0 comments

Adventure Fantasy LGBTQ+

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Thalia POV

My parents always talk of me being their 'light in the dark', our kingdom has been bathed in the dark for thousands of years but when I was born an elf it was the first step in the prophecy to bring light back. I always have to listen to everyone gush over me and baby me to the point that I've been labeled rebellious because I want some freedom. I was born with light brown hair but as I got older it turned a mint color, making everyone even more excited for light. Spending each night looking over the prophecy and finding more and more holes in it. Nothing says how it's broken, it could be a sacrifice for all we know but don't know. 

Years of journal entries, asking questions, and trying to figure out the prophecy are hidden within the walls of my room. Today I might die, we are having the yearly sacrifice to the gods, and I am nearing the age of marriage. My parents aren't the quietest fighters, hearing them yell at each other about what to do. If I pass the age of 18 I wouldn't be considered an heir anymore stopping the prophecy, and if I were married off it would be the same thing. Walking out of my room with my white silk dress dragging across the smooth stone floors. The kingdom could be heard talking. I knew this was the end. I never thought that I would have to taint a blade in my blood to help my people, I was lost in my thoughts when I was grabbed by someone in a cloak. A rag was placed over my mouth and nose, I knew what this intruder was trying to do. Swinging my elbow backward I strike them in the gut. I ran down the hall opposite the exit, if they knew the castle layout they would have followed me but looked and saw nothing, heard nothing, and smelled nothing. Running my hand through my hair I sit on the floor. 

'Who would want me? I can't do anything for them.' I thought when I heard footsteps heading my way, giving up I stayed on the ground. I saw the flash of light blue under a black cloak, looking up I noticed the bright-colored eyes that stared into mine.

"Golden," I say without thinking. My words caused the person to falter back a step. I continue to stare, forgetting why I was sitting on the floor to start with.

"I need to get you out of here. You aren't safe." The person lifts me bridal style off of the floor and drapes the rag from before over my face. I realize this time it isn't covered in chemicals, it's covered with Lavender oils, I have always loved using it to sleep. Moving further into the figure of my kidnapper I slowly fall into a slumber.

Elara POV

Carrying the princess in my arms I run along the outer walls of the palace, trying to stay unnoticed but the commotion from the center says otherwise.

'Shit! One job. That's all you had.'

Continuing until I hit the first line of trees I jump down quickly taking shelter in the high branches, waiting for a sign that the guards have passed. I feel the princess stir in her sleep, her long mint hair tangled from the movement during our escape. Gently I run my long fingers through her hair untangling it before putting it in a long fishtail braid. Seeing the fireflies and other glowing critters of the night start coming out I wake the princess.

'I don't even know her name. Why did they send me?' 

"Who are you?" She asks.

I look at her like an idiot before I respond, "I'm Elara Starweaver, a member of The Starweavers, we spend our lives protecting and helping prophecies come true," I stick my hand out holding two buttons. 

"Rose quartz and amethyst?" She questions.

"Rose Quartz is a stone that helps with love in general, and amethyst to help soothe the transition you are about to endure. We make them into buttons so they can be sewn onto your clothes or sash."

"Why are you giving me these? I don't deserve them." She says. I grab her hand placing the buttons in her palm closing her hand into a fist as I let go.

"Crystals are for anyone, especially elven princesses," I tell her, "What is your name?"

"If you are supposed to be a prophecy protector or whatever shouldn't you know my name?!" She shouts at me. I cover my ears quickly, trying to sound her out at least slightly.

"We aren't given names when we get sent out. Only the higher-ups get to know their names until we meet. It's a part of the protection," I explain quickly.

"Sorry, I'm Pri-," Pausing for a minute, "I'm Thalia." The night passed quickly. Checking the surroundings for anything dangerous, I conclude that we should get going.

Thalia POV

I think about the previous day and night. I can't seem to drop the image of her hands touching mine. Her pure-blood elven features will forever haunt my mind. It's rare to find someone who is pure-blood, thousands of years ago elves and humans lived in harmony. No one knows how it happened but shortly after war broke out creating a barrier between them. Pure-Blood Elves have longer limbs, I mean Elara stands like a foot taller than me, all of them have colorful hair, and the elders even keep their color (I got that info from Elara). We have been walking for a long time, I notice my foot is bleeding but I'm too embarrassed to say anything since she is walking barefoot.

"You know it's not a shame to say that you need a break. You've lived in a palace, not the wilderness like me." Stopping she wraps her arm around me and pulls up into the trees. "You know if you were going to hide that you're bleeding you don't know everything about what you are." She tells me giving me a look that doesn't look like she's happy. Pulling bandages from her side pocket she wraps my foot. I feel my eyes draw heavy, and I yawn. Looking back at her she is giving me a shit-eating grin.

"What?"

"You're tired, you should sleep. It's a long travel, I'll carry you so you can sleep if you'd like," Elara says teasing me. I let her hold me again and I could feel my body relax the second she touched me. I wake up days later in a bed somewhere I don't know. Sitting up quickly I look around trying to find something familiar, I notice my white silk dress hanging with a note. I go to stand up but halt, lifting the blanket and checking if I'm dressed. I see that I have a long shirt on that reaches my mid-thigh. Getting up I walk to the window where my dress is. I look at the note.

'When you wake up you can either walk down the path wearing the shirt you have on or you can wear your dress. I wanted to wash your dress for you when you'd wake up.' 

I decide to just walk down the path looking for Elana, I hear her voice with her thick accent. 

"What do you mean she's not the one in the prophecy? What other kingdom has an elven heir? I traveled for a long time bringing her here." I hear her yelling.

'I'm not the prophecy holder?'

"Elara Starweaver. You don't even have the start of horns. She is NOT the prophecy holder." I hear a different voice say, the sound of footsteps echoes until they are silent. I walk closer and see Elara standing in the middle of an empty room. I can't see her face. My feet make soft patters as I approach her, I walk around so I can see her face. 

"I'm sorry," she says with such emotion. I place a hand on her cheek, she pushes further into my hands. Her hands eventually reach up and cup my face. She leans down and is level with me, her eyes are pricked with tears and her eyes seem to glitter. My flutter close as our lips connect, something felt like it sparked. I open my eyes to see Elara's eye looking around. They seem to glitter in the soft light coming in from the door.

‘Wait light?’

Turning around I see that light is shining outside. When I turn around I see that Elara has long swirly white horns that are accented with a pale blue. I feel her hand run through my hair. She lifts me up spinning, and she slows to a stop and connects our lips again. 

Years later I return to my kingdom with Elara in hand. We have been married for two years now, elven laws wait until 20 years for marriage. It took a while for me to get used to Elven customs but once I got the hang of them I had grown horns as well mine were small but I was told it was due to me being a halfling. I'd love to see Elara’s eyes sparkle at the horizon as the sun dipped below the mountains before I die.

January 12, 2024 17:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.