27 comments

Fantasy Fiction Funny



The year was 1476, February 28.


A flagon of mead slammed onto the table first, then two plates piled with fresh cooked pork, the fat still sizzling and popping.


It was after midnight. The tavern was dark and noisy, but warm.


Val leaned forward, shouting above the din, “I think we have our dragon slayer, Fid.”


‘How could she tell?’ He wondered. He could barely discern her features even though she was sitting across the table from him. Still, he paused and squinted into the smoke-filled squalor of the main room, saw nothing and continued eating. Most of the smoke was from the wooden embers under a bevy of pigs being roasted in large pits out back, with occasional whiffs of tobacco as well. The smell of fresh baked bread permeated the air more powerfully than the aromatic pork. A slight, boney apparition appeared out of the gloom, tossing the remains of the previous patron’s meal into a tin bucket, then dousing the table with water and salt and scrubbing it with a brush that required both hands. A cup of water rinsed it all off. She swept the excess water off the table with a gloved hand, tossing some at him in the process. She might have smiled before hustling off into the smoke and murk, but he had no way of knowing. “How can you tell?” He asked Val.


“I can practically smell him,” she said. Her strange sense was correct, as a tall, unusual stranger emerged from beyond the wick-light, walking slowly. “That’s him,” she said.


Fiditch hailed him. “Oy, stranger, are you looking for someone?”


“Possibly,” he replied. “Be you Fid, the grave-digger?”


“I am,” Fid replied.


“I’m Ernest, Of Feltenshchmere, by the Gelb.” He wore buckskin overclothes, a hairy hat, thick leather boots and gloves.


Fiditch invited him to sit down. “Come. Join us. It’s a large table, plenty of room,” he stuck out his hand, “Fiditch, Fiditch Cloddenhill. Some call me Fid. And this is my partner, Val.” He turned and hollered for service: a fresh cup, more bread and mead.


Before seating himself, Ernest of Feltenschmere removed a sword from his belt, sheathed in a fine scabbard, and laid it on the table, revealing an ornate hilt of royal quality, even to someone who knew nothing about longswords. Having done so, he sat down, tore a chunk of bread from the loaf, checked it for mold, dunked it into his mead, and tossed the whole chunk cleanly into his mouth. “You were saying?”


“How was your trip?”


“Why do you ask?”


“I know from personal experience that the road from here to Bogford is rife with thieves, everything from petty bandits to ruthless outlaws. Yet all your parts seem wholly unscathed.”


Ernest shook his head, ripping more bread from the loaf, holding it up, looking it over. In a loud voice he said, “Perhaps they feared the sword, as well they should. It’s practically sacred in some realms, belonged to a chap named Alfraed, as I understand it." In a lower voice he said, "It’s a fair exchange for a dragon, should one actually exist.” Having mentioned a dragon, he gained their undivided attention. “I’m a stranger here. Tell me. My only interest is the dragon.”


Spitting out a piece of dottle, Fiditch leaned toward the stranger and said, in a hoarse whisper, “We, are the unfortunate landlords of a dragon, Val and I, a sleeping dragon, which we do not want, nor need.”


The stranger, Ernest, did not fully hide his skepticism. Dragons were large, these two cretins could hardly own enough land to conceal a toadstool, let alone a proper dragon. “How big is it?” He asked.


“It’s huge,” Fiditch replied.


“How many heads?”


“Heads? We only know of one.”


“What color was it?”


“We wouldn’t know. Would we Val? It was dark.”


Val shook her head.


“She says ‘No.”


“Do you think it could?”


“Could what?”


“Change color.”


“I wouldn't know. Does it matter?” Fiditch said. "Are you not about to slay it dead?"


Ernest stared at him, “You don’t know anything about dragons, do you?” He shook his head, “The color of the dragon tells me what powers it has.”


Ernest finished his mead, stood and said, “Come. Take me to the dragon.”


“Now?” It was fast approaching 1 a.m.


“Can you show me where you last saw it?”


“We can take you right into its lair, Romeo. But it’s late, cold, bitter, and getting colder by the minute.”


Ernest unsheathed the four foot sword and held it above the table, the flame from every candle in the room fought for the privilege to be reflected in the blade of that beautiful sword. The entire tavern went quiet. No further action was required to induce the couple to lead him to the dragon without further delay.


They reached their destination in the full of dawn. Ernest shed his cloak and tossed it across the back of the rented horse, then peered through the mist at their destination, it was a cockeyed thing, a cemetery in the moor. Leaning headstones amid lumpy hillocks and gates entwined in ancient vines, some of which had been so firmly embraced, as to be pulled out of skew and joint; open graves and piles of dirt so black, one could scarcely imagine a more thorough, compulsory, decomposition.


