Different Kinds of Magic

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

58 comments

Kids

On a warm and sunny morning, the slight wind blew Dalhia's long and soft golden hair while she was reading a book. She was 16 years old and she was the most beautiful girl according to many. She had always been joyful, spreading light and happiness to those around her. It amazed others because it seemed so special. She was in fact special; beautiful magic ran through her veins. Wherever she passed, the grass would look greener, and the flowers would bloom. Life followed her, her magic bringing nature around her to life. Focused on her reading, little did she know that a boy about her age was watching her in the shadow of a tall tree, hidden from view.

The boy, Cyrus, did not want to scare the pretty girl away, but he knew he would. In his case, it was death that followed him wherever he went, and a dark magic moved inside him. His black hair moved in front of his dark eyes when a gust of wind passed by. He should not stay or the tree near him would die soon. He was surprised it even was still alive and well. Nature usually died pretty fast around him. He wished there was no such thing as magic; although he knew it was wonderful for many people, he hated it. Humans are lucky, they don't have magic. But Cyrus was a Fae, a magical being born with a gift, like the girl, except his magic was not a gift. It was a curse.

Dalhia rose from her seat and put her book away. The boy was about to leave, but she saw him before he could disappear in the shadow. She approached him, