A Resolution to be More Honest

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write about someone trying something completely new.... view prompt

35 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

A hush fell over the Ecoburger Diner when old Smiley Rawlinson came out of the kitchen, glanced at the menu board, and then with one determined swipe of the blackboard eraser, removed the infamous “Mushroom Burger Surprise.” They would have started whispering about it if he didn’t also immediately start writing something new, and so instead the silence stretched as everyone craned their necks to see. Smiley stepped back and dusted his hands of chalk, and the patrons read what he set down.

Melinda gasped. Artie raised his burly white brows. Rosemary’s eyes widened and she hid what might have been an exasperated giggle behind a hand. And young Tony Farley, he had to read it twice, and then he dropped his half-eaten Ecoburger Classic and coughed up half a lung.

Artie clapped him on the back, an old folk cure for choking if ever there was one, and when Tony recovered his breath he wheezed for a moment and downed half his cola. But when he looked at the sign it was still the same – no trick of the imagination – and his stomach churned anew. For it still said:

Our Pattie’s Are Now 100% “Horse Meat”

“You all right, son?” said Smiley, hands crossed over his apron, chewing a toothpick as always to stave off the old cigarette impulse.

“Good lord,” said Tony. And then again, “Good lord.

“Is that right, Smiley?” said Melinda, jutting her chin towards the menu board.

Smiley glanced at the board, as though inspecting the changes someone else made. There was a determination to his nod.

“Sure is right,” he said.

“Wondering why you’d make a change like that,” Melinda said.

“Well, it’s a new year and all,” said Smiley. “Elsie passing six months back got me thinking. About life and death, that kind of stuff.”

“She was a good woman,” said Artie.

“Sure was. Best that would have me, no contest. Anyway, got me thinking maybe my time’s limited here. Maybe it was time to start living… I don’t know. More godly. And I figured, what better way than being more honest.”

“That’s the best policy,” said Rosemary, sipping her coffee. “Always was.”

“Yeah, I figured. And what better time to start, than with a new year? So there you have it. If I’m entirely honest, that mushroom burger was a disaster. I don’t think I sold more than a dozen in as many years.”

“It was certainly,” said Artie, drawing the word out, “unique.”

“Bad, Artie. You can say it. Tasted like cardboard and shredded newspapers.”

Tony watched the exchange with wide-eyes, only periodically glaring down at his plate suspiciously.

“I don’t know why,” Rosemary said. “I like mushrooms. You should have used portobellos though.”

Smiley waved his hand dismissively. “In a glorified roadside diner? Please, this isn’t a portobello town and you know it.”

“Oh, maybe it didn’t used to be, but people change, Smiley. Everything changes with time.”

“Yeah, but not these things. Heck, next you’ll be telling me people would swap their fried chicken for coq au vin.

“What-Alvin?”

“Exactly!”

“Guys!” Tony shouted. “Forget the mushrooms!” He pointed at the menu board with a trembling finger. “What about that!?

“What do you mean?” asked Smiley.

“The horse meat! What do you mean horse meat!?”

Smiley glanced at the board, then at Tony, then the board again. “Well,” he began, speaking really slowly, with impeccable enunciation and exaggerated hand gestures, “the patties are made of meat, from horsies. Neigh, clop clop, et cetera.”

Tony flushed green. When he saw Artie take a bite from his own Ecoburger Classic, chewing it happily as though he hadn’t just heard the atrocity Smiley said, Tony covered his mouth to drown a gag.

“How can you eat that, Artie!? It’s horse!”

Artie glanced at his burger, shrugged. Took another bite.

Horse!

“I’ve had weirder.”

“Weirder? What could be weirder! You accidentally open up a can of dog soup?”

Artie grinned. “Well, you know those scrambled eggs I make on Sundays?”

“Yeah?”

“And how I say they’re brain food?”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, Tony. That’s because of the pork brains scrambled with the eggs.”

Tony got up and scrambled to the bathroom.

“Hmm,” said Artie. “I thought he knew.”

“I thought everyone knew,” said Melinda.

“Young folk these days,” said Smiley, shaking his head. “They’ll talk your head off about reducing waste, but push comes to shove, let me tell you. Still, I think I’ll have to hold off a couple years before I put crickets on the menu.”

“Don’t worry about him,” said Rosemary. “Tony’ll come around.”

“Yeah, I ain’t worried.” Smiley looked at his menu board and, uncharacteristically, smiled. “It just feels good to see it up there. Like, a weight’s been lifted.”

The others all nodded and mm-hmm’d. 

