His Perfect Creation

Submitted into Contest #239 in response to: Write a story about an artist whose work has magical properties.... view prompt

36 comments

Fantasy

Working this long, this close to the fire is grueling. Having already stripped down to his shorts and leather apron, he wipes his brow and guzzles water. One more time. With the white-hot flame ready, he rolls his pipe in the molten gather. Hoping, praying that this time he has the mixture right. A soft blow, a turn, a little more air, another turn. A slight cooling on the marver, more air, just a bit more, a slow turn. Pause to let a bubble float to the top, shaping on the bench, cool, just enough and blow. Turn, gather the ocher shot with gold frit. That's right, turn, air, blow, shape with the jack, turn ...


Dripping with sweat, arms trembling with effort. Legs cramping. Lungs on fire. He doesn't feel any of it.


He's in the Zone.


The Zone, where any artist, athlete, performer worth his salt wants to be. That place that can only be reached after mindless drills and practice in the pursuit of perfection. Yes, talent helps. But mind-numbing repetition is the key. When every muscle in the body knows instantly, automatically what to do, when top form has been reached, then the brain is free to imagine and create magic.


That is The Zone.


Thoughtless he works. Knowing in his soul, feeling it with each fiber of his body, he's convinced this is his Masterpiece, his Opus Magnum, his perfection.


At last he carefully separates the glass from the pipe and sets it in the cooling kiln, where it is allowed to cool undisturbed. Too fast and it will shatter, too slow and it may sag, lose its shape. One last look before he closes the lid.


He turns off the flame, banks the fire, cleans his workspace, puts away his pipes and jacks. Gathering his discarded clothes, he leaves the studio and crosses the yard to the small house. No more than a one room shack smaller than his studio. Never mind, He spends more time in his studio than in the house. Thirty minutes recording his work, the color combinations and techniques used, one long shower, a perfunctory meal before he finally collapses on the threadbare sofa. He puts his feet on the overturned milk crate and sips a beer. Just before he falls asleep on the couch, he sends up a little prayer to whomever it may concern. "Please let it survive the night."


He feels the familiar aches in his neck from having fallen asleep on the couch, again. Not that his thin mattress on the floor in a corner of the room, would have been an improvement. He groans at the familiar aches in his arms, back and legs earned during many hours of work. He scratches the small burns on his arms, the ones that have tiny shards of glass embedded. His brain feels numb from having inhaled too much of that shit.


After gulping down a cup of hot, dark, bitter coffee, he steps into his work boots and is on his way to the studio. Time to see if the cooling kiln has done its job. Carefully, he lifts the lid and sighs with pleasure. "God, you're beautiful." he whispers. With both hands, he reaches in and picks up the delicate glass sculpture.


The figurine, Aphrodite rising from the surf, is the best thing he has ever made. The subtle white froth reaches up the calves and thighs. The pale amber skin, which he doubts he could ever replicate, is cleverly covered in ocher and gold that drapes provocatively over the curves and valleys. The long, graceful neck, a mere hint at facial features, seductively hidden behind deep amber hair that drapes over her right shoulder.


The glass is still warm to the touch. Wrapping the delicate figurine in a soft cloth, to protect it from the cold air, he carries it into the little house. Proudly, he places it on the shelf above the hearth. Then he sits on the old sofa and admires his work. Eventually his eyelids droop. The lack of sleep, the many days and nights compulsively, obsessively working to achieve this perfection is catching up with him. "You are perfect." he mumbles just before he falls asleep.


A soft touch on his shoulder, a light stroke across his cheek, a caress teasing his lips. He stirs and turns toward the warmth. More please, more. He opens his eyes and blinks. And blinks again.


Before him is the most beautiful woman he could possibly imagine. Sexier than Brigitte Bardot, Classier than Grace Kelly, more voluptuous than Liz Taylor. This goddess has skin that glows as if she's made of sunshine, thick honey-gold hair rolls in waves over her shoulders. A diaphanous gold-shot ocher gown, which has no intention of hiding her sensual body, a body made to be worshipped. Her sultry brown eyes, high cheekbones and plump lips compete with her ... yes, he's a man. So he looks and looks at ... her succulent breasts.


He groans.


"Good morning. I'm glad you're finally awake. I've been watching you." She smiles. "All night." Her small, warm hand stroked over his. Of its own accord his hand turns over, inviting her fingers to etch small trails in his palm and up his forearm. Suddenly he's uncomfortable in his shorts.


"I'm in need." She pouts. "Can you help me?"


Oh, he can think of several ways to help her. His sigh is one of pleasure. But cautiously, wondering, hoping but doubting, he asks. "Who are you?"


She laughs. Her laughter is like a bell. Not the kind that hangs over a shop's door. Not the kind that waits to be slapped, demanding service. Not the kind that calls the people to church on Sunday. No, this is the whole carillon. Though now she only uses the upper octaves, her seductive voice of minutes ago, tells him her voice has excellent pitch and range.


