Contest #179 shortlist ⭐️

Resolutions for the Great Full

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list of New Year's resolutions.... view prompt

106 comments

American Sad Holiday

This story contains sensitive content

Content warning: Mentions/themes of death and mental health issues


***


Name: Timmy Calhoun


Grade: 1st


Date: Friday, Decimbur 15, 1995


Resolution #1: Be more great full


Please explain: That's what my aunt Lola tells me all the time. That I should be more great full. That means when some one does some thing nice for you, you should say Thank You.


I do say it some times. Like when Suzy Brown holded the door for me yesturday after lunch. And also last Krismus when Santa got me a new toy car. It was brite blue, like the one on the TV comershul, and it moved really fast across my living room floor! I don't have that car any more, but I asked Momma to say Thank You to Santa when I got it. Grownups talk to each other alot. I tryed to get my little brother Larry to say Thank You with me, but I think it's only grownups that like to speak alot, not babys, so he just drooled.


Any way, Thank You for teaching us about resolutions and for making us rite this list in class today, Ms. Newman. You did some thing nice for me, cause I hate homework but I don't hate classwork that much. And I like my desk by the window, and I like having quiet time. We never have quiet time at home. My aunt Lola is all ways talking on the phone. Even after bedtime. Some times, late at night, I can hear her wispering my name.


Resolution #2: Wash hands after useing the bathroom


Please explain: That's also some thing my aunt Lola likes to tell me. That if you don't wash your hands after useing the bathroom, you can pick up a lot of germs and get sick. Like how I got those chicken pocks all over my body in Septimbur, and I stayed home and itched myself and eated hot chicken soup for a week. My aunt says it's cause I didn't wash my hands real good.


One time she even told me that if you got too many germs in your body, you could "die." But that was a wile ago. She doesn't like to use that word any more.


But I just don't like the soap in aunt Lola's house. She makes her own soap and it smells sad, like wet butter. I like Momma's soap more, the kind that smells like her, milk and honey.


I think maybe my aunt Lola is rite tho, cause every Saturday we visit Momma at the Western State Hospital and there are alot of sick people there. The first time we visited, I asked the nurse how many people they had and she said there were over 800 beds! And one time I even saw a man with his arms tyed across the front of his jacket. He must have had some really bad chicken pocks and couldn't stop itching himself. I know how that feels. It must be hard to eat soup with no hands tho.


Some times when we're visiting Momma at the hospital, we hear some of the other people yelling. Some times it's just non-cents shouting, and some times they say words Momma asked me to never ever use. One time I even yelled back. I told some guy that he should just wash his hands. That if he did, maybe he would get better and then he could go home to his family.


Then I told Momma the same thing a few minutes later.


Resolution #3: Be nicer to Momma


Please explain: This isn't some thing aunt Lola says to me. It's some thing I came up with on my own, so I know I can do it.


The day Momma left our house to move into the 800 bed hospital and I moved in with my aunt Lola, she borrowed me her old Walkman. It looks like a brick and it only plays slow grownup music called jazz, but she lets me take it to the hospital so I don't hear all the people shouting. I still hear them, but I pretend not to.


On Saturdays when we go to see Momma, I sit in the chair by her bed and listen to my jazz. Her room smells like the swimming pool we use to go to on sunny days. My aunt Lola sits in the chair on the bed's other side and talks to Momma and touches her arm with her wet butter hands. I think that's also why she borrowed me her Walkman, so she could talk to Momma about me and not have me hear. I let her think that. I'm good at pretending.


Momma isn't like the other people in the hospital who shout. She doesn't talk, to me or my aunt Lola or the nice ladys in the blue pajamas who all ways come in and see if we're doing OK. Her eyes are all ways open, but her mouth never is. And cause she all ways use to tell me it was good manners to speak when spoken to, I also don't say much to her besides hello and goodby. And the one time I told her to wash her hands.


But next year I can try to be nicer to her.


I can talk to her about school and let her use the Walkman when all the songs are done and I have to go back to the start.


I can let her know how much I love her.


I can let her know I'm sorry.


Maybe she would be great full if I did that. Maybe she would say Thank You.


