Contest #196 winner 🏆

210 comments

Crime Drama American

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

I

I shot papa square in the heart but he didn’t die. That damn bible he carried with him saved his life. I was considerable lucky that papa had his axe at hand, and that he kept it sharp. I picked it up. It was a heavy thing, so I swung with all my might and put it right through his head. Seein’ his brains made me throw up. I moved away so it wouldn’t get on papa. That would be disrespectful.

Papa was a big man. I couldn’t bury him like that, so I started choppin’ off his arms and legs with the axe. I was down to the right leg when Sheriff Culverson showed up. Wouldn’t you know it, he came to arrest papa for stealin’ a couple of old lady Renner’s chickens. Papa didn’t have to worry about that now. Hell, he didn’t have to worry about the drought or where his next bottle’d come from, either. I reckon I did him a favor, savin’ him from all that worry.

Sheriff Culverson looked at me and looked at papa. I done threw up again, so the smell was somethin’ turrible in the vicinity. I looked at the sheriff. He was a shakin’ his head and had a sad look on his face. I reckon he didn’t want to take a nineteen-year-old girl to jail. ‘specially me, seein’ as how I was his daughter’s best friend. Maybe he’ll let Cassie visit me in jail.

The jailhouse only had the one cell. That door a clankin’ behind me sounded like what mama would call omnus. I kinda know what that means by the words around it. Corntex, I think they call it. I would know a lot more if papa would’ve let me go to school. He said girls don’t need school. They need to learn how to cook and to clean and to please their man. I’m damn good at cookin’ and cleanin’, but I don’t think I know how to please a man. Papa was a man and he was never pleased.

Oh Lord! Here comes the sheriff and another man. I seen him around. Mr. King. He’s always all duded up and talkin’ fancy and smilin’ and a swingin’ his walkin’ stick around. I sure would like to catch me a man like that. I bet he don’t beat his women. Not much, anyway.

He ain’t smilin’ now. I reckon I’m in a heap of trouble. Welp, papa won’t be slappin’ the tar outta me for my sins this time.

**************

Both men sat across the table from Esther. The sheriff had placed the gun that Esther had shot her dad with, next to the bible that had thwarted Esther’s original plan. The metal gleamed in the harsh light of the room, sitting as silently as the three occupants. The ceiling fan squeaked quietly, not doing a very good job of cooling off the room. The open window allowed the sunlight to stream through, and a soft breeze brought a little relief from the heat, along with the scent of jasmine and dust. The harsh, unforgiving angles that the sun cast in the room matched Esther’s mood.

Esther reached for the wounded bible. She wanted to feel the torn cover and open it up to inspect the damage. The sheriff pulled it towards him and opened it up before sliding it to Esther. The soft sigh of the bible moving across the table sounded like the whisper of broken dreams.

“Notice anything?” The sheriff leaned back and watched Esther closely.

Esther inspected the bible. The bullet had torn through a significant portion of the Old Testament. It had stopped at the Book of Esther.

“Yessir. Esther stopped the bullet, I reckon.”

Mr. King smiled, though he didn’t want to. The sheriff nodded his head and leaned forward.

“Don’t you find that a little odd?”

Esther shook her head.

“That’s your name, young lady,” Mr. King spoke. His rich, resonant voice filled the room. Dust motes danced and the breeze quickened.

“Yessir.”

The men looked at each other impassively, but both were thinking the same thing. The girl was thickheaded.

Mr. King pointed to Esther’s face.

“Your dad do that?”

Her black eye and a swollen nose did all the testifying for her.

“Yessir. Told me I shoulda caught a man by now, and he warn’t gonna feed no old maid much longer.”

“He been drinkin’?” Sheriff Culverson leaned back, crossing his arms. He already knew the answer.

“Yessir. Mama always says that papa only drinks on days endin’ with a ‘y.’ I reckon that’s true.” Esther played with her hair, twirling it between two fingers. She looked away from the men and gazed outside, lost in her own thoughts.

“So you decided to shoot ‘im.”

