145 comments

Contemporary Sad Drama

TW: attempted suicide, death

I gasped for air, as I burst from the surface. 

 

My lungs screamed for breath, and I panted desperately. 

 

The sun’s light blinded me, as I flailed in the water, searching for the shore. I swam, my heart pounding. 

 

When I reached the shore, my hands grabbed at the sand, coming back with fistfuls of it. I sighed and lay there on the beach for a while. I’d tried to drown myself. Again. I screamed loudly, wanting somebody, anybody to hear me. I wasn’t crazy. I wasn’t psychologically damaged. I just had nothing to live for.

 

 I closed my eyes, and wept, my tears mixing with the sand and salty water streaked across my face. I thought of everything I’d lost in the past year. 

 

Mom. Richie. Elle. Marcus. All gone. 

 

Mom had gotten sick last year, my brother Richie...God knows where he is. My closest friend, Elle, murdered, and Marcus, my Marcus. Runoff with some blonde-haired woman. 

 

I’d come to this beach every day, after all that had happened and attempted to drown myself in the constant battle the waves waged for dominance of the ocean. 

 

But I couldn’t. 

 

After I immersed myself in the water, I stopped moving my arms and legs, closing my eyes, allowing myself to go deeper, and deeper. 

 

Yet every time, something seemed to stop me.

 

 A soft cry from someone unknown.

 

 After the voice echoed in my ears, my eyes flew open, and my limbs thrashed around frantically. I pushed myself up, up, up, utter terror crowding every corner of my mind. I just couldn’t do it. The voice stopped me every time, just before I went too far. 

 

I didn’t know where the noise came from, just that it had saved me from death countless times. 

 

I stayed, splayed out on the beach until the sun rose. 

 

Finally, I urged myself up. Just as I reached my car, I could hear my phone ringing. It was Maya. I mumbled a few practice “hello”s to make sure I sounded calm and collected. Maya didn’t know about any of this. 

 

“Hi,” I said into the phone in a chipper voice. “Hi,” Maya replied. “I wanted to check if you’re still coming to the restaurant today?” I squeezed my eyes shut. Shoot. 

 

“Yeah, yeah,” I said. “I’ll be there.” I quickly hung up. Maya had enough pressure on her without me. 

 

I started up the old red truck. The engine coughed at me in protest, but I persisted. The truck rolled along the bumpy road. The cracks hadn’t been filled since I was a little girl. 

 

Finally, I made it to Nina’s. I rapidly changed in the car, throwing my wet clothes in the backseat. 

 

Nina Davis, the owner of the restaurant greeted me at the entrance. 

 

“Hi baby,” she said, hugging me tightly. “It’s so good to see you.” She glanced at my damp hair. “You’ve been swimming?” I nodded. No one knew what was going on with me. 

 

Nina was slim, her gray-streaked hair in a fancy updo. She wore a floral patterned blouse and jeans. Nina had been a close friend of my Mom’s. After my father left when I was a young girl, Nina helped my mother, giving her a job as a waitress at the restaurant, and looking after Maya, Richie, and me. 

 

“Is Maya here,” I asked, as Nina led me to a table. “No,” she responded. “But she asked to be seated at an outdoor table.” 

 

Nina sat me down and handed me a menu. Before I opened it, Nina stopped me. I felt the soft wrinkles that covered her hand touch mine, reminding me of her years of wisdom. 

 

“Don’t do it,” she said softly. I stared at her startled. “Don’t,” she said, shaking her head. “I-” I choked out. “I don’t understand-” Nina clasped my hand tightly. “Please.” She hurried away. I stared after her. 

A few minutes later, Maya arrived. She waved at me, and I returned the gesture. My sister wore an ethereal-looking white dress with cap sleeves, her beautiful dark brown locks flying in the wind. She hugged her pregnant belly, walking over to me slowly. I hugged her. 

 

“I’ve missed you,” she murmured. I held back my tears. I didn’t want to cause her any stress. 

