11 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

A young and adventurous fox arrived in Cedar Hollow on a chilly autumn day.

Amber had a sleek, agile frame with vibrant reddish-orange fur glistening in the autumn sun. Her sharp, curious eyes had a deep amber color, matching her name, and they sparkled with intelligence and determination. Bushy tail, tipped with white, swayed as she moved, and her pointed ears were always alert, twitching at the slightest sound. She wore a small satchel over her shoulder, filled with notes and small trinkets she had collected on her journey. The air around her was crisp, filled with pine and the promise of rain.

Amber had come to the town to investigate the mysterious disappearance of her cousin, Goldilocks. She had always been close to Goldilocks, like a sister. The thought of losing her to something sinister drove Amber's determination.

Goldilocks lived in Cedar Hollow before vanishing without a trace. Amber had heard whispers of the town's eerie past and the powerful Beren family and was determined to uncover the truth.

From the moment she set paw in Cedar Hollow, Amber felt the unease that seemed to permeate the air. The forest creatures were kind but guarded, their eyes flicking towards the Beren den whenever she asked about Goldilocks or the town's history. It was clear they were hiding something.

Amber first approached the local grocer, a squirrel named Sam, who always seemed to be in a hurry, darting from one place to another with nervous energy.

Sam was a small, lively squirrel with a soft, chestnut-brown fur coat. His fur had a slight sheen, indicating he took good care of himself despite his nervous demeanor. Large, round eyes were a deep, chocolate brown. He constantly darted around, always on high alert.

Sam's bushy tail flicked back and forth restlessly as he moved. He wore a simple green apron, slightly too big for his petite frame, with the name "Sam" embroidered in white. His small paws were quick and agile, perfect for handling the various goods in his store, but they fidget nervously as he spoke to Amber.

"Sam," Amber began casually, "I'm looking for information about my cousin, Goldilocks. She disappeared recently, and I'm trying to find her."

Sam's eyes widened slightly, and he glanced around before responding. "Goldilocks? She was a nice fox, always polite. But... it's best if you don't ask too many questions, Amber. The Beren family doesn't take kindly to curiosity."

Undeterred, Amber pressed on. "What do you mean? Did something happen to her because of the Berens?"

Sam shook his head vigorously, his voice dropping to a whisper. "I can't say more. Just be careful, alright?"

Feeling frustrated but determined, Amber visited the town's library, hoping to find more clues. There, she met Harriet, a hedgehog who served as the librarian.

Harriet looked like a dignified and gentle hedgehog with a presence that exuded both warmth and wisdom. Her spines, a mix of deep brown and creamy white, were neatly groomed and arranged in a tidy, almost regal manner. Harriet's small, round eyes were a soft hazel, framed by tiny, wire-rimmed spectacles perched on the end of her snout. These spectacles often slid down, requiring a gentle nudge back into place with her delicate paw.

Her attire was modest yet elegant. It consisted of a deep maroon cardigan over a simple cream-colored dress, with pockets that seemed to hold endless bookmarks and tiny pencils. A thin, gold chain hung around her neck, ending in a small locket she occasionally touched absentmindedly while deep in thought. Harriet's voice was soothing, with a slight musical lilt that made listening to her speak a comforting experience.

"Harriet," Amber said as she approached the desk, "I'm trying to learn more about the history of Cedar Hollow and the Beren family. Can you help me?"

Harriet looked around nervously before motioning for Amber to follow her to a secluded corner of the library. "The Berens have controlled Cedar Hollow for as long as anyone can remember. But they are dangerous."

Amber's eyes widened. "Dangerous? How?"

Harriet sighed, her quills bristling slightly. "No one knows the details, but the Berens' power comes from a deal made with dark forces. Those who get too close to the truth... well, they vanish."

Amber thanked Harriet and left the library. As she continued her search, she encountered various animals, each providing pieces of the puzzle. A jittery rabbit named Rosie whispered about seeing strange lights and eerie chants from the Beren den at night. A brave deer named Daniel mentioned finding claw marks and strange symbols carved into trees near the den.

One evening, while exploring the outskirts of the town, Amber met an old owl named Oliver, eyes clouded with age but sharp with memory. Oliver had once been a respected scholar of ancient magic and now lived in seclusion at the forest's edge.