“Yessir.”

“But the bible stopped the bullet.”

“Yessir.”

Mr. Kind leaned forward and stared at Esther, causing her to blush.

“That was when you decided to take the axe to his head?”

Esther stopped playing with her hair and sat still for a moment before answering.

“I suppose so. Papa woulda kilt me if I didn’t kill him.”

“You feared for your life?” Mr. King continued to stare intently at Esther.

“Yessir.”

Mr. King abruptly stood up and shook the sheriff’s hand.

“I have all I need.”

He left quickly, so quickly that it startled Esther. She looked at the retreating back and worried that she had offended such a gentleman.

“Am I gonna get the Chair?”

The sheriff stood slowly, as if it hurt him to do so. He closed his eyes for a moment before answering. His voice, when he spoke, was softer than Esther had ever heard it.

“No. You’ll get twenty-five years in the women’s prison in San Antone. Minimum.”

Esther started counting on her fingers.

“You’ll be about forty-four, Esther.”

“Damn. I reckon I’ll be too old to catch a man by that time.”

The sheriff felt his chest tighten just a little at those words.

“And mama? How old’ll she be?”

“How old is she now?”

Esther paused, deep in thought.

“Says she was born in 1901.”

“Then she’ll be about sixty.”

Esther nodded, standing, and smoothing out her skirt.

“Reckon she’ll take me back when I get out?”

The sheriff scratched his forehead and looked at the floor.

“I don’t know, honey. I just don’t know.”

**************

II

They’re calling us heroes. The newspapers, that is. I suppose we are, but I don’t know that I feel heroic. I do, however, feel a difference in me now that papa’s dead. Liberation would be the word. Papa would have hit me if I had ever used that word in front of him.

Papa had been drinking, of course. And smacking mama around. Cassie and I were hiding out in my room, wondering when it would all stop. At one point, I heard mama scream. That’s when I went out to investigate.

Papa was pointing a gun at mama. I didn’t even think about what to do. I just did it. I stepped in front of mama just as papa shot. The bullet hit my bible. Yes, I carried a bible with me, right over my heart, but only when I was wearing overalls. It was fortunate that I was wearing them at this point.

I staggered backward and fell. The impact of the bullet stunned me. Mama fell as well, trying to hold me up. That’s when Cassie came charging out of the room and started to wrestle with papa, trying to get the gun out of his hand. We heard another shot. Papa took a bullet to the gut. He died two hours later, in a lot of pain.

Cassie stood and fairly sprinted out of the house. She came back a few minutes later with her dad. The sheriff. The look on his face was one that will not soon leave me. Pinched and drawn, with worry written clearly in the eyes.

Mama should have never been home. She was supposed to go to San Antonio to see her sister, but papa beat her so bad the night before that she refused to go. I believe that papa beat her so severely so she wouldn’t go. He was like that.

Cassie shouldn’t have been there either. Her father told her never to go to my house when my papa was around, but Cassie often defied her father. Her father was so relieved that Cassie wasn’t injured or killed that he never punished her. On the contrary, he hugged her tightly and kissed her on the cheek. I had never seen him do that before!

I’m supposed to write a story for the newspapers. The one in San Antonio wants to give me – and Cassie – fifty dollars each for our story. An astounding sum. Some rich people in San Antonio also want to give us full scholarships for college. Imagine! Going to college! It’s in Denton, but that’s even better. Cassie and I can get away from the blight of the Hill Country and experience a different kind of life.

A different kind of life. I’m filled with a substantial happiness, and I wonder when it will leave. Never, I hope.

The real hero is mama, and I’ll make sure the newspapers know that. All those years of insisting that I go to school, even when papa beat her for her sass. He called it that, anyway. It was grit and toughness and love. I’ll call it the stuff that heroism is made of. That has a nice ring to it. And it’s the truth.

**************

All three steps to the elevated porch squeaked under Mr. King’s tread, though the man was not heavy. Like the rest of the porch area, they needed paint; rusted nail heads poked out of the wood, loosened by years of neglect and Hill Country weather. The evening was soon to turn into dusk.