And yet, the graveyard was in disarray.


The fog returned to obscure the view, even thicker than before.


His two dirty guides seemed stunned by the sight themselves, which confirmed Ernest’s intuitive supposition.


“There’s something amiss here, isn’t there.”


“It looks abandoned—but it isn’t,” Fiditch swore. “This place is well-kept… Or was.”


“Tell me what happened again.”


“We were just digging a sample grave…”


“A simple grave, go on.”


“No, a sample grave, Val likes to practice. A simple grave too, it was near to completion when the bottom of the grave fell out from under us. “And there we were…”


Val hissed. “There I was.” Those were the first three words she had uttered in Ernest’s presence. He thought she was a mute. “In the midst of a great cavern, a vast cavern, right under our blood-thirsty feet. Can you imagine?” She looked down. “It’s right under us.”


Ernest nodded, looking around too. “And?”


“I’d only fallen one or two meters and landed right on my feet. The ground was soft and forgiving. There was a strange light in the cave and me eyes were adjusting when the ground moved, rising to meet the roof of the cave. I feared meself in for a-mushing and hollered for Fiditch to save me, I did.”


“And why didn’t you fall in?” He asked Fiditch.


“I was sittin’ on the lip o’ the grave, and she hollered all right, but I told her later, I couldn’t see a thing. For all I knew she could’ve fallen straight to hell.”


“And yet I was just below the hole I fell through,” Val pointed out, “and this great, big, fancy head swings around out of the darkness, as if it was in a daze, and opens one of its’ great eyes. I'll never forget it. It was about to take me to a better world when I gathered me wits and leaped…”


Fiditch interjected, “She jumped straight up out of that hole this high,” he indicated a height equal to hers, “and I snatched her out of midair.”


“I be fuzzy on the details," Val added. “I just jumped, next thing I know, I’m hangin’ in the air and he’s got me by the scruff of my coat.”


“Thank the Lord Almighty,” Fiditch added, “or she’d have gone right back down into that hole and I probably wouldn’t soon be seeing her again.”


Val scratched an armpit while Fiditch gazed at her affectionately; Ernest scratched his head. Whether it was clear to them or not, the dragon had deliberately ejected her. “When did this happen?”


“Three, four nights ago. We were surprised you turned up so soon. We only just put the word out a day or two ago.”


“And you haven’t seen it since then."


“No. And it’s just as well. People are touchy about dragons around here. Don’t know why. Don’t care to know." He looked around nervously. "I see you brought that magical sword.”


Ernest looked about, spotted an old stone greenhouse surrounded by brush, covered in vines, a couple of cracks in the mortar, the door ajar. “The sword is for people, not dragons, Fiditch, and it isn’t mine anyway, so I’ll be leaving it with you. It’ll be worth a million pounds someday. Or more.” Pointing at the greenhouse, he said, “That looks more suitable, be a good fellow and fetch me that pitchfork, will you please?”


Fiditch’s eyes grew wide. “You intend to slay that dragon with a pitchfork? We could well have sold tickets for a death as spectacular as yours will be.” Fiditch turned to Val and added, “I have mates in Spitmore would pay with glee to see this fellows offing.”


“Hangings are still free,” was her retort.


“I’ve no plans to murder it,” Ernest said, “I just need something to poke it with.”


“And then what?” This was Val, the voice of reason. “We need to take cover, Fiditch. The look in that creature’s eyes? Would turn stone to water and back again.” She began looking around for cover, none too furtively.


“Let me explain something to you two,” Ernest said, after retrieving the pitchfork himself. “Different dragons, have different powers.” He’d already explained it five times on the way here last night, but they were ignorant, impoverished grave-diggers.


“This dragon, the one you’ve disturbed, appears to affect time.”


The two grave-diggers looked at each other, then at Ernest. “What, master Ernest, is a ‘time?”


He dared not show them his chronometer, but they understood time. He said, “Remember what you did before you were grave-rob, grave-diggers?”


Fiditch shrugged. “I remember suckin’ on me mudder’s teat?”


“You don’t remember what you did before digging graves?” He suspected they were playing dumb.


Val laughed. Ernest jabbed the pitchfork in the ground. “See this handle?”


“Oye, yessir,” they both nodded obediently.


“This handle, is ‘now.”


“Yeah?”


“Yeah. And everything over here, on this side is before, ‘ere now’ and everything on the other side is what’s-to-come, or ‘after’ now.”


Their faces looked troubled. “What’s on either side, then? What’s up? What’s down? What’s out here?” Fiditch asked.