“And horse meat is so much more eco-friendly than beef, too,” Smiley finished.

“Okay now,” Melinda said, setting her coffee down. “How do you figure that one? Horses aren’t exactly smaller than cows. It’s still the same energy-inefficient meat pyramid we’re sitting on, just with a different saddle.”

“Ah, but that’s just it. Cow-meat farming uses up huge resources, vast tracts of land, and produces massive waste, while horse-meat farming is comparatively a drop in the bucket.”

“But,” Melinda sputtered, “that’s because nobody farms horse meat! You can’t compare them like that! If the horse meat industry was the same scale as cow meat, it would be just as environmentally destructive.”

“True,” said Smiley. “But you’re talking numbers and science, and this is about marketing. Until horse meat becomes as popular and well developed as cow meat, I am perfectly justified in saying it’s eco-friendly.”

Melinda rolled her eyes.

“Wicked old man,” Rosemary said, with a grin.

Smiley topped up their coffees. “Oh, actually, I’ll do you one better.”

“Let’s hear it,” said Artie.

“My horse meat is organic, too.”

“Hmm,” said Melinda. “Because the horses don’t eat pesticides?”

“Because horses are carbon based life forms.”

The customers groaned and chuckled.

“And now,” Smiley continued, “we’ve added some science back into the equation, so I don’t feel so bad about the marketing. Now, I just wonder, are horses gluten free?”

Just then Tony shambled back to the counter. He pointed his finger at Smiley, then at his half-eaten burger.

“This is your restaurant, Smiley, and I respect that. Lord knows I do. But you can’t just swap to horse like it’s nothing, and leave all your loyal customers in the dust! I demand you keep the Ecoburger Classic – the actual Classic – on the menu, and unchanged! For those of us who refuse to eat horse!”

Smiley raised his brow.

“And furthermore, I demand you swap out this, this thing, for a Classic Classic right now! At no cost to me. I think my loyalty warrants that.”

Smiley looked at the others, who were just as surprised as he was. Without a word, he picked up Tony’s tray and walked back to the kitchen. A moment later, he came back out, with an almost identical tray and an almost identical burger, save for being whole.

Tony lifted the top bun and inspected the patty.

“This is an original?”

Smiley nodded.

“The way you always made them?”

“Sure is.” Smiley smiled. “The way I always made them.”

He went back to his menu board and put up a new item:

Ecoburger Original Classic: “Without” Horse Meat

Satisfied, Tony bit into his burger and savoured his victory.

January 03, 2024 22:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Marty B
05:42 Jan 04, 2024

The story proves the adage: honesty is -not- always the best policy! (BTW -I make a mean mushroom burger!) Thanks!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Jan 05, 2024

I love mushrooms myself. I worked a place once though, where we had a “veggie patty” that seemed real exciting - since it was mushroom based - but did actually taste like microwaved cardboard. Bit disappointing. Anyway, thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:16 Jan 06, 2024

Funnily enough, I live in a city where one of the most famous restaurants is a mushroom burger place...that doesn't taste like cardboard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:26 Jan 12, 2024

Sometimes its better to fudge te truth. cool story Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Jan 12, 2024

I think honesty is one of those things lots of us say we want, but it rarely turns out the way we expect :) Glad you enjoyed it, Cassie!

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:44 Jan 18, 2024

You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:57 Jan 11, 2024

I find that with your writing, I totally disappear into the story. During my various times living in the US, I feel I popped in 'Smiley's" or carbon copies many times. Great writing, as usual.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 11, 2024

Thanks, Stevie :) It's encouraging to hear that these stories can pull a reader in - I think immersion is something we all strive for. Good to know when we hit it. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
01:23 Jan 09, 2024

After reading the back and forth banter of your stories Michal, it strikes me, as one man’s opinion, you are a Larry McMurtry, who is of course famous for weaving humorous banter into period fiction (Lonesome Dove) or comedy drama like Terms of Endearment. There is a true life characterization in your stories where “characters” interact in a scene that comes alive. Well done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 09, 2024

Thanks very much, Jack! True life characterization is definitely a big aim for me, so it's great to hear when that works out. I think there's a lot of natural room for comedy in human interactions, especially when not everyone's on the same page - and really, how often are we on the same page? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
09:56 Jan 08, 2024

