out of the hospital, and ready for questioning. She asked if he had already been questioned, and they said yes, but he said nothing. She sighed. Something was wrong about all of this. The police not telling her how they found him, and then Caleb not saying anything. Daniella heard the doorbell ring. She sat up straighter. As the doorbell rang again. She walked slowly down the wooden steps and opened the door. Caleb was standing at the door with a frantic, haunted expression.




“I need to talk to you.” Was all he said. Daniella gently took his shoulders, and lead him to a small floral sofa.



“Well Caleb.” He shivered.



“I-I need to talk about the disappearance, and what happened.” Daniella leaned in closer.



“I didn’t get kidnapped. I just left.” He paused to take a deep breath. “I needed a break. While I was running I just felt something inside me snap, and I just left. I wanted to be alone, especially after my wife, and two kids died from the same sickness. I went far away, out of the country to my hometown in Germany. I made it look like I had been kidnapped, so people actually cared for me, and went looking. I’m really sorry. I made a huge mistake.”



Daniella blinked so she wouldn’t cry. Fury was burying in every muscle in her body, just like at the race. Her dark blue eyes penetrating into Caleb’s.



“So, you are saying you went missing for 40 YEARS, and you had a wife, and two kids who all died, and then you FAKED being kidnapped, and you expect me to ever want to see you again!!!?? I cared about you!!!” She screamed.



“You may be 60, but you still are a stupid teenager!!!! You have no idea what pain I have been through, or how many tears I have cried.” She was shaking. Sadness sparked Caleb’s eyes.



“I didn’t want to hurt you…” She threw up her arms in frustration.



“You killed me! I loved you!!!! You betrayed me, and left me thinking I wouldn’t care!” She spewed a string of cuss words at him.



“Get out of my house now! You’re better off dead!” She screeched. He smiled so sadly, and tears poured out of his eyes, as he clasped his wrinkly hands together, and left.



Daniella got a note in the mail a few weeks later. She cautiously opened it, and read it.



We are so very sorry to inform you that Caleb Winter has passed away. He died of starvation after locking himself in a closet for two weeks. His funeral with be held next Monday at 2:00 pm. Thanks!”



The note came from the police officer she had met. She collapsed. I killed him! I wished him away! What have I done!? She cried, and cried, the note getting soaked.



“Oh Caleb. I wish I could kiss you again. You and I should have been married. I’m so sorry that I wished you away.”


May 17, 2020 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Sadia Faisal
07:24 May 28, 2020

nice story, please comment on my story and follow me and ike my story if you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:01 May 24, 2020

Hello everyone!!! Welcome to the thrilling sequel of Wish You Were Here!!!!! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks again!-Avery

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Li
15:23 May 19, 2020

I LOVE THIS

Reply

15:54 May 19, 2020

Aww thanks Emily! I'm reading your stories too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:31 May 19, 2020

Gut-level emotion.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ruth Porritt
03:49 May 18, 2020

Hello Avery, Wow, Caleb was a major arsehole! :) Honestly, I love reading about arsehole men, so to speak. (LOL.) So I immensely enjoyed reading what happened to Caleb. The only thing I can think of, to improve the tale, would be to edit the last two paragraphs. (For example, I wanted to know who sent the letter, and why no one was able to unlock the closet for two weeks.) In the last paragraph, I would leave the first two sentences, and I would re-write the rest of the paragraph. (For example, after the beginning sentences, you...

Reply

11:45 May 18, 2020

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely work on this! :))) You're so welcome!!!! Hope you have a great Monday too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
02:21 May 18, 2020

YES! Wow, you made my entire day! :) Am reading now. Just so you know, I am dedicating my next story to you. (on Reedsy) Thanks again, and catch you later, Ruth

Reply

11:43 May 18, 2020

Oh Ruth, you just made my morning, and whole day. I can't wait to read it!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christopher G
23:45 May 17, 2020

Wow! What a story! You have a creative imagination and a knack for twists. I enjoyed reading this work. Great job!

Reply

23:51 May 17, 2020

Thanks sooo much! I enjoy the feedback! :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
23:36 May 17, 2020

Hi, Avery! I love this story and your one before this; on the note of feedback, I noticed the dialogue itself is good, but it's hard to follow because of the paragraph spacing. This may be the computer or the website, but you might want to look into the paragraph starting for dialogue switches and some punctuation things like capitalizing certain things and leaving off periods and commas where they should go. You have solid stories and lovely characters so I would hate for someone not to read all the way through because of grammar errors. Th...

Reply

23:38 May 17, 2020

Thanks so much! I will fix the paragraphs, I don't' know what the problem there is. I have gone through my work for typos, but I will check again! Thanks for the feedback Rhondalise!!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
23:41 May 17, 2020

No worries, I'm glad you entered for this week's prompts! I think I entered two stories this week if you have time for some feedback on those. :)

Reply

23:41 May 17, 2020

Ok! I will look at those!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:59 May 17, 2020

OhmygoshthisisthebestsequelthatIhaveeverreadI'msosososoexcitedfortheprequelAHHHHH!!! Sorry, got a little excited there. Here's what I was trying to say : Oh, my gosh! This is the best sequel that I have ever read. I'm sooo excited for the prequel. AHHH!!! Seem clearer now? I'm rambling. Anyways, this is a great story and I'm looking forward to reading the prequel. Keep writing and stay safe! -Brooke

Reply

23:28 May 17, 2020

OMGG!!! Brooke, you are awesome! I am writing the prequel now!!!!!!!!! I have never had anyone sooo excited for my writing!!! I love it!!! :)))

Reply

00:25 May 18, 2020

Thank you! And you're welcome! :)))))) Looking forward to the prequel.... :)

Reply

11:42 May 18, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
19:16 May 17, 2020

WOW!!! Your story is soooo good! It gave me shivers! You are an amazing writer!

Reply

19:21 May 17, 2020

Wow!! Thanks sooooooooo much! :))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.