“Just spoke to the judge. Cassie ain’t to be charged. He said she did us all a favor by shootin’ that man.”

Sheriff Culverson didn’t show it, but a wave of relief flooded his body. He relaxed a little and felt his breath coming easier. Mr. King sat down and lit a cigar, offering one to the sheriff. Both men took some time to light their cigars, ensuring that they had a proper draw. This was not a task but a ritual, and it was not to be taken lightly.

The sheriff went inside his house and returned in a few moments, bearing a bottle of whiskey and two small tumblers. Each man filled their glass to the amount desired and sipped. Mr. King grimaced at the first sip, then took a second, larger sip.

“I reckon she did us all a favor, sure, but it was an accident. I’m damn happy the judge was of the same mind,” the sheriff said. He took another sip of whiskey and sat his glass down, concentrating on puffing his cigar and enjoying the news.

“You know, I’m surprised one of those women hadn’t killed the man before. He sure liked to beat his women,” Mr. King said.

“The mama,” the sheriff said. Mr. King turned his head slightly.

“Pardon?”

“The mama. She made that girl, Esther, get an education. I hear she took a beatin’ or two for her daughter. Damn fine woman, in my opinion.”

Mr. King nodded and smiled. He had already heard the news.

“You went to visit the widow, I hear.”

The sheriff glanced at Mr. King and then quickly glanced away.

“Offer my condolences, in an official capacity.”

The sun had disappeared behind the horizon, bestowing faint light and beautiful colors to the sky. Fireflies came out of hiding, their pinpricks of light giving the large front lawn a magical appearance. As if fairies were in attendance. As if a miracle had been bestowed.

“You were there for two hours, sheriff. That’s a lot of…uh…condoling.”

The sheriff turned and stared at Mr. King, his steely blue eyes narrowing a little. Mr. King laughed and hastened to explain.

“The old biddies in town. You know what they’re like. Most of ‘em had you and the widow makin’ a baby during your visit.”

“Vicious old cats,” the sheriff spat out the words.

“Makes sense, though. You and the widow. Esther and Cassie are best friends. They’d be tickled pink to become sisters, so to speak. And the widow’s a fine, strong woman.”

“You done have us at the altar.”

Mr. King tamped the ashes from his cigar onto the porch and scuffed them with his boots. He poured himself more whiskey and watched the fireflies perform their chaotic, beautiful dance.

“Your wife’s been gone for twelve years. I reckon you grieved enough, sheriff. I figure the widow’s grievin’ was nonexistent. Can’t really miss a man that beats you, can you?”

The sheriff poured himself another three fingers of whiskey and stood at the railing beside Mr. King. He sighed and turned to Mr. King, handing him a dollar bill.

“I’m hirin’ you for a two-minute consultation, Mr. King.”

Mr. King looked at the bill and put it in his breast pocket.

“What’s on your mind, sheriff?”

The sheriff paused for a moment, trying to get the words out of his mouth.

“I heard Esther ‘n Cassie talkin’ one day last year, just before Christmas. Esther was tellin’ her that she wanted to shoot her daddy dead so he’d stop beatin’ her mama. Well, that froze me.”

Mr. King looked at the sheriff, a thoughtful expression creasing his face and pursing his lips.

“I figure she would have done it one day, sheriff. I guess Cassie took care of that, though.”

The sheriff sighed.

“I reckon.”

“So, why the dollar?”

“We got attorney-client confidentiality now, right?”

Mr. King laughed, nodding his head.

“Yes. Very clever, sheriff. But I wasn’t gonna divulge that little piece of information anyway.”

“I expect a receipt when you get to the office tomorrah.”

“Yes. Of course. Come by after work, sheriff, and I’ll buy us a couple of beers. I seem to have an extra dollar in my pocket.”

The night darkened and the breeze stilled; even the fireflies slowed down. Soon, they were gone, letting the darkness of the night have its way. Both men remained silent. Cigar smoke curled and drifted upwards past the porch lights, disappearing into the blackness.

