2 comments

Fiction Sad Science Fiction

"Subject Zero,state your name."

Names. I had none,at least not in the sense they were asking for. I had names,but none of them were what they had asked me for over the years. "I have gained many names over these many years of mine ,sir.They call me nino demon,boy of tears,the horror of the lab. They call me lamb within a lion,freak,fiend,weirdo,subject,and mistake. They call me the headless tiger,the bloody nightmare,hablano,freak of nature,murder,fallen angel,savior,killer. But I think you are most familiar with the term "Beast of Mexico",sir."

"I did not ask for your lies and fancy words,Subject Zero. I'm asking you to state your name,before things get bloody."

"How kind of you to think I have one. I am nameless in that sense,for I have forgotten. It has been washed away to my sea of past memories." What I didn't tell him was that I knew my name. I was afraid,however. I've grown used to this life,but men like him are the kind who think they have the upper hand,and therefore think it's their right to abuse their power. "I believe that was your fellow workers doing,sir. Do not fault me for their misgivings."

"Subject Zero,I'm warning you. I'm giving you three minutes before I shoot you where your sorry ass stands. And then you'll finally shut up and leave us good people and go to hell,where you belong."

"Ah,sorry sir. Perhaps you should do it now,to stop you from wasting your time. After all,I have told you my name. I am the beast. Is that not enough? And why must you use such strong words? They're quite hurtful." I held back my laughter. These people,people like him,people who can't quite get a joke,are all too fun to mess with. They;re amusing,how they frown and scowl and act as if I meant what I said. Call me a liar when I laugh and tell them I didn't mean it.

"..."

"I am not human any longer,and therefore my human name is lost to me. And as it seems,to your "flawless" system as well." What I wasn't going to say is that I knew what happens to the people that do remember,or the ones who lie too well. A sorry fate,with it ending in suffering and cries of pain. "And even if I knew,why should I say anything? I know there is no reward."

I took a deep breath. "To play the deck,sonny,you have to play the whole damn casino." "I have heard the sounds of the ones who say,and the ones that know. You kill them slowly,and painfully. There is no quick end to my suffering if I tell you. I might as well let you end me to a bullet in my head,quietly and quickly,to save myself from the suffering that awaits for me if I do say."

"So you remember,you hapless old halfwit?"

"When have I said that,sir? Perhaps your hearing isn't what it used to be. And do get it right and do me a favor and stick to your limited vocabulary,so that you don't sound as foolish. Nicely done with the old part,though."

I could hear him growl through the intercom. I smirked,knowing that the cards were playing in my favor. I knew that while he thought he had the upper hand,that his hand could always be beaten by a few well-placed words. He was right about the old part,however. I'm not what I used to be. I remember being a strapping young lad with stunning blonde hair,and a handsome man with blue eyes. But time has worn my features down,turning my blonde hair into a snowy white,and my eyes a paler,weaker blue. And my body was wasting away,my bones growing weaker every day.

Perhaps I wasn't as strong as I had once been,but what I lacked in lost strength I made up for in wit and smarts. "I wonder,why did you people give me all those names? I can't remember." I felt myself smirk again.

"Hush,old man. You remember perfectly well the day you earned yourself those names,and you take pride in the blood you spilled. Fool creature."

"Well,you did make this creature. You and your kin. I am simply a product of your big plan,your evil schemes." I laughed,and I knew my face held a wide grin. "I was made to kill people,not for anything else."

"You know this to be as false as the lies you tell us. You were made to protect the people,not to slaughter them. You even killed your own brother and daughter. Your own 'kin',as you call it. Or did you need another reminder?"

"I didn't need a reminder." I gritted my teeth,finally getting irritated. "Mind if I ask why you need to drag up old history to get the upper hand?"

"Because it seems that you think your flawless. This isn't 2020,when every person who backed the government was a bad guy. This is 2730,and we're far beyond those times. And you know this. But you just can't let go of whatever fantasy your living in where you're the good guy. You've killed hundreds and now you'll pay for your crimes. Now,I see what I need to do."

I heard a soft click and a pop,and knew that he had turned off the intercom. I then heard footsteps and the door creaking open. Strong arms pushing my thin frame out into the hot warm air,and I felt myself being shoved onto the scorching ground. I felt myself already being to sweat from the heat,and I heard the click of a gun barrel,and then felt the weight of it against my head. The bullet went straight through my head. And then nothing. I died,alone and my body left for the vultures.

But slowly I open my eyes and looked around,and saw myself in a tiny,sunlit garden unlike any other. It wasn't arid and blazing hot,and I saw so much green. I was amazed. How could someone have kept so many plants alive? Trees,flowers,ferns,mushrooms,bushes. I felt my excitement grow,like a small childs. When I calmed down,I took in my surroundings. It was small,with cobblestone walls blocking me from seeing anything else,and while there was sunlight coming from somewhere,whenever I looked up my eyes were met with black. Another thing I noticed was a cast-iron gate. I opened it,and stepped into sunlight.

June 21, 2021 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kathleen `Woods
14:59 Jun 21, 2021

The dialogue is doing a lot here as far as world-building, but I suppose it was a good setting to juxtapose against your last few passages. Thanks for writing!

Reply

Elaine Baker
15:13 Jun 21, 2021

Thank you so much! I really wanted to look at how much dialogue can shape a story,and so it's nice to know that it worked!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.