1407 comments

Sad Inspirational Speculative

Dedicated to my magical parakeet, Meg, who passed October 12th. I hope you're happy soaring around in paradise, Meg.


I'm flying.

Mama, I'm flying again, so free! I feel so independent! The cage is gone!

Mama?

Where are you, Mama?

Weren't you holding me in your warm hand just now?

Weren't you looking at me and smiling?

Why was there sadness in your eyes, even though you were smiling? Mama, what happened? Why did saltiness roll down your face and fall into my mouth? 

It didn't taste good, Mama. Please don't feed that to me again.

Why was your face twisted in agony?

Why did you disappear?

It's getting cold here, Mama. It's cold, like the time you forgot to bring me close to the heater in the winter night. I remember you held me afterward, Mama. You apologized to me so many times, even though I kept telling you it was fine, and I was fine!

It's okay, Mama, I am fine. I'll keep flying. I'll keep going, and I'll never forget you, okay, Mama? Don't worry about me.

I feel bad, Mama.

I pecked and scratched you so many times. Blood seeped out of your cuts, but you didn't get mad. You smiled and told me not to.

I won't do it anymore, as long as I get to see you again, Mama.

Where am I? The sky is so white, so empty. It doesn't at all look like the sky I stared at through the window of our house. That sky was bright blue, the same color as my feathers. That sky had thick, puffy clouds and sent warmth through the window to me. This sky is cold, not too cold, but it's colder than usual. I miss you, Mama. I miss our house and my cage, and my seeds and my toys and my friend.

I miss your giggles as I smacked against the window, excited to fly around. I miss your warm, soft voice, murmuring beautiful words as you worked. I never knew what those words meant, Mama, but they sounded magical because they came from you.

I even miss when your voice got faster, weaving in and out with your sister's voice until you turned your backs to each other, and Grandma and Grandpa had to sort it out.

I even miss your worried squeals and shouts when I went behind the couch or bookshelves. I miss you scolding me gently for pecking my friends. I miss you reading to me, pronouncing words for me, in high hopes I'd mimic you. 

I never could, though, and my words always came out as chirps, and yours didn't.

Mama, I miss your warmth.

Everything about you was warm; your words, sweet like the fruits you put in my cage, your laughs, bouncy like the small rubber balls you brought home from the doctor's, your hands, smooth like my perch, your breaths, light like my feathers, your coffee eyes, hypnotic like the mirror hanging beside me.

I hope you still have your warmth, Mama. 

I'll remember it as I travel to my destination. I don't know how, but I know that where I'm going won't be warm. I know it'll be cold and barren and boring and too quiet to be called a real place. I'll keep your warm words and warm laughs and warm hands and warm breaths in mind, Mama.

Mama, I remember I wasn't a good bird.

I hurt you and yelled at you, and I always tricked you by escaping the old black cage after finding a large gap in the wires. I remember you came home, and I was exploring, and I heard you call me, so I answered.

You called me so many times that day, Mama, and I answered every single time. Then you found me, walking around under the bed, and breathed a warm sigh of relief, and picked me up, and put me in my cage.

You brought home a newer, larger, white-and-blue cage a week later. I couldn't find a way to escape from that cage.

It was probably for the best, Mama, wasn't it?

That's right. Mama, you always wanted the best for me. You brought friends so that I wouldn't be lonely. You let me out regularly because you wanted me to have freedom. You always gazed at me with your twinkling, warm coffee eyes, and then Grandma would come in and tell you to focus on your work again. 

Your voice was constantly there. You were always in my room, and if not, I heard your voice from the next, and if you were downstairs, I heard your voice echoing through the vents of our house, and if you were in the backyard, I heard your voice from the window, and if you went somewhere, I heard your voice in my head.

I miss your voice a lot, Mama.

There's no one to talk to me here, to bathe me in their warm voice, to look at me and call my name. 

I guess, for now, I'll keep listening to your voice in my head. I'll keep listening to you calling my name, whispering secrets to me, repeating your name to me so I could say it myself, you jokingly teaching me how to get food for myself. 

Mama, I miss our house. I miss flying around indoors with my friends, and I miss hiding from you, and I miss perching atop the bookshelf or a picture frame. I miss the smell of curry and rice and samosas flitting through the air along with me when Grandma and Grandpa cooked. I miss the scent of the air freshener. I miss the citrus scent of my seeds. I miss the smell of my friends, Mama. When will I see my friends?