"You're brave to seek the truth, young fox," Oliver said, his voice a husky whisper. "The Berens... they made a pact long ago. Dark magic binds them, and those who get too close... well, they don't come back."

Amber's ears perked up. "Is there any way to break the dark magic?"

Oliver nodded slowly. "There is a way. Ancient spells can break the enchantments that bind. Remember these words: 'Mystical forces that bind, release your hold, and unwind.' Say this spell with conviction, and you may be able to free those trapped by dark magic."

Amber etched the words into her memory, thanking Oliver for his help. As she left, the storm clouds began to gather.

That night, a storm rolled in. Thunder rumbled in the distance, and rain began to pour in torrents. Amber pulled her cloak tighter around herself, her fur bristling against the cold, and looked for shelter. She noticed a path leading deeper into the wood. She decided to follow it, her sharp ears picking up the distant sound of rushing water.

After trudging through the rain-soaked forest, her paws squelching in the mud, Amber stumbled upon a grand den. The entrance looked overgrown with vines, almost hidden from view, but it provided the shelter she desperately needed. She pushed the heavy wooden door open and stepped inside, shaking off the rain and sniffing the air.

The den felt eerily familiar, as if she had heard about it in a story long ago. Inside, she found three chairs of varying sizes around a cozy fireplace. Her stomach growled as the scent of freshly cooked porridge wafted through the air. On a nearby table were three bowls of porridge – one large, one medium, and one small.

"Strange," Amber muttered as she looked around, eyes scanning the room. "This looks just like the story. Could it be real?"

Driven by hunger, Amber tasted the porridge from the large bowl. "Too hot," she said, moving to the medium bowl. "Too cold." Finally, she tried the small bowl. "Just right," she murmured, finishing the bowl and licking her whiskers clean.

Feeling drowsy, she noticed the three chairs. Suddenly, tiredness caught up with her. The large chair was too hard, and the medium chair was too soft, but the small one was right. She settled in, but soon, the chair broke under her weight. Startled, she flicked her tail and looked around for a resting place.

Amber entered a bedroom with three beds – one large, one medium, and one small. She tried the large bed. "Too hard," she said, moving to the medium bed. "Too soft." Finally, she tried the small bed. "Just right," she whispered, curling up with her bushy tail wrapped around her and falling into a deep sleep.

As Amber slept, the Beren family returned home. Edward Beren, the patriarch, Mama Beren, and their son, Baby Beren, noticed the open door and the muddy paw prints leading inside. Their large paws thumbed softly on the wooden floor as they exchanged suspicious glances.

"Someone's been here," Edward growled, his keen nose twitching as he sniffed the air.

The family entered the dining area and saw the bowls of porridge.

"Someone's been eating my porridge," Edward said, looking at his large bowl.

"Someone's been eating my porridge," Mama Beren added, glancing at her medium bowl.

"And someone's been eating my porridge," Baby Beren exclaimed, "and they've eaten it all up!"

They moved to the living room and saw the chairs. "Someone's been sitting in my chair," Edward said, eyeing his large chair.

"Someone's been sitting in my chair," Mama Beren said, frowning at her medium chair.

"And someone's been sitting in my chair," Baby Beren cried, "and they've broken it!"

Growing more suspicious, the family moved to the bedroom.

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed," Edward growled, his eyes narrowing at the large bed.

"Someone's been sleeping in my bed," Mama Beren added, glancing at her medium bed.

"And someone's sleeping in my bed!" Baby Beren exclaimed.

Amber awoke with a start to find the three bears towering over her, their eyes filled with suspicion and anger. She quickly scrambled out of the bed, her heart pounding in her chest and her fur standing on end.

"Who are you, and what are you doing in our den?" Edward demanded, his voice a low rumble.

"I'm Amber," she stammered. "I got caught in the storm and needed shelter. I didn't mean any harm."

Edward's eyes narrowed. "You're the fox who's been asking questions about our family. Why are you here?"

Amber took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. "I'm looking for my cousin, Goldilocks. She disappeared after investigating your family. I want to know what happened to her."

