24 comments

High School Teens & Young Adult Drama

Nina

The walls are booming all around me with the voices of unknown rappers and crappy pop singers. Arms are swaying above at least two-hundred heads, and everyone is singing at the top of their lungs, no doubt making their throats burn and scratch. No one cares, though. Especially not me. I scream lyrics I don’t know and whip my hair until my neck feels like it’s going to break. My heartbeat syncs up with the beat of the speakers and I feel euphoric. This is what freedom must feel like, I think, smiling ear to ear and letting out a loud whoop.

I turn to Jake who is swaying his red solo cup above his head, making liquid swish and tip over the side. I yell, “I’m going to get another drink!” He holds a cupped hand to his ear, still dancing, and I roll my eyes. I point to the kitchen behind him and he nods, yelling something that sounds like I have to pee or get me one too, probably both.

I push past him and about fifty other sweaty bodies and make my way to the kitchen. It’s filled with cow-shaped kitchen utensils from saltshakers to cookie jars. I screw my nose up and begin looking for the blue cooler holding the sodas. There’s a pair of white sneakers swinging above the cooler when I finally find it. “Um, excuse me? Your dirty sneakers are blocking the drinks,” I say with snark and glance up. I swallow hard when I see the platinum blonde girl that the white sneakers are attached to. I know my face is beet red and I try to push it back, however impossible it is. My best friend from ages six to fifteen is seated atop the marble counter swinging her sneakers back and forth lazily. She’s sipping from a Pepsi can and condensation droplets are running down her fingers.

“Hey, Nina,” she says, shyly. We haven’t spoken to each other since sophomore year and I find myself at a loss for words.

“Mallory, what—” I clear my throat. Why am I nervous? “What are you doing here? I didn’t think you were into parties.” It comes out harsher than I mean it and I put on my signature sweet smile to lighten it up a bit.

She’s not fazed. Same as always. “I’m not, but it’s the last party of senior year, so. Why not?”

“Yeah, hard to believe, huh? Senior year flew by,” I say, half wishing the conversation would be over already.

“That it did,” She whispers, nodding. It’s silent for a minute. Then two minutes. I debate leaving, but her feet are still over the cooler. However, no drink is better than this agony. I begin to turn when she sighs. “Remember when we used to fantasize about high school parties in eighth grade? Always wondering if they were as wild as they portrayed them in the movies.”

I’m not looking at her, but I can hear the smile in her voice, reminiscing about simpler times. The mention of our friendship catches me off guard and all I can respond back is, “Yeah.”

“Do you think they are? As perfect as the movies, I mean.”

I look at her this time, knowing she’s referring to more than just the parties. I shrug. “I think so, yeah,” I say, matter-of-factly.

Mallory stares at me for a long time. Her brown eyes are almost black, a stark contrast with her pale hair. She smiles a closed lip smile. “I’m glad,” she says. Her gaze shifts downwards, and she removes her dangling feet from above the cooler, giving me full access.

For some odd reason, it feels like a trick. Like if I go to grab a drink, she’ll pounce on me and demand answers as to why our friendship ended. To be honest, I am not completely sure myself. We started high school, I got involved with the popular crowd, she didn’t. Simple as that. Thinking back on it, a surge of anger bubbles in the pit of my stomach and all I want is to get out of there. I roll my shoulders, shaking off imaginary dust, and strut over to the cooler. I grab a can of Pepsi, keeping my stare level with her own, and walk right out of the kitchen.

Maybe there’s a part of us that always will be best friends. The part that shared secrets and gave each other makeovers. But not now. Now, we’re two different people.

***

Mallory

I walk into the kitchen, kneading my temples to push back a throbbing headache. “This is why I don’t come to high school parties,” I mutter to myself, still hearing the boom boom boom of the speakers. There’s a cooler lying underneath a marble counter and I walk over to it, grabbing a chilled Pepsi can. I crack it open and prop myself on the counter, swinging my legs back and forth while take sips of the soda.

I am not entirely sure why I came to the party tonight, if it is because I simply want to see what it’s like or because my mother wouldn’t stop griping about how I never leave the house. Probably both. However loud it is, it is nice to be away from my mother and whatever helpless man she brought home tonight.

“Um, excuse me? Your dirty sneakers are blocking the drinks.” I didn’t see anyone come in and the voice startles me. I glance down and see a girl with dark brown hair and striking green eyes. There’s a small stud in her left nostril but other than that, she hasn’t changed one bit since we were fifteen. Her face is tomato red when she recognizes me, and her eyes grow wider by the second.

“Hey, Nina,” I say, feeling momentarily embarrassed. It’s been nearly two years since we’ve last spoken to each other and the last time was nothing but screaming and crying. Screaming that she left me for people who did not even care about her, that she left me for shallow, temporary fame of being a part of the popular crowd. I suppose it is silly now, but the words we said to each other left a lasting imprint.

It takes her a few seconds to respond, mouth opening and closing. “Mallory, what—” She clears her throat and recovers her composure, replacing the dumbfounded look with a picture-perfect smile. “What are you doing here? I didn’t think you were into parties.”

The words come out as an accusation, but I let them roll over me. “I’m not, but it’s the last party of senior year, so. Why not?” I don’t let her in on the fact that my mother practically pushed me out, knowing she wouldn’t care.