“Look,” Ernest said, his patience at an end. “The longer I delay collecting this beast, the further he takes us into the future. This is no detriment to me, or him, he's a dragon, I have special permissions from the Dragon Relocation Corp. I can go to any era, or time I want to, but you two? You’re stuck wherever the dragon leaves you,” He consulted a device in a pocket, “It seems the British (that's you) have bested the Spanish Armada, you expanded but now the American colonies are in revolt, in another few minutes, you could end up in the midst of a world war, and it shouldn’t be necessary if I just get on with it.”


“Ha!” Fiditch said. “A world war is it now? And we have no revolting colonies, anywhere. He folded his arms across his chest. “You keep the pitchfork—and doon what you willest doon, but please give us nae more of your unnatural soothsaying, Sir Ernest.”


Ernest swore under his breath and yanked the pitchfork out of the ground, striding out among the headstones. He gravitated toward the most disturbed of the recent graves and tossed the pitchfork precisely through the hole and into the chamber and into the hide of the great a-mythical beast. It stirred, groaned and burst effortlessly through the ground and earth, then it rose, spilling dirt, headstones and rotted coffins to the ground as it unwound itself to its full height, like a fantastic double-helix. It issued from its’ maw an ear-splitting screech that seared the heavens with sound, then clapped its jaws a few times as if it had a bad taste in its mouth.


Fiditch and Val lay on the ground in the fetal position, eyes pinned shut, hands covering their ears as the creature loomed over the three of them.


“What do you want?” The dragon said, in a deep, melodic voice.


“I’m here to rescue you,” Ernest said.


“Oh.” The dragon replied, swinging his great head lower, to get a closer look. “Okay, that’s good. You wouldn’t believe what a nightmare this place is…”


Ernest shook his head and raised his voice. “Please. You don’t have to tell me. I know. Wonderful planet, dreadful inhabitants. I have to hear it from every single dragon.”


“No. I don’t think you understand, this planet is horrible! War, pestilence, plague, superstition, ignorance, greed. Over and over and…”


So there was a second head. Ernest held up his hand to both heads. “Please. Stop. I know. Can we go now?” Time was accelerating. Two more world wars had come and gone while they stared at one another, and the dragon finally blinked. (Having finished taking a huge and rarely discussed dump.) “Okay. I’m ready.”


No one ever considers what comes out of that end of the dragon.


Hand upheld, holding his nose with the other, Ernest snapped his fingers and they both disappeared.


With the sound of shuffling cards, two-hundred-thousand days and nights filed themselves into eternity as the dragon’s artificial time-warp snapped shut. Val and Fiditch raised their heads and pushed themselves off the ground, brushing the dirt from their breeches. The first thing that terrified them was the keening roar of a giant silver passenger jet on final approach to Gatwick.


When it had passed, Val was unperturbed. Where they were, she couldn’t say, but wherever it was, the priceless sword had come with them.


Is it true?


On a hill overlooking Shallowford sits a solitary cemetery with no more than three-dozen graves. It’s hardly worth the trouble, but two of the headstones placed side by side claim that the occupant was born in 1461, the other headstone declares that the occupant was born in 1460. The peculiar thing is that both headstones give the date of death as 1985. The headstones are fairly new too. And no on knows anything about them.



October 07, 2023 03:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Mary Bendickson
21:21 Oct 07, 2023

Learn more about dragons with every story. Didn't know there were so many varieties.🐉 Thanks for liking my Where the Wild Things Aren't. A much simpler dragon tale.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
00:28 Oct 09, 2023

I haven't read any of the dragon stories yet, Mary, looking forward to it though. Hope they're better than mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
12:20 Oct 07, 2023

Time travelling dragons, feel like you just started when it ended cause I want to know more! The opener in the tavern nailed the prompt, was mighty sensual...no sensory...sexual? Nope definitely not that. Regardless of the exact word it was very descriptive and great at setting the medieval scene. That continued through to the graveyard, had spooky Halloween vibes. But the sci-fi twist really pulled me deeper in, so deep it was like falling down a big hole and bouncing off a dragon. To be left some on the table with Ernest, he would be a g...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
00:15 Oct 09, 2023

(This is undoubtedly the crappiest story I've written in quite some time.) I appreciate your comments and observations, Kevin, but I'm tempted to delete this story from the thread. It seems rough, unpolished and too wordy, despite investing so much time in it. It has some great ideas, and all in all, conceptually, I really like it, but I was still trying to create the ending while I was polishing and editing it, and it doesn't do the concept justice. I spent so much time on it that I was determined to post it before it was ready. Lo and beh...

