23 comments

Drama Happy Romance

Glazed and Glorious Pt. 2

“Jasper! Come help me bring in the boxes of flour!"

“I’m coming!” It’s another day working in the bakery. It’s been two weeks since the festival fiasco. In any general circumstance, I would say that business has been horrible, because of our public disaster. However, it’s been the complete opposite. Gloriously Glazed shut its door for good, last Tuesday, and ever since then, Baxter Henderson has disappeared; much to everyone’s delight. The other Hendersons, Connor, (yes, the same Connor I dated, slapped, and checked out, even when we weren’t together) and his mum, Alessia, are working for us, at Glazed and Glorious. Is it interesting to have them around? Yes. Do I have to remind myself to breathe when I see Connor, shirt sleeves rolled up, exposing his forearms, slapping dough like he’s built for it? Quite frankly, yes. Who knew someone could slap dough like that? You don’t even need to slap-

“JASPER!” My mum calls again, and I shake my head, too immersed in my thoughts.

“Jasper, if you don’t get in the front in two-”

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” 

“Connor’s lonely without you!” She shouts and I feel my cheeks grow warm, even though I’m the only one in the storeroom. I race to the front of the bakery, and my mum and Connor have already beaten me to the delivery man. I pick up the crates and slowly stack them up in the storeroom. Of course, I have to take the crates to the storeroom, which is MUCH further away than the kitchen. Lucky Connor. When I come back out to the counter, Connor is standing behind the register, an unreadable grin on his face. How suspicious.

“Hi, Jasper,” Connor smiles, and I avoid his gaze, both he and my mother are being awfully… strange. 

“Hey,” I reply, trying to look anywhere that’s not his eyes or forearms.

“Oh! I hear the timer, I’ll leave you to it,” My mother rushes off, probably gushing about us to Alessia, they’re such fangirls. 

“So… how are you?”

“I’m, uh, good, thanks,” The awkwardness is palpable. The bell at the door suddenly rings and I look up to see a tall, tanned boy, with deep chestnut hair and an undercut. 

“Hey there, this is Glazed and Glorious, yeah? I’m Aidan-Elliot, a new employee…” I nearly scream, my mother keeps employing cute boys, and my hormones are not okay with it. 

“Hi, I’m Jasper!” I greet cheerfully, walking around the counter and over to him. I can feel Connor’s glare at the back of my head. “You’ve come to the right place,” He grins, 

“Thank goodness. Imagine if I went home and my mum asks me how it was, and I tell her I got lost, and never found it,” I chuckle, and Connor eyes the newbie.

“It appears all’s well. When I go home I’ll tell her I met a cute girl,” He winks and I pretend not to notice Connor gritting his teeth. So, this guy’s a flirt… interesting.

“I’ll show you around,”

“Hello,” Connor suddenly speaks up, standing right next to us, how did he get over here so quietly?

“Uh, hi!” Aidan-Elliot says, clearly as shocked as me.

“Connor,” He holds his hand out, and Aidan-Elliot grips it firmly, shaking it. Connor doesn’t flinch. The tension between them is too great for me, so I grab Aidan-Elliot’s wrist and drag him along with me.

“Stay at the counter, Connor,” I quip and he scowls right before he goes out of view.

“Mum! The newbie’s here!” I shout, and my mum pops her head out.

“Oh, hello there!” She dusts her hands, wiping them on her apron and drags my dad out as well.

“Aubrey Thompson, owner of Glazed and Glorious. This is my husband, Griffin. I’m glad you could make it, Aidan-Elliot, is it?” He nods, and my dad glances at my hand that is still firmly clasped around Aidan-Elliot’s wrist. I quickly let go of it and clear my throat.

“I introduced him to Connor, and I was thinking I’d show him around the place,” My parents nod in approval, and I hear the oven go off, my dad glances back into the kitchen.

“I’ve got it!” Alessia calls out.

“Okay, quickly show him around, Jas. That’s all you have to do today, Aidan-Elliot, familiarise yourself with the bakery,” My mum orders, before rushing back into the kitchen.

“Yes, ma’am. Thank you,” He says politely, and that’s our cue to leave.

I show Aidan-Elliot around the whole bakery, where his entries and exits are when he has to do the deliveries and where to organise his belongings in the locker area. After a good twenty minutes, we’re done.

“So… question, are you related to the dude at the front?” I burst into laughter,

“Connor?! Oh God, never!” I continue to laugh, even though I don’t know why being related to Connor would be so hysterical. Aidan-Elliot blinks, oblivious to why I’m laughing so hard.

