1 comment

Sad Inspirational Indigenous

My name is Dogi. That's what mother calls me, that's what I am known to be. I'm a Koala from the Southern regions of Australia, and I am dead. 

I once lived by a tall gum tree in a bushland where I could run free. Where for hunger I had no need, because I had all the eucalyptus which on I could feed. Everything was all sleeping and all eating, until mother one day got news of worry. Our bushland was gradually becoming scanty land, the trees disappearing at a steady rate. One two a time, I would see three-four a man, with five-six some others, and seven-eight some tools. They would sometimes cart a tree away, and another time chop it to bits. Poor tree I thought, how sad you must be. I asked mother what was going on, she told me that we would be moving on, to a place where we would again be free, and have all the green that we could eat. 

One day so gay I went out to play, out in the forest I leaped on trees. I went to the river to see the fish, I played until my shadow I could see. Alas! When I went home, there was no home. Just an empty space and empty land. Perhaps I thought, I lost my way, that maybe to some other where, I had strayed. But then I saw my favorite rock, and it dawned on me that I was here. I wondered gently gently, where everyone had gone, where all the trees had gone. Maybe those same men, had carted away with ours as well. I then remembered mother's words of moving away, and thus I began my journey straightaway.

Time does speak to me. This time it spoke through the rumbling of my belly. It was dinner time, I was hungry. I looked around for some eucalyptus leaves, but there were none. I helped myself to just any leaf, and my belly paid the price that night. Morning came and I embarked on a double course. One, to find me some eucalyptus leaves, two, to find the others.

I journeyed on and I found some friends, many we're they, all moving did they. They were in situation like me, in predicament like me. Their home had been destroyed as well, lost to them like I was to mine. They too like me, were in search of a new home, a new place to stay. They we're Possums, the lot of them. Poor Mr. snake, Poor Mr. Fox they would miss one of their vital snacks. If only these men knew how by destroying our houses, they pursued us away and upset the food chain. Maybe they wouldn't do so, or maybe they needed someone to stand up to them, to tell them not to just come destroy our homes and houses. Maybe then they would stop. 

Soon on my journey, I became thirsty. My hunger never forgot me as he reminded me in sharp bites. But I was now thirsty. I left the party of my friends and went partly off the way, bidding them goodbye, not telling them why. I journeyed on to a stream, not so far away, not so close either way. I proceeded to drink to my fill on my arrival only when I was done did I realize that the water had a strange taste, only then did I notice that there were some fishes floating in the river, the white of their bellies turned upwards, showing a truce with death. Many they were, there they were, opening up their mouths, flowing down and out. I saw one who was still alive and I went to him, I asked him what happened and he told me with his last breath. He told me of the waste and toxic chemicals that the water they live in was fed. Told me of the dung and fung they were forced to live in a while, till their hearts couldn't take it anymore and was put to a stop. Then after uttering those words, he floated away, the white of his belly upturned, just as the rest. I wondered gently gently why humans will do as such. Why not recycle and reuse, all the waste they accumulate, instead of throwing it into the homes of these creatures. I thought, maybe if there were laws that prohibited dumping waste in the seas, maybe then they wouldn't do so, maybe then they would stop. As I left the river, I thought to myself. Poor Mr. bear, he would miss his delicious snacks. 

Many a times weariness would call me, I would refuse to answer, my will was my succor. But as time went by, I succumbed to his entreaties. I sat by a tree and began to think. These humans, who cut down our homes, who pollute the waters and affect our system. Maybe they know not what they do, and what impact it could have on them. From the loss of their food to eat, to loss of their materials for drugs. Because I know that about 200 billion pounds of human food were gotten from the oceans, plants as well for their research and drugs are gotten from the forests. So why won't they let our habitat survive, why would they harm us because of selfish benefits. Maybe they didn't know, because if they did, they wouldn't persist. Maybe some were stubborn to understand, but if there were laws and punishments, they would heed.

There is yet still hope anyways, if they would stop now and think. If they would stop those who pollute and destroy our habitats. If they would receive our bushlands by planting, and conserve our biodiversity. Such were my thoughts, such was my mind. I remembered mother so high and my brothers so nigh. I won't see them again, all end to no gain. Such were my thoughts, as the darkness came and I slipped into the quiet 

April 17, 2021 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nina Chyll
15:52 Apr 26, 2021

I really liked this line here: 'One two a time, I would see three-four a man, with five-six some others, and seven-eight some tools.'

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.