1 comment

Fiction Fantasy Science Fiction

The longest day that never ends, well I would like to say it's me sitting in a classroom, but it's not school time, it's summer time. I could say it's the long summer nights spent awake looking up at the stars, but it's not, the longest day of the year, the day that never ends, is well today.

Not your today, my today, it would be your maybe three years ago today, but for me it's been the same summer day over and over again, it not a bad actually, no school, I can goof off and do whatever I want, can rob a bank, travel, meet whoever I want, not listen to what I told to do and do whatever, but I don’t, I tried traveling, I harvest robbed a bank, yet..

I haven't done much, I usually like to talk around my neighborhood and meet new people, or try a new project, but nothing stays, each time at 11:59, no 12:00, that too predictable, but at 11:59 everything restarts and I get a chance to do whatever I want, its great. 

There our other stories and movies where people get stuck in a loop, a loop that never ends, some of them they fall in love and others they get to do be there with there best friend, but for me, I’m alone, that's not new, but it stocks when I want to talk to someone about something, but I don’t have that.

I have a great family and friends, but this loop, I have aged, mentality that is, but not physically, and it feels like I have outgrown some people, kinda hurts, I am supposed to be seventeen , not fourteen. I was the spouse to be driving, or doing something that seventeen year old's do, but I don’t know.

I was sitting on the roof of my house, looking at the stars, they always were the same, same moon phase, same house lights on and same car alarms that always start at the same time. Maybe I should try traveling again today, well tomorrow today, not today.

I watched my phone tune 11:59 and then I woke up in my bed, I sat up, I have traveled before, I worried the crap out of my family each time, I mean it makes sense your “fourteen” going missing, probably would be scary, but I just want to get out of here, just for a little bit.

I quickly got up and ran down the stairs outside and began to walk. I don’t need to bother with getting dressed or anything because it doesn't matter, no one will remember. I began to walk to my neighbors car that I knew they were going to be driving out today, I quickly got in the trunk and waited and there I was. I hope my family will be ok, I don't want to scare them too badly.

It finally stopped and they popped the trunk. I may have scared them a bit, I ran, I was at the beach and it was beautiful, I kept running away from the neighbors that I knew would come after me, I have done this a few times. 

This never ending day, this never ending loop, I knew everything that would happen, well maybe not today, I ran to my hiding spot. I had found a while ago, a water cave, that if you swim underneath, you can find a small cave system. I have almost drowned a few times, but the day would just reset if I almost died. 

I thought this time as I got to the cave system I could just chill, but instead this time I did get to the system, but this time, I got tackled, that's never happened before. I looked back from where I had gotten tackled and found a girl, she looked older than me, probably as old as I should be looking, but I didn’t.  As I looked back I saw two more boys, what was happening, I tried to get up, but as I did she pinned me down and I elbowed her.

The girl rolled away as I got up and looked at them “can I help you three?” I asked, this has never happened before, the girl got up holding her stomach. I just elbowed and the boys came closer, I backed up a bit “your the loop right?”  one of the boys said, “I am in the loop, not the loop itself” I said as I looked at them.

They only shook their heads, “no that not what he means, you are the loop, the reason we are here” the girl said wincing, “mind expanding on that?” I asked, honestly none of this seemed too weird after being in a loop for three years where everything was the same, this is interesting. 

The other boy that had not spoken yet cleared his throat, he had a British accent “We were sent here, to collect you because what has been happening for three year, we have been trying to find you for a while now and..” I started to laugh.

I didn’t mean to, but this was like a movie, I couldn't stop laughing. This was a joke, a joke so funny, yet so real, I looked up at them, they probably thought I was crazy, “Ok sure, then what now? You got me, take me away or something” I said, still trying not to laugh. 

They walked up to me, the girl grabbing my wrist before the boys put their hands on my shoulder, they were pretty tall, made me think how tall I was supposed to be, I watched the girl pull out a small rock before everything went dark.

I thought the day would restart, but instead I woke up in a place I have seen before, in a new bed, I wasn't home, my family, did the day restart still?! I stood up quickly as I looked around and headed to the door, it all looked futuristic to me.

As I stood out I came face to face to the girl before, she looked down at me before shoving me back inside, “listen Era, you are here at what I can only describe as the time keepers homes and you have been keeping your earth in a loop for three year, that needs to stop”

“Era is not my name and how have I been keeping my home in a loop?” I said, she looked me up and down “Era is your name for now and look, she said tossing a stone at me, as I caught it, small green lines began to appear on my arms and then dispersed further on my body.

“You somehow ended up with some time stuck inside you and we can’t get it out unless we want to… end your time, but we won't so instead we will keep you here and teach you how to control whatever you have been doing for three years” she said

“Wait...what about my family and who are you?” I asked she rolled her eyes before snatching the rock up and the green lines left, “my name is Second, but just call me Sec and your family is fine, now come with me”

She began to walk out the door and I followed. There was a machine, a giant tube, she handed me an outfit, something like hers, an all white jumper, but with Era sewed on to it, I changed into it before she shoved me in the machine. The jumper was big, but that probably shouldn't be my main concern.

“What am I in?” she only walked over to the side of the tube and began to do something that got the tube to light up, “you’ll see”, great I thought, it got bright before it all stopped, I had dots in my vision as I came out of the tube, but as it cleared up I looked down as Sec, I was taller!

I looked down at myself before a mirror popped out, I was tall and my hair was longer and my chest...damn I looked good, I lacked in some parts, but I looked pretty good. Sec grabbed my arm before dragging me to another room, she was way smaller than I thought.

As we got in the room, the boys were there, I was much closer to their height. Their jumpers had hours and the British one had minutes, so smart I thought as I glanced at them.   

Minutes began to talk “Now we get started”, well then guess this was a good change, I wasn't alone, my family was supposedly ok, I was tall and now I’m out of the loop, kinda. This Day that never ended turned into something much different.  

June 21, 2021 21:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mellanie Crouell
00:10 Jun 28, 2021

Where is part 2?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.