1 comment

Fantasy Romance


                       <<Violet>> 

The trees reached toward the sky as if praying for a way out of the forest. I run up one of them with sturdy branches while the wolves whimper at the bottom, I see their eyes and I hope soon that this chase would end. I miss my home and most of all I miss luke who convinced me to go with my dad to witch mountain because he would be in Florida this week and he didn't want me to be lonely. The wolves finally whimper and scurry away and I finally can lay back on the tree and figure out what I will do, AHHH!

     I hear as I wake up with a jolt and the dream, the scream was what woke me up. It was the scream of my father in his tent two nights ago when the wolves attacked, He was sleeping and I heard a howl and went to look just in time to see a teenage boy jump into a waterfall as the wolves tried to bite him and when they realized they lost their prey they went into my dads' tent where the scream was all I heard and I was gone. I climb down from the tree as tears stream down my face and I decide to go hike down to the bottom of the waterfall so I can drink some water with the straw that purifies water, I was smart enough to grab the survival kit before I ran but a coward for leaving my father to die. My phone died even though I had it on the portable charger, I can still see Luke's message saying "I miss you already violet." I can also picture him lying on the beach, without me, Creaaakk! I whip around and see the teenager who is probably 2 years older than me staring back at me with pale skin and red eyes. Vampire, I only ever read about them in books of witch mountain but they were only folk tales to scare kids, No this is real. I don't have time to think before I feel dizzy and then I hear a beep, My phone has charged! 

     I run again so I can run up another tree to call for help. He doesn't do anything but stare as his pale face darkens as the night grows on. I rip out my phone but no reception the only thing I can get is luke's social media page since he has it on private and doesn't require internet, I scroll down and see pictures of him and me, I scroll down more and then I stop dead in my tracks as I see him on the beach kissing a girl. I let out a shocked gasp as I scroll down more and more. He only wanted me to go on the trip so he could cheat on me and since I would be gone a month then he thought that I didn't have his personal social media site. I curl into a ball and cry, I hear a thump as I look up and see an Outline of the vampire next to me, I jump and have to catch myself before I fall off the branch. I say in a shaky voice "what do you want with me?".

      He doesn't say anything but stares at me, now I am freaking out until his soft voice says "I saw you running from the werewolves so I followed you and I didn't mean to make you cry I just was wondering what you were doing on vampire territory." I glare and this time more confidently say "I saw you at the waterfall before you jumped, and what is Vampire territory?" he chuckles softly and says "yes this is where the northern vampire tribe lives up on those houses on the hills. I was hunting when the wolves were surrounding me and I smelt your blood so I had to leap into the water to control myself".                                                                        I nod and he says almost immediately after His sentence ended " we are millions of miles away from civilization and vampires can run the distance and not die we would get figured out quickly, anyway I can take you to my family and they could help get you food." British accent, oof I think I am in a coma, "that sounds wonderful, thank you". He Grabs me and put me on his back and 

He is running and jumping through the trees in a second and then before I have time to blink we're at a hidden house filled with windows all around. Two men come out and ask the boy what happened and then he took me in and brought me to a room with a bed that looked like it has never been slept on and books everywhere. The boy says "This is my room, I am jake by the way" I gawk at him "what?" he asks. "The bed is untouched and it is huge!" he chuckles as a girl who looks about 5, so 11 years younger than me and jake looks either 20-18. She gives me a tray of food I thank her as she leaves and I eat, more like gorge myself with the food since I didn't eat dinner and the events of today have been unbearable and painful. I yawn and he asks me "what's your name?"

"My name is violet", I take out my camo back with all of the survival gear I need and I look for my phone then I realize it's not there so I look in my front pocket and see the crushed up remains. Jake follows my gaze and see's the crushed-up remains and says "I'm surprised you're still together even though I tried to go gentle. I go over to the shelf and see a player for a disc and hit play, It plays piano songs which makes sense why there is a piano downstairs. It plays classical in a beautiful melody as I close my eyes. It reminds me of twilight and the way Edward looked at Bella kind of like jake looked at me. This feels like the story but if only life was like that, you give your heart to a boy and pledge your love as he goes to Florida to cheats on me! I don't realize the coldness of Jake's body an inch from mine as he wipes my tears and turns off the radio. "are you ok", I look up and he is hovering above me. I nod and say "it's just been a stressful few hours. Why are you controlled now but not earlier jake?" I eagerly changed the subject and he replies " you weren't bleeding earlier" as he gently but quickly grabs my wrist where I got scraped only hours before by a rock when my dad and I were fishing. Yawn and he leads me to the untouched bed and as I crawl under the covers he turns to leave and I blurt out "won't you stay with me?

   I need to know more about you like your age" I can tell he smiles as he turns around and answers "I'm 17 and I'm guessing your 16, yes I will stay though I do prefer, not to be too close because my skin is made of ice and though my desire for blood is overwhelming so is being close to you". I nod but don't give up "why is being close to you overwhelming" this time he closes his mouth and doesn't answer just sits on the bed by my feet and watches me.