“So… what relation is he to you?” My brain short circuits. What is my relation to Connor? Confused exes, that still love each other but aren’t dating? Or friends, to enemies, to friends again, all while being in love with each other? I wince, 

“Uh, it’s complicated,” Aidan-Elliot nods like he knows everything.

“Ah yes, ‘it’s complicated, it’s always that, isn’t it?” I sigh,

“Unfortunately,” He looks at his watch, 

“Well, if you’re ever single, hit me up,” He adds, this guy is brave.

“Hmm, we’ll see,” I joke, and he looks at his watch.

“Okay, I better head off, thanks for showing me around,”

“My pleasure.”

~

“Jasper, you can’t hook up with every single teen male that works for us,” My mum warns me, and I roll my eyes.

“And why would I do such a thing?”

“I don’t know, you might,” My mum is sitting at the end of my bed, meanwhile the Hendersons are sleeping in the two guest bedrooms.

“Are you implying I’m going to start dating Aidan-Elliot?”

“I would rather you didn’t,”

“Right… I’m guessing you have a whole plan to marry me off to someone else?”

“Perhaps,” She replies vaguely and I groan.

“Who?”

“Now, now, that would be cheating,”

“It’s Connor, isn’t it,”

“I don’t know, is it?” I gently shove her off my bed,

“If you don’t tell me any useful information, I’m afraid you’re going to have to leave,” My mum laughs and stands up. 

“You don’t have to date Connor if you don’t want to,” She pauses, “But if you did, that would be nice,”

“Okay, okay, out!” I cry, and she laughs again, before kissing my forehead and leaving my room. Suddenly, there’s a knock on the door, and I sigh.

“Mum, I get it,” The door opens, and Connor sticks his head out.

“Oh! Hey, sorry, I thought you were my… Wait- did you hear something before? If you did, I’m so sorry. My mum was going-” I said in a rush, flustered, surprised Connor was here, of all places, in my room.

“Hm? I didn’t hear anything, don’t worry,” He brushes it aside, “Though… I think I heard something? I’m not sure,” I blink, could he be any vaguer?

“Oh, okay… Did you need something?” I ask, and Connor runs a hand through his hair, leaving spikes in it.

“Sorry, I’m just really… out of it. Is it okay if I sit here for a bit?”

“Uh, no, that’s fine! As long as our parents don’t find out,” He nods, his eyes closed. He suddenly changes position, lying on his stomach, facing me. Subconsciously, I play with his hair, and he sighs.

“Wanna talk about it?”

“You know, I still love you, Jasper,” He murmurs sleepily, without thinking.

“Yeah?”

“Mhm,” He hums, and I smirk.

“You wanna stay here for the night?”

“Yeah,” He breathes, and he looks up and our noses touch.

“Do you still love me, Jasper?” I look into Connor’s cognac coloured eyes, 

“Yes, yes I do,” I whisper, unable to look away. He gives me a small smile, and he lifts his head a little more and kisses me.

“And you still won’t date me?” He jokes lightly, and I stop.

“I… Connor, darling, look, you have to understand- I don’t know if I can do this,” His head slumps back down, and just like that the moment is ruined.

“Hey,” I bring his head back up gently, “I love you, Connor Henderson, and I would never change that for the world, I just don’t know if I can be in a relationship right now,”

“Yeah, I get it,” He mutters, the disappointment written all over his face. “I just… I can’t be without you, Jasper. It sounds so… desperate and selfish, but I really can’t,”

“I know, darling, I know. And I’m sorry, I’m sorry I can’t give you what you want,”

“Please, don’t apologise, Jas,” He turns around to face me, and I kiss him again, the desire is too much. He deepens the kiss, and I don’t want to ever let him go again.

“Jasper,” Connor breathes, “Please, think about it,”

“I think about it every second, Connor. Every thought I have is about you, every star I wish on, is about you, and I don’t… I can’t imagine a life without you,”

“So don’t.” I pull him up onto my bed and we sit across each other, cross-legged. He presses his lips on mine once more, and it takes everything in my power to remind myself that this is Connor. Connor, the boy I’ve been in love with for years, who I used to date, who is still in love with me. The boy that will always have a piece of my heart, no matter how far away he goes.

“Connor,” I break away.

“Jasper,” 

“Ask me again,”

“Ask you what?”

“You know,”

“I do?” I nod, smiling at his silly antics.

“Will you stay, Jasper? Will you be my partner and crime? Will you be my girlfriend, again?” I laugh, and crawl over to him, my head resting on his legs.