Resolution #4: Pick up my toys 


Please explain: This won't be hard. I don't have that much toys any more. I still have my Etch-a-Sketch. I use to be bad at it, but now if I turn the buttons real good, I can all most draw a cat or the sun or Momma's house. I also have my Woody doll, the one that I brung to show and tell last month. He doesn't say Thank You but he can say other stuff if you pull his string, like Reach For the Sky.


That's all my toys now.


My aunt Lola won't let me have cars any more. I don't get why, cause she wasn't there when it happuned. It was just me and Momma.


We were the ones in the kichen making dinner when my little brother Larry scooted himself across the living room, picked up my brite blue Santa car, and put it in his mouth. It was me who went to grab him for dinner and found him like that, with his face the same color as my car. It was me who called 911 when Momma was crying and screaming and looping her arms around Larry's tummy and pushing until the amburlamps showed up.


My aunt Lola wasn't there at all and she still won't let me have another toy car.


I miss Momma.


Resolution #5: Stop asking my aunt Lola when I can go home


Please explain: Do I have to?

January 07, 2023 04:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

106 comments

Tommy Goround
13:23 Jan 08, 2023

Clapping

Reply

Zack Powell
16:29 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you, Tommy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Henry Azure
03:47 Jan 08, 2023

Subtle way to reference a straight jacket. This is devastating, I really like the description of the hospital from a child's perspective.

Reply

Zack Powell
06:46 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you, Mr. Snek! The straightjacket line was the sentence that went through the most revisions and rewrites, so I'm glad the spirit of it came through. Who would've thought describing a mental hospital from a child's POV would be so tough, amirite?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
16:34 Jan 07, 2023

Oh my heart. :( Christmas is over but you are still giving out the gift of storytelling. Masterful.

Reply

Zack Powell
18:50 Jan 07, 2023

Thanks for the lovely comment, Wendy! This was a toughie to write, for sure.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:58 Jan 13, 2023

Worth it! Congratulations on the shortlist! :)

Reply

Zack Powell
18:37 Jan 13, 2023

Thank you very much, Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
12:39 Jan 07, 2023

Pen Pal Zaddy~ What a story! You really captured the voice of a first grader, which is something I personally find intimidating to write because I do my best to stay away from children lol. So, mad kudos to you for pulling it off! I usually find misspellings distracting when I read, but it worked really well here. You must be well-read in children/middle-grade fiction, have little ones running around, or you're just that good (my bet's on the last one 😄 😁 😆) I like that you chose an epistolary narrative device. You know how much I love tha...

Reply

Zack Powell
13:51 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you, my good Pen Pal! Definitely had to go back a few years (okay, a few decades 😂) to get into the mentality for this one, so I'm glad the voice came through, misspellings and all. Side note: You don't even want to see what the prose for the first draft of this looked like, LOL. And it's more of the first option than the other two 🤣 I lived on children's fiction for an unhealthy amount of my life. Very glad the epistolary format worked for you. I thought this prompt specifically was all about choosing the right framing device to tell...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
02:22 Jan 14, 2023

CONGRATS FRIEND! 🥳 🎉🥳

Reply

Zack Powell
02:39 Jan 14, 2023

Thank you, my friend! 🥳❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:59 Jan 08, 2023

Just so neatly packaged. The story is told through the eyes of a first grader, and then the big reveal at the end. You captured it all superbly. Great job. LF6

Reply

Zack Powell
04:52 Jan 09, 2023

Thanks, Lily! Writing this felt like it was anything other than "neatly packaged," so it's nice to know that maybe it came together after all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
19:51 Jan 08, 2023

Wow... I thought I had a handle on the direction this story was heading, but that last twist was really a hammer blow in the stomach. Excellent voice, excellent characters, excellent plot. All in all, a fantastic story!

Reply

Zack Powell
03:38 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you, Daniel! Always nice to hear when a twist pays off instead of falls flat. Appreciate the kindness!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:43 Jan 08, 2023

Oh wow. This is brilliant. Fun to read, foreboding as all heck, and so so sad. The wonderful naivete of the voice that conveys the reality the reader understands is so skillfully done. And yet, the protagonist totally understands the real heartbreak of it all and so does the reader.