                       <<Jake>>

I see her stomach rise and fall and see her moving soon after and then she is shaking and I touch her shoulder to wake her from the dreaded nightmare as she jolts awake from my cold touch her body is soaked with sweat and she starts crying. I can't do anything but watch because I'm afraid that if I touch her sweat-soaked arm I will get the smell of her blood and I have been a vampire for 8 years and I still find it hard to be around anyone but she is different I crave her blood but also something else that is stronger, I crave her...Lips, her body, I crave her.

      She finally after 3 minutes she looks around and wipes her eyes as she moves towards me and I ask "what is wrong ?" She silently says "my dad got attacked by the wolves that you were being chased by and when they realized that they didn't get you they turned toward my dad's tent and.." I slowly look down and apologize but she stops me with another weep and then as soon as she looks at me she asks "why are your eyes red? Don't they change like in the books?" I laugh but it's bitter and low "no, they don't change but everything else is true, have you ever read twilight? My sister has and everything in there is true but the eye color and the superpowers, we are all the same but some are stronger or faster than others." she stares at me and says "yes I have read twilight, what time is it?" I get up and run downstairs to my adopted parents and look at the stove as it reads:3:00, I run back upstairs and tell her the time and I sit at the end of the bed and she kicks the blanket off and asks curiously "is it true your skin is as cold as ice?" I nod and she crawls over to me and lays on top of me and says "uhhh! I was dying in those blankets" the only thing that is not covered by her warm body is my head and as soon as she lays on me I'm shocked and as soon as she lets out the cry of relief I put my head on hers and she is instantly back to sleep.

     Through the night she is soundless and without nightmares but she does have a shiver so I put the blanket that has now fallen off the bed slowly so I don't wake her and rest the blanket on her fragile body, as soon as I do I hear tiny footsteps as Lilly my adopted sister comes in and looks at me and smiles kindly. She does have a basket and sets it down softly and says "I'm guessing she's sleeping but when she wakes up Eli asked me to ask you if you want to come with us to hunt? My 5-year-old vampire body can only take so much".


    I roll my eyes as she uses her age all the time and a little annoyed say" no, Eli will take you and close the door, I want her to rest Lilly" she giggles and says "we both know you want more than that" I shoot her a glance and with that she's gone, not even an hour later the sun peaks up and sensing the light violet awakes and at first she doesn't do anything but lay there and I wrap my arms around her and then she speaks in a sleepy voice "good morning, thank you for letting me sleep here for the night I better get home". I hide my sadness because I don't know how to tell her that which mountain can only be flown in and there is no society but my family here and the next plane doesn't arrive in 4 months and I don't want her to get up out of my grasp if anything I want to bring my lips down to hers and kiss her and hold her forever right here in my arms. "What's wrong?" I tell her what I was thinking except the part where I don't want her to get out of my arms and how I want to kiss her. She nods and I can see the pain in her face but then as soon as it came it vanished and she gets up and stretches and the way the sun bounces off of her tan skin and the way her brown eyes look at me in not pity or scared but full of wonder. She sees the basket and asks "is this for me?" I look in the basket and see brand new clothes from the oak lodge store and say "I guess so" she thanks me and asks if she could take a shower and I lead her away and turn around with all my dignity fighting the urge to not leave her side.

                           <<Violet>>

    I walk into the bathroom which looks clean and is beautiful so I turn on the shower and I do see shampoo that is in the trash; so they do take showers I get in and feel the warm water splash my skin and I look around and see a shampoo bottle and a soap bottle not opened so I open them and use them and it feels so nice to have the water splash my skin and I can't help my mind from wandering to last night and jakes cool skin and the way I woke up with his arms gently around me, I can't help but felt the need to kiss him, I know that he probably has a girlfriend and he is 17 and hot with his black hair, red eyes, and pale skin. But something inside of me had my hope that he would love me..stop, you just found out that your boyfriend cheated on you and unless your dying to cry your heart out then you need to realize that he will never love you and if he does he will get bored of you just like luke did and then it will be too late. I quickly clean my hair and get out and dry myself up and find a note in the basket so I pick it up and read:

    My name is Rose, I am Jake's adopted mom and I thought that you would be 16 by the way you looked so I went shopping off of what the storekeeper said. I hope these fit.-rose.

I put the note on the side and pull out a red shirt, black jeans and a black lace bra and underwear, and quickly dress, I brush my hair after I finished up and it took a minute because below the makeup there was a bag at the very bottom filled with combs and toothpaste. As soon as I get out I return to Jake's room and set the basket down as I do I see him on the bed and I go over to him and say "thank you, for everything. I think I can go back out in the woods". He runs and grabs my arm lightly and I can't speak as his cold skin lays on mine he almost begs "no, please stay here with me I don't want you getting hurt, no I won't let you out on your own. I want you to stay here with me and the answer to your question about why being close to you is overwhelming is because I like you, I want to kiss you and I don't want you to ever leave. I realized it as you slept last night and I may not be the best person and you don't have to love me back, I have seen so many girls but you are different so please stay."



April 14, 2021 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kyra Wilson
15:34 Apr 16, 2021

part 2 is coming out today

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.