 

Last year, when Maya had found out she was expecting, she was thrilled. Her husband, Benjamin had been delighted as well. At least that’s what he wrote in his letters. Ben served in the navy. Well, he had served in the navy. 

 

A few weeks before he was supposed to come home, a bomb struck his barracks. Maya and I had seen it on the news. I remember seeing her body go still, her eyes glaze over, her whole world stop. Then she wailed. Quiet at first, but then a scream. I couldn’t do anything but hold her, and cry softly myself. 

 

Maya and Ben had been together since high school, and we’d known Ben since we were kids. He’d come and repair stuff around the neighborhood for small fees. He would fix our pipes, our cars, almost anything. He was a close friend of ours, and when he married Maya, he became even dearer to us. 

 

After the news broadcast, Maya wrote to people, trying to find out if her husband was still alive. He wasn’t. There were no bodies either. Maya didn’t have me over after that. The love of her life was gone. And if there is no love in your life, how can you go on? But she did. 

 

Not for herself, but for the baby. The living being inside of her. 

 

This was the first time I’d seen Maya outside of her house since Ben’s death. She looked healthy, happy even, but her eyes gave her away. They were still distant. As if she wasn’t really there. 

 

“How have things been,” she asked me. “Anything interesting?” I swallowed. I didn’t want to give anything away. 

 

“I’ve been swimming,” I said remembering what Nina had said about my wet hair. “What about you,” I asked quickly, not wanting to be the subject any longer. 

 

“Not much,” my sister said. “Resting mainly. The little one is due soon.” I nodded. “Yeah.” It felt strange talking to my sister after all this time. After all that had happened. 

 

Truthfully, she was all I had left. And I was all she had left. 

 

“Maya!” Nina cried, rushing out of the indoor section of the restaurant. Nina threw her arms around my sister and Maya hugged her back. “Hey, Nina. How’s the restaurant?” Nina shrugged. “ ‘Bout as good as can be when your working with these new teenage waiters. Always on those new-age devices.” She glanced over at a brunette, who was scrolling on her phone. “Hey!” Nina yelled. “That’s a pay cut and a dishwashing session!” The girl, looking terrified, darted away. 

 

Nina turned back to us muttering in annoyance. “Anyway baby,” she said to Maya. “How is everything?” Maya’s demeanor shifted. “Not easy,” she said, her voice wavering. “Money’s been scarce since-” a tear rolled down her face. Nina rubbed Maya’s back in circles. “I’m sorry baby. I’m so sorry.” 

Maya wiped her tears and shook her head. “Nevermind.” 

 

She turned to me and smiled. “We came here to eat lunch right?” Maya picked up the menu, scanning it. Nina and I shared a look before she went to assist Maya.

 

 Maya was seven when our father left. I was only four, and Richie was an infant. 

 

I don’t remember much about our father. Just his rough flannel shirts, the smell of the tobacco he chewed and sitting on his lap on the veranda. I know Maya did though. His leaving affected her the most. 

 

Mom struggled for a while, but with Nina’s help, she was able to get a job and find her way. For Maya, it took longer. 

 

She tried to forget him. She threw out all the things he’d ever given her, she stopped thinking about him, and she never spoke about him to anyone. His absence left a gap in her heart. A gap that Ben had filled. Now that he too was gone, I could understand my sister’s pain.

 

 We walked away from Nina’s after we finished up, heading to the pier. 

 

The waves lapped at the wooden beams, and a bird screeched. I couldn’t help but be a little nervous. I’d come so close to dying in these waters. 

 

Maya was silent. She stared out at the ocean thoughtfully, her expression unreadable. I didn’t say anything, not wanting to interrupt. Finally, she spoke. “I want you to be the guardian.” “What?” I asked. Maya turned to me. “I want you to be my child’s guardian.” My eyes widened. “Sorry?” Maya looked away again. “You’re my only family. Mom, Richie...Ben.” The last name made her voice crack. “They’re all gone. You’re all I’ve got, and that means…” she put a hand on her stomach. “You’re all this little one has too.” 