The room fell silent. Then Edward leaned forward, his smile turning sinister. "Some secrets are best left buried, Miss Amber."

Before she could react, Mama Beren and Baby Beren blocked her escape. Amber realized too late the danger she had put herself in. But she was determined to see this through, no matter the cost.

They passed a dining area where the porridge bowls still sat, the remains of her meal left behind. They continued down a long corridor lined with portraits of Beren's ancestors, their eyes following her every move. Finally, they reached a heavy door adorned with strange symbols. Edward unlocked it and gestured for Amber to enter.

In the hidden chamber, Amber's eyes widened in horror. There, encased in a crystalline prison and surrounded by flickering candles, was Goldilocks. Her cousin's face was pale, her eyes closed, and her body suspended in an enchanted slumber.

"Goldilocks!" Amber whispered, rushing forward. She could feel the dark magic that held her cousin captive, a sinister force that seemed to writhe and twist in the air around them.

Despite being a fox, Goldilocks earned her nickname due to her striking golden fur, which shimmered in the sunlight, like the legendary figure from the old tales. She had always been adventurous and curious, traits that now seemed to have led her into grave danger.

"She was too curious for her good," Edward said, echoing in the chamber. "And now, so are you."

Amber's mind raced. She had to free Goldilocks and escape. She touched the crystal, feeling the cold, unyielding surface beneath her paw. Edward didn't stop her. There was no reason for that. She could not escape. At least, that is what Edward thought.

Summoning all her courage, she remembered the spell Oliver had taught her. "Mystical forces that bind release your hold, and unwind," Amber chanted, her voice steady and strong.

The crystal prison began to crack, light seeping through the fissures. The dark energy recoiled, and the crystal exploded with a final shattering sound, freeing Goldilocks. She collapsed into Amber's arms, weak but alive.

"We need to get out of here," Amber urged, helping Goldilocks to her feet. "I've uncovered their secret, and we must expose them."

Using the moment of shock that struck Edward, Amber, and Goldilocks ran forward with a narrow passage in front of them.

Everything happened in the blink of an eye. Edward, the towering patriarch of the Beren family, roared in fury, his deep, guttural voice reverberating through the den-like thunder. His eyes burned with rage, and his massive frame moved with surprising speed as he chased the two foxes through the winding passages of the den.

Amber led the way, her lithe body darting through the narrow, dark corridors. Her fur bristled with adrenaline, and her amber eyes glowed with determination.

Goldilocks, behind Amber, followed her cousin's lead, her golden fur a stark contrast against the dimly lit surroundings. She moved quickly but with an underlying sense of panic, glancing back frequently to see the ominous shadow of Edward growing ever closer. Her breath came in quick, shallow gasps, the fear of being caught evident in her eyes.

The corridors were narrow and claustrophobic, with rough-hewn stone walls that seemed to close in around them. The air was cool and damp, filled with the musty scent of earth and old wood. Dim, flickering torches cast eerie shadows, making the passages seem even more ominous and disorienting.

The sound of the chase was a cacophony of frantic footsteps, heavy breaths, and Edward's terrifying, guttural growls. His heavy footsteps thudded against the ground, each one sending a jolt of fear through the foxes. His growls echoed off the stone walls, a constant reminder of the danger behind them.

As they twisted and turned through the maze-like passages, Amber's mind raced, searching for a way out. She could feel Edward's presence growing closer, his rage palpable. But she didn't let fear take over. Instead, she focused on the path ahead, her sharp instincts leading her and Goldilocks through the dangerous chase.

Just as Edward was about to catch up, Amber spotted a narrow passage behind one of the ritual altars. Thinking quickly, she grabbed an ancient candlestick and swung it at Edward, causing a momentary distraction.

"Go, now!" Amber shouted, pushing Goldilocks towards the passage.

The passage was dark and winding, leading deeper into the bowels of the den. Amber and Goldilocks could hear the Berens' angry shouts echoing behind them. They pressed on, their fear fueling their determination.

As they rounded another corner, Amber spotted a faint glimmer of light up ahead. It was their chance, their way out. Summoning every ounce of strength and courage, she urged Goldilocks to keep up. The light grew brighter, and the exit was within reach.