Mr. King left after finishing his whiskey.

“See you tomorrow, sheriff. And I’ll expect a wedding invitation.”

“I want that receipt, young man.”

The rest of the night passed as it should have. Frogs croaked lazily, crickets chirped, and lights winked out one by one across the countryside. Two young ladies were dreaming of adventures at college, one sheriff was thinking of matrimony, and one widow was contemplating the mysteries of fate and providence.

The bible with a bullet hole in it was, in due time, returned to its rightful owner. The whereabouts of the mangled word of God is currently unknown.


May 05, 2023 19:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

210 comments

Murray Burns
13:03 May 13, 2023

Congratulations! Well deserved.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
13:18 May 13, 2023

Thank you very much, Murray. Coming from you, that means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
09:17 May 13, 2023

Intriguing story, very clever the way you weaved Esther's bullet and the book of Esther that stopped the bullet. Excellent read, and congrats, Delbert!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:39 May 13, 2023

Thank you very much, John. I appreciate the praise and the kind words. Fun fact: the Book of Esther doesn't mention God. Not once. Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

John Siddham
23:57 May 13, 2023

Yes, that is an interesting fact. You've incorporated it so well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
01:35 May 13, 2023

Delbert! OMG, congrats on the win!! I knew I would see you in the newsletter one of these days. I'll just dive into this with some lines I liked: - "That damn bible he carried with him saved his life." - The theme of religion is always so interesting to me in literature, especially when bad people use it to justify evil deeds. This reminded me of the book Purple Hibiscus, where the father is abusive yet devoutly Christian. - "The soft sigh of the bible moving across the table sounded like the whisper of broken dreams." - SO GOOD! In the fi...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:07 May 13, 2023

Thank you very much, Sophia. I really appreciate the praise for my little tale, and the kudos for the win. Yes, the religious theme was hard to miss. LOL The Bible saving both Esther and her dad (albeit temporarily) was meant to convey the message that everyone can be saved, even bad people like Esther's dad. Fun fact: the Book of Esther never mentions God. Because of this, I chose Esther to be the place the bullet stopped because, for the most part, God was absent in Esther's first life. Her dad played God. Education was also a theme. Edu...

Reply

Fernando César
23:38 Aug 13, 2023

Hi. I read several of your comments highlighting the themes, the messages (anyone can be saved, for instance). Did you plan all these details? Congratulations on the win

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:43 Aug 14, 2023

Believe it or not - yes. It was a difficult tale to write, but I just "saw" it all before I started writing. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:49 May 06, 2023

Ah, the Good Book! A lifesaver! Very impressive! If I had a say this would win okay. Yay! It did win! Well deserved!!!!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:10 May 06, 2023

Wow, thanks so much for the high praise, Mary. I really appreciate this - a lot! Yes, the Good Book is supposed to be a saver of souls, yes? The point, of course, and you nailed it. Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
16:02 Feb 02, 2024

I woke up this Friday morning wanting to read The Bullet that Esther stopped. Not only is it one of my favorite stories that you've written, but it is one of my favorite stories period. I wanted to be bathed in the rich storytelling and beauty of how the words wrap around each other to create the characters and atomosphere. Re-read. Still my favorite. You're a master

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:30 Feb 03, 2024

Oh, Wally, you made my month! When I start to feel like I'm not a real writer, I'll revisit this comment. What a tonic for the scribbler's soul! Thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Wally Schmidt
18:03 Feb 03, 2024

Apparently I am not the only one that was enthralled with this story. Google it. A lot of people have recorded it and I think one dude is selling it as an ebook. While that should be additional validation for you, it ticks me off that randos just come in and swipe the stories that people have worked so hard on. How to keep ahead in this age of technology is beyond me, but maybe that should be a conference topic this summer?