 

“What are you talking about?” I said. “They have you-” Maya locked eyes with me. 

 

“Promise me,” she said. “Promise me that if something happens to me, you’ll look after my child.”

 

 I nodded slowly, not wanting her to get any more anxious. 

 

“I promise,” I said gently. “I promise.” 

 

Maya’s body relaxed, and she returned her gaze to the sea. 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

My eyes hazily opened, to the sound of my phone’s ringtone. 

 

My alarm clock read 12:17 AM. It wasn’t time for my usual trip to the ocean. 

 

I clumsily reached for my phone, banging my knuckles on my dresser as I did. I didn’t recognize the number. 

 

“Hello?” I mumbled. “Hello,” an automated-sounding voice said. “This is Saint Veronica’s Hospital.” 

 

Saint Veronica’s. The local hospital. 

 

“Yes?” I asked, a little worried. 

 

“I’m calling to report the severe medical condition of someone you may know. This was the number given to us.” 

 

The next words they said made me drop my phone, and race out the door. 

 

I forced down hard on the gas pedal to start up the truck, and I sped along the roads, not caring how fast I was going. 

 

When the hospital came into sight, my heart beat even faster. I only hoped I was in time. 

 

I pulled into the parking lot, and flung open the car door, darting into the hospital. The woman at the front desk said something to me, but I didn’t listen. Nurses and doctors yelled at me to stop but I kept moving. I stopped at an elevator, and pressed a button, rocking anxiously on my heels. It took too long. 

 

I hurried to the stairs, and rushed up the steps, my sneakers squeaking on the floor. 

 

Room 216 the woman on the phone had said. 

 

Another nurse grabbed my arm, trying to stop me but I wrangled out of her grasp. 

 

I burst into Room 216. My heart pounded, and I panted. I felt lightheaded. 

 

Someone stood next to the hospital bed sobbing. It was Nina. She turned to me, and her eyes welled up again. She let out a loud moan. 

 

I approached the bed. My sister lay there, her hair neatly arranged, her hands folded across her stomach a small smile on her face, her eyes shut. 

 

I turned to Nina, trembling, hoping that what I saw wasn’t true. 

 

She shook her head and covered her face with her hands, crying. I looked back at Maya and felt the tears roll down my cheeks, first lightly, but then a cascade. We grieved by her bedside until a nurse came to escort us out. 

 

Nina and I sat in the lobby, holding each other close, and weeping. At last, we stopped, fatigued. 

 

“The child,” Nina said quietly. 

 

I looked up at her. “What?”

 

 “The child lives,” Nina said. “Nina-” I began. She must have been in shock. 

“He does,” Nina said. She waved a nurse over and asked her to tell me. 

 

“Yes,” the nurse said. “He is in the newborn section. He’ll be able to go home with his guardian soon.” She walked away.

 

 Nina touched my shoulder. “It was the last thing she did.”

 

 I turned to her. “She called me the moment she went into labor,” Nina said softly. “Told me to bring her the documents. She made you the boy’s legal guardian just before she died.” 

 

I shook my head. “Nina, I-I can’t-” Nina looked me in the eye fiercely. “I know what you’ve been doing at the beach.” There was no point trying to hide it. Nina knew. A tear fell down her face. 

 

A few hours later, the nurse said that Maya’s baby was in stable condition. I nodded. “He can stay here for the next few days if necessary ma’am,” she said, but I shook my head. She came back with the baby, wrapped up in a blue blanket. I took him in my arms and walked to the car. The hospital provided me with a baby carrier.

 

 This time, I drove slowly. I didn’t look at the child, as he slept soundly. His face reminded me too much of all that I’d lost.

 

 I drove past my house. I drove past Nina’s. I drove past my childhood home. I needed to go to the beach. I knew what I had to do. 

