33 comments

Drama Mystery

Sleep~ Baby sleep

 

I still remember her long fingers, stroking my hair.

 

What are you waiting forrr~

 

Wiping my stray, ugly tears..

 

The mornings on its way~

 

I still remember…

 

You know its only just a dream~

 

The day you left.

Memory~

“Come place your head right here sweetie” the lady with a maid uniform said as she patted her lap.

“Why?” Is all I responded back.

“You don’t want to hear that beautiful song you love so much?” she asked. I shook my head in a response.

“Your mom is singing it….” she said in that tempting voice..my mother.. I sighed and climbed into the chair placing my head on her lap. She placed her hand on my head, stroking my hair. Wrong. So I placed her fingers just right so that they were parallel to my memories. The lady laughed lightly..tiredly.

“Okay” she says clearing her throat.

“Sleep baby sleeeeep- WHAT are you waaaiting foooooooor-”

“NO!” I scream jumping off of her. “Your not my mother!!” I said, I thought she would be sad..I knew it was wrong. I thought she would be angry but instead she smiled that weary, old smile.

“Then where is your mom?” she asked me.

“Sh-shes coming back for me! Shes coming! She said she would!” I yelled hysterically.

“Oh, sweetie for your sake I wish that were true. But its been 2 weeks..” she says touching my cheek softly, then in a swift motion she pinches it tightly. “She is never coming back, one day you’ll understand”

I screamed because it hurt. I hated her because she was cruel, I hated her for her words..I hated her for telling me that.

I hated her, because she was right.

Present~

“Wake up!” The deep voice is a familiar one.

I gasp, my eyes fluttering open. Not again…

“Jemma, what the hell?” Alvin uses his thumb to wipe the tears from my eyes.

“I was––I’m sorry. It just… just happened,” I stammer.

“You don’t have to apologize. It’s not your fault,” he murmurs. Alvin says this every time I wake up crying. I’m not sure how he always manages to know when I’m having a nightmare.

“How do you always know when I’m crying?” I say, crossing my hands, my heart slowing to its normal pace.

“Cause you whimper like a wet puppy, and I’m a light sleeper, so my ears are literally always open,” he says, rolling his eyes.

“Did you just say I cry like a wet puppy?” I say with a smile.

“You do,” he says, smiling back.

Alvin is my best friend, my family, my everything when I had nothing. He was there with me in the orphanage. He suffered way worse than me, more worse than I can even imagine but he never speaks about it..I barely see him cry.. but I know he’s hurting somewhere.

“Was it about your parents again” he asked me slowly. I nodded. He wrapped his arms around me, hugging me softly.

“I’m here..its okay..” he says slowly. “I know” I say back into his chest.

“I’m here for you too” I say pulling away.

“Haha!” rubbing my hair. “Thanks” he says but I can tell he’s not taking my words to heart.

“Alvin I’m being serious.” I tell him.

“I am 18 now..we both are. I’m done being held back by that place, so to be honest I’m good.” he says as he stuffs his hands in his pockets, he walks over to his bed and lays back down.

As much as I want to forget that place..I can’t, I found you there Alvin, I found you there, my feelings started for you started there too. But you don’t want to be held back by the orphanage does that mean you don’t want anything to do with that place anymore.. Doesn’t that mean letting go of me?

“Good night Jemma” he calls out.

I don’t respond.

Memory~

Sleep baby sleep-!

NO!

What are you waiting for?!!-

NO!!

The mornings-

NO!!!!

I never let her sing the song…I never wanted it. I was afraid her voice would replace my mothers. I was afraid she would become my mother. There was nothing wrong with her..she was sweet, she dealt with me and my tantrums, she came by every night to try to sing to me even though I selfishly pushed her away. In some way some part of me accepted her as my mother because my other mom left me.

In my mind..I guess I thought I was punishing my real mom by accepting someone else as my mom. But turns out she didn’t care. If she cared she would have been here to pick me up, she would have came back!

One day the lady didn’t come to meet me, she didn’t check up on me. This went on for weeks. She was the only maid I talked too..so I didn’t know what to do. Had someone else left me? What was wrong about me? Did I curse everyone I came close too.

“Um…”

“Yes sweetie?” the young maid said nicely and also kind of surprised.

“Where- where is Ms. Lena…?” I asked her.

“Oh…Oh well sweetie if you just wait a couple more hours you will get to meet her..kay?” she says rubbing my head not waiting for me to respond. I also couldn’t help but notice the wash of sadness that flashed in her eyes when I asked her that.

..

The night came..and all the kids were rounded up. We walked in a straight line towards a room..where Ms. Lena laid. Weak. Too weak. Too old. Too much.

