Contest #136 shortlist ⭐️

106 comments

Speculative Happy Creative Nonfiction

Your cursor blinks. 

Your cursor blinks ceaselessly. 

You delete ceaselessly. Adverbs are not your friend. Adverbs are indicative of weak diction, but you cannot think of a better verb to express the action just the way you want. 

Certainly you can use an adverb occasionally. 

You delete occasionally.  

You delete certainly.

You can use an adverb on occasion. 

You close your laptop. Your writing session is not going well. None of the five prompts are particularly inspiring.

You decide to take a break. Make a sandwich. Text a friend, who asks [wat r u doin] and you reply [writing]. 

You watch an episode of a new Netflix series. It’s a pile of meh, but you sit on your couch, slack jawed and mouth breathing. You start a second episode. It’s worse than the first! The characters are one-dimensional. The plot is implausible. The dialogue is clichéd. 

You could write something better. You watch six more episodes to prove your point. 

You could definitely write something better. 

You delete definitely

It’s the middle of the night now, and you’ve finished your pint of Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream. Having ingested 200% of your daily sugar allowance, your inner muses wake up, inspiring you to sit back down at your desk, to open up your laptop, and to create worlds of wonder.

In the blue-black hours of the night, you plan to conjure up the ghosts of authors from days of yore, bringing to bear (to bare?) their eternal insights about the human condition. You think of channeling Homer and Sophocles from Ancient Greece. Confucius, Lao Tzu from the Far East. And from the contemporary canon of literature? The esteemed E. L. James and Stephenie Meyer.

I write therefore I am. 

You tappity tap on your keyboard, smacking the keys with your potato chip greasy fingers. 

You manage to type in your password correctly on the first try (!) even though it contains characters like ~ and \ and /. No Eastern Bloc teenager from the dark web will hack into your bank account, which currently has a negative balance due to overdraft penalties. 

Irregardless. 

You delete Ir

Regardless. 

You open up your word processing program. A blissfully blank page appears, framed by helpful toolbars. Lots of toolbars. You wonder if anyone actually uses all that firepower when writing the great American novel, or, in your case, a 1000-word short story. Maybe you should incorporate subscripts or superscripts into your edgy prose? Maybe then some jaded judge would put you on the shortlist, since you’ve long given up on winning anything. 

You stare at the toolbars. You stare at the screen. 

Your cursor blinks.

Your cursor blinks and blinks and blinks, patiently waiting for your first word, phrase, or clause. 

Type something, dammit. Just type characters on the page.

fjklsdjfalksjfklasjfklajsklajfljaslkdsjfalk

The cursor still blinks, mesmerizing you on some level. 

Your heartbeat syncs to it.

Diastole. Systole. Diastole. Systole. 

As blood pushes from the right ventricle into your lungs to be oxygenated, oxygen-rich blood pours from the left ventricle into the heart, then out to all parts of your body. 

Of course you don’t remember any of this from your high school biology class. You just googled “heartbeat” like everyone else, since why remember anything? 

However, now that you are a writer, it may have been useful to learn grammar and composition in college. But the TA’s graded most of the work, and as long as you got it in on time, you usually got an A.

“Got” is one of those verbs that says nothing. You need to work on your verb choice. 

Procured an A.

Earned an A. 

Acquired an A. 

English 101 wasn’t really a class; it was more of an exercise on how to submit lightly plagiarized work into turnitin.com without being caught. 


Your cursor blinks. 

You blink back. 

The snowy white page makes you feel lonely. What if you have nothing relevant to say about the human condition? 

You remember back, thinking how much you’ve suffered throughout your suburban life. How you suffered in silence, stifled from the singularity of soul. How no one really understood your wit and wisdom, all wasted on a weary world. 

You remember how much alliteration matters in making magnificent manifestos. 

Like your adult education writing teacher told you in his “Creative Writing Begins with U!” class: “You don’t write good. You write well.”

You warm up your fingers.

fjklsdjfalksjfklasjfklajsklajfljaslkdsjfalk


You pick up your cell phone. 

What would happen if you “hey u up” your ex-girlfriend at 3:00 a.m.? 

Perhaps she still is your girlfriend. You haven’t texted her in a few days weeks, but you have been working on your novel short story.  

[hey u up]

[go to hell]


Your cursor blinks, now cruel in its own accusing way. 

I dare you, it blinks. Try to formulate a plot that hasn’t been plotted before. Even William Jefferson Shakespeare stole all of the plots to his plays from previous works. What makes you think you can fill the shoes of F. Scott Fitzgerald? Ernest Hemingway? Bill O’Reilly’s ghostwriter?


Who are you kidding? 

