Hill Top Adventures Chapter 3

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy

The ladies stumbled in the dark of the night in the pouring rain trying to find the cave that would provide them warmth, Sonya leading the way.A flash of lightening lit up the sky illuminating the drops of rain that fell furiously upon them, a few steps more and the cave came into veiw, looming at them with trepidation. Brennan looked around and could not see anything, his eyes trying to adjust to the total darkness of the cave. Before he could speak, Sonya had piled a bunch of dried wood and dung that had been scattered around on the floor of the cave. Walking towards the wizard she gently grabbed his arm and led him to the fire spot. " Master, the wood awaits." Holding out his hand as she steadied him, he flexed his fingers and blue flame shot out of the end of his fingers and igniting the dry wood and illuminating the whole cave. Smooth flow stone along the edges of the cavern that led to a larger chamber that opened up large enough to house a cathedral. One by one they dragged the bags near the fire and pulled out what needed to be dried and curled up around the fire and fell asleep, while the old man lay awake, dreading what lay beneath the ground on which they slept. In the dreams that trap the dawn, Raena tossed about in a fitfull sleep only to be awakened by Lord Brennan. " What troubles you child?" In her newly awakened haze she hugged the old man." I am afraid of what will happen." The old man gently tilted her head up to look her in the eyes that glistened brightly in the fire light."You must not fear it or it will over take you. Only the strong can survive the demons we must face. Now get some sleep morning comes soon."

He said to her and patted he shoulder. Raena lay down and fidgited for a moment, then drifted back into a sound sleep, she began to dream of a time not far away. Nathaniel came slowly towards her reaching out to grab her arm and pull her towards him. Kissing her fiercely, he pulled the rest of her body close to his while kissing her with an unknown hunger.

 Cold water dripped in droplets that splashed on the stone floor as he pushed her against the wall . She had always been attracted to his eyes, a lovely warm brown . His slender hands caressing her body making her moan with pleasure. He picked her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist pressing her against the wall, all the while kissing her fiercely. Then suddenly, she awoke in a hot sweat and breathing hard. Looking out the mouth of the cave she saw Nathaniel and Gravon tending to the horses and growling about thier heads. Smiling to herself, she sat up and pulled on her brown leather boots and buckled them up her legs and stood up. Her movements awoke Sonya and the wizard and they too began to make themselves ready for the day ahead. " Raena, go make us some breakfast, I don't want Gravon near my bag again." He said with a slight chuckled as he rubbed his hurting head. After the morning meal had been eaten and everything put away they prepared for their journey into the labyrinth. Gravon, trudging back into the cave, dissapeared for some time and came back with a grinn on his face. " Where have you been?" Asked Nathaniel. " I found a way into the dungeons inside this cave." He said as he showed his friend a broken sword he found on a decayed body. Calling to Veldon who had passed out and missed everything the night before, after eating the mushroomed stew. He slowly moved from the spot where he lay, drenched from the water of the down pour. He sat up wringing out his beard." Argh! damn that Gravon.." then looked a bit funny at the fairy that flew past him.The effects of the mushrooms had definately not worn completely off. Standing up he tried to shake the water from his clothes to no avail, they were completely soaked through.

 Disgusted he stomped his foot , and looks around. Hearing the commotion not too far away, he followed the sounds to the cave, where he found Brennan and Gravon discussing the opening further back in the cave. " I was not aware of another entrance to the maze below but perhaps we should give it a chance. Gravon, set up our site here and stay out of my bag. Raena, go get some green bottles from my satchel and put them in your ruck sack. Shadow Wolf, Get my Staff and sword and Veldon, you and Nathaniel prepare for the melee we will encounter." He instructed as he walked towards his bed roll and retrieved the chain lightening book and called out to Raena, " Come here child, you have a lesson before we go below. " Turning quickly from her sack, she walked to where Brennan sat crossed legged on a nearby rock. " stand over there in the Mountain position and close your eyes for a moment and center yourself." He said to her as he fingered the pages of tome in his hands. Placing her feet shoulder width apart she positioned herself in Mountain pose and closed her eyes. Breathing deeply for a few moments she bagan to get impatient and opened her eyes." Chuckling deeply,he began to speak. " Now see the energy come from the universe into the top of your head into the brow chakra and visualize your body as a hollow bone. Now hold your hands out pointing your first and second fingers out. See the energy flow down your arms and out your finger tips into a web of electricity." She did as she was instructed and the powerful surge of universal energy flowed through her and sparks flew form her fingertips as she tried to control the power.