I stood there in shock. Every kid ran and hugged her except for me and Alvin. He looked upwards, trying to be strong but even I could see the tears about to drop from his eyes.

The kids spent their time talking to Ms. Lena..me and Alvin stood there like out casts..too shy, too much shock. Before I knew it, it was time to return to our rooms. The mean maid smacked both of our heads.

“You bratty kids! You had your chance to talk to Ms. Lena and you acted like this?! Come on your going to bed!”. The tears rolled down my chin as Ms. Vick picked me up angrily..

“Ahh Ms. Vick!” Ms. Lena called from her bed with a soft smile, Ms. Vick turned to her sharply.

“Leave those two here with me..they are my favorite.” Ms. Lena said.

“Ugh I just don’t get you!” Ms. Vick yelled as she dropped me on the ground. Not softly I must say.

I rubbed my bottom, wiping my eyes furiously.

“Sorry about her. She’s just a little sad” Ms. Lena said with a smile.

“Sad about what? Shes always like that” Alvin said crossing his arms.

“Yeah I suppose so..come on both of you…sit right here” she says patting the section next to her. I get up dragging my feet across the floor when I get to the bed its too high for me, so Alvin literally drags me unto the bed.

“Thanks” I mumble as I take my arms back.

“Whatever” Alvin says back.

“You too are so cute!” Ms. Lena gushed that day. We don’t say anything back.

“Why are you in bed? You look old..” Alvin said, it was the truth but it sounded somewhat rude. Ms. Lena grabs his cheek..

“Watch it” she said. “Ow..ow yes!” Alvin said in pain. She laughs and lets go.

“There is something-” her eyes look sad and she clears her throat. “There is something I didn’t tell the others. I’m telling both of you…because I know you can handle it. Am I wrong?”

“No! I am strong I can handle it!” Alvin said eager..it was the first time I had saw him happy..but why did I sense something sad.

“Good good..How about you Jemma?” she asked me. I nodded looking to the floor.

“Good…well the truth is..I will be going away for a long long time.” Ms. Lena said.

“What why?” Alvin and I asked in unison we met eyes then I looked away.

“Well sometimes..people move away. Sometimes there is a reason sometimes there is not. Sometimes they move far away on this earth. To another continent, to another country...” she said..with a thinking expression. I didn’t understand but I knew she wouldn’t explain any further than that.

“When will you be back?” I asked her. She smiled

“And then there are times when we move away from the earth.. to a whole different place. A place with no suffering. Not everyone makes it there..if your a bad kid then you go to a place with more suffering.”

“Which one are you going too.” Alvin asked..but I felt it..I knew it.

“I don’t know yet..it is not exactly my choice” she said with a soft smile. My tears dripped to my fingers as they girpped the covers.

“WHEN WILL YOU COME BACK!? DON’T GO! DON’T GO!!” I screamed..I must have been screaming so loud that..Ms. Vicky came back holding her hand over my lips.

“To answer your question..Alvin..Jemma..I won’t be coming back. You will never see my face on this earth..ever again” she said with that stupid smile..I threw up my fist trying to get her to stop, if I hit her just once maybe she will come to her senses.

Alvin sat there..in shock. His face pale.

“Stop it you brat!” Ms. Vicky yelled at me..hitting my head a couple of times. With her fist.

Why do they all leave? Why did they all leave me alone..Why? Why? Why? I slumped on the bed exhausted.

“I hate you” I breathed out..at Ms. Vicky. “I hate you all!!” I screamed running out of the room.

“Heavens! That child!” Ms. Vicky said after me.

…I sat on my bed in tears..Why did I say that? Now Ms. Lena thinks I hate her..I don’t. I don’t hate her. I don’t hate anyone.

I just wish they stayed.

My eyes closed..tiredly.

“Sleep baby sleep!-

What are you waiting for!-

The morning’s on its way!-

You know its only just a dream"

My eyes opened in surprise I know that voice. “Mother!” I called out.

“I’m not your mother, remember?” Ms. Lena said..her face bright, her wrinkles gone. She didn’t look as old as she did before.

“I––I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“I know,” she answered, smiling.

Her aura was different. More beautiful. More lovely. I took her hand gently.

“Don’t go. Please.” My heart pounded as I squeezed her hand.

“Jemma… you’re not alone anymore,” she said with a small smile.

I shook my head. “I am.”

“You’re not. I made sure of it, sweetie.” She turned, looking into a world that I could not see.

“Jemma?” She said my name softly, her eyes glazed.

“Yes?” I wiped my eyes, only for the tears to fall again.

Then she turned to me. Her smile met her eyes.

“Good-bye.”

And just like that, she disappeared. Leaving her voice behind as she sang.

“Heavens why are you screaming!?” Ms. Vicky yelled at me. She grabbed my hair pulling me to the floor.

“It is a very sad day! Its a very sad day and your making noise!” Ms. Vicky said tears dripping down her face.

I let her drag me..I didn’t feel a thing. Nothing compared to the whole in my heart. No it wasn’t a whole..my heart had a whole in it when my mom left me here. Now my heart is shattered..because the one who never left..is dead.

Well at least she left me something..

A foamed filled Rabbit. Named Len. We became close. He reminded me of Ms. Lena..but-

It wasn’t long before he left me too.

Present~

I wake up..this time its morning. My eyes feel wet I can barely blink. I must have been crying even more.

“Jemma.” Alvin called out. Since we became 18 we both moved out with the money we had. But I didn’t want to be separated from him..I was afraid his last moments would come too so I clinged onto him as tightly as I could. I made sure we had the same apartment building. So I come over to his place sometimes and sleep when I am too scared to be on my own. Or when I miss him.

I turn to him. My eyes red and puffy. Surprisingly he looks like he had been crying too.

He stares at me and hugs me again.

“You were talking about Ms. Lena in your sleep..and then I couldn’t sleep.” he says pulling away.

“I’m sorry.” I say.

“No..its fine I think I had been suppressing my memories of her too. When I needed to remember.” he said as he took off his boots.

“You went out?” I ask. He glances up at me and looks back down.

“HOW many times do I have to tell you! That's dangerous! WHAT IF YOU CRASHED!?” I screamed trying to hit him. He grabs my hand and easily turns me around.

“I went out for good reason. Sorry I should have told you.” he says close to my ear. I squeak in a girly form and jump away. Ugh stupid I say closing my eyes. Don’t get too close to him.

“Jemma…open your eyes.” Alvin says.

“Why?” I ask with a laugh.

“Just do it” and I can tell he rolled his eyes

I do as he says and when I see what is in front of me I almost faint.

“LEN!” I say jumping up and grabbing the foamed stuffed rabbit. It stinks of smoke an arm is burnt off..and it is dusty. But its Len..

“You came back..” I say looking at it tears dripping down my face. The only thing that kept me close to Ms. Lena was this thing..so when I lost it I was quite depressed. Now..Alvin found it.

Alvin stuffs his hand in his pocket with a shrug.

“Your not alone anymore” he says..I jump up and hug him tightly..

“I never was”…I blurt out. Now I get it..

I never was

Sleep~ Baby sleep~

What are you waiting forrr~

The mornings on its way

You know its only just a dreamm~

I'll lie next to youuu~

The beauty of this mess..

Is that it brings me..

Clooossee

to you

~

September 28, 2020 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

18:22 Sep 28, 2020

Ahh I had writers block all of last week..and this week I was about to give up then I got an idea! Critique-Like- EVERYTHING! I'm not explaining anything till the end. Also I won't be telling anyone to read this or anything like that just cause I think I like when its random. When someone just pops up out of nowhere with a paragraph. I enjoy that so much more. But yeah😊 ~This is not the end. Thank you for readddingg!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ru .
17:35 Oct 02, 2020

I loved this so much and Jemma's relationship with Alvin was so heartwarming. I adored Ms. Lena — and though I was sad she passed on — I'm glad she showed Jemma she's not alone. * I just thought this is where this comment belonged :) *

Reply

19:05 Oct 02, 2020

Thank youu againn!😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
06:19 Sep 29, 2020

My heart omg 💔 The orphanage setting, the emotional outburts, the sweet ending... this gave me so many feels, you have no idea. I hope you’ll be writing more emotionally intense pieces like this!

Reply

12:19 Sep 29, 2020

Thankk you so much! This means alot! And yes I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lina Oz
04:03 Sep 29, 2020

This is a very sweet and touching story. I love the aspect of including the main character’s beloved teacher in the story, and from what it sounds like, Jemma was still able to find some peace by seeing her teacher’s ghost (did I interpret that correctly?). I think that was a very touching moment in this piece and I love that you included that. A few notes: 1. The biggest advice I can give you is to look closely at your punctuation and flow. There are several places where you use two dots (..). These instances should either be an elli...

Reply

04:38 Sep 29, 2020

Wow...I am just in so much shock that you wrote all that for me..😭seriously thank you! I'm sorry if this is asking too much but could you explain okay so just to clarify on the number 1 advice. A em dash is (--) and a hyphen is (;)?? Right? And yeah I felt like I use those two dots alot. Its a bad habit I got from writing my own personal story..its like my fingers would just type it before my brain even thought about it. Also do you know any way I can learn how to correct my punctuations..I know a bunch of people have said Grammerly helps...