Reply

Kevin Logue
09:27 Oct 09, 2023

I understand that feeling, sometimes when we put so much time into something and we stare at it too long all we can see is the problem. I honestly loved the concept, but if you feel the need to delete and rework I completely respect and appreciate that. I thought the wordiness of it was you trying something new to meet the prompt but as it is bothering you I thought I'd try to help out. hopefully this isnt overstepping the mark. I was trying to write out some of my word saving techniques in relation to your tale but it's easier to just show...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kevin Logue
12:00 Oct 09, 2023

Just got a reread of the whole thing, perhaps it's not a twist you need but rather a bookend. Open a question at the start and close it with the ending. For me the sword is the dangler here, it's perhaps unresolved in what power it holds yet it is worth a fortune in the future that Ernest is aware of, also he knowingly leaves the sword with them. Because he knows they will be trapped in the future. So here's what I'm thinking, when the mead and pork is served have Fid considering how he's going to pay for it, the life of a grave digger is ...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
04:03 Oct 11, 2023

Thanks for all the feedback Kevin. I want to put both versions side by side to see what you've changed, (it's too complicated for me to do right now), the only thing I noticed were well-placed words you added that improved the story. But I didn't give it a serious going over yet. Just a quick read-through that tells me its a good edit. I noticed and approve of the extra paragraph breaks you used, too. Thanks for the corrections, we could use the help. Seriously, I like what Michel says, 'this seems like the beginning of a longer story.' ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:34 Oct 09, 2023

I like it,i really do i just don't feel their is much imagery within it. Other than that i like it! Good job.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
04:19 Oct 11, 2023

When you say 'Imagery' Dakotah, do you mean 'fantasy imagery' or do you mean the story lacked clear or convincing imagery, throughout? Was it the tavern, or the graveyard? Did you not feel like you were in a dark establishment where the food was so fresh and hot it was still sizzling when it was practically thrown on your table, the air was thick with smoke and mist and the table cleaner made as much noise as she could? That didn't evoke clear or significant imagery? If not, please let me know. Don't be shy.

Reply

12:19 Oct 11, 2023

I thought the tavern description was wonderful,especially the food,however your forgetting about the touching of everything. I may have wrote it like this... (Please don't think I am trying to put you down or anything,I am still in high school and I am not exactly the best at grammar or writing.) "The tavern smelled of fresh,hot food.And warm air filled the atmosphere around me. It filled my nose rapidly,as if I had hit an invisible wall when I cracked open the tavern door. Inside had been decorated with beautifully engraved flowers and pic...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:10 Oct 20, 2023

Ken, I have been off reedsy for awhile and was pulled back on by your recent comments on one of my stories. Stopped by to check this one out. I have to say, I love the concept here a lot. I'm currently working on a fantasy novel (just for fun), and am a big fan of blurring the lines, like you do here, between fantasy and sci fi. I see in your comments some unhappiness with this story which is probably more a result of the word count issue for something like this where you are developing a rich characters and a really complex concept. Time wa...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
04:25 Oct 31, 2023

Laurel, I almost neglected to thank you for this wonderful and encouraging feedback. So yeah, I would like to 'finish' this story. It's missing the final element, the point of those two graves at the end. My problem is that I usually write total crap, and then I have to use a lot of finely honed tools to whittle it down to a readable condition, starting with a jack-hammer, then working my way down to a shovel, then a chisel, a grinder, then the sanding machine, then a buffer... I usually run out of editing tools or time before the deadlin...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
10:11 Oct 31, 2023

I believe you have described the writing process to a T, at least for me. Down goes the gibberish. Prune, trim, and cultivate. Then step back and realize it probably needed to be pulled out of the ground entirely. I do a fair amount of critiquing of other writing on my own, not so much re-writing, but trying to figure out what is working and isn't working. It's a way of teaching myself how to write. The fantasy novel I'm working on is an experiment around the idea that the hero doesn't exist in isolation; we are all interconnected. I like ...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
15:53 Nov 02, 2023

Hey there Laurel, I read a bunch of your stories the night before last. A bunch, pah, four or five; and one I’d already read. Enjoyed it a second time. They’re impressive, each in their own way--grammatically flawless, like your comments. The writing is smooth, the dialogue realistic, but not overdone. Like your use of the word ‘Set’ for ‘sit’. That’s smart writing. With just that one word you defined 82 percent of your main character in ‘Boundaries.. With one word. ‘He was setting on his porch.’ That was a stroke of genius, Laural. I haven...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:31 Nov 02, 2023