“Yes, I will, again. Because you’ve always been my everything, Connor,”

“Aw, thanks,” He smiles, looking down at me, before bending down to kiss me. So, I’m not the only one who’s giving into temptations. I look up at him once more, and then back down when I catch his goofy grin, and let my hair fall over my face, before snuggling into Connor’s arms.

The next morning when I wake up, I yawn, stretching my arms out.

“Ouch,” Connor says, as I accidentally whack his cheek with my hand.

“Sorry, wait- Connor! You stayed!” I shout gleefully, and he smiles putting a finger to his lips.

“Shh, our parents don’t know we’re together,” Cons of having bakers as parents, they’re up at the crack of dawn. I notice Connor’s no longer wearing his t-shirt, which is folded up neatly, at the end of the bed. I stare at his abs, before clearing my throat and looking away. A wonderful sight to see, first thing in the morning. Seriously.

“Checking me out again, are you?”

“Nope,” I shake my head, “Absolutely not,” I reply, my voice cracking.

“Sure, sure,” He chuckles, not believing me.

“I’m not fully awake, okay? Cut me some slack,” A twinkle forms in Connor’s eyes,

“Not awake, huh?” He kisses me before I can say anything, and his lips are soft and warm, and it feels like home.

“Okay,” I pant, breathing heavily. “I’m awake now,” 

“Good, let’s go to the park, I want to sneak out,” I give Connor an incredulous look,

“Right now? It’s…” I check my alarm clock, “6 am!”

“Sure, why not? We can just go to the park, we’ll leave a note,” I sit up, hugging Connor, before skipping into my ensuite.

“I’m going to get ready and change into something decent. Meet you back in here in fifteen minutes?”

“It’s a date.”

Connor’s hand is in mine, as we walk, without a destination. Everything is quiet, the city is still asleep. It's quiet mornings like these that make me appreciate the little things.

“Connor, can we just walk wherever our legs take us?” He chuckles, nodding.

“It’s about time I had a little adventure with you,” He holds his hand out, and I take it.

“Jasper!” A voice suddenly calls out, and we both turn around to see Aidan-Elliot.

“Oh, hey!” I greet, and Connor’s grasp on my hand tightens, making me wince.

“I saw you two walking, and I thought I would come over and say hi!”

“What are you doing up so early in the morning?” Connor asks coolly, and if Aidan-Elliot senses the tension, he doesn’t mention it.

“Oh, I’m just out on a morning walk,” He replies casually.

“Is that so? Well, see you later,”

“What if I joined you guys?” This dude is starting to get obnoxiously intrusive. “Or… am I interrupting something?” He glances at our clasped hands and frowns.

“Yeah, you are, actually. Goodbye.” Connor drags me away in the opposite direction.

“Connor,” I tut disapprovingly, “That was a bit rude,” I say when Aidan-Elliot’s out of view.

“He was the one being rude,” He mumbles and I squeeze his hand, to which he squeezes back gently. We find ourselves at the cliff, at the edge of the city, from all those months ago. 

“Our legs decided to go here, of all places,” I comment,

“I guess it just felt natural.” We don’t say anything for a bit. I stare at the view, the air crisp and clean up here. Connor hugs me from behind and he kisses my temple. He then kisses my nose, then presses his lips onto mine. We stay like that for a few minutes, until a distant car horn startles us, and our heads bang into each other. We both grin, despite the momentary pain.

“Shall we go home?”

“Yeah, let’s.”

We reach the bakery, I open the door for Connor, and we hear the bell tinkle to show our arrival. Both our mothers look up, noticing our hand-holding. My mum breaks first, jumping up and down, shaking Alessia’s shoulders.

“I told you! I told you! They’re together again!” The two of them are laughing and I roll my eyes, fangirls.

“Oh my God, our babies!” Alessia squeals8 and I swear they’re teenage girls again.

“We should leave them to it. Wanna go upstairs?” I nod, and we race up the stairs, Connor beating me up. When I reach the landing, I run into his arms, and he spins me around in his arms. I wink, quickly kissing his ear before running down the corridor.

“Hey, come back here, you!” I race to Connor’s room and shut myself in the wardrobe. I can’t help but laugh, which will expose my hiding spot, not that I mind being found. Connor suddenly opens the door, and he wraps his arm behind me and carries me out of the closet.

“Gotcha,” I wriggle around, before he places me onto the floor, and standing on my tiptoes, I kiss him. 

“I love you, Jas,” He whispers,

“Love you too, Cons,” I grab his hand and pull him across the corridor into my room. We flop onto my bed, laughing, for what feels like hours.