Reply

Zack Powell
02:21 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you, Laurel! Absolutely loved your story this week, so I'm glad this story could give you something in return. What a lovely comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
14:11 Jan 08, 2023

This is a seriously good read. You have carried it off really well. To write a story with so many misspellings etc and yet make it easy to read must have been difficult. Lovely story which I enjoyed reading

Reply

Zack Powell
01:03 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you, Stevie! The misspellings were absolutely the trickiest part about writing this - when to use them and how poorly to phonetically translate them. Was a fun experiment nonetheless. Thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:01 Jan 08, 2023

Your story is beautifully crafted. I love the child’s voice and his innocent perspective, that you captured. A little person who has very big, traumatic things to comprehend and does the best he can. You cleverly weaved a child’s limited understanding of the subject and hinted a their sometimes strange leaps of logic that make perfect sense to them. Such a heartbreaking ending.

Reply

Zack Powell
00:21 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you very much, Michelle! Childlike POVs and voices are not my forte, so this is such a lovely comment. I appreciate every word.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
10:57 Jan 08, 2023

Lord . . . Whether it be music or writing, there are two groups: the One Hit Wonders and the Multi Hit Wonders. The Macarenas and the Madonnas. You're clearly the latter (the Zadonna of Reedsy). The hits just keep coming, one after another, and unlike the One Hit Wonders, these winning stories of yours aren't lucky shots in the dark; they're the result of pure talent. I'm going to take a not-so-wild guess that this one's a finalist. I'm calling it now. I honestly stopped watching Pretty Little Liars when I saw you'd posted because I knew...

Reply

Zack Powell
16:10 Jan 08, 2023

"I honestly stopped watching Pretty Little Liars when I saw you'd posted" is perhaps the greatest compliment I've ever received in 28 years of life. Truly, it is. Thank you also for the compliment on the format (which was super fun, despite "Please explain" giving me awful flashbacks to my elementary school writing assignments 😬), and on the consistency of the misspellings (which was its own nightmare). And yeah, children and random capitalization of words. Name a more iconic duo. Thanks again, Liv! Your comment already made my morning.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:10 Jan 15, 2023

:D congrats on the shortlist!!!

Reply

Zack Powell
21:27 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
08:30 Jan 08, 2023

I had an idea where this was going when it started but was hooked with the innocence of a young person's description. Good work with the spelling and voice, it was not over done. Sad, and a strong ending.

Reply

Zack Powell
09:32 Jan 08, 2023

Thanks, Marty! Props for catching where this was going too. I appreciate readers who try to figure out where the author is heading before they get there. Try to do the same thing myself (even though I'm lousy at it).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
08:12 Jan 08, 2023

Oh Zack, what a heartbreaking story... this is so well written and you captured a first grader's way of thinking and perceiving the world so very well! Momma, though we only see her briefly, is so clear in my mind, it hurts! Well done you!

Reply

Zack Powell
10:16 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you, Rama! Been quite a while since I've been a first grader, so it's nice to know this sounded like the way one thinks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
06:07 Jan 08, 2023

Sometimes as a teacher, you set these writing tasks and really unsurprising and beautiful pieces of writing result. Professionally, I could relate to your MC and his transforming this, on the surface rather dull enforced exercise, into something meaningful for him. The style gives the piece so much poignancy: the structuring, with the desire to improve and please, what's necessitated it with his mum and the suggestion of past traumas. It's an incredibly subtle piece of writing all told movingly from the child's confused pov. Some parts are r...

Reply

Zack Powell
07:29 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you, Rebecca! Given the format of this story, I'm beyond excited to see an actual teacher share their perspective here. I imagine you must see all types of things in writing come from your students - good, bad, and ugly. I'm glad to hear the child's confused POV worked for you. (Yes, if only we could wash away all disease, mental or otherwise, with soap, the world would be so much easier!) It was a sad one to write - I felt terrible for this kid's future. Also, you should totally ask your students to write a list sometime! I'd also be...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:04 Jan 13, 2023

Happy to be sharing the shortlist this week with you Zack. It's my birthday so this is the cherry on the cake!

Reply

Zack Powell
21:23 Jan 13, 2023

Happy birthday, Rebecca! A shortlist is a pretty good present, I'd say! Glad to be sharing the winner's circle with you as well - your story definitely deserved the attention.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
17:32 Jan 07, 2023

Hi Zaddy! Strong start to 2023! The kids voice is so spot on, it reminds me of the tone of my first diary (though inside that there was a lot less serious drama)! I knew there was some big picture issue to unravel so, as always, it was a fun (can I say "fun" within this context?) journey to get to the bottom of what really was going on. The intentional typos were so good, and the last line was just perfect. I'm going to pick that one as my favourite! PS: I don't want to jinx it but is smells like success. ;) PPS: One more thing I noticed...