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:25 Feb 04, 2024

I think Reedsy shouldn't make the tales available to all, just to members that submit. I'm gonna look this up and investigate. Yes, validation, but none of us want our stories stolen, right? Thanks so much, my friend. You're terrific!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Audrey Lavley
10:10 Nov 27, 2023

i thought this story was great, definitely enjoy these types of content especially from someone who doesn't like to read you should feel proud as i enjoyed it a lot.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:34 Nov 27, 2023

Thank you very much, Audrey. I appreciate the kind words and the nice review. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ZaMiyah Anderson
21:54 Nov 21, 2023

omg i love it that i forgot i was alive i loved it

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:07 Nov 22, 2023

Thank you very much, ZaMiyah. I appreciate it. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
CHIEW HAO YU Moe
09:02 Nov 13, 2023

what a nice story

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:36 Nov 13, 2023

Thank you, my friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Latavia Graham
13:48 Oct 19, 2023

i like this story but i want to know of you can make another chapter like a chapter book if its not already out i want to see ester and cassie become sisters

Reply

Delbert Griffith
14:09 Oct 19, 2023

Sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:35 Aug 20, 2023

is esther the one that killed papa

Reply

Delbert Griffith
20:06 Aug 20, 2023

No, it was her best friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lila U
12:22 Aug 08, 2023

Words one day the world will know Over and out and undercover

Reply

Delbert Griffith
13:11 Aug 08, 2023

Cheers!

Reply

Lila U
22:44 Aug 16, 2023

When the world turns sun to right Beast befriend your friend another

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K.A Setjie
16:04 Jul 30, 2023

How many words does it have?I'm thinking of summerising it for my assignment.🙂 if that's fine with you

Reply

Delbert Griffith
18:55 Jul 30, 2023

3000 words. Sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
21:02 Jul 23, 2023

Congratulations! Love this! A victory well deserved! And, as always, thanks for taking time to read mine

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:51 Jul 23, 2023

Thank you very much, LJ. I appreciate the praise and the congrats, truly. Always happy to read good tales. You write good tales, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
10:10 Jul 09, 2023

Hadn't stopped by Reedsy in a while, so I was delighted to see you had this win Delbert! Fully deserved with this thought-provoking tale, really leaves you with something to stew on!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:01 Jul 09, 2023

Thanks so much, Edward. I appreciate the praise and the congrats. I'm quite pleased that you liked my little tale. And, yes, there are many things to think on in this story. I'm happy that you see the depth in it. Cheers, my friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raymond Xie
10:24 Jun 26, 2023

Excellent, I really like the suspense and description. The colloquial language at the start is also very suitable for the personality of Esther.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
11:13 Jun 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Raymond. I appreciate the praise. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yusif Ibrahim
10:02 Jun 09, 2023

A very interesting story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
12:25 Jun 09, 2023

Thank you very much, Yusif. I appreciate the kind words. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krissi Driver
05:09 Jun 05, 2023

Great story! I'm a collector of words, and if I was reading this on my Kindle, I would have highlighted this line: "This was not a task but a ritual, and it was not to be taken lightly." Something about it brought an extra element of warmth to the story. Congratulations on this win, Delbert!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:51 Jun 05, 2023

Thank you very much for the kind words and the congrats, Krissi. Rituals are important, and they carry a meaning far deeper than the act. I'm pleased that you liked this line, for it was an important one, and tied in with the way Esther was viewed by the sheriff and the lawyer. Again, thanks, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Rye
00:24 Jun 05, 2023

This is amazing! :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:43 Jun 05, 2023

Thank you very much, Amanda. I appreciate the kind words. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nick McLane
18:16 May 31, 2023

This is my first time reading one of your pieces but the prospect of the story intrigued me so I opted to check it out. You're a damn good writer and your dialogue and your character diction is really good too. I'll definitely be reading more. :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
19:15 May 31, 2023

Thank you very much, Nick. I appreciate the praise and the kind words. I've been working on dialogue, so I'm quite pleased that you found it to be good. Thank you again, my friend. Cheers from Texas!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:22 May 23, 2023

Good one! congrats!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
17:02 May 23, 2023

Thank you very much, Patricia. Truly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.