 

I stopped the car in the sand, and got out, taking the child with me. I turned to the left, where the jagged rock formation was. A diving hotspot for children. For me, the place I’d tried to kill myself a hundred times. 

 

I pulled myself up the rocks, my legs slipping against their wet surface. The baby stirred in my arms.

 

 I made my way to the top of the structure, and I stood there, my hair blown back by the ocean breeze. 

 

I breathed in deeply, the air tasting of salt. 

 

I approached the edge of the large stone, the currents murmuring softly below me. The tips of my toes dangled off of the rock. I prepared myself, ready to plunge into the water. And that’s when I heard the cry. 

 

The voice that had stopped me from drowning every time. 

 

I looked at the baby, and he gazed back at me. 

 

Then, he cried again. 

 

And again. 

 

I stepped back from the rock and sat down, cradling him in my arms. A tear rolled down my cheek.

 

 I looked up at the stars glimmering above me. I had nothing to live for. But now, I had someone to die for.

 

February 27, 2021 19:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

145 comments

Keya M.
17:40 Mar 22, 2021

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your kind words, feedback, and comments on my story. You have no idea how much this means to me. Reading everything you've written about me, and my work has really touched me. Y'all are...y'all are so sweet! I can't even believe this! I love you guys!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avani G
18:25 Mar 04, 2021

I'm going to give my thoughts and edits in no particular order. You've been warned ;) “How have things been,” she asked me. “Anything interesting?” I swallowed. I didn’t want to give anything away. --> “How have things been?” she asked me. “Anything interesting?” I swallowed. I didn’t want to give anything away. “Don’t do it,” she said softly. I stared at her startled. “Don’t,” she said, shaking her head. “I-” I choked out. “I don’t understand-” Nina clasped my hand tightly. “Please.” She hurried away. I stared after her. Change it to: ...

Reply

Keya M.
19:05 Mar 04, 2021

Thank you so much Avani, this is extremely helpful!

Reply

Avani G
19:15 Mar 04, 2021

No problem, Keya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:26 Mar 19, 2021

Oh my god, this story is gorgeous and sad and poetic and happy...AMAZINGGGG! You conveyed the emotions flawlessly through your imagery and choppy paragraphs. The end is such a sweet, genius line, and I’m happy this ended on a, well, happy note. I love how she decides not to kill herself because of the baby. All in all, a beautifully described story <3

Reply

Keya M.
23:59 Mar 19, 2021

Thank you very much Aerin, I appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
16:20 Mar 22, 2021

Hey Keya! Wow! This was so amazing! I love the imagery and wood wordbuilding you've used in this story! I also really like how you made her continue living instead of giving up. The last line is so powerful it makes me want to read it twice and more! This story was heartbreaking and really moving! I can't wait to read what you write next!! Keep it up! :))

Reply

Keya M.
16:25 Mar 22, 2021

Thanks, Akshaya! I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:03 Mar 20, 2021

I don't know how this didnt get a shortlist.

Reply

Keya M.
22:28 Mar 20, 2021

Aww, Sia, thank you! That’s so sweet. ❤️

Reply

Sia S
05:51 Mar 21, 2021

Of course :))

Reply

Keya M.
14:34 Mar 21, 2021

💖 ur comment made my day 😊

Reply

Sia S
15:03 Mar 21, 2021

Happy to know that :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:20 Mar 16, 2021

This is amazing! Funny thing is I used to have a best friend named Elle! ok now for the feedback! 1. The sun’s light blinded me, as I flailed in the water, searching for the shore. Change this to: The sunlight blinded me as I flailed in the water, searching for the shore. 2. The next words they said made me drop my phone, and race out the door. Change this to: Their next words made me drop my phone and race out the front door. 3. I looked up at the stars glimmering above me. I had nothing to live for. But now, I had someone to die f...

Reply

Keya M.
21:46 Mar 16, 2021

Thank you for your feedback Suhani! You're so kind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
21:54 Mar 14, 2021

Wow!! This is AMAZING and really great for a second submission!! Thank you for the trigger warning, its always good to be considerate!! I love your style and the way you followed the prompt was great!

