0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

"What even is this?"

Roanoke looked on in understandable confusion.

Tyofoni replied, "I bought us a boat. Want to take it for a spin?"

Roanoke said, "You don't even know how to drive a boat."

"Um, I believe the term you are thinking about is sailing. We are sailing with the boat."

"Alright, say we go sailing about in this boat. What makes you think you or I are actually capable of sailing a boat?"

"You’re no fun Roe. The Darcassians ride around in boats all the time. It's easy."

Tyofoni climbed into the boat. She was a bit unsteady on her

feet as the boat rocked. Turning to Roanoke she spread her arms out with a big grin. "See, totally safe."

Roanoke asked, "Where did you even buy this thing from?"

"Hmm? Oh this, from that Elf Merchant what was in town. Evirion

or Terivon or some other nonsense. Elf names sound so similar don't you think?"

Guh... Everon, Roanoke thought. That shifty Elf would be the death of her.

"Tyofoni, I'm not getting in this boat with you."

"What, why not?"

Roanoke replied, "Well for one I don't trust you on land. What makes you think I will trust you at sea?"

Tyofoni brushed her finger on the railing. She said, "So it is true, the mighty Athelians, fierce warriors of the Eastern Steppes, afraid of a little water?" She flexed at the fierce warriors part.

Roanoke said, "An Athelian is not scared of anything."

She walked the rickety gangplank to the boat. Her legs wobbled

as she tried to find a solid footing. The boat had a single sail, some paddles, life jackets and two planks for seats. Tyofoni now grinning from ear to ear slipped her life jacket on. She presented Roanoke with hers.

"Got to observe true water safety. It is regulation after all."

Roanoke slapped the life jacket out of Tyofoni's hands. "Get that thing away from me. I am not wearing those again."

"But it’s for your own safety."

Roanoke thought on her experience on the Star Cutter. Sailing

along the Sea Bridge, the waves, the shaking decks, the-

She shook her head.

"I am totally fine. I'm just going to sit in the boat for the whole trip. Speaking of which where are we going?"

Tyofoni replied, "The finest damn cruise of your life. We are sailing the Fruirnen. I'm amazed you don't recognize it."

Roanoke glanced around. They were not too far away from

Maritzagrad but this part of the region was nondescript. Thick bushes, barely any trees, and with tall grass. The Fruirnen was a large river that served as a moat for Maritzagrad then emptied out into the harbor. This river did not look like the mighty, rushing waves she saw when she first came to the city. This river was tepid with all the energy and enthusiasm as a dehydrated Water Mulo.

She sat down.

"Alright our first and last stop is aaaaaaaadventure." Confetti exploded from beneath her sleeves. Some of it wafted around Roanoke's face.

Tyofoni plopped down near the boat engine. "You Athelians sure are rays of sunshine. Absolute bursting with a love of adventure."

"Oh I have plenty of love for adventure," Roanoke replied.

Tyofoni pulled on the engine. Technicolor smoke burst from the

engine. Without further prodding the boat was on the move. Her hand on the rudder, she guided the boat along this narrow stretch of river.

"You couldn't have chosen a... wider start position?"

Tyofoni replied, "You don't practice your fancy horse archery standing around do you?"

"No. I learned how to ride then I learned how to shoot while I ride." Roanoke glanced away. "Or maybe I learned how to shoot then ride? I was really young back then."

"Well, how else am I to get better at sailing if I never practice it?"

"You’re a marine though; you don't get any practice on those landers of yours?"

Tyofoni said, "I don't get to drive the lander. And anyway, marines technically aren't navy. It is very weird how we soldiers get sorted you know."

"I can relate."

The engine putted along. The river gradually widened the tall

grass and bushes being left behind for wide open plains on both sides. Tyofoni drank it all in. Roanoke sat despondent.

"What's the matter?"

Roanoke replied, "Do boats have to be all shaky? They toss and turn, it is so chaotic."

"There's more control than you think." Tyofoni exclaimed, "Hey Roanoke, here is a challenge."

Up ahead was a tree with its branches drooping close to the river. On its branches nested a number of black and white birds. Some splashed into the water while their other kin squawked.

"Try shooting one. We can cook it up later tonight."

Roanoke stood up. She un-slung her bow from her back and nocked

an arrow. "Anyone in particular?"

"Hmm, there's a big fat one. Try aiming for that."

Roanoke saw it. It was swimming with the rest of its obnoxious kind. Occasionally it dunked its head into the water, its webbed feet flailing on the surface. After a while it remerged wet from below. It bloated then compressed down, water spraying from its feathers.

The boat seemed too low for her to shoot perfectly straight. She

balanced on one of the seats. It was a precarious perch. Roanoke found herself rocking forward and backward. It foiled any chance of a careful shot.

When an arrow was loosed, it went hopelessly high. It splashed

into the water, the birds not even spooked by the reverberations.

"How do you expect to shoot anything from a boat? It is so unstable."

"Hah, watch and learn."

Tyofoni stood and drew her pistol. She fired, scaring off the

flock but leaving a dead bird floating in the water. Its carcass bumped against the boat. Tyofoni leaned over and pulled the bird out by its leg. It was a clean kill, the bullet cutting right through it.

"You used a gun," Roanoke said.

"It's not too different from shooting from horseback."

Roanoke replied, "Well with a horse I can control my mount's movements. This is an inanimate object that seems to be a victim of the tides."

"That's what a landlubber would say. Working on a ship is a..." Tyofoni giggled. "Partnership between sailor, ship, and sea. You learn to anticipate the movements of the waves and then adapt your vessel to that movement. You don't fight the sea. You sail it."