You are a hack. Your writing is flat and uninspired. Your themes are treacly, plots predictable. 

It’s time to quit pretending you have anything to say that’s worth writing down. 

But yet. 

You have an idea. 

You can spin one of these prompts on its head. You can figuratively, nay, tangentially bend the prompt to your flash of inspiration.  

You scribble down your idea before it disappears. 

Yes. YES. It will all work! 

Your fingers take on a life of their own. 

You are in THE FLOW. 

The setting appears in a technicolor epiphany. Vivid characters spring to life, arriving wholly intact with backstories—they are well rounded, fully developed, and universally relatable. Your readers will laugh with their joys and weep with their sorrows. And the plot? The plot unfolds like a spring flower. 

The cursor skips along with you, struggling to keep pace until you finally reach 1000 words. 


March 08, 2022 19:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

106 comments

01:50 Mar 15, 2022

As a current college student, your description of English 101 and turnitin.com made me laugh so hard! Such a fun read :)

Reply

15:00 Mar 15, 2022

Thanks, Katelin. My high school seniors have figured out how to beat turnitin.com at every turn. So, I guess I got them prepared for college??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shane Sardeson
22:03 Mar 14, 2022

I felt this story, so much. I don't use a laptop; I write old-school with a pencil and paper, but the bits about the cursor feels as though I'm tapping the pencil tip repeatedly to the paper; as words will miraculously flow forth.

Reply

23:58 Mar 14, 2022

Words come when they come. Hard to conjure them up when they are being stubborn :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:20 Mar 14, 2022

The existential dread that hit me reading this piece is REAL! I do usually enjoy writing, But when I force myself to write without those occasional bursts of energy, MAN! It's torture.

Reply

17:50 Mar 14, 2022

Aptly put. The inspiration to write is either there, or it's not. So hard to be witty and insightful without "bursts of energy..." and they come few and far between. Let me know when you post! I love reading your work.

Reply

21:00 Mar 14, 2022

It'll be my honour. The last story was underwhelming for me. I won't write in that simple style ever again. I just suck at it. Lol. Thank you for the compliment😀

Reply

23:56 Mar 14, 2022

Dude. You have talent. Just learn your craft. Practice practice practice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie B
16:23 Mar 14, 2022

Deidra, that was a rather amusing insight in the writing process. I particularly enjoyed the penultimate paragraph: "The setting appears in a technicolor epiphany. Vivid characters spring to life, arriving wholly intact with backstories—they are well rounded, fully developed, and universally relatable. Your readers will laugh with their joys and weep with their sorrows. And the plot? The plot unfolds like a spring flower." Very punchy rhymical progression with those words. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

17:47 Mar 14, 2022

I need Jools to read it : )

Reply

Stevie B
21:35 Mar 14, 2022

I'd be more than happy to make an introduction. Once she grants mw permission to share her email addy (normally takes about a day because of our different time zones) I'll forward to you.

Reply

23:57 Mar 14, 2022

Best of wishes for a quick recovery from your surgeries. I hope your two muses will take good care of you :)

Reply

Stevie B
10:22 Mar 15, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie B
14:15 Mar 15, 2022

Deidra, emailed Jools contact info this morning. Please confirm receipt. Thank you.

Reply

14:18 Mar 15, 2022

Got it, Mr. B. You are the best :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
01:18 Mar 14, 2022

Brilliant! Just brilliant!

Reply

Bradon L
18:42 Mar 15, 2022

Goofy and brilliant tend to go hand and hand in my world.😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:00 Mar 15, 2022

Or just goofy. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Enya Garcia
22:57 Mar 13, 2022

MC is me whenever i try to write something lol (currently have a story idea but nothing written down)

Reply

23:52 Mar 13, 2022

Same here. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:55 Mar 13, 2022

Ha! Both hilarious and relatable. Constantly iterating through the "rules of writing," becoming an absolute (Google-) expert on a topic for the sake of a sentence or two... spot on. It's a technically nice piece too. Second person works well here as do the strikeouts, which isn't something you normally see in fiction.

Reply

22:18 Mar 13, 2022

Thanks Michal. The Writer's Block was especially bad this week. Just trying to make lemonade out of a huge truckful of lemons. :) Onward!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
01:07 Mar 13, 2022

The most creative account of a case of writer's block overcome I've yet to read. The prose reminds me of Ali Smith's quartet of seasonal novels--my favorite literary works of the past 5 years. Plus, it's nice that you make lots of empty screen time pay off in the end. Icing on the cake.

