34 comments

General

Tiny pinpricks of light scalded my eyes making them water. Grass prickled the back of my neck and forced its way through my hair. 

It was almost as if my lungs had stopped working for a few moments. Thousands of galaxies— universes hidden just before my eyes. Apprehension mixed with joy in my stomach, creating a potent feeling of adrenaline. The minuscule orbs of light grew larger and larger until they filled my vision. My eyes swam with tears and long forgotten memories. 

My legs itched as I sat up in the grass, blood rushed to my head, making my eyes throb. Crescent moons had carved themselves into my palms, tiny reflections of the tips of my fingernails. The bitter cold of the night seeped through my old jacket, without the insulation from the grass keeping it at bay. My hair fluttered in my eyes as I mentally corrected myself. Your jacket, not mine. Worn threads rested against my fingertips, tempting me to pull them, I had just about convinced myself that you would never notice one more hole, when footsteps crunched through the dead grass behind me. The off-white rubber from your old shoes appeared in my peripheral vision. The tension in my body released its grip for just long enough to breathe. 

You groaned as you flopped into the grass next to me. Your face was already tilted to the stars when you spoke. Each word was infused with laughter, but quiet. So quiet, because some irrational part of you always wondered that if on a night like that, you could scare the stars away. 

“I always thought it was a little ridiculous that you water a single square of your lawn.” I could picture your face so clearly that there was no point in turning to look at you. As these words left your mouth, I could see you smiling, staring at the profile of my face, taking in the stars. 

“A little ridiculous, but mostly smart.” You said, still watching, waiting for my response. I sighed a little but didn’t say anything. We sat in our little corner of the universe without saying anything. Surrounded by dead weeds, in a tiny oasis of heathy grass.

“Can you imagine what could be out there?” My own voice surprised me a little when I spoke. “Can you imagine?”

“I don’t need to imagine,” you said, “I know. I know that even though we can’t see it, there is so much more… there are thousands of possibilities. There could be millions of universes just like ours.” I turned to look at you surprised. You looked back. Determined. Maybe a little bit scared. Your eyes open wide, filled with wonder. Lips gently parted into a soft smile. I could see you mentally preparing for an argument. 

“I want to believe that there really is something else. That there is a purpose or a reason. I want to know what else could be out there, whether is it aliens or something else entirely. But there is always some part of my mind that says no. It tells me that I have no proof. And no matter how hard I try, I can’t stop it.” My eyes went wide and I hoped that you could explain it. That feeling of knowing that I needed. “How can you have so much faith?”

You smiled for a moment and laid down. I rolled back into the grass next to you. The stars above us winked and smiled, and in the blue glow of the night I saw them in you, tears sparkled in your eyes as you sat up, fingertips stretching towards them, trying to get closer. A smile pulled back my lips as I tore you back to Earth, back to me from whatever reality you started slipping off into. Landing in the soft grass, the smooth scent of dirt rolled over us. Carefully, you reached over and gripped my hand. The soft pads of your fingertips pressed into my skin. A blindingly white smile flashed against the dark sky. To this day I don’t know if it came from you, me, or if the stars were truly smiling. 

Then you were gone. Hurtling through the atmosphere. I never told you not to go, and you never saw what you left behind. That’s how it always works though, isn’t it? The people left behind are the ones who have to clean up the mess. Pick up the pieces. I watched you up there, through the fuzzy black and white television. I heard your words through the static, “That’s one small step for a man, but a giant leap for mankind.” I could see your smile through your voice. Pure, exquisite joy flooding every molecule of your being. 

You made it to the stars. I bet you reached out your hand to try and touch them, just like you did that night. Once all of the cameras were off you, and your footsteps were behind you. Or maybe you reached your hand out to Earth. To me. 

I know that you came back, but you were never the same. How could you have been? You had seen the unimaginable. How could you go back to normal after that? How could you go back to that small town in Ohio, where everyone knew everyone? To the stereotyped community where the high school football games were the biggest events. How could you come back to me? A nobody who never made it out of that town. I know that I wouldn’t be able to. 

              All I ask, is that if you go back up there, to the moon, to the stars. Please look for that part of your heart that held me in it. Try to find that small corner of the world that we lived in. Even if you can’t find it. If it’s gone, or lost, I am here. I still think of you.  

              The light begins to grow and dissolve as tears flood my eyes. My teeth cut into my lower lip, refusing to let them fall.

July 24, 2020 17:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

DL Capio
07:30 Jul 29, 2020

Your request's granted. Hehe Anyways, I like your story. They're full of creative imaginations. Though somehow it kinda made me think, where was the narrator in the end of the story. Was the person still on the same place looking at the stars or at home watching tele?

Reply

A. S.
12:33 Jul 29, 2020

They are still watching the stars, but it is a while after when they were watching in the beginning. I hope that makes sense!

Reply

DL Capio
12:47 Jul 29, 2020

Just wondering. Probably my head was stuck on the time where the narrator saw the person on tele. And didn't realise it has moved on. I have read it again. It was a great story. Kudos!