"I am your creation. You made me to be your ideal, your perfection, I exist because of you." She trails her fingernails down his chest, plucking his flat nipples, making him twitch. She lightly scratches over his taut abdomen, taunts at the band of his shorts.

He shudders, he bucks, his breath catches, he's forgotten how to swallow.

"Ah, my ...." Is as coherent as he can be.


Her lips have followed her fingers and set him on fire. His head slams against the cushions of the sofa. His legs splay, his body melts into the couch. He gazes, unseeing at the low ceiling of the small house.

"Oh shit! This is better than ..."


His thoughts are MIA. The few blood cells that had been keeping his brain semi-functioning, have donned party hats, handed in their vacation slips and are rushing down to his groin. He's now her willing slave.


She all female and insatiable. "You made me. You decided that I am the goddess of beauty, lust and passion. You declared me perfect." she purrs.


Hours pass and become days. On she plays, holding him captive with her seduction, her skills, her demands to be worshipped. He tries to slip away, needing rest, nourishment, strength. He offers food, wine, anything.


"No, come back. I'm not done with you, yet." She drags him back to the suddenly luxuriously plush, silky smooth, enormous bed. He, her slave, follows, having lost his mind, his will.


It's been weeks. He's wrung out, a mere shadow of himself. His perfect creation has become just a tad too perfect. He has not been given rest or the chance to go to his studio. Consignments are falling behind. No matter how often or how much he protests, she knows exactly which buttons to tweak. How to mold him for her pleasure.


Somewhere, way back in the last functioning square inch of his cortex, he knows that he must find her Achillis heel. But she's a goddess. How can he win against a goddess? She's the goddess of beauty, sex, lust, passion, love and procreation.


Wait! The thought almost slips before he catches it.


When she told him who she was, she did not mention love or procreation. What does that mean? It's so hard to think when she has her small, but powerful and skillful hands wrapped around him. But he must or he will die. Though, there are worse ways to go.


No! Not yet. All hands, or rather all platelets and corpuscles on deck.


"Oh, Aphrodite." He sighs. "May I call you Aph? Or would you prefer Ditie? I'd like us to have pet names, don't you? You could call me Alfie. How's that? Aph, you are by far the most beautiful, sensual and lustful woman I've ever met."


"Yes, of course, I am." She shrugs.


"I love you."


"Most men and women love and worship me in the lustful sense, of course."


No, no. My heart, my soul has yearned for you. Now that I've created you, you are mine."


"Time out, Buster. I do not belong to you. You're cute, have all your teeth, most of your hair. Have earned this strong body with work. But handsome or not, you are a mere mortal. I'm a goddess." She rolls to her back, one arms flung over her eyes. "Oh, why do mortals have to be so tedious? They don't know their place. All they want ... Wait! What do you want?"


"Marry me, have my children."


"F ..., Sh ...! No, nuh hu. I don't think so. I've had seven. Eros, heard of him? He was my first. Man that little thing was - still is a handful. Do you have any idea what it takes to keep him in arrows? And his aim is slipping. His successes are less than the Cubs. And it's been centuries, millennia and he still wears diapers, for Zeus' sake! And the twins were just as much trouble, till I kicked them out.


She rolls her eyes, shrugs and sighs. "No, you're thinking of my daughter Harmonia. Kind of a homely, docile creature." She shakes her head. "I guess you better feed me and I'll be on my way. There's bound to be a mortal out there who's less demanding and worthy of me."


Two hours later, only thirty minutes of which are spent on food, he puts his arm around her shoulder. "Are you sure you need to go? But I haven't shown you my studio yet. Come, it's the least you can do. After all it's the place where I conceiver you, so to speak."


She's not impressed. "It's cold and dirty. How can anyone work in these conditions? No chocolate, no nectar, no ambrosia." She grumbles.


"My bad, Ditie. It'll take just a minute to warm the place up. Can't have you catch a cold now, can we? Let me show you how glass blowing works. See the sculpture I made of you?


"Hey...!


There is no glass sculpture on the shelf over the hearth, but the front window has new shimmering, amber and gold panes.




February 25, 2024 17:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Wally Schmidt
01:23 Mar 03, 2024

Loved the humor and the storyline.. but especially loved the ending. The"Time out, Buster..."paragraph really gave us the flavor of Aphrodite's character.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:26 Mar 03, 2024

:-) Thank you, Wally. Yeah, what-cha gonna do with a goddess, right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
17:24 Mar 02, 2024

This is amazing. So sexy! I now know what to get my husband for his next birthday…a leather apron and a marver. Wonderful stuff! Look forward to more Trudy

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:18 Mar 02, 2024

Thanks, Rebecca. Though be careful that he doesn't make another Aphrodite. :-)

Reply

Rebecca Detti
17:22 Mar 03, 2024

He he! I know, I'll try and stop him!:-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:05 Mar 01, 2024

Haha clever stuff. The story of many decades long relationships condensed into this magical scenario. A mythological 'Weird Science' :) One part of this which was amazingly effective was the short paragraph on being in ''the zone'. Sandwiched between 'he's in the zone/that is the zone'. It served as a real springboard to the rest of the story. As a reader you feel your engagement go up a gear. Real clever story mechanics. The nuggets about the Greek mythology gave it an extra dimensions as well. Aphrodite shone through as a strong characte...