Reply

14:27 Mar 13, 2022

After you comment, I had to research Ali Smith. She's brilliant, and I just ordered Summer. Thanks for the tip! The last author that thrilled me was Ian McGuire's "The North Water." Huge historical fiction fan :)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
03:21 May 08, 2022

Deidre, I apologize for the late reply, but if you're going to explore the quartet you must begin with Autumn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
00:32 Mar 12, 2022

This one hit HOME! My goodness. Ironically I felt the flow with this. I really enjoyed it as always.

Reply

14:32 Mar 13, 2022

The cursor taunts me. Daily.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elaina Wyrd
22:06 Mar 11, 2022

dude the form here is incredible this was SUCH a lovely read. always and forever i am down bad for second person and you executed so well...the human condition IS first suffering the judgmental stare of a blank document, and then spiting it. thanks for posting !!

Reply

14:33 Mar 13, 2022

Death to Blank Documents! Long live 2nd person POV.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Muka
15:58 Mar 11, 2022

I really, really enjoyed reading your story! It is very, very creative and witty! Totally extremely funny! Profoundly humorous and original! I actually read it to the end and totally loved it !! The best to you, Scotty (Not an adverb)

Reply

16:02 Mar 11, 2022

Scottly? Scottishly? Things for reading to the end. :)

Reply

Scott Muka
16:15 Mar 11, 2022

Ha, too funny 😉!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
21:15 Mar 10, 2022

Adverbially hilarious!😁 So story, very writer. I have to admit though, that if a prompt (or 5) doesn’t set off any fireworks in my brain, I just don’t. There’s not enough writing time for me as it is. My version of this would be: interrupting my writing to do a bit of (perhaps historical or scientific) research, going deeper than I need to for the story because data beckons with fluttering fingers and leads me down various paths … and Not Finishing Story In Time. Arrgh!!! One minor editorial note - surely an oversight, because your writin...

Reply

21:46 Mar 10, 2022

Mood on going down the internet rabbit holes ("Medieval torture devices!" "Bad Popes--including one you can't believe" "German Words You Need to Know Now") I almost like "ergardless" better. Thanks for the quality catch. Pro level editing :)

Reply

Cindy Strube
21:58 Mar 10, 2022

😉 (My mom bought me a little plaque: “I am silently correcting your grammar” . It’s just in me…)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
23:56 Mar 09, 2022

Chuckled and giggled all the way through! So many favorite parts! So relatable on so many levels! This part: "Of course you don’t remember any of this from your high school biology class. You just googled “heartbeat” like everyone else, since why remember anything?" - dear me, I was thinking, "how did she know this? She must be brilliant, right up until you admitted that you googled the information! Your story was amazing! Loved it!

Reply

00:05 Mar 10, 2022

Fake it until you google it :) Thanks for the read and the dopamine-inducing comment! Woo hooooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
05:09 Mar 09, 2022

You had me at Bill O'Reilly's ghostwriter ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Reply

14:58 Mar 09, 2022

Seriously.

Reply

15:01 Mar 09, 2022

Had to lampoon Twilight & 50 Shades, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
23:37 Mar 08, 2022

Hey! The sentence "None of the five prompts is particularly inspiring" is so relatable to me. I try to write stories on a daily basis from one of the prompts but sometimes it's just meh. Love the point of view and how you approached the prompt. Really good job!

Reply

14:58 Mar 09, 2022

Hey Shark! I'm amazed at your efforts to write every day. You're a great example to me. Onward :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
02:57 Mar 21, 2022

Deidra! Oh my goodness, I LOVE this. Thank you for creating our anthem. We needed this. I was cackling throughout. Also, I firmly believe you are now my spirit animal LOL!

Reply

15:56 Mar 21, 2022

Hooray! I'm so looking forward to our podcast on Saturday, May 7 @ 5:00 p.m. We can sing the song of writer's block together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
23:15 Mar 19, 2022

Hey, Deidra! This piece was so refined yet so relatable, and I really enjoyed reading it. Though I have to say, I feel slightly attacked by some of this, you have a way of calling out fellow writers. Lovely work as always. ~ Jasey :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
18:25 Mar 19, 2022

A kind of how to write put in a relatable and easy to understand way. Fine work for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maggie Gibbs
13:26 Mar 09, 2022

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 This is so spot on. I’m having trouble being inspired with this week’s prompts! This is 100% relatable and the struggle is real. Aside from that… the writing is fantastic. I love how you edited yourself throughout just to drive the point home. Amazing. This is why you’re on the leaderboard!

Reply

15:01 Mar 09, 2022

Thanks, Maggie. I enjoyed venting by proxy. I hope my fictitious writing-blocked character can get his mojo back, as well as his romantic and financial and dietary concerns.

Reply

Maggie Gibbs
15:02 Mar 09, 2022

🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.