42 comments

High School Teens & Young Adult

Closing my locker, I watch Willow walk past, strutting her hips as if there's music playing. On me, it would have looked ridiculous. But on her, it's the total opposite.

Willow is that girl. You know, the girl who makes boys swoon, and the girl who every girl wishes to be. And......then there's me. The red-haired freak who everyone stays away from. The closest person I can call a friend at this school is probably the librarian, who is the only one who understands my fear of technology.....sheesh I got shivers just from saying the word.

The bell rings, and everyone rushes to their class. I look at my schedule: BIOLOGY, MS. ANDERSON

I groan, mumbling about my luck. Ms. Anderson is rumored to be about 86 years old.......you get what i'm talking about.

I walk inside the class, and notice that everyone is already there.

"Nice of you to join us, Coralynn. Can you explain to us why you are late?"

I flush, and nod my head shyly.

"That's what I thought. Now, go to your seat."

I walk to my seat, not daring to look around knowing all eyes are on me. The class begins, and I begin to daydream, not even aware of what's happening in class.

"Coralynn....Coralynn!" Ms. Anderson screams in my ear. I quickly come back to the surface, and see that she is looking at me with ferocious eyes. "Stay after class." She says, with a hardness in her voice. We continue with class, and then she comes in. Besides being 32 minutes late, Ms. Anderson greets Willow with a warm smile.

"Why, hello Willow! You're just in time, we were about to start our experiment! Just make your way to your seat and we can get started."

I wish she could talk to me like that.

The bell rings after a while, and we all get up. "Coralynn. Come here." Damn, I thought she would have forgotten by now.

I walk to her desk, and she watches the student leave, until the very last one closes the door.

"So, we need to talk about your grades. Pull up a chair, if you may." I do as she says, already knowing why she wants to talk about my grades.

"I understand you go through....some issues with technology, but you need to become flexible. You know that almost 70% percent of our work is online. Get over your fears, or you aren't going to pass."

"But-"

"No buts. I'll see you tomorrow."

I walk out of the classroom, feeling nauseous. I go to the bathroom, and overhear....Willow?

"Girl, you're failing? Damn, I have straight A's, and if they fall from that I'm dead at home. Haha, yea."

I feel bad for eavesdropping, but why should I? Miss Little Perfect has everything she could wish for, why should I care.

I wish I was as pretty as her.

I wish I was as liked as her.

I wish my grades were as good as hers.

Once I hear that she's gone, I make my way to the library, which is like my "safe spot." I greet Mrs. Delia, a middle aged woman who is as sweet as honey.

"Hey darlin! I got a book for you, Kathryn Colby, your favorite!

"Thanks Mrs. Delia, put it aside for me! She does, and I look at the humongous library. Ahh, I love this place.

I straight into it, and turn left to my favorite part of the library, the thrillers. I find my book, and make my way to "the lounge" which is basically this little area in the library, that not a lot of people know of. It's pretty limited, me and a few other people. But when I get there, it's....already occupied?

To my surprise, Willow, the girl who is intrigued by Chanel and Louie Vuitton, is sitting...in the library?!?!?

"Are you going to stand their staring at me, or are you gonna come sit down and start reading?" She asks.

"Oh, er, i'm gonna sit."

I sit down and dive into my book until Willow starts talking.

"I know your failing Biology. I heard what Ms. Anderson said."

I was suddenly angry for her eavesdropping, but didn't I eavesdrop on her?

"I wasn't eavesdropping, if that's what you think. I volunteer for a shelter nearby, and was just passing by to see if she wanted to donate anything."

Great, she volunteers too.

"You seem like a nice gal, Coradynn?"

"Coralynn." I say, cracking a small smile.

"So, why are you always alone?"

"Er..I don't think thats up to me. No one else wants to talk to me."

She goes quiet, as if she's thinking about something.

"I pity you, to be honest. I was like you once before. How about this, come over to my house at 5, K?

"Uhm....ok?"

"See you later, Loser." She winks, her blond hair flowing behind her.


