The sofa and the looney

Submitted into Contest #59 in response to: Write a story that feels lonely, despite being set in a packed city.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Funny Science Fiction

The night was bright, brighter than usual since it was new year's eve.Lights of different colours and fireworks obliterating sight from travellers entering the city . The neon lights striking on the many billboards made them appear like large television screens. Loud music from the night clubs drowning the eerie cries of nocturnal birds from a forest few distances a way. As the night sobered a way, few metres from the town stood a looney house;the only one in town surrounded by a large perimeter wall. The looney house, deathly and innocuous at the same time housed the most severe of the country's nut jobs. These were the kind that could not be treated in any mental hospital and were housed here as long as time dictated until death came and rescued them from their lunacy. One such case was Patient 56 :formerly professor of linguistics and a decorated politician.

Patient 56 was housed alone in a cell next to his compatriot Patient 12. The two hardly talked to each other but their friendship had been developed by the sheer fact that they were the only looneys that could 'communicate to terrestrial beings.' They would sit there in their seats facing each other behind the large metal bars while making unintelligent sounds to each other and grinning at their shadows.While Patient 56 would be growling ,Patient 12 would be whirring around pretending to be an alien ship about to land on the face of the earth to exterminate it.This had been going on for five years and their monotonous life had never been broken and so their bond had developed.

This night however, things were not as as merry as they had been before. Patient 56 sat on his chair staring at t the cell next to his. His usual compatriot was missing. His beddings too. What remained was the sofa lonely sitting in the tiny room next to his.As patient 56 sat there contemplating on this fateful night, he was wondering what the fuss the world was up to . He had come to associate the other people's world as a crazy people's play field and he did not count himself as a looney by any chance. It is true he had developed a high sense of intelligence some time back and humans had christened it madness.His sense of 'intelligence' had developed immediately after release from prison:A political detainee and a radical anti -government crusader. It had been rumoured that the government had 'fixed' his head with repetitive baton knocks. His madness according to humans was as a result of him purposing entirely to cut links with the human race because they were filthy in all aspects :unkind,corrupt, skewed and conceited. He saw them as a sub species of his super variety:the kind that could speak to aliens,friendly, happy going and joyously frugal. He had therefore developed his own system of communication devoid of any human touch. In most societies once someone begins to talk to himself, he is classified as a looney yet he didn't care. He had gone about his business growling unintelligibly and his wife and kids had deserted him.They could not understand his language despite him trying to convince them that since they were a branch of himself,they too were superhumans. His daughter had looked at him sadly and said ," you need help." As a favour to the human race,he saw it his duty to pass on this intelligence and so since he got the premonition of the new world of superhumans, he had conducted his lectures in his new found language, much to the chagrin of his learners. His classes however began to fill with curious teens keen to see the loony professor .They would pelt him with chewed paper while mocking his super intelligence. He had remained an astute teacher of the alien world but the university had came in handy and sent him to the place for extreme crack pots where he had found a best friend and a conformist to his beliefs: Patient 12. Sadly ,on this busy night Patient 12 had gone missing and he couldn't bother to ask the sub-species race where his friend had been taken to.As he sat there on his sofa,lonely,cut off and grumpy, he imagined what his world looked like. A world more advanced than this loony world. As the loony world's music boomed and city's glimmering lights blinked, his head began to fill with utter boredom. If only he could jump over the perimeter wall and switch the city's music and lights off! His was just a wish but it had an overwhelming force. As he sat on the sofa,this wish grew intensely to an extent that he began growling louder and louder in discomfort like a bear robbed of its cubs. He began rocking faster and faster on the sofa for a super take off to his world,yet the rocking of the sofa could not ignite his super engine him. The night nurse, displeased by his growls ,came into the room and switched the lights off. He then briefly settled down in his sofa for nothing could sooth him more than the sweet flow of darkness. In the darkness,he could enjoy the other world of super-aliens, his world. While the world would be busy dancing to the music in their bright lit neon skyscrapers, he would sit in his dark place ,on his sofa, enjoying the wonderful world of aliens on the dark screen shining before his darkened wall. Today as he sat there in the dark however, ' the dark television screen' wasn't as entertaining as usual. He needed to go a way and look for his friend. He tried flying off from the sofa but his wings had been clipped. Clipped by the deep sadness that had creeped into his superhuman world and made him unable to connect to his home: The upper Above. He sat there seeking for tears to wash away the cloud covering his heart and unleash the better superhuman in him, the kind that could not feel sadness nor happiness yet his was a fickle light in an insane city.


September 14, 2020 11:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mustang Patty
19:18 Sep 24, 2020

Hi there, Your story flows well, and the timing, tone, and pacing are just right. Your talent for storytelling really shows here. I did notice a few errors in writing conventions, though. You can find the answers to things like spelling out any number under 100 or correctly hyphenating words in a Style Guide. I highly recommend 'Elements of Style 2017' because it is well organized and easy to read. Keep reading, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ariadne .
19:56 Sep 23, 2020

Wow, great Reedsy debut! I love the title! Your vocabulary is wonderful and you have great descriptions here! Well done! ~Ria~ Mind checking out my stories? Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.