Mama, is my friend all alone now? Will I be alone when I reach my destination? There aren't any friends around me, Mama.

Mama, it was so strange when you were looking at the bird wrapped in a tissue and calling it by my name. I chirped for you so many times, Mama! Mama! Mama! But you kept looking at the bird and shouting, Meg! Meg! Meg!

Mama, I'm Meg! Why didn't you look at me? I was right behind you, why didn't you look? I was chirping and chirping!

Now I'm alone, and I'm going to a cold place without you, Mama.

Mama, where are you?


October 16, 2020 19:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1407 comments

B. W.
13:46 Nov 09, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
14:58 Nov 09, 2020

Hiiii

Reply

B. W.
17:30 Nov 09, 2020

how are ya today?

Reply

Laiba M
19:16 Nov 09, 2020

Stressed. But, I'm having a good day. I got a fairly good grade on my exam and talked to tons of friends, so good times :)

Reply

B. W.
19:17 Nov 09, 2020

Oh, well i guess im good, though I think I could really use some help with something and its a thing your good at doing that's why I'm asking ya.

Reply

Laiba M
19:35 Nov 09, 2020

Yep, you asked me about that on a different thread, so I'll reply on that one :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
19:16 Nov 09, 2020

How are you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:23 Nov 09, 2020

Hey, im still planning on trying to make a story for you and then later for some other friends ^^ which of this weeks prompts do ya maybe like the most?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:04 Nov 08, 2020

This is just another random question because I'm bored and kinda curious, whats your favorite thing about Reedsy?

Reply

Laiba M
22:34 Nov 08, 2020

The support and feedback :) When I was new to Reedsy, I would have to go far back in my notifications to check every like and comment, since I reply to all comments. I would get 4 or 5 new followers a day, it was so wonderful! Now that I've been on for 7 months-time flies-since so many people already know of me and have followed me, like and follow notifications are rare :D Anyways, Reedsy is perfect-the only thing I would suggest is private messaging!

Reply

B. W.
22:38 Nov 08, 2020

There's alot of things i like about Reedsy, some of it is what you said and the other stuff is just the friends on here as well ^^ Yeah, I think I've been here for a while now and its gone by so fast, though it feels like I've been here for already like a year or 2 years tbh. Private messaging? for an example, ya just mean like so me and you could privately talk and stuff on here without others seeing it and all that? That would be interesting, maybe they SHOULD add it.

Reply

Laiba M
22:39 Nov 08, 2020

I agree! I started a bit after quarantine started, even though I had been writing my whole life, I discovered it in February and decided to make an account in April :) So it's been a while! Yeah, that's what I mean~ like texts, but we wouldn't have to share numbers or social media accounts to message, just our Reedsy accounts!

Reply

B. W.
22:42 Nov 08, 2020

I joined back in March with an account, though like you I had actually discovered it a little while before that and I mostly just used it to get ideas for a while. Yeah that would be great, maybe you could suggest it to the reedsy team or something?

Reply

Laiba M
23:04 Nov 08, 2020

Maybe!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:37 Nov 08, 2020

Hey, i know that youve told me that you would make me that story, but I just don't think you should try to make me one anymore. I've still just been bugging you for several weeks to do it and I've still been a bit rude each time, probably I'm not entirely sure. I know your also gonna be busy with other things and because your also doing that cover art, I don't wanna put more stuff onto you like I've been doing for a while, I've just felt really bad about all this. I don't even think I need or deserve a story, everyone else that your friends ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
20:59 Nov 08, 2020

ya wanna hear some more jokes or something?

Reply

Laiba M
21:05 Nov 08, 2020

Sure! Always up for jokes, lol~

Reply

B. W.
21:08 Nov 08, 2020

alright ^^ knock knock

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:23 Nov 08, 2020

Hm, this is sort of a random question and just because I'm honestly a bit curious about it, what do ya think I look like?

Reply

Laiba M
12:55 Nov 08, 2020

Dark hair, maybe black or dark brown, that falls just past your shoulders, tan skin, brown eyes, average height and weight :)

Reply

B. W.
19:11 Nov 08, 2020

Hmm :) do ya maybe want me to guess what ya look like?