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:46 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you, Tom. I'm so glad you liked it. Yes, she wasn't taking a backseat, was she. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ana M
00:17 Mar 01, 2024

What a fun and interesting story! Nice!

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:57 Mar 01, 2024

Thank you, Ana. I'm happy you read my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
17:40 Feb 29, 2024

The fire was not the only "hot" element of this story, for sure! Wow, you have a talent for "romance". :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:28 Feb 29, 2024

Thanks Myranda. Maybe yearning/ wishful thinking might be more appropriate. :-( ;)) Thanks for reading my story.

Reply

Myranda Marie
20:08 Feb 29, 2024

We can call it whatever you'd prefer, but "hot" about covers it! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:42 Feb 29, 2024

LOL. HOT it is.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
04:27 Feb 29, 2024

Hi Trudy, Love how you made this an Aphrodite fantasy. And the descriptions! Your strong suit, and so hard to do. '..subtle white froth reaches up the calves and thighs. ... The long, graceful neck, a mere hint at facial features, seductively hidden behind deep amber hair that drapes over her right shoulder.' and '...skin that glows as if she's made of sunshine, thick honey-gold hair rolls in waves over her shoulders. A diaphanous gold-shot ocher gown, which has no intention of hiding her sensual body...' Super job meeting the prompt....

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:28 Feb 29, 2024

Thank you, Jack and right back at-cha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:10 Feb 28, 2024

I enjoyed this one - so funny!

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:14 Feb 28, 2024

Thanka for the read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
14:17 Feb 26, 2024

I think they call this "too much of a good thing" - but thankfully he realizes before it's too late. Such a fun and creative take on this prompt. Your stories never disappoint, Beautifully written!

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:47 Feb 26, 2024

Thank you, Karen! Really appreciate your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vid Weeks
12:23 Feb 26, 2024

Cool story. I used to be a glassblower so even more enjoyable for me! technical note - a glassblowers 'block' is called a marver (they used to be made of marble, but steel now

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:48 Feb 26, 2024

Thank you, Vid. Both for reading abd liking my story and the technical feedback I'll have to tell Wikipedia LOL Glad I wasn't too fat off base.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:29 Feb 26, 2024

This story proves the point- Be careful what you wish for, Because you just might get it! A fitting ending ;) Thanks!

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:47 Feb 26, 2024

Thank you, Marty. You're absolutely right. And of course there is no such thing as perfect.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:57 Feb 25, 2024

A great ending, poor old Aph. Love this story. Favourite lines: Though, there are worse ways to go.- haha probably His thoughts are MIA. The few blood cells that had been keeping his brain semi-functioning, have donned party hats, handed in their vacation slips - great imagery I caught a few typos, May I call you Ahp? (Aph) has no intention of hidung her sensual body (hiding) my soul has yeared for you (yearned) yes, he's a mans. (man) Thanks for sharing

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:11 Feb 25, 2024

thanks Michelle. Back to edit, And yeah, they are my fave lines too. Thanks for reading and liking,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:57 Feb 25, 2024

A true treasure of a godess.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:09 Feb 25, 2024

It's what he wanted - he thought. Thanks, Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kerriann Murray
20:05 Feb 25, 2024

This made me laugh. Love your take on the prompt!!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:37 Feb 25, 2024

Good! It was meant to make you laugh. Thanks for reading my stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
19:21 Feb 25, 2024

Hey Trudie! I loved this story and the humour had me chuckling out loud. It’s certainly a wonderful case of, ‘be careful what you wish’ or maybe, ‘caveat emptor?’ Wonderful descriptions throughout and I smiled when I read, “The few blood cells that had been keeping his brain semi-functioning, have donned party hats, handed in their vacation slips and are rushing down to his groin.” A great sense of the artist’s work and his character. Just one little note - there’s an extra ‘his’ in the following line….. “…..he's convinced this his is his M...

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:41 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you - that was my favorite line too. :-) sigh, will scrap one of the hisses.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:48 Feb 26, 2024

It was just the first ‘his’ that was wrong. (Maybe a ghost left over from an edit?) Everything else was splendid :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:52 Feb 26, 2024

I found the one ghost and i'll take "splendid anytime.

Reply

Howard Halsall
13:14 Feb 26, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:25 Feb 25, 2024

Splendid job ! I love the vivid imagery, as usual. It's as if I were there. Good on the MC for figurine out Aphrodite's weakness !

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:28 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you, Stella. Thanks for the feedback I guess there is no such thing as perfect. Oh well.... :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.