Very much appreciate your willingness to consider reading a draft. I may have jumped the gun in that I am still wrangling the ending, but it appears to be 18 chapters at 65,000 words, to answer your first question. Your second is trickier. I do know that you might be a tad prickly as we had already had an exchange with my story "Of Harpers and Heroes." You don't really hold back, but if a writer cannot take criticism, they are in the wrong business. I don't think I would end up hating you; my only concern would be that I end up hating mysel...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rose Lind
09:13 Oct 14, 2023

The story was good. The checking for mold on the bread engaged me. I think there is a market out there for dystopia. The dragon in time warp reminds me of a story where government in area 51 curled back time allowing some sort of creature to penetrative our world and a military cofuffle as a result. I think the ending of tombstone date inconsistency could be played further.

Reply

Ken Cartisano
15:11 Oct 15, 2023

Thanks for the feedback, Rose. And I agree, I just couldn't think of an angle on the tombstone date. Ran out of time, and ideas, but not words.

Reply

Rose Lind
00:08 Oct 16, 2023

Maybe the last idea is something bigger

Reply

Ken Cartisano
18:14 Oct 18, 2023

Well yes. It should be big. It's the last line. I've allowed the story to rumble around in my head for two weeks now, and I simply can't come up with anything. I guess I should probably forget it and let my subconscious work on it for a while. See if it comes up with anything.

Reply

Rose Lind
00:09 Oct 19, 2023

Yes sounds like a plan. The dreams will tell you overtime.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rose Lind
04:11 Oct 20, 2023

I was thinking when I write without editing. These gems pop up in the scrawl. Maybe you are also one of those people who write under pressure and the gem popped up. Not wanting to overextend yourself, you left that as incomplete, maybe honouring your unconscious? I don't know. However what I do know is if that point of impact niggles at you then it means something. I would like to encourage you on that point of relaxing, letting go and giving permission to yourself to incubate that far away from your day-to-day life a place where the idea re...

Reply

Rose Lind
04:15 Oct 20, 2023

I usually enter prompts and will my meagre 5 dollars per week on a very small level support this site. It would be nice to win but I don't value that, instead, I see the practising, the new tools developing my writing. I have points I know which belong to my style which I have nurtured and during ppls comments I allow myself to think. What is it that I was really doing? And then I bring that to consciousness in the conversation, this is why there is value in any comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
AnneMarie Miles
05:00 Oct 10, 2023

Hey Ken! Well, this was quite fun. Good to know I'm not the only one dragging previous week's prompts into the current week. 🐉 I can't go near historical setting/context so when someone can get the dialogue down, I'm impressed. You had great back and forths between the characters which provided important contextual concepts about the setting and added some light humor to this beasty tale. I enjoyed the fresh take on the dragons - different types, different powers. A time-controlling dragon with two heads is pretty wicked, and certainly a un...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
20:22 Oct 31, 2023

Hi Anne Marie, I feel like I replied to your comment already but it landed somewhere else. Not sure, don't care. I thank you for reading my butt-end dragon story and I appreciate your clever feedback. I enjoy your comments on the thread wherever I find them, as you're kind, but insightful, a nice combination. After a brief scan of my (I don't know what to call it) my shit? I see that I've only read one of your stories so far, and liked it enough to hang a follow tag on your name, but I haven't gone back to check out your other stories ye...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:00 Nov 01, 2023

Thanks, Ken! Your kind to return the comment. I understand comments/replies get lost. It's not a big deal if one goes missing. But I agree! Sometimes you work hard on a story and can't quite get it right before the deadline. I find combining a previous prompt with a new one a lot more enjoyable anyways. Hope you're having luck with this weeks prompts! I've got crickets, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:53 Oct 10, 2023

An amusing story, with a pretty wild premise. The scenario is quite serious, but the dialogue adds a comical twist. Considering the time travel, the bizarre scenario, and the Britishness, I was actually reminded of Doctor Who. A mysterious stranger swoops in, solves a case the locals don't quite understand, etc. "No one ever considers what comes out of that end of the dragon." Heh, actually, I'm reminded of a recent story on Reedsy that might be relevant, https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/xiu2ag/ I see from another comment you're not too...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
02:49 Oct 11, 2023

Hey, thanks for reading it and commenting and the link as well, Michal. I may come back and add to this if the linked story demands it. As for the tobacco, that's a good catch. I think tobacco came from the American Indians and would not have 'filtered back to England until a few centuries later. (I'll look into that.) (I looked into it.) Wikipedia says the Spanish introduced it to Europe in 1535 or so. 50 years earlier than the opening date of my story. Good catch. I read that other story about dragons and dragon scat and such, it was ex...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.