Reply

Keya M.
23:40 Mar 14, 2021

Thanks so much, Izzie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
07:54 Mar 09, 2021

Hi Keya, this was pretty dramatic, and tragic considering the attempted suicide. Critiques! "I’d come to this beach every day, after all that had happened and attempted to drown myself in the constant battle the waves waged for dominance of the ocean." A comma after "all", and one before "and." "Finally, I urged myself up. Just as I reached my car, I could hear my phone ringing. It was Maya. I mumbled a few practice “hello”s to make sure I sounded calm and collected. Maya didn’t know about any of this. " I didn't quite get this line. Pe...

Reply

Keya M.
13:50 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you so much Niveeidha! This is so helpful.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:33 Mar 10, 2021

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:29 Mar 20, 2021

:O Wow Keya, this was marvellous! The emotion was shown VERY effectively throughout the story, great job! Your word choices were really good too :) Also, I'm sorry for reading this so late, I've been a bit busy. A few critiques: Instead of making two rows of space in between lines, you could maybe put one so it looks not so stretched out :) In some places, you put a comma instead of a question mark (I think it was two places) Here is one: "“Is Maya here,” I asked, as Nina led me to a table. " In two places you forgot to make another s...

Reply

Keya M.
00:48 Mar 21, 2021

Thank you for your critiques Amethyst, they are much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my story, and for your kind words 💖

Reply

00:49 Mar 21, 2021

No problem! It was very well written and a pleasure to read :)

Reply

Keya M.
00:52 Mar 21, 2021

I’m so happy you enjoyed it! You have some incredible work yourself (my personal favorite is Haunted Birthdays 😉). It’s an honor to have you read my work. Really.

Reply

00:54 Mar 21, 2021

:D Aww, thank you! yeah, that one is one of my favourite too :) :O such high praise XD thank you! How are you??

Reply

Keya M.
01:02 Mar 21, 2021

I’m doing fine, thanks for asking. Just getting through life in sweatpants and oversized t-shirts (I’ve used that phrase so much recently 😅). Writing has been keeping me happy, along with music and dance. What about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
22:31 Mar 14, 2021

Oh. My. Word. This was so powerful and emotional, definitely my type of story. I loved how the baby was what stopped her from killing herself. This was so well written, I don't even know what to say! Amazing work!

Reply

Keya M.
23:40 Mar 14, 2021

Thank you so much Bucky, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shiza Ali
10:35 Mar 14, 2021

The imagery *hats off* The storyline *smitten* This is a MASTERPIECE! 👏👏👏

Reply

Keya M.
13:01 Mar 14, 2021

Thank you so much Shiza!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Omani Saleem
19:43 Mar 13, 2021

wow! your story had me hooked to the very last sentence, it was intense and i would love to know what happens next, i really hope she finds the courage she needs.

Reply

Keya M.
22:53 Mar 13, 2021

Thank you, Omani! I hadn't thought about a sequel, but now that you mention it, I'm considering it for sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
23:59 Mar 12, 2021

Great but overwhelming story. It was amazing to read and hooked me till the last moment. Well done Also, I read your bio and I'm a Virgo as well. I haven't met many Virgos on this website (actually you are the first one). Could you please read my story and share your feedback on it. Thanks :)) Have a good day Keya :))

Reply

Keya M.
01:01 Mar 13, 2021

Virgo sister! I'd love to read your story and will do so ASAP. Thank you for your kind words as well, much appreciated! Lots of love, K

Reply

Palak Shah
13:35 Mar 13, 2021

Thank you so much :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jelia Howard
21:20 Mar 10, 2021

this was so beautifully written that i had to take a few second break two or three times. the imagery is so well written that i felt like i was a bystander. i know what it’s like putting yourself up for a project and when you finally finish it’s this humongous wave of relief (even if it wasn’t stressful and you were just having fun, it still happens) that overtakes you and you get so caught up in that feeling, you just go ahead and put out there. there’s nothing wrong with it, but everyone — including myself — should take a sec to go back ov...

