0 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction Thriller

 "I, Yusha Khan, legal first son of the Khans, born on the 22nd of April hereby declare that this is my last will and testament. I hereby revoke, annul and terminate all wills, addendum and cocidils previously written by me, jointly or individually.

   I also declare that I am of legal age to make this will, and that I am of sound mental stability.

   In this last will, I have expressed my wishes without undue coercion, influence or duress.

  To my mother, Leanna Khan, I bequeath 50% of my estates and the other half, I give to Gerald Khan, my younger brother. To her, I give back the pieces of land she gifted to me on my last birthday.

  To my dear, dear Evane, I bequeath my manor in the country at 57 Willow Street and it's surrounding properties. I leave to her any other deeds I failed to recall in this will. If she does not claim the animal farm situated a block away, it shall pass to Gerald Khan. I ask of Evane to be his designated guardian of the properties I pass to him until he reaches the age of eighteen.

  To my father, I leave all leave my shares and financial assets in my name and I hereby renounce the position of CEO of his companies. He can have it and do with it as he wishes. I do not want it.

  I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint Leanna Khan as my Executor. If she is unable or unwilling to offer her services, then I appoint Evane Khan, my dearest sister as alternate Executor.

  I hereby declare this will complete and acknowledge it's accuracy. I signed this document in the presence of two witnesses who have signed a legal statement attesting to my legal capacity to enter the agreement.

                         Signed,

                         Yusha khan."


Leaving his will behind on his table, the dark figure let out a breath and snuck out of the place he'd called home for the last twenty seven years. Getting into his car, he looked back to the grand manor and let out a breath. He was sorry, but he was confused. Heart over mind, he drove into the night.


The wooden floorboards creaked against the weight of the young lady catwalking down the corridor. Her dark red stilettos stopped in front of a dark mahogany double door.

He'd better be here and have a very reasonable explanation for why he's been MIA.

She raised a tanned hand and knocked on the door. When silence replied her, she turned the doorknob and swung the door open.

Walking in, she scruntinized the medium sized study and her eyes zeroed in on the white envelope on the tidy desk. In the middle of the sealed envelope in slanted cursive she knew all too well, was the name, Yusha.

Reaching for it, she ripped it open.

Her pissed off expression dulled and her brows snapped together. Emerald eyes raced from left to right, taking in the words on the paper. Her eyes softened, then hardened and her lips drew back in a snarl. A few minutes later, she clenched her fists, squeezing the paper as well.

Whirling around, she marched out of the study, emerald eyes ablaze and a piece of paper gripped in her fist. Descending the stairs to the dining room, she found an elderly couple sitted, talking with a cup of tea each and plate of biscuits and cake between them.

She came to a stop in front of them, "Mother."

The couple looked up and the woman smiled, "Evane! Where have you been?"

Her mother looked behind her then back to her, "Where's your brother? Is he here?"

Raising her fist, she straightened out the creased paper with her other hand then when it looked smooth enough to her, she slipped in on the table in front of her mother.

"I met this in his study on his desk."

Confusion, concern and fear sparkled in her mother's eyes as she looked from the paper scribbled with her son's writing to her daughter's blank eyes.

"What is this?"

"I think you should read it."

"Is everything alright? What is it, Evane?" Her father squinted, trying to get a look at the document.

"Let me see." Lifting the paper to a comfortable reading position, Evane watched, with a blank expression on he face, her mother's green eyes widen then her body fingers trembled. Lifting her face from the paper, she met her husband's concerned gaze and whispered, "It's a will."

Leo scrunched his nose, "So?"

"It's written by Yusha."

"What?" Leo looked from his wife to his daughter. He adjusted his glasses on his nose and shifted his chair closer to his wife's.

"Let's read."

Evane flipped her chestnut hair behind her shoulders and settled into a chair opposite her parents, watching their facial reactions.

"Why would he...? Last will...? First son...?" Leanna sniffed, tears brimming her eyes, she searched Evane's emerald ones. "What is the meaning of this?"

"I don't know. I can't reach him. I tried calling him all day, mother, yesterday too. Yusha is gone."

"We don't know that." her mother countered.

"He wrote a frigging will, Mother!"

"May be it's not what we think. We shouldn't just jump to conclusions."

Evane took the paper from her mother's trembling fingers, "It's hard not to. Everything is so professional and so...final."

"Yusha didn't show up to work today or yesterday. He hasn't had any contact with anyone. There hasn't been any credit card or check in record. He's not at home, at work or any company house." Liam, who had been quiet and fumbling around with his phone finally spoke. His voice was hard.

"What?"

A notification sound cut off his reply and he looked back to his phone, "His apartment was open and all his cars are there. He didn't take anything with him. He left everything behind."

"What?" Evane whispered.

"I shouldn't have told him." Leanna sobbed and green eyes shot her way.

"What did you say to him?"

Liam caressed his wife's shoulder, understanding in his eyes, "You told him?"

Leanna nodded.

"What did you tell him?"

Leanna shook her head, pressing her hand to her mouth to quiet her sobs. Evane looked to her father, expectantly.

Liam sighed, "He's adopted."

She paled, "What?"

Leanna nodded, still crying. "It's true. He is."

"Your mother and I...we thought we weren't able to have children and so, we looked to the next best solution. Six years later, we were blessed with you and Gerald. I don't know how he found out but he confronted your mother about it and well..."

"He assured me he was fine!" Leanna declared. "He told me he was shocked, and confused and asked me a whole lot other questions but he assured me he was fine. If he wasn't, I never would have told him. I would have lied and taken it to the grave. I love him so much. If I had known he would do this, I never... I...I... "

"Leanna..." Liam gently squeezed her shoulder, comforting her.

"I understand he feels betrayed and like his life is his. But it is. No matter what, even if I wasn't the one who gave birth to him, he's still my son. I told him it didn't matter he wasn't my first born, he's my first child. He told me he was going to take time off and think about it. I didn't think he would leave."

The sound of the chair scraping across the floor caught their attention, "Evane?"


Said girl was staring down at her phone in shock, then she squealed, "I just got a message from Yusha."

His parents eyes lit up, "What does it say?"

Evane smiled.

" I just need some time to think things through, I'll see you soon."

September 03, 2020 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.