“So why’d you change your mind about me, Jas? Or has your heart always belonged to me?” Connor suddenly asks.

“I-” I begin, “I loved you, and it felt like I’d been so empty for so long, without you... But when you kissed me…” I look away, unsure if I should continue.

“... When I kissed you?” He prompts, lifting his hand to my cheek, and turning my head to face him.

“When you kissed me it felt like a haven, a happy place, but most importantly it felt like home. That’s what changed my mind, the realisation that you are my heart, and that it’s always laid in you,”

“Dang, Jasper.”

“I’m not done,” I say, pressing a finger to his lips. “You’re always going to have a piece of my heart, Connor. You claimed that when you kissed me for the first time. I didn’t have anyone else when you distanced yourself, and I thought… I thought you had left me forever, and I hated that I missed you,” Connor tries to protest that it’s his fault but I shush him. 

“I love you Connor Henderson.” I say, biting my lip to stop the tears from flowing.

“I- I love you too Jasper Bailey Thompson. I am so dang lucky to have you in my life, you are my everything and I would never do anything to change that.” Connor tells me, bringing his lips to mine, and I can hear his ragged breathing as we connect once more. It’s like I’ve been deprived of Connor, and I pull him even closer, feeling the desperation and the want to be comforted by him. Fire burns in my heart as he sets it aflame, again and again. When I run out of breath, I lay my head on his chest and whisper, “I love you Connor Henderson,” And nothing has ever felt more right.

February 18, 2021 06:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

00:30 Mar 10, 2021

AHHHHHH CASPERRR! even though i wrote this with you and helped edit it warms my heart Every. Single. Time. hehe welp not me catching up reading ur stories again ahah :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:35 Mar 10, 2021

Casper will always be our OTP :3

Reply

03:48 Mar 10, 2021

Always and forever <3

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:52 Mar 10, 2021

<3 <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:37 Feb 19, 2021

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek i'm sorry, i'm late, HAPPY BELATED B-DAY!!!!! this is a great romance story and thats saying something, since i hate romance p.s. ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently its a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on. I got it from luna who got it from sapphire who got it from kate who got it from jade who got it from emerald sorry this is really random XD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:00 Feb 19, 2021

Ahahahaha thanks Amethyst! Also... I'll pass it on? Someone else commented that already XD

Reply

22:11 Feb 19, 2021

:D ok yeah i spammed it on like a thousand stories so that's probably why XD or one of the other people that passed it on lol XD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:11 Feb 19, 2021

Ahahaha XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:41 Feb 18, 2021

This is so cute and romantic! I really loved reading this...Danny's right, these prompts are perfect for you. I read the first part, loved it, and this second part is just perfect! The title is also amazing, and when I saw you had posted the second part I was eager to read it. Great job!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:38 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it, bc I loved writing it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
06:34 Feb 18, 2021

Hai friends, 3rd story for the week! (IK I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME BUT I PROMISE I WILL GET THERE) This is a sequel to my collab with Zoé Nöel-lemieux; Glazed and Glorious. Please make sure you read the first story so it makes sense! Enjoy the wholesomeness, that's what we aimed for! :D Here's Zoé's POV: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/81/submissions/55468/

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:23 Feb 18, 2021

this is so cuuuuuuuute aghhhhhhhh

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:37 Feb 18, 2021

I knowwwwwww; we made it super wholesome after the first story :D

Reply

20:40 Feb 18, 2021

well, I loved the wholesomeness (although I usually find that a lot of stories can have too much of it. This one didn't, though)!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:47 Feb 18, 2021

**coughs** Aidan-Elliot was not wholesome **coughs**

Reply

21:00 Feb 18, 2021

true XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
13:05 Feb 18, 2021

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I'm dyingggggggggggggggggggggg hehehehhehehehhe I lovvvvve reading romance so much, the prompts are perfect for youuuu :)) I dont think ive read the first part, but this! im dyingggg, I LOVE IT! Great job, Jasey! :)))))) hehhehehehehhehehe, its sooooooo sweet, lol :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:37 Feb 18, 2021

THANK YOU DANNY DSIBVNUIQEAOFSVBHNWIAODS;VHNW I had so much fun writing this story! Please check out the first one, from me and from Zoe! :)

Reply

Danny -
23:27 Feb 18, 2021

Of course :)) Yeah, I will soon :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:57 Feb 19, 2021

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Danny -
06:02 Feb 19, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:07 Feb 19, 2021

HOW R U SO QUICK REPLYING TO COMMENTS, U HAVE A SUPERPOWER DANNY!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.