Reply

Zack Powell
18:01 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you, my dear! Props to you for being able to reminisce on your diary fondly. When I think back to the journal I had at this age...😬🤐☠️, all in that order. And you know my work so well by now that you were probably already clued in to where we were heading, even before the unraveling details. The typos were a lot of fun to play with - so many silent letters and irregular verbs and weirdly-pluralized nouns in English! (If only you saw the monstrosity of the first draft, which I promptly deleted, LOL.) And this checked a few items off my...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
16:53 Jan 13, 2023

Oh was I right about this one?! Congrats Zaddy, here's to Reedsy stardom and beyond!👏👏👏👏

Reply

Zack Powell
17:08 Jan 13, 2023

Thank you, my dear! I was looking for any and every excuse not to write something for tonight's contest (so many ideas, so many failed drafts 😂), so I'm definitely treating this like a win and taking the night off. Nothing from me this time around when you wake up tomorrow morning. P.S. How's your own writing going? The Selaphiel stuff, the novel, any contests you've been looking at. I wanna know!

Reply

Riel Rosehill
17:55 Jan 13, 2023

You know I'm more on board than I should be with the "any excuse to get out of work" - Procrastinator life, LOL! And I think definitely, as long as you get on that list it's like a win! Contest wise I'm doing NYC Midnight which I signed up for mainly because they give feedback (and I'm already terrified), and as for the Selaphiel universe there might be a surprise crossover story but not for my page this time! But truly I don't have any specific secrets to spill about that one just yet ;) As for the novel, I'm struggling with my own, this ...

Reply

Zack Powell
21:01 Jan 13, 2023

Procrastination is definitely a lifestyle. No doubt about that. 🤣 No publications or contests on the horizon here, but your comment had me looking into NYC Midnight, and now I'm debating it. You and I are no strangers to cobbling together stories in 24 hours or less, so I think we'd be pretty good there, LOL. I'm gonna give it some thought this week. Always happy to see a Selaphiel story, no matter how far down the pipeline it comes. As long as it's out there, I'll read it. And the infamous "writing block" curse is deadly. When you know it'...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
16:09 Jan 07, 2023

Good morning Zack! I was looking forward to your approach to this prompt. You are a master at creative and unique formulating and heartbreaking! To set this up as a grade school assignment is genius. I think we're all kicking ourselves for not thinking of that. This is definitely something children would be asked to do in school. The "Please Explain" section gave me awful flashbacks to these worksheets. 😂 And with the carefully placed and accurate representations of typos that we see from kiddos, I could almost see the sloppy pencil-writte...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:53 Jan 07, 2023

These kinds of comments always make me scream with joy that someone donated that much of their time to engage with my story. So, before anything else, thank you oh so much, Anne Marie! Really happy to hear the classroom assignment framing device dubbed "genius." This was my third attempt to write a story for this prompt (after two failed Funny pieces), so we just decided to throw a noodle at the wall and hope it sticked. And yes, I don't think I'll ever get over the trauma of "Please Explain" and its math counterpart, "Show Your Work." 😬 T...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:44 Jan 08, 2023

Sometimes stories come at you in reverse order! Good on you for recognizing it and filling in the pieces. I think it came together really smoothly. I can totally relate to the struggle of not slipping in too much author's voice, but I think this is balanced enough to work. The perspective FELT like a young child, and I think that is what's important here. Looking forward to your next story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anam Shaikh
13:52 Jan 07, 2023

I was looking for writing prompts so I could build on my own ideas, but I got completely distracted and just ended being astounded by the writing - it really made me feel like I was in the same room when all this was going down! Almost as if the characters are real. I have to admit, although the child is in the first grade, I still don't think that their spelling would be that bad; just constructive criticism, but I'm not too fine of children anyways.