Reply

Laiba M
19:28 Nov 08, 2020

Sure! Also, guess how old I am :)~ Were any of my guesses correct? ;D

Reply

B. W.
19:42 Nov 08, 2020

yes, two of your guesses were correct ^^ hm i dunno, are ya maybe 16?

Reply

Laiba M
20:45 Nov 08, 2020

Nice! That's just what I imagine you as :) What do you mean? You have to be at least 18 to join Reedsy and participate in a competition?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:50 Nov 08, 2020

hey, do ya think that i should maybe change up my bio again or something? Ive kinda been thinking about it for a bit.

Reply

Laiba M
04:03 Nov 08, 2020

I like it! And I'd like any of your bios, of course~ If you're not satisfied with it, you can change it, but I think it looks good!

Reply

B. W.
04:09 Nov 08, 2020

aw thanks ^^

Reply

Laiba M
04:17 Nov 08, 2020

No problem! By the way, I just changed my bio, let me know if you liked the previous one or this one more!

Reply

B. W.
04:20 Nov 08, 2020

i like both of them ^^

Reply

Laiba M
04:21 Nov 08, 2020

Thanks! What are your favorite fruits/favorite fruit flavored objects?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:31 Nov 08, 2020

I got it out :D could ya check out the new story called "Otherworldly repairs" and then leave some critique on it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:53 Nov 07, 2020

have ya maybe gotten down-voted alot again or something? if ya have, maybe I could try to upvote ya again.

Reply

Laiba M
23:13 Nov 07, 2020

Hmm, I'm not where I was before, but you've still upvoted me a lot!! So don't worry :)

Reply

B. W.
23:27 Nov 07, 2020

do ya still maybe wanna end up in the top 10 at some point?

Reply

Laiba M
23:41 Nov 07, 2020

Honestly, I'd really love that, and it would be the best! But it'll probably take years and most likely won't happen at all, lol~

Reply

B. W.
23:46 Nov 07, 2020

come on, i KNOW that it'll happen ^^

Reply

Laiba M
00:05 Nov 08, 2020

Maybe in my dreams :))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:25 Nov 07, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Laiba M
13:28 Nov 07, 2020

Hiiiiiii~

Reply

B. W.
17:05 Nov 07, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
04:07 Nov 07, 2020

heya, ya know the alien prompt, right?

Reply

Laiba M
13:30 Nov 07, 2020

Mhm~

Reply

B. W.
17:07 Nov 07, 2020

I thought of an idea for it and I could use some help

Reply

Laiba M
20:20 Nov 07, 2020

What's the idea?

Reply

B. W.
20:30 Nov 07, 2020

here i havent thought of anything but here's what I have so far: there would be a robot character who sorta looks like a human but is really metallic and stuff so they'd barely look like one. Then there would be an actual human with the robot who's friends with them and then there would be an alien (whos nice and friends with the two, though maybe the alien owns the robot) and maybe they'd be going to the market place thing for something really urgent, like maybe they gotta fix the robot or something.

Reply

Laiba M
23:02 Nov 07, 2020

Sounds like a solid idea~ what do you need help with?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:20 Nov 06, 2020

Hey, I think that ya SHOULD bring back your third person bio, i think that it was great ^^

Reply

Laiba M
18:44 Nov 06, 2020

So, I've gotten three people to say yes :) I'll add it, lol~~

Reply

B. W.
19:01 Nov 06, 2020

yay ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:22 Oct 28, 2020

imma try and do a 3rd person bio :)

Reply

Laiba M
16:03 Oct 28, 2020

Okay!!

Reply

B. W.
16:04 Oct 28, 2020

do you see the thing i did for ya? :)

Reply

Laiba M
16:09 Oct 28, 2020

Yes, it really made me smile :D It's really cool about you being a Virgo, by the way!

Reply

B. W.
16:35 Oct 28, 2020

it is? ive never thought that much about zodiac signs

Reply

Laiba M
17:30 Oct 28, 2020

Yeah, I didn't expect it :) That's fine! You don't have to be, lol~ Put whatever you enjoy in your bio :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
16:03 Oct 28, 2020

It looks great! I love it, good job :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
B. W.
05:41 Oct 28, 2020

2020 just sucks and i still have no idea on what to do, I just keep having bad days and I guess some other stuff. do you maybe have any advice on what to with stress and anxiety or something?