Hours after, school ends, but I still have Willow on my mind. What did she want from me? Why did she want me to go to her house? I walk inside my house, greeting my mom and walking to my room. I drop my backpack on the floor, and go to the mirror. I pose, looking at myself deeply.I sigh, giving up. I look at the time again, 3:59 PM.

I go downstairs, and make myself a bowl of cereal.

"How was school, dear?"

"It was good mom, how was work?"

"Fine, boring as always." My mom says, laughing.

"I'm going to a, er, friends house later. Is that ok?"

Her face visually brightens, hearing that.

"Of course! I've been waiting for this ever since I had you, the day you would ask me to go out!"

I wince, but laugh with her. I chat with her for another thirty minutes until I see the time on the antique clock that my aunt Rebecca got us last Christmas.

"Oh shoot, I gotta get going mom! See you later!" I get my backpack, and run out of the door. I'm so curious of what Willow wants me to come over for.

I don't know where she lives, but my mom goes to her mom's club, so I think I have an idea.

I go to what I think is her house, and score! She opens the door, and seems happy to see me.

"Coralynnie! Come in, I was waiting for you." She says, ignoring the sudden nickname she gave me.

She guides me to her room, giving me a chocolate and sea salt granola bar with her.

We sit, and she gets down to business.

"So, before I came to Fillian High, I was just like you. I was like, a nerd, if you know what I mean. Like, no offense, but I was just like how you are now, not appreciated. "

"But, I had this friend, and she recommended me this app. It's an app that basically takes over you and makes you, an "it" girl. Like me, for instance. That app changed my life. Now, I know fashion, how to get good grades, and how to get everyone to like me! You should get it, give me your phone."

I look at her weirdly.

"Uhm, I don't have a phone....and don't seem to be wanting one any time soon. "

She returns the weird look.

"Now I get why people don't hangout with you, no offense! But you don't have a phone?!?"

"Yea. I don't want one either."

"Ok. Well, what about your laptop or ipad?"

"Don't have those either..?" I say sheepishly.

She scoffs.

"Then what the hell do you do in your free time?"

"Er, read?"

She looks at me like i'm crazy.

"Girl, you need some help, and I don't think I'm the one able to help you. Sorry boo!"

It's like her personality flipped in a second. One second ago, she was this innocent girl and the next, a total phony. Oh well, they all go crazy when I tell them that I don't electronics. I know my welcome has now ended, so I get up and leave, not saying another word to her.

Most people think i'm a lunatic when I tell them i'm a telephobe, but they don't understand it. Electronics hypnotize you, make you scared of yourself. You scroll through photos of models and feel bad about yourself. You read dark humor and laugh at the sadness of the joke. I don't want to be like that.

Walking back home, I feel I made the right decision, leaving her house. I'm perfect the way I am, liked or disliked, beautiful or not, eduactionally perfect or not.


I'm Coralynn, the telephobe.

February 19, 2021 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

22:30 Feb 28, 2021

I loved this story. 🙂 I think it would be great to expand on it. The main character is relatable. Have you considered making a longer piece with it?

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:42 Feb 28, 2021

Not yet, but I might! Thanks so much for your kind words!

Reply

23:59 Feb 28, 2021

Hope you do!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
HC Edwards
03:52 Jan 30, 2024

Not gonna lie…the insecurity of this story took me back to high school…guess you never really leave it all behind

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:55 Mar 28, 2021

Super weird! I mean, not a bad thing at all though. I love your idea here, and your dialogue is on point! Lol, I know I put some heavy critique on your first story about tone, but you’ve done it great here! Maybe it’s the type of character? What I like doing to help tone is to just keep writing in different tones over and over again, even if your bad in it. Try to imitate people and their problems. For me, it also helps keep me grounded a little in the sense of identity crisis :)

Reply

Nora Ouardi
15:15 Mar 28, 2021

Nah, don't worry about the critique, it actually helps me for my other stories. I think once you read all the stories in order (So Heights was my first story, This story is my second, and then Orchids is my most recent) you will see that I slightly improve after reading criticism. This story WAS super weird, I felt so silly writing it because it felt like I was writing a kids book 😭 But anyways thank you for your comments and critism!