Reply

Keya M.
04:15 Mar 11, 2021

Wow, thank you so much Jelia! That is so sweet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:50 Mar 25, 2021

hi. can you do me a favor? as you are literally one of the nicest people on here, do ya think you can help aerin (who if you don't follow her if on my following page)? she has lost 27000 points and has went from 1st on the leader to way way down. thank youu.

Reply

Keya M.
12:03 Mar 25, 2021

Hi! Aww, I appreciate you calling me that. Yes, Aerin is a good friend of mine and I'm upvoting her currently. I'm disgusted by the way the downvoters have targeted her. It's awful. I hope we can help her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
05:05 Mar 25, 2021

Hi Keya!! How are you?

Reply

Keya M.
12:01 Mar 25, 2021

Hey Akshaya! I'm good! It's very rainy where I live. How is the weather in India?

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:00 Mar 25, 2021

Nice!! As a matter of fact, I think it's gonna rain here today (which is really really bad because there are only thunderstorms where I am currently, in Kerala, and the electricity goes off for hours. The power generator has to last, and I have a test I can't miss tomorrow😖🤣) It's also really hot (start of summer) and afternoon temperatures soar to 100 degrees fahrenheit I think.

Reply

Keya M.
13:06 Mar 25, 2021

If a thunderstorm happens at my house, my dog FREAKS out. She's terrified of thunder and lightning. Even the wind when it's loud. Yeah, I lost power once when I had a big test. It turned out okay but I was a mess lol! Wow, that's hot! I love summer so much, it's my fav season. I hope it comes soon!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:14 Mar 25, 2021

You have a dog? That's so awesome! I wish I had one! That usually doesn't happen if I'm in the city, but right now I'm in a smack town so things get... wacky. I've been here since October, lol. Me too, it's my fav as well!! Do you like ice creams? I haven't had one since covid started. Summer there starts in June, right?

Reply

Keya M.
13:29 Mar 25, 2021

I have two dogs! A German Shepherd (the one terrified of the wind lol) named Rani, and a Bichon Frise named Lucky Beluga La Fluff Fluff Dapper Dan DeGascoigne. Yes, summer rules! Ice cream is the best! Even in winter, with snow everywhere I'm eating ice cream. What's your favorite food to eat? Yeah, summer starts on June 20th.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
15:20 Mar 24, 2021

Hello!! Will you help us get rid of downvoting? Click here to sign our petition!! :) http://chng.it/Y8pTpNJG

Reply

Keya M.
15:21 Mar 24, 2021

I just did! I'm happy to be a part of this. I hope it works. Fingers crossed. 🤞

Reply

Felicity Anne
15:22 Mar 24, 2021

Thank you so much Keya!!!!

Reply

Keya M.
15:23 Mar 24, 2021

Of course! Downvoting needs to stop!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
13:30 Aug 22, 2021

Oh my god! This is so heartbreaking. I-I don't have words. It's the saddest story I've ever read but your writing was appreciable. Great work Keya, the way you portrayed each and every detail was just perfect. I'll be honest. I was a bit excited when I saw your name unless it is your pen name. Mainly because people tell me my name is unique and as such I haven't met anyone with this name so I was pretty exhilarated. But your story was amazing.

Reply

Keya M.
19:06 Aug 22, 2021

Wow, thank you so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed this story! Also, my name is actually Keya, and you're the first person I know who has the same name as me! Thanks once more for your kind comment, hope to hear from you again.

Reply

Keya J.
03:02 Aug 23, 2021

💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
05:19 May 16, 2021

This is so good!! :)

Reply

Keya M.
15:26 May 16, 2021

Thanks, Arwen! Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
07:47 May 06, 2021

New story out. Would love your feedback.

Reply

Keya M.
12:11 May 06, 2021

Cool, I'll check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.