Reply

Laiba M
12:16 Oct 28, 2020

Well, since we both use Reedsy, writing with any prompt of your choice. Now, you don't have to post it, and you don't even have to use a current prompt; it can be anyone you want to write about. Meditating-it might sound silly or something strange people do, but even if you do it for 15 minutes a day, it'll help get your thoughts together and they won't cloud your day :) Coloring/art. If making art frustrates you, color pre-made art. It's very therapeutic. Watch a movie with someone or alone. Either one is fun. Spend time with a family m...

Reply

B. W.
14:38 Oct 28, 2020

any other advice?

Reply

Laiba M
14:39 Oct 28, 2020

Not really. I don't deal with stress or anxiety often, and if I do, I just take a break

Reply

B. W.
14:41 Oct 28, 2020

well alright

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:42 Oct 28, 2020

Hey, im not really sure if ive already asked you this or not, but are you maybe good at drawing?

Reply

Laiba M
02:10 Oct 28, 2020

I'm not going to say I'm good for sure, but yes, I think I might be~

Reply

B. W.
02:20 Oct 28, 2020

i was wondering if ya could possibly draw something for me?

Reply

Laiba M
02:42 Oct 28, 2020

Like what? The cover for one of your novels? Also, I started talking to Vayd today and he's really nice, lol~ I've been seeing his comments on every story I read, so I just decided to read a story of his, he's really talented :) Anything interesting happen today?

Reply

B. W.
03:09 Oct 28, 2020

Yeah, for my covers if thats alright or just kinda random stuff for my novels and stories if ya don't wanna do that ^^ and nice, I'm glad ya started talking with em :) and no, I don't think anything interesting happened.

Reply

Laiba M
11:54 Oct 28, 2020

Oh, okay! Sure~ Although I'd need a lot of information. I don't love doing covers and prefer doing illustrations, is that okay?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:26 Oct 27, 2020

Hey, kinda speaking of horror and all that, do ya maybe have some favorite horror movies or anything like that? I like stuff like Scream, Friday the 13th, Halloween, etc.

Reply

Laiba M
01:35 Oct 27, 2020

Ooh, those sound great! I'm not sure, honestly :)

Reply

B. W.
01:43 Oct 27, 2020

well whats one youve watched a lot or something? or do ya never really watch horror movies?

Reply

Laiba M
02:29 Oct 27, 2020

No, I watch them when I can :) Horror books, movies, clips, all of that~~ I just really like all!

Reply

B. W.
02:33 Oct 27, 2020

So, how is Tweety around the place now? does she like ya?

Reply

Laiba M
02:35 Oct 27, 2020

She seems very paranoid around us but used to the house. She's happy sitting in the cage, looking around the house, but if we come close or put our hand near the cage she'll start crazily flying around inside it. She's become great friends with Lily, though :) Since she's young, and was separated from her mother, she is very defensive and it'll take a few months to get her trained~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:47 Oct 26, 2020

I made a new story ^^ its called "He isn't real...or is he?" could you check it out and leave feedback?

Reply

Laiba M
00:46 Oct 27, 2020

Okay! Do you mind taking a look at my older stories then? Thanks~

Reply

B. W.
01:01 Oct 27, 2020

alright i will soon ^^ do ya also maybe know what NaNoWriMo is?

Reply

Laiba M
01:32 Oct 27, 2020

No, what an unusual name! What is it?

Reply

B. W.
01:33 Oct 27, 2020

I have no idea, besides that its a writing thing and some other friends have joined it :/

Reply

Laiba M
01:35 Oct 27, 2020

Huh.. never heard of it~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:23 Oct 25, 2020

Hola, you there amiga?

Reply

Laiba M
19:05 Oct 25, 2020

Yep! Very busy, but here nevertheless~~

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Oct 25, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:36 Oct 25, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
00:44 Oct 25, 2020

Hii~

Reply

B. W.
00:55 Oct 25, 2020

I made another story ^^ could you check out "ghostly fun times" ?

Reply

Laiba M
02:05 Oct 25, 2020

Sure, I'll check it out tomorrow

Reply

B. W.
02:10 Oct 25, 2020

Just by the name, could ya take a guess on what prompt I did?

Reply

Laiba M
12:32 Oct 25, 2020

The ghost celebrating Halloween for the first time?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:19 Oct 24, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2024-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.