Reply

A. S.
15:16 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you. I’m glad that makes more sense!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
17:36 Jul 28, 2020

When I found out that 'you' was actually Neil Armstrong I laughed out loud, great twist! This story brought back memories of stargazing with my friends and family, so thank you for that. You created a real character with hopes and dreams without even revealing their name. Way to go 🙌

Reply

A. S.
17:40 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much! I’m so happy that you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Courtney Stuart
23:37 Jul 30, 2020

first of all, your narrator was fantastic! very compelling. you managed to breathe so much life into them. your dialogue was also very good! most of all though, i loved the imagery you created! Lines like the ones below were some of my favorite, and i think you nailed the whole 'showing, not telling' aspect of writing! 'Crescent moons had carved themselves into my palms, tiny reflections of the tips of my fingernails.' 'So quiet, because some irrational part of you always wondered that if on a night like that, you could scare the star...

Reply

A. S.
23:55 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you so much! This just made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Toby Carter
22:41 Jul 30, 2020

Fantastic, the narrator is so utterly convincing - brought to life by the well illustrated memories and the skillful application of sensory imagery. Well done

Reply

A. S.
22:58 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you! Your words mean the world to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shivani Manocha
18:36 Jul 29, 2020

This is so well-written. Amazing description and use of imagery. Great work:) I loved the following lines particularly: - Crescent moons had carved themselves into my palms, - A smile pulled back my lips as I tore you back to Earth, back to me from whatever reality you started slipping off into - Or maybe you reached your hand out to Earth. To me. - Please look for that part of your heart that held me in it. Just two things: - "So quiet, because some irrational part of you always wondered that if on a night like that,...

Reply

A. S.
18:41 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! That is really helpful! I didn’t even notice some of the mistakes you brought up, and I will be sure to change those!

Reply

Shivani Manocha
08:50 Jul 30, 2020

No problem:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Serine Achache
13:00 Jul 29, 2020

The image you painted with your words was so beautiful, so vivid it made me feel so may things at the same time. I wonder if I'm the only one who actually cried at this part: "A nobody who never made it out of that town. I know that I wouldn’t be able to. All I ask, is that if you go back up there, to the moon, to the stars. Please look for that part of your heart that held me in it". I loved your piece sooooooo much I can't put into words. Vey Well done and keep writing.

Reply

A. S.
15:18 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you so much! I’m really glad you were able to feel what I was intending! That moment is probably the one that was the hardest for me to write. I wanted to make sure that you could feel the main character’s grief, but also the resignation that she was feeling!

Reply

Serine Achache
16:05 Jul 29, 2020

Trust me, the feelings were delivered. I felt everything! It's a pleasure, really.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
10:23 Jul 29, 2020

Good job:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lata B
17:55 Jul 28, 2020

This story was just so amazing! You did a great job with the imagery and it was well written! Great job! :)

Reply

A. S.
18:12 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you! Would you want to read some of my other stories?

Reply

Lata B
18:24 Jul 28, 2020

Love too.....I'll do it in the next few hours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
11:20 Jul 28, 2020

Hey, you asked me to check out your story and give some feedback, so here I am :D Something that really captured my eye throughout this story was how well you're able to portray emotions and the atmosphere of a place. Your descriptions are really vivid which is something I always look for in a story, so well done. I especially like the part where he narrator said something about being 'in an oasis of the grass.' Good vocab use! I also quite liked your character development, especially that of a short story. You were able to give both ...

Reply

A. S.
19:26 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you for the advice! I changed the second “pricked” like you recommended and I will be looking through and adding more complex sentences.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
August Jett
00:04 Jul 28, 2020

This is a beautiful story, and your imagery is simply stunning! Wonderfully written. I wish your stories had more publicity because they deserve to be recognized! Keep writing! :)

Reply

A. S.
00:25 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much! That seriously made my day! If you have any advice for getting more people to read, I would love to hear it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
10:36 Jul 27, 2020

You explain everything in full detail using words that interest the reader; ‘Tiny pinpricks of light scalded my eyes...’ You describe a whole story, a characters behaviour, thoughts and storyline through looking at the stars. One setting with a whole story. Great job, glad to have read it! :D

Reply

A. S.
17:00 Jul 27, 2020

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Yoomi Ari
10:19 Jul 28, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:34 Jul 27, 2020

Excellently written. Great word formation, sentence structure, and detail. So much feeling and depth were captured in this piece. Awesome job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:58 Jul 26, 2020

Beautifully written.

Reply

A. S.
21:00 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zyönnah Isiguzo
20:39 Jul 26, 2020

Addison, this is too beautiful for words! I adore the way you constructed the story, like you truly knew Neil Armstrong ("you" is referring to him right?) The invoking words and phrases you used were simply phenomenal! I would have like for you to have merged some sentences into long compound and complex sentences to give a variation, but apart from that, this story is perfect!😁😁😁😁 I would advice you follow more people so they can be checking out your stories! The story deserves so much more!😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Reply

A. S.
20:50 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked it. You is referring to Neil Armstrong. Thank you so much for your feedback! This made my day.

Reply

Zyönnah Isiguzo
20:52 Jul 26, 2020

Anytime😊. Keep Writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:33 Jul 28, 2020

GREAT job! 👏👏👏👏 ~A (Oh, and would you mind checking out my story ‘The World Is Your Playground’? If so, thank you so much!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.