0 comments

Science Fiction Drama Adventure

Time travelling was not as fun as the movies made it out to be. Selene Wesley could only see white as her ears rang, her head feeling like it's about to explode. The floor beneath her seemed to wobble even as she stood still. She would've fallen over if her hand did not reach something stable to hold herself steady. The world before her only came into focus after what felt like twenty minutes. It was a horrible feeling Selene didn’t wanted to experience again(though it would be inevitable for the way home).


Once she finally found her bearings, she realized how pleasant the sun felt on her skin. It was comforting to find something familiar after that whirl of madness that was time travel. Selene felt the smooth wood of a park bench beneath her hand, and smiled. It was a success. She had managed to get that time machine working after her whole life time of research, and with the help of many wonderfully supportive scientists. Excitement thrummed through her veins as she took her first steps in this new time.


Maybe after the success of her life project, she could head home and spend more time with her family. With her husband, Henry, and their little angel. The thought of spending time and being able to repair their broken marriage made her smile.


Selene, as a scientist, understood the dangers of messing with time and space, so she knew not to cause too many disturbances. With a large breath of fresh sweet air, she began a slow and discreet walk around to survey the area. Trees filled her view as she hiked towards sounds of chattering and piano music. The soft melody drew her close, and Selene couldn't help but find that familiar. The thicket of trees eventually cleared out to an open field, where streamers and banners hung from drones above. 


Rows of chairs were decked out and a person sat on every one. Except the couple down the walkway, who stood for the vows. The bride wore a beautiful white wedding dress and the husband wore the suit. Flowers were strewn about and worn within the bride's hair as she stood facing her soon to be husband. The two looked at each other with so much adoration and love, it made Selene quirk a small smile.

The wedding vows were said, sincerely as could be, and the kiss was long and joyous. Applause resounded in the forest, everyone happy for the new husband and wife. It was only when the couple turned around to face the audience did the procession pause for a brief moment. They had noticed her arrival near the end of the field. 


Selene had decided to pretend to be lost and ask around for the location after the wedding was finished, but it seemed that they had found her to be a little too disturbing. She gave them a nod and was about to go on her way to avoid annoying them any longer. Only then did the bride turn from her husband to face Selene, and going frigid in her husband's arms. 


Selene raised an eye brow at the action as the bride whispered something shecould not hear. As Selene was about to leave yet again, the bride began a brisk walk towards her, much to the crowd and her own husband's shock and surprise. At first, Selene thought the woman was going to scold her for interrupting the wedding, but then she saw the expression on the bride's face. There were so many emotions that Selene could barely understand as the bride made her way over. But one was very evident: grief. 


The bride's features cleared up as she came close; olive skin, brunette hair, curling down her back, and a pair of forest green eyes Selene could never forget. 


With a shaking hand, the bride grabbed onto Selene's shoulder, her eyes with unshed tears. "...Mom?" 


Selene's voice was stuck in her throat. How did this happen? It was her tiny angel, all grown up into a beautiful woman. "Lottie?" Her daughter's name came out as a whisper. And at that one word, the bride burst into tears, wrapping her slender arms around her mother.


Charlotte had grown taller than Selene, towering over her with at least two inches, but still buried her sobs into her mother's shoulder. Selene herself awkwardly slung an arm around the gorgeous bride that was her daughter.


Charlotte's husband rushed over at the sight of his beloved crying, worry visible on his face. He was hesitant to pry his wife away from this woman, who seemed barely older than Charlotte. Lottie's grip on Selene was iron tight.


"Who...? What is happening?" The question seemed to be directed at Selene, who was also confused at the developments. 


"Ah, I'm Selene. Um, a friend. " She would've extended a hand to shake if it weren't for the sobs on her shoulder. Her name somehow seemed to bother the husband, but he hid his shock exceptionally well.