 " Now focus your sight on the dead tree over there and bring your hands back towards you and then push it out from the center of your soul out into the tree. As you do so you will say," Lavrom fie " " He said and she did as she was told , a bolt of chain lightening burst from her fingertips and fractured into an intricate web of electricity that slammed into the tree and into the woods beyond bouncing off of trees along the way and disturbing a cubby of quail. Squawking and chattering in their bird language they took to flight. Just then a sunbeam came throught he limbs of the trees and shone down upon the pendant around her neck. Brennan took in a sharp breath and exhaled slowly, as he watched the scarab begin to spin wildly. " Raena, ground your energy and come here." He said with authority. The young woman shook her hands a few moments and sat down on the ground and looked down at her necklace and saw what the wizard had seen. Picking it up and fingering it gently she looked at the glyphs intently. " Bring it to me child, let me see if I can decipher the markings."He said as Raena rose gracefully from the ground and pulled the medallion from her neck, pulling her log locks from behind her back and over her shoulder as she removed it and handed it to her master." Sonya, come here and look at this with me." he called to his student. Rising from her spot resting on a rock and placeing her feet upon the ground, shook her hair and it fell in tendrils of dark brown tresses down her back falling to top of her buttocks. " Yes Master," she said with obvious dedication to her teacher.

 Locking eyes with his she could hear his thoughts." It is a guide." she replied to him as she sauntered with a slow swing to her hip as she came towards the magus and took the pandant from him. Sniffing it and cocking her ear toward the piece she could hear clicking. Bringing it down in front of her she turned slowly as the scarb continued to spin, with in a few moments of her turning slowly the scarb stopped moving as she faced the entrance to the cave. Waving Raena to her she showed her and spoke clearly so the wizard could hear. " You found a compass that will lead us directly into the very pit of hell Raena." Sonya handed the jewel back to her and went to her master's side. " Master, how are your hands this morning?" He replied with a slight groan, " They ache Shadow Wolf, I need your healing energy so I can be of use below."

The young woman knelt at his feet and pulled the out her salve and began to rub his aged fingers. Looking into her eyes he spoke softly , " One of us will not survive the journey." Concern clouded her face as she continued to massage his hand and she repiled," Who will it be?" " I am not certain just yet." Was his only reply. The young woman looked back at him and spoke softly," Will you ever tell her that you instead of Lord Fury are her father?" The old man just looked at her in quiet silence that bespoke of the wisdom of his years.

The hair on the back of her neck raised a bit and she shook it off with a quick flick of her head that ran down her spine. She would have to be on her guard every step of the way. It was a heavy burden to bear and the Moon was waxing full. The last four days leading up to a full Moon she was anxious of the change that would come. Brennan sensed her disquiet and placed his other hand on her shoulder and squeezed it lightly. " It will be fine child, You will still be able to protect me." He said gently as she helped him to stand. Nathaniel looked at Raena and a shiver ran down his spine. He and Raena had always had a thing but had never really taken it anywhere. They had known each other since childhood and were really quite close. He looked at the way the beams of sunlight struck her hair and eyes as it filtered through the trees. Looking down at his sword as he sharpened the blade, honing it to a fine point. He looked up again and saw her place the medallion back around her neck and strap on her kriss scabbards around her hips and thighs. So immersed in the beauty of her, he nicked his finger drawing blood." Damn that woman! I wish she would just kiss me."