She says something about high school flying by and I agree. It’s silent. Her eyes dart around the kitchen, landing on several of the cute cow figurines decorating the kitchen. A memory in the back of my mind floats to the surface without warning. One where we are snuggled in ratty sleeping bags in Nina’s bedroom, flashlights illuminating our faces. We were only thirteen at the time and we were fantasizing about high school. I asked her if she thought it was going to be just like the movies. She said she believed it was and if it wasn’t, she was dropping out the day they got there. It was only a few short weeks after that sleepover that she got invited to her first high school party and I didn’t. I sigh long and heavy, feeling the weight of our long-lost friendship like never before. I smile sadly and ask her about that very memory, to see if it sparks anything in her.

Her head whips to face me, caught off guard, and she simply responds, “Yeah.” Her face is blank, emotionless.

I decide to push farther. “Do you think they are? As perfect as the movies, I mean.”

I watch as her green eyes darken, and I realize I’m referring to something deeper. Do you think it was worth losing your best friend? “I think so, yeah,” she barks, shrugging.

My heart hardens at her words. Whatever I thought might change in her after seeing me was gone. “I’m glad,” I say. I give a tight, close-lipped smile and move out of the way so she can reach the cooler. She wastes no time and we hold a stare before she marches out of the kitchen.

I get up soon after her, pushing my way through a sea of people and out the front door. Maybe there is a part of us that always will be best friends. The part that shared secrets and gave each other makeovers. But not now. Now, we are two different people.

May 07, 2020 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Patricia Green
00:30 May 15, 2020

Sounds so real, because it happens all the time. I lost all my friends from School, they just went in a different direction. Good story.

Reply

Maggie Deese
00:40 May 15, 2020

I'm sorry you had to go through that with your friends. That's an awful feeling. Thank you for reading, though! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
13:45 May 12, 2020

This is short and bitter-sweet, but extremely realistic which I appreciate. Friendships, especially high school friendships are really complicated for a bunch of reasons and I love how you brought that out in a non-cliche manner. I also loved your use of repetition in both perspectives. The thoughts of the characters matched perfectly with their personalities and their dialogue had me engaged the entire time. Amazing job!

Reply

Maggie Deese
15:41 May 12, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jessica ✰
18:23 May 10, 2020

Maggie, I enjoyed the length of this story. It's sad, and sometimes friendships end, but I'm glad that the girls still talked to each other. It gives me an example of the friend that I want to be to others.

Reply

Maggie Deese
18:29 May 10, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment, Jessica! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. Y. R
23:03 May 08, 2020

It's so bitter-sweet, I really liked the two different perspectives on the broken friendship, you've really captured the harsh reality well in your writing!

Reply

Maggie Deese
23:18 May 08, 2020

Thank you!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
15:52 May 08, 2020

A very realistic story. And I loved the way it ended- with hope.

Reply

Maggie Deese
16:02 May 08, 2020

Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark Jackson
19:44 May 07, 2020

A great YA story that intrigued me right from the opening. You chose a challenging prompt, one I was scared to attempt but you make it work for you. The dialogue is great and I truly got a sense of not only the age of the characters but also their differing levels of maturity. A fantastic read overall.

Reply

Maggie Deese
20:04 May 07, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind comment!! I was debating doing this prompt, but sometimes the challenging ones are exactly the ones you should do. I'm so glad you got a sense of the characters as well! I was hoping for that. Thank you again, Mark!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.R. Eakle
10:59 May 07, 2020

This might be my favorite one from this prompt yet. I love how you incorporated the same ending thoughts for both characters. Great work!

Reply

Maggie Deese
12:10 May 07, 2020

Wow, thank you so much! I honestly wrote this on a whim yesterday evening and debated submitting it, but I'm glad I did! Thank you!

Reply

A.R. Eakle
12:44 May 07, 2020

Really, I think that’s what these are for. Sometimes that’s all it takes, is just writing.

Reply

Maggie Deese
14:06 May 07, 2020

That's very true!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruth Porritt
06:15 May 07, 2020

p.s. I also enjoyed the differing POVs. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ruth Porritt
06:14 May 07, 2020

Hello Maggie, LOL, I just realized I named my main character after you in my last short story! (Truly, your name is one of my favorite names for a heroine.) I enjoyed this story because you attracted the reader's interest instantly, with the wonderful opening paragraph. (Beautifully done.) I also enjoyed this story because of the characters, and because of the delicious intrigue that you are setting up. Is this the beginning of a novel? (If it is, I would honestly buy this novel.) Thanks, and have a great day, Ruth

Reply

Maggie Deese
12:09 May 07, 2020

Haha, I've actually seen my name used a lot for characters on this site! Thank you so much for your comment! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I honestly wrote this on a whim yesterday evening but I really liked the characters, so maybe it will turn into a novel! Who knows? Thanks again, Ruth!

Reply

Ruth Porritt
06:43 May 08, 2020

My pleasure! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sadia Faisal
08:00 May 25, 2020

nice story, please like my story if you like it and follow me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kathleen March
15:58 May 09, 2020

Loss of friendship is never easy. Would it seem more final if the story ended with the word kitchen?

Reply

Maggie Deese
16:01 May 09, 2020

Possibly, but I wanted to end both of their sections with the same thought. That way it showed how alike they actually are with their thoughts.

Reply

Kathleen March
01:37 May 10, 2020

I totally get what you are saying, but the same thought can be communicated without saying it clearly. Readers intuit the meaning. Of course it is your story and I am not being critical, but in my own writing I was often told to eliminate the final words. It's hard and you should never do what doesn't feel right.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.