Reply

15:27 Mar 28, 2021

Lol, I think you can see from my comments that you improved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chloe Davidson
16:17 Mar 11, 2021

Nora, I love this story and it really reflects the main charceters feelings.I feel upset with the ending hut only becuase I love it so much and wish to see more.( I deeply aplogize for the spelling errors also.)

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:26 Mar 11, 2021

Thank you so much! Don't feel upset - maybe I'll make a sequel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
15:23 Mar 08, 2021

The ending was the best along with the whole story. I love the message about not changing yourself and more people have to listen to this message and stay true to themselves. You are an amazing writer and I am looking forward to reading some more of your stories in the future. Hope we can be friends :)) ~Palak Shah

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:48 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you so, so much Palak! I always look forward to feedback, and yours made my day! I'm glad you liked the story, because I was a bit nervous writing it. But thank you, and I would love to also be friends!

Reply

Palak Shah
10:53 Mar 09, 2021

It was a brilliant story and its fine to get nervous when writing ; I always am but just keep on writing because you are a fab writer.

Reply

Nora Ouardi
12:39 Mar 09, 2021

;)

Reply

Palak Shah
18:51 Mar 12, 2021

Could you please check out my latest story. Thanks a lot. ~Your friend Palak :))

Reply

Nora Ouardi
19:02 Mar 12, 2021

sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Love the story! Honestly like I was just hating Willow the entire time, especially when the teacher started playing faves, oooooo... Keep it up!

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:46 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you so much! I was kinda nervous making this honestly, because it felt a bit "wattpad-ish" in way, but I'm glad you like it!

Reply

Yess no problem! Don't worry I get nervous too XD allllll the time while writing lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angela Halubobya
21:47 Mar 04, 2021

This is a beautiful bed relatable piece💕💕

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:47 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Holly Fister
18:59 Mar 01, 2021

I love that this is a story about her staying true to herself instead of changing. Well done!

Reply

Nora Ouardi
19:06 Mar 01, 2021

Thank you so much Holly!

Reply

Holly Fister
19:40 Mar 01, 2021

I’m a hard core technophobe, but I liked how you called her a telephobe, haha!

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:04 Mar 01, 2021

I feel you! I was so torn between the two terms, I just went with the easier term because im lazy 😭

Reply

Holly Fister
22:09 Mar 01, 2021

I wasn’t saying it was a bad choice, just that I liked your term 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel Elle
15:51 Mar 01, 2021

What a cool story! It’s kind of like Mean Girls meets Beauty and the Beast...without the romances. Lol. You are a good writer and will be a great one! Thank you for sharing 🌼

Reply

Nora Ouardi
18:25 Mar 01, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Owen
22:24 Feb 28, 2021

I went to school with "that girl too!" I like the use of the word flipped-like in flip phone. The misunderstood fear of everyday technology. * Maybe capitalize the I'm in a few places.* Spelling-educationally

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:41 Feb 28, 2021

Oh my-you're right! Rookie Mistake! But thank you for your review!

Reply

D. Owen
10:12 Mar 01, 2021

Anytime

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
11:13 Feb 24, 2021

Great story, Nora! I love the descriptions you used for this story, oohh, don't get me started on the dialogues! You write so well, and the plot... I looooooooooooooooove it, I love stories like these XD The best part though... It's the ending, I like how you resolved the story, it's amazing! Great work, Nora! Happy writing :)))

Reply

Nora Ouardi
12:38 Feb 24, 2021

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Danny -
12:44 Feb 24, 2021

No problem :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nora Ouardi
12:39 Feb 24, 2021

I was kinda unsure about writing this tbh cause it seemed kinda childish, but im so glad you like it!

Reply

Danny -
12:44 Feb 24, 2021

It's not, I think it's amazing! Keep up the great work :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Nora Ouardi
20:51 Feb 22, 2021

hey!

Reply

Nora Ouardi
14:24 Feb 25, 2021

└(^o^)┘

Reply

Um... should I say somethign?

Reply

Nora Ouardi
22:05 Feb 25, 2021

dijfdsihuofish lmaoo idk 😭

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.