 He said as a drop of his blood fell to the ground. Without realizing it, he'd cast his own brand of magic when the blood hit the earth at his feet. Raena, lost in the thoughts of her dream, strapped on her bow and quiver sack and made sure that she had enough extra bow string should it break below. She checked the pouch that hung from her belt to see how much silver dust that she had left. It was important for any trouble that they might encounter and there was no other way out. Brennan drew forth and touched her shoulder, " Are you ready for this child?" He asked softly. With but a look in his eyes , she told him all he needed to know. " Shadow Wolf , you and Nathaniel take the lead , followed by Raena and myself. Gravon, secure the horses and feed them and then you will follow in the rear with Veldon." Nathaniel rose and strapped his scabbard around his waist and sheathed his weapon and walked towards the mouth of the cave and the others followed him. Gently and stealthily, Shadow Wolf took the lead and began to sniff the air. Raena pointed to the left and she quickly disappeared for a moment. A few moments later she bounded back into sight." It's clear for a good two hundred yards, where it turns to the right and goes down." Quietly they walk down the hall, weapons drawn in case of attack. A soft click made the werewolf stop in her tracks and hold up her hand to stop them. Motioning Nathaniel to take the left side as she pulled her dagger out of it's sheath. " It's a trap." She said as she looked on the floor in the dark of the cave. The dwarf quipped whimsically “ Of course it’s a trap and the young lad there HAD to find it. That’s it we are gonna die here. Near Gravon's foot, was a small lever inset in the floor that would release if one stepped on or near it. " Ready yourselves, they come soon." She said as a strong smell of decay enveloped them completely. Wrinkling her nose in disgust, Raena pulled free her blades and prepared for close combat. A thick, sickening, squelching sound came in to range and they soon came into veiw. Slimy gray and green zombies with rotting flesh came thier way. Pouncing quickly up the wall and flipping quickly backwards behind the first zombie, Shadow Wolf stabbed her dagger into the top of it's skull and it fell to the floor.Just behind her, one of the putrid creatures was closing in fast, quickly she side stepped as she heard Raena sheath her blades and quickly draw her bow. Moving quickly, the young woman sleeved the arrow and drew back the bow string and released.

The missile found it's target and landed right between the zombie's eyes and it slumped to the floor in a loud squishing thud. Veldon was dealing with a zombie with a bit of power, the dwarf ducked and dodged a bit finally striking the undead beast on the leg. The creature came forward and slammed into Veldon's forehead knocking him up against the wall. Brennan flicked his fingers out and blasted a fire bolt into the zombie's chest and watched as it dropped to the floor in a smoking ,squelching, disgusting sound. The dwarf caught a whiff of the scent of burned undead corpse and vomited in the corner, wiping his mouth with the corner of his shirt. " Argh, what nasty creatures they be." he said. Three came towards Nathaniel and he sprung forth to action, swinging his sword in fluid precision. Stepping back a step he flipped his sword and cut off the head of the nearest walking corpse and watched the body fall to the floor and he quickly stabbed backwards and shoved his sword deep into the chest of the next creature and flipped around so he could see it. Kicking his foot up he pushed the beast off it and chopped off it's head in one smooth motion, head rolling on the floor, past the wizard, down the hallway. " Search their pockets and take what you find, it may be of use later."

The old man said to them and they began to search the rotting corpses. Raena bent down and began to fumble with the pouch of the nearest zombie to her. The fabric of the pocket tore and her finger jabbed into the rotting flesh making her gag a bit. Swallowing hard, she grit her teeth and continued her task. She found a small silver ring with a square onyx stone that glinted in the light of the fire , along with sixteen pieces of gold. Lord Brennan looked up and flicked his staff towards the end of the hallway and they quickly followed. " Raena, look at the medallion child. What is it doing?" he asked as he drew closer to her in the darkness that surrounded them. Reaching down and grasping it she brought it up to the light of the torch and saw that it was moving again quite fast. She closed her eyes and thought , " Show me the way." And it stopped, pointing to a bricked up wall with no entrance in sight. They all began running their fingers along the wall to find some trace of a secret latch or loosened brick. An hour later and completely frustrated Raena slammed her fist on the wall before her and cursed loudly, " Buggar! that hurt." Sonya began to twitch instantly and came forward sniffing the wall and tilted her head towards the small clicking sounds it was making." Nathaniel, come here and hit right here where Raena hit the wall." The tall young man came forward and slammed the side of his fist into the wall and pushed a brick inwards about six inches where it made a loud click and the wall retreated backwards and slid to the left scraping stone as it moved. In apparent awe, they all slapped him on the back and thanked him and slowly walked through the portal with Sonya in the lead. Gravon still shaking his head back and forth at having found a trap and released those creatures into the mix." Ok Gravon you go in first." With a low grumble he looked up and questioned." Why Do I always have to go in first. .Just once, someone else go in first." The wizard looked sternly at the young man and he shut his mouth instantly and ducked through the opening. Then the lovely elf stepped through the passage way and tilted her head and sniffed the air again, wrinkling her nose. " The air is quite stale but I'm sure that it's quite breathable." she said as she motioned them through. Raena stepped through , then Nathaniel, he could smell the Dragon's Blood resin drifting from her hair and driving him to madness. Taking a deep breath he concentrated on the subject at hand, getting through this ordeal alive. However , when it was over, Raena would know just how much he wanted her.

September 19, 2020 04:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.