"Well, uh, I'm Trevor Hugh.” His brow furrowed before he added: “...A pleasure.” With that, Trevor turned around to walk back to stand next the priest who also stared at her strangely. Selene was sure no one from the audience, and especially not the priest, was close enough to hear Charlotte's utter of 'mom'. It was odd that the audience, whom Selene was sure she's never met, looked at her so bizarrely. 


The wedding went on as per usual, with the exception of the bride being absent. Charlotte had followed her mom to the remote park bench. It seemed that no one dared disturb them as Lottie finished her crying with a few more sniffles.


"Hey, you alright?" Selene prodded gently. "I know this comes as a shock, but you know...“ She paused, not sure how to begin explaining. ”...I was a scientist." She didn't exactly know how to speak to the grown up version of Lottie just yet.


Charlotte nodded, her eyes now downcast. "...Yeah. I know."


"Well then. I was researching-"


"Time travel. You researched time travel." Charlotte stated to cut her mother off. Selene didn't know why, but it looked like Charlotte disliked to talk about Selene's job.


"Yes, and so I'm here now. I'll be going back soon after documenting where and when I've landed, so I'm glad we got to talk." Charlotte was silent, and seemed like she was going to start shedding tears again. Only after a few minutes of silence did Charlotte finally grit out a quiet 'No'.


"Lottie..?"


"I said no!" Charlotte almost seemed to be angry. "You're not..." She fell silent again.


"Charlotte, I'm not what?" Selene inquired, wholly baffled, her hand on Lottie's arm in an attempt to comfort her. Charlotte's voice cracked as she spoke out the one sentence that shattered Selene's heart to a million pieces.


"...Mom... You... never came back." It was mutter as Selene fell back, her hand dropping to her side. How was that... even possible?


"What... What do you mean by.." Selene felt her stomach drop at the thought that crammed into her mind. If she never went back... What about her broken marriage? Henry, and Lottie, both of whom she loved to bits, they thought-


"We thought you abandoned us mom..." Charlotte spoke through sobs, her wedding make up, although natural, already mostly gone. "...We thought you went to work and never came back."


"I didn't- I would never.." Selene stammered through her many guilty and grief-filled emotions. She left(and never came back) with a waiting husband and daughter thinking she deserted them. "No.. I can fix this- I can go back..."


"Mom..?"


"Lottie, I'm gonna get back. I'm going to be there for you. For your tenth birthday, for your sixteenth, for all of them. I should be there.." Selene grappled with the device that she pulled from her bag. The buttons she pushed did nothing. It was... out of battery.


"What happened.. Mom?" Charlotte stopped her sobs slowly, before looking over at the device. There was silence fore a moment, before Charlotte's eyes lit up some, her tears drying gradually. With a small smile, she asked: "Does it not have battery?"


Selene nodded a bit embarrassingly. "Well," The expression that Selene looked up to was one of a beautiful smile, despite her red rimmed eyes. "I have a spare battery in the car. Let's go get it." 


Selene found Lottie's smile to be contagious(like it's always been), and smiled back as Charlotte lead the way to her car. They talked during the walk, a bit awkwardly, but not as awkward as Selene would've expected. 


The conversation was light and happy, and Charlotte told her mom that she loved her despite what was thought of her. Selene was so glad she wasn't despised by her Lottie, as she would've expected, and reached out to give her daughter a hug. 


Charlotte stepped off the sidewalk, with Selene's hands almost reaching her. The silhouette of a car could be seen in the corner of Selene's eyes, driving much too fast to be anywhere near a park. In a moment of clarity and understanding, Selene knew what she needed to do. In one swift motion, Selene pushed Charlotte out of the way, stepping into her place.


Charlotte fell on her backside as the car's wheel crunched the discarded time device on the ground. Her eyes widened with horror, as the words 'I love you' was uttered from her mother's lips, a fraction of a second before Selene was gone, flung across the road like a rag doll. The car screeched to a halt a bit farther down from the frozen bride, leaving marks on the ground. Hair disheveled and make up ruined, Charlotte finally understood why her mom never came back.


August 30, 2020 08:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.