5 comments

General

Running as fast as my feet can carry me. The air is brimming with a green fragrance reflecting my surroundings. Tall fescue grass tickling my ankles with each stride. Sticks threatening to trip me. At eye level all that can be seen is the dense pines, bark, and moss passing by. Above me the canopy is a maze of branches and leaves with an intense pine smell. Behind the canopy is a menacing grey sky, cold and somber.

 I hear steps pounding close behind me. Are they catching up? I can’t risk questioning whether they’re closing in or if I’m imagining it. I throw myself forward as fast as I can force myself to go right through the clump of hydrangeas. I realize the mistake once the aroma of water fills my nose. I’m suspended in the air or at least that’s what it feels like when I begin plummeting through the air. A stray branch or two hits my face as I fall. I look down with barely enough time to make sense of what I see. Only a blur of blue below me. I drop straight into the icy river. Chills are sent through my body and I’m soaked to the bone. The willful current pushing me downstream. Confusion fills my head just like the water I involuntarily inhale fills my throat. I look around and see the gleam to what I think is my left. I feel a surge of energy go through me as if saying no this can’t happen and pull myself towards it. I gasp desperate for oxygen, needing to inhale it once more. I take in as many breaths as I can every other interrupted with a cough of water. I take in a final deep breath and then let my breathing regulate. 

 I take in the situation the best I can now. I’m still being thrust forward by the powerful stream of water. I hear a deafening sound. The water in front of me is getting faster just before it cascades down, a waterfall. How can I possibly get out of this? It's practically impossible. All the plausible ways aren’t an option for me. I don’t have any belongings. I dropped everything when I was fleeing. What was I fleeing? It had thick umber fur. It seemed to be about 7 feet tall towering over me and very quick. It was catching up at a rapid pace. I had a gracious head start and within a few feet it was right behind me. It made a noise like a- “ROAR!” Yeah, just like that. I turn and see the massive grizzly on the river bank. Despite my expectation it walks into the water and takes gentle strides towards me. Right at that moment when I expect to become its afternoon snack it bumps me with its head. Like when a cat rubs its head on you for you to pet it. I carefully pet it. It tries to scoot me towards it. I think it wants to help me. That or eat me but, with my probable death quickly approaching I wrap my arms around its neck hoping I made the right choice. It turns and pads back to the river margin. 

 I lay on the ground, my eyes tightly closed. I’m exhausted from the whole experience and have no idea how to avoid being eaten so I do nothing. I lay on the ground as lifeless as possible. It’s not too hard to fake because it's exactly how I feel. I lie motionless for a few minutes. Something icy soaks my nose, rain. With my senses returning to normal I realize there is heavy thunder in the background. Thick icy raindrops crashing down. I feel like I’m about to have a meltdown. I can’t move so I slowly move my finger back and forth to feel the soft, but somewhat gritty dirt in an attempt to avoid crying. How did it come to this? I’m an average girl. I’m 22. My name is Dixie Dalman. I have straight black hair cut off just below my shoulders and honey brown eyes. I’m wearing plain black cotton sweatpants and a form-fitting white t-shirt. Just normal brown laced up hiking boots. All I planned to do today was go on a hike. I guess there was a lot more in store than I had anticipated.

 My vision comes to when I take a small peak with only one eye. The bear is sitting beside me almost like a dog staring at me in wait. It prods at my stomach a bit to try and get a stir out of me. I finally give in and open my eyes. I cautiously sit up. I look at the furry creature. Its fur matted and wet. It's kind of cute like a giant puppy. A giant puppy that can eat me I have to remind myself. How old is it? It seems like an adult judging by the size, but it acts like a cub. Considering all that has happened I should name it. It’s a free creature of course but, I can’t just keep calling it bear or grizzly. Well, it’s brown, huge, and adorable. I’ve never been too great at thinking on the spot. I mean it isn’t like it’s on the spot, but still. Teddy. Like a teddy bear. Teddy is as good for cuddling as a teddy bear so it works. I think Teddy is a girl, though this is based on nothing other than an assumption. I put my arms over my head and try to keep the rain from running down my face and blurring my vision. She looks at me and I look at it for a moment or two until it gets up. She strolls towards me and lays down beside me and places her head on me. I think she’s trying to keep me dry though her head is not lacking in weight.

The sun begins to set and the rain clears. The fact that it’ll be dark soon is worrisome. I try to get up without disturbing Teddy. I can’t tell if I’m lucky or not today. I’m unsuccessful in my quiet leave. She looks at me and tilts her head to the side. I walk towards the direction I came from hoping she doesn’t attack. I hear paw steps following behind me. I walk some distance before I turn to see her still following behind me. I head in what I think is the right direction. I walk for what feels like forever Teddy always close behind me. Once the sun is just about to set I see the trail entrance. I did it! It's all over and I'm back and I can go home! Then the realization hits me and I think about Teddy. I’ll have to leave her. I can’t say goodbye. I've only known her a little while, but I can’t say goodbye to any pet very well. Teddy isn’t a pet, but we are close. We bonded, she saved my life. She looks at me disappointed like she knows what is about to happen and she doesn’t want me to leave. An idea hits me, what if I don’t leave her here?



May 15, 2020 06:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ted Villamarzo
07:30 May 24, 2020

Powerful description of the scene. I could feel the fear. And the way it turned out was a surprise. I enjoyed it.

Reply

Aspen Adelaide
12:25 May 26, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:45 May 21, 2020

Hey Aspen, I enjoyed reading your story, as well as the inner dialogue of the character. The line “It's kind of cute like a giant puppy. A giant puppy that can eat me I have to remind myself. ” was especially enjoyable as it paints the bear in an adorable way, though they are quite dangerous. Overall, pleasant read! Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Aspen Adelaide
08:19 May 23, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sadia Faisal
10:47 May 27, 2020

great story, please like my story if you like it and send me feedback and follow me if you would like to

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.