Reply

Zack Powell
14:06 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you very much, Anam! This is, thank goodness, a work of fiction, but "almost as if the characters are real" is about the nicest compliment you can receive for a story about made-up people. Constructive criticism is always welcome here, and yours is totally fair and valid. This was a fun exercise in playing with the clarity/form of language, but I'm right there with you. I think (or at least hope) that a real first-grader's spelling wouldn't be as questionable as Timmy's. 😅Thanks for the read and the comment - it's very much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
10:28 Jan 07, 2023

I wanted to try this prompt but I could not think how to write a story as a list, so I was glad to see you had chosen this so I could see how you would do it! When I read the first heading I did think reading the whole thing in the child's voice complete with miss-spelling was going to be a bit distracting, but it actually wasn't at all. I guess because everything is phonetic it read the same way it would have anyway, and also helped create that plain feel of a small child speaking. And anytime you write a child's voice you always get that...

Reply

Zack Powell
13:44 Jan 07, 2023

Love how deeply you dug into this, Kelsey! You hit all the things I was shooting for. (I would've loved to see your take on this prompt, by the way!) Yeah, the biggest concern I had with this was whether the misspellings would come across as "distracting" (and in fact there were even more of them before I submitted - this is the "cleaned-up" version, LOL), so I'm really happy to know that going the phonetic route was the right call. Didn't want this to be too much like alphabet soup. Special thanks for quoting the quiet time line. The whol...

Reply

Kelsey H
22:13 Jan 13, 2023

Congrats Zack, I had a feeling as soon as I read it you would get a win with this one!

Reply

Zack Powell
23:09 Jan 13, 2023

Thanks, Kelsey! Wasn't so sure about this one myself, so getting recognized totally made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Naomi Onyeanakwe
09:31 Jan 07, 2023

Hi Zack. First, I'm not going to lie, reading stories on this prompt is quite painful for me because I was going to submit under this same prompt and in this same format but it was a busy week so I hadn't finished by yesterday and I was going to finish it and submit yesterday but then something happened and I couldn't. So it makes this really sad story even sadder for me. But that's fine. I liked this, I really liked this. I think you nailed the voice and the depiction of the mind of a child. And maybe it's childish but the spellings crack...

Reply

Zack Powell
13:33 Jan 07, 2023

Naomi! I had a feeling this was the prompt in this set that would catch your eye, given your last story on here. Despite not submitting your story this week, I definitely would love to see you finish it and email it to me when it's ready for other people's eyes. I'll totally read and give you my usual feedback. Promise! Glad to hear that the spellings cracked someone else up. It was really fun to just let loose with grammar and language (you should SEE how much auto-correct was yelling at me when I went to submit this - red squiggles EVERYW...

Reply

Naomi Onyeanakwe
17:02 Jan 07, 2023

Omg thank you soo much for that really kind offer. I was thinking of submitting it if another prompt comes that I could fit it into, but if that doesn't happen soon, I'll definitely send it to you. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
06:18 Jan 07, 2023

Zack, I'm glad you posted a story this week. I can see your new year resolution is to experiment more, and find different ways to break our hearts 😅 The voice here is so apt, sweet and sad. The little boy's perception of the tragedies unfolding around him are spot on- not in depth but unsettling enough. Here is to more exploration 🥂. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Zack Powell
13:27 Jan 07, 2023

Suma! Thank you as always for your enduring warmth and generosity. You got it right too: experimentation is at the very top of my list of writing resolutions this year, and this was a fun way to start 2023 (maybe not so fun in subject matter though, LOL). Here's to more exploration indeed!

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
17:52 Jan 13, 2023

Congratulations, Zack!

Reply

Zack Powell
22:09 Jan 13, 2023

Thank you, Suma! Glad to finally be sharing a winner's circle with you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
05:12 Jan 07, 2023

So you decided to take this prompt and break my heart? Odd choice to be sure but exquisite writing and story telling. I can't imagine the technical difficulty of writing in a child's voice, but you mastered it. Once again, I'm your fan girl, and I'm here for this. Already won in my book. 👏

Reply

Zack Powell
13:24 Jan 07, 2023

A big thank you for the kindness, Wally! I'm very 'great full' for it. 😂 The technical difficulty was an absolute doozy - so many micro-decisions of which words to misspell and which nouns to mispluralize. But it was really fun to write something so different, and I'm glad it came across as "mastered" (which was not the case in my mind at all, LOL). Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.