With a final burst of speed, Amber and Goldilocks sprinted toward the light, their hearts pounding with hope and fear. The exit was just a few steps away, the promise of freedom within their grasp.

"We're going to make it," Goldilocks panted, hope rekindling in her eyes.

The narrow corridor eventually led them to a hidden exit behind the den, covered by overgrown ivy. Amber and Goldilocks pushed through the dense foliage and emerged into the stormy night. They sprinted through the wood, their paws sinking into the mud, the rain soaking them to the bone, and the cold wind cutting at their fur.

"We have to reach the town and tell everyone," Amber said, her voice unwavering.

As they approached the forest's edge, the storm began to decrease. The rain lightened, and the howling wind calmed, leaving a trail of wet leaves and broken branches in their wake. The town square was just ahead, its lights glowing warmly against the dark backdrop of the night.

They stumbled into the town square, breathless and disheveled but with a fire in their eyes. The forest creatures gathered around, their curiosity piqued by the sight of the two bedraggled foxes.

Amber and Goldilocks began to recount their harrowing ordeal – the dark rituals, the hidden chamber, and the Berens' twisted secrets. Their voices filled with urgency and conviction, and the town listened intently.

Goldilocks spoke, her voice trembling but strong. "They trapped me in a crystal prison. If it weren't for Amber, I might still be there."

The evidence was undeniable, and the town was shocked into action. Murmurs of outrage and fear spread through the crowd. Authorities were called in, and an investigation was launched. The Berens were arrested, their roars of protest echoing through the forest as they were led away. The den was searched thoroughly, and the hidden chamber and its horrifying contents were revealed to the world, bringing an end to the family's reign of terror.

The tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears took on a new meaning in Cedar Hollow, not just as a children's story but as a reminder of the dark secrets that can lie hidden in even the most seemingly benevolent places.

As they walked away from Cedar Hollow, Goldilocks turned to Amber, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Amber. You saved my life."

Amber squeezed her cousin's paw. "We saved each other," she replied with a smile. "And we brought the truth to light. That's what matters most."

Goldilocks nodded, her eyes brimming with tears. "I couldn't have done it without you."

Amber smiled, her tail swishing lightly. "We'll always have each other, no matter what."

So, Amber, the modern-day Goldilocks, left Cedar Hollow with her cousin, unmasking the real, terrifying bears and restoring a sense of truth and justice to the haunted forest.

July 13, 2024 07:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Brian Haddad
17:32 Aug 05, 2024

As someone who enjoyed at least one of the Redwall books as a kid (it was a long time ago and I don't remember how many of the books I made it through! lol), I immediately appreciated your decision to cast animals in your story. I also enjoy a good fairy tale, and the tie-in with Goldilocks and the Three Bears was fun.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
18:52 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you. I'm a big fun of fairytales.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
18:51 Jul 22, 2024

Fabulous twist, enjoyed it

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:54 Jul 22, 2024

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:05 Jul 21, 2024

A very different take on an old story. It initially sounded like a Beatrix Potter story given the Darvico treatment (fabulous descriptions), and then became the well-known 'three bears' story. Finally, it became a dark tale with a brave heroine, and a happy ending. I'm happy about that. Cleverly done.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
12:03 Jul 21, 2024

I have inside of me that voice. And it twist every story of which I had memories in every possible way. I just pick from infinite choice of stories and treat it in Darvico way. Does that sound reasonably? Thanks for kind comment.

Reply

21:48 Jul 21, 2024

We all do what we do in our own way. Sounds reasonable to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:07 Jul 13, 2024

Loved your descriptions of the forest animals as village people. Great take on the story. Was thinking of doing a follow up story about a fox hunt for My Fair Lady series. Can't possibly beat this one.🦊

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
21:45 Jul 13, 2024

That's very kind of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
19:07 Jul 13, 2024

Wow! Amazing re-imagining and blending of multiple fairytales into a creative new story that has drama and high impact. This is outstanding, and to me it is a winner for sure. Entertaining, original, skillfully written. I am in awe. I love a good fantasy story with animals in it.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
19:12 Jul 13, 2024

Hahaha... I just knew you gonna love this one, Kristi. Thanks for kind comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.