They continued onwards, the river becoming quicker and more

raucous. Tyofoni stayed at the rudder, guiding the boat down tricky bends. Roanoke sat tensing every time the boat seemed like it would run aground.

She looked ahead and spotted another flock of birds coasting on

the water. Tyofoni got up and nudged Roanoke.

"I'm stopping the boat for a bit. You are looking a little

green there."

"Am not."

"Want to give it another shot? We'll be crossing into the city limits in a few minutes. Once we reach Maritzagrad, we can go fishing. Nice way to end the day eh?"

Roanoke looked at the birds splashing in the water. She rolled

her eyes. She picked up her bow again and took aim.

Tyofani stood back and watched Roanoke. She gave a thumbs up for

approval.

This time Roanoke compensated for the rocking. She tried to

maintain a steady footing. Then she loosed. The arrow struck true, sending the birds fleeing for the skies and one of their own dead in the water. The arrow was so heavy it flipped upside down. Tyofani applauded.

"Nice shot. Now let's get her closer so we can nab it." She added, "I'm proud of you Roanoke."

Roanoke stood by the side. She reached down to pull the bird out. Roanoke retracted her hand when the bird vanished into the water. Tyofani looked up.

"What happened?"

"I don't know the bird just seemed to dive."

"Dive?"

Just then something heavy struck the boat. Tyofani clung to the engine. Paddles and boxes rolled and splashed over the starboard side. Roanoke screamed as the force threw her overboard.

"Roe!"

The boat fell back and the water grew calm. Tyofani rushed to the sides. The water was calm except for something large stirring the waters. Roanoke's bow emerged, snapped in two.

"Roe! Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap."

Tyofani took out her pistol and a dagger. With no hesitation Tyofani jumped into the water. It was murkier than she thought. She glanced around for any sight of Roanoke. Then she saw it. A light that seemed to be writhing in the water. Its body was completely black except for the light that dangled from its head. It thrashed something back and forth.

Tyofani fired. Three shots punched into the creature's side. It

spun around. Tyofani saw it as a Manglemaw, a lantern fish's angrier and monstrous cousin. Bigger too and unafraid of venturing from its dark lairs.

She could see a body in its mouth. To her relief it was not limp

but was beating on the beast's face with a sword drawn.

Tyofani could not remember Roanoke bringing a sword. She was

batting at its eye, causing the creature to bite down and thrash more. Tyofani took Roanoke's cue and aimed for its other eye.

Blood burst from its eye causing it to drift down. It briefly released its grip on Roanoke before biting down again. Roanoke went limp and blood wafted through the water. Tyofani pushed herself forward. With her knife she thrust it into the Manglemaw's lure. The creature writhed, opening its mouth again and again. Tyofani emptied her pistol into the beast. With her free arm she wrapped it around Roanoke and swam up.

Tyofani broke the surface of the water. She exhaled and took in

a few breaths. Carrying Roanoke she swam for the shore. Safe on land Tyofani laid Roanoke down.

"Roanoke? Roanoke speak to me."

Tyofani put her head to Roanoke's chest. She could hear a

heartbeat and some faint breathing. She was just about to do chest compressions when a hand slapped onto her shoulder.

Roanoke spat out water and blood.

"Could you please stop yelling? I'm still dizzy."

Tyofani hugged Roanoke.

"Oh Roe I'm so sorry I will never take you fishing again how could I be so stupid I should have had more safety precautions and you almost died and we got jumped by a random denizen of the deep that should not have even been here will you ever forgive me?"

Roanoke smacked the side of her head, dislodging excess water

from her ear.

"Can you repeat that again?"

Tyofani asked, "Oh you got bitten. Where is the

damage?"

Before she could stop her Tyofani was already unbuttoning her shirt. And beneath it was...

"Chainmail and plating? You were wearing armor while we

were cruising a river?"

It was a mix of the two, with steel plating overlapping a shirt of chainmail. There were bite marks where the Manglermaw tried to sink its jaws into Roanoke. There were two holes though where its teeth penetrated.

"If it is okay with you, I'd like to get that checked," Roanoke said.

Tyofani nodded and helped her up. Martizagrad was not too far away.

Later that night Roanoke was recuperated at the Imperial Hospital. Tyofani waited outside of her room was the door opened. The doctor said, "Roanoke will be fine. The bite marks were superficial and missed any important organs. She just needs rest."

Tyofani breathed a sigh of relief. "May I see her?"

Tyofani walked in. Roanoke lay in bed listening to some music from Darcassian Public Radio.

"How are you feeling?"

Roanoke replied, "It is not the worst wounds I have sustained. Thank you for saving me."

Tyofani sat down at her bedside.

"Roe, listen, I'm sorry I tried to take you out of your comfort zone. I just wanted to hang out... and celebrate having bought a boat."

"It’s nothing Tyofani. It was my fault for not being honest with you. I do have a fear of water." Her eyes widened. "And now of seafood. Jeez, those are the kinds of creatures lurking in the rivers? I'm not taking my horse to any river anytime soon."

"Those things are local to Minuba so I would not worry about it."

"Cool, cool."

They glanced out the window. Roanoke chuckled.

Tyofani asked, "What is so funny?"

"I've not hunted a beast that fearsome in a while." Roanoke asked, "You think we could... give the sailing another shot? I'd like to overcome my fear."

Tyofani grinned. "Sounds great. I already have in the mind the perfect fishing spot."

June 18, 2021 13:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.