As a horse rider and a dog owner this got me squirming! Dog soup and horse meat patties, mind you there's plenty of dog food with horse meat in it sold here in Germany, so I have to be on my toes not to give the four- legged friend a dish I'definitely say neigh to (sorry, terrible). While I'm here, let me take the chance to say happy 2024, Michal and to put in a cheeky request (as honesty is the best policy): when are we going to be treated to a return to the Polish backstory you developed in the recipe book story...I still haven't forgotten...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Jan 08, 2024

Happy 2024 to you as well, Rebecca! Hope it's a great year :) You know, that's an excellent point you raise - we tend to classify some animals as food and others as not, but it's not universal, is it? And behind it all looms the perhaps uncomfortable realization that other things see us as food. It'll be a dark day when we learn that vegetables have thoughts, feelings, and dreams :) Regarding a follow up story - I've not given it any serious thought since. I don't like to use “I'm not inspired” as an explanation, as that's all too easy...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:46 Jan 08, 2024

No need for any commitment to this reader across the pond. I'll happily take whatever you feel to be a challenge. I've had an idea for a funny dystopian story based on a malfunctioning fashion bot for some time so might give my sad/poignant run a break ;-)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Jan 09, 2024

The premise certainly looks promising :) If you proceed with it, I look forward to reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
20:13 Jan 06, 2024

Oh, just a little gore and you could be looking at the next Quentin Tarantino project! Great read, as always!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Jan 08, 2024

Heh, I didn't even think of that angle :) Glad you enjoyed it, Myranda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:14 Jan 06, 2024

Something tells me that the quotation marks on "without" mean something. Hahahaha ! Brilliant work, as usual, Michal !

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Jan 08, 2024

Heh :) I've often seen signs with the weirdest quotes - I think some people use them for emphasis instead of an underline or something, but to me it just looks suspicious - but in this case, you might be right :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:03 Jan 09, 2024

It's like this joke I've often heard: Do not put "Congratulations on your 'marriage' on a card." Hahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:03 Jan 06, 2024

Fun story! I liked how the "ecoburger" went full circle back into being a regular hamburger with a long name. Gluten free burger with bread added. I accidentally bought smoked horse meat a few times and it was pretty good. But after i translated the label, somehow I didn't really feel like eating it anymore. and its def not eco-friendly.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 08, 2024

Yeah, I think terms like “eco friendly” get thrown around too much, since it's on a lot of people's minds and I guess easy to cash in on. Unfortunate, because real solutions might be getting buried. Of course, we might not like real solutions. One I keep hearing about is us giving up beef and eating bugs. On the other hand, having had bugs they're not bad at all. Maybe it's a familiarity issue. After all, we eat oysters but they look like something out of Lovecraft.

Reply

02:41 Jan 09, 2024

Shrimp and crabs are simply big insects that live in the ocean, so I guess the taste isn't so different? I've known a few eco-friendly people who fly around the globe a few times a year. When you think about what we need to really stop carbon emissions.., stop driving and stop flying, stop consuming, and just stay within walking distance most of the time, that would be a huge adjustment ppl don't want to think about. Putting recyclable shopping bags in the SUV is a lot easier.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
13:31 Jan 05, 2024

Aiya, that was fun.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Jan 05, 2024

Thanks, J. I.! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keelan LaForge
12:42 Jan 05, 2024

This story is really entertaining. You’re great at creating characters that I can picture in my head.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 05, 2024

Thanks, Keelan! The characters were fun to write, and I'm glad they're picturable :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:38 Jan 04, 2024

Read this right before lunch, and now I crave a burger!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 05, 2024

Heh, thanks for reading, Melissa :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
00:53 Jan 04, 2024

Haha, honesty is not always what people want to hear, especially in advertising. Tell the consumer what they want to hear, and you will sell your product. Love the humour in this one… brain food indeed!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Jan 04, 2024

Yeah, honesty and the truth are curious things - great in principle, but often so uncomfortable. Good news for fiction writers, I suppose :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:30 Jan 04, 2024

Truth in advertising

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:51 Jan 05, 2024

Is it honest or dangerous? Maybe both :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:58 Jan 03, 2024

:-) :-) The power of suggestion. I've had horse, turtle, alligator, rabbit, just name a few - all but the horse taste like chicken. :-)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 04, 2024

Never had horse myself, though in these parts we do have deer, moose, and bear, among others - and crickets are decent. Meat's a guilty pleasure. I had to stop reading fantasy books when I got distracted pondering how a gryphon would taste. Thanks for reading, Trudy!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:46 Jan 04, 2024

Personally, I wouldn't touch a gargoyle with a ten foot pole. :-) p.s. smoked horse meat is delicious. but then let's face it smoked anything is yummy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.