0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

The scratching of quill on parchment filled the small, cluttered room. Luca hunched over the desk, his fingers stained with ink, eyes squinting in the flickering candlelight. Outside, the capital city of Lumina slept, but within the walls of the Grand Library, work never ceased.

"Faster, boy," Master Thorne growled from his seat by the fire. "The Book waits for no one."

Luca bit back a sigh, dipping his quill once more. He'd been at this for hours, transcribing the day's events into the massive tome before him. The Book of Prophecy, they called it. For as long as anyone could remember, it had recorded the past, present, and future of their world with perfect accuracy.

As he wrote, Luca couldn't help but wonder about the words flowing from his pen. A trade dispute in the northern provinces, the birth of a white stag in the Whispering Woods, the appointment of a new Royal Mage. How did the Book know these things? And more importantly, how did it know what was yet to come?

"Focus, Luca," Master Thorne snapped, noticing his apprentice's wandering attention. "You've been chosen for a great honor. Don't make me regret my decision."

Luca straightened, nodding quickly. "Yes, Master. Sorry, Master."

He returned to his work, but the questions lingered. It had been three months since he'd been plucked from his life as a lowly street urchin and thrust into the world of the sacred scribes. Master Thorne had said he had "the gift" – the rare ability to hear and transcribe the Book's whispers.

It was a coveted position, one that promised a life of comfort and respect. Yet sometimes, in the dead of night when the whispers grew quiet, Luca found himself longing for the freedom of his old life.

As the candle burned low, Luca felt the familiar tingle in his fingertips that signaled the end of the day's transcription. He carefully blotted the last line and sat back, flexing his cramped hand.

"Finished, Master," he announced.

Master Thorne hauled himself up from his chair with a grunt, shuffling over to inspect Luca's work. His rheumy eyes scanned the page, nodding in satisfaction.

"Well done, boy," he said gruffly. "You're improving. Now, read the final passage aloud."

Luca cleared his throat and began to read:

"And lo, as the third moon waxes full, the Blade of Dawn shall rise from the ashes of obscurity. Wielding the Sword of Truth, he shall vanquish the Shadow King and usher in an age of light."

As the last word left his lips, Luca felt a strange warmth spread through his chest. He looked up at Master Thorne, confused by the intensity he saw in the old man's gaze.

"Do you understand the significance of what you've just read, boy?" Master Thorne asked, his voice hushed.

Luca shook his head. "It's just another prophecy, isn't it? Like the hundreds I've transcribed before?"

Master Thorne chuckled, a sound like dry leaves rustling. "Oh no, my boy. This is far more than that. This is the prophecy we've been waiting centuries for. The one that will change everything."

He pointed a gnarled finger at the page. "The Blade of Dawn. The chosen hero destined to save our world from darkness. And you, Luca, you are the one fated to transcribe his legend."

Luca's eyes widened. "Me? But I'm just... I'm no one special."

"The Book chose you for a reason," Master Thorne said firmly. "Your role in this is just as important as the hero's. You will record his deeds, shape his legend. In a way, you will help write the future of our entire world."

The weight of those words settled on Luca's shoulders like a physical thing. He looked down at the Book, its pages filled with the immutable flow of destiny. Every major event, every turning point in history, all laid out in advance.

And now, he was to be part of that grand design.

"What... what happens next?" Luca asked, his voice small.

Master Thorne smiled, an uncharacteristically gentle expression on his weathered face. "Now, we wait. The wheels of fate are already in motion. Soon, the Blade of Dawn will reveal himself, and your true work will begin."

As if on cue, a commotion erupted outside. The tolling of bells and shouts of alarm cut through the pre-dawn quiet.

Master Thorne hurried to the window, throwing open the shutters. The eastern sky was stained crimson, an unnatural, roiling storm gathering on the horizon.

"It's happening," the old scribe breathed. "The Shadow King stirs."

Luca joined him at the window, his heart pounding. The red sky reflected in his wide eyes as the enormity of what was coming crashed over him.

This was it. The beginning of the prophecy. The start of a predestined chain of events that would shape the fate of their entire world.

But as he watched the panicked citizens in the streets below, a small voice in the back of Luca's mind whispered a dangerous question:

What if the Book was wrong?

He pushed the thought away, focusing instead on what he knew to be true. The Book of Prophecy had never been wrong before. It had guided their civilization for centuries. Who was he, a mere scribe's apprentice, to question its wisdom?

"Come, boy," Master Thorne said, already gathering scrolls and inkwells. "We must prepare. The hero will need guidance, and it falls to us to provide it. Every step of his journey must be recorded, every deed transcribed. The fate of our world depends on it."

Luca nodded, falling into the familiar routine. As he helped pack their supplies, his eyes kept straying to the Book of Prophecy, still open on the desk. The words he had transcribed seemed to glow with an inner light, pulsing in time with his heartbeat.

 Rise from the ashes of obscurity...

For a moment, Luca could have sworn he saw his own name written in those flowing lines. But that was impossible. He was no hero, just the chronicler of one. His path was set, his role defined.

Wasn't it?

As the first rays of the blood-red sun spilled into the room, Luca made a silent vow. He would fulfill his duty, transcribe the hero's journey faithfully. But he would also watch, and listen, and question. And if the moment ever came when the Book's whispers fell silent...

Well, perhaps then it would be time to pick up the quill and write his own destiny.

Little did Luca know, as he stepped out into the dawn of a new age, that his decision to question fate would set in motion events that would reshape the very fabric of their world. The Blade of Dawn's legend was about to begin – but it was Luca's choices that would truly change everything.

July 19, 2024 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.