Reply

Lina Oz
04:51 Sep 29, 2020

Hi Ugochi, No problem! I love leaving feedback and you definitely have a great voice, so I’d love to help. A hyphen is this (ties words together): I am twenty-two years old. An em dash is this (ties ideas together): I am twenty-two years old—far too old for a birthday party. A semi-colon is this (it achieves a similar result as a period between two sentences): I am twenty-two years old; I am far too old to have a birthday party. So, a hyphen ties words together. An em dash ties ideas together. I hope that helps! I would clo...

Reply

Lina Oz
04:56 Sep 29, 2020

Also, not to market my material (I apologize), but my story “Burn the F*cking House Down” may offer you some examples for punctuation. I used the style in that story specifically so I could experiment with punctuation and flow. Feel free to read it for an example if you want.

Reply

05:09 Sep 29, 2020

Are you a teacher..are you studying to be a teacher cause you definitely pass as a teacher in my book. Thank you that makes sense I'll keep on practicing and if I were to post a story and I needed crittique could I maybe ask you?? If you don't mind that is. And okay, find published book, copy it down word for word punctuation for punctuation, then study! Got it! And its okay I was going to go check out your page and read some stories anyways..plus you gave me advice so you are welcome to self promote anyyytimme! I'll read it earlier tod...

Reply

Lina Oz
05:14 Sep 29, 2020

I’m a graduate student, and I teach English Composition for first-year university students—so I have a lot of practice! Thank you for your kind comments. I’m happy to help edit or provide constructive feedback for your work anytime; it’s what I love to do. I’ll certainly keep up with your stories; keep writing! Have a great night :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
17:51 Nov 27, 2020

The emotional plot of the story was so heart touching. Jemma's character was very strong and liked it. There was a very heart awakening site of the story. I wrote a new story please check it out and leave your feedback on it.

Reply

20:38 Nov 27, 2020

Thank you Radhika! And sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
22:06 Oct 19, 2020

I'm so glad I decided to assume that this was part one of the ones that start this way. I really love the way you tell the story; it's really poignant. I did notice a few small errors, which you can't do much about, but still: when you mean that something is missing, it's spelled hole. the w is missing. whole means complete, because it's the complete word. It's=it is, and its= belonging to it but it was mostly things like that. This is a great story, as usual, and I'm going to go read the second part right away!

Reply

22:41 Oct 19, 2020

Thank youu as always Tessa That actually helps me..the 'its' 'it's' Ive always wondered what the difference was, so thank you!! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Awwww! My heart broke when Ms. Lena left, but the ending was so wholesome! Adorable story.

Reply

18:29 Oct 18, 2020

Thankkk youuu!

Reply

Offf courseee!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
13:21 Oct 05, 2020

Ugochiiiiiiiiii!!?!?! You have 2 new stories, like 2 STORIES, and you didn’t tell me?? Why?? Did I say or do something I shouldn’t have?? Did I offend you?? I’m really sorry, if I did. I never mean to hurt you or anybody… Back to the stories, I read them both and I would say that they are two of my favourite by you. (idk why Reedsy always keep telling me that my spelling of ‘favourite’ is wrong😏) They are so nice…I can't say anything about them...why didn’t you tell me about them?? I love when you write like this, like your story ‘To ...

Reply

14:22 Oct 05, 2020

Whew thats a lott😂 Lol nooo you didn't hurt me or offend or me or anythinnngg!! Promise. I just felt like I was forcing the same people to read it over and over, and like I felt like I was starting to become a burden...(in my other comment it explains more) but yeah so I just didn't tell you..but THEN I was proven otherwise by others anddd..I 'texted' you..like yesterday and the day before, I don't know if you saw, but it was on the "Magic of Love💖"..well nevermind cause Ive seen your other comments.. Anddd whoever made this website live...

Reply

D. Shikha
17:11 Oct 05, 2020

I have many things to say but I've to sleep now so, maybe in the morning...

Reply

17:42 Oct 05, 2020

Okay! Have a good night!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:44 Sep 29, 2020

Wow, breathtaking. Seriously, no words. This was beautiful. And meaningful. Waiting for more!

Reply

04:48 Sep 29, 2020

Thank youu so much Sky!! (you still go by that nickname right??)

Reply

Sia S
04:49 Sep 29, 2020

Welcome! And yass

Reply

04:51 Sep 29, 2020

Yay!😊

Reply

Sia S
05:14 Sep 29, 2020

:)

Reply

12:22 Sep 29, 2020

Kayyy I'll read it either now or later!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
12:19 Sep 29, 2020

Hi, new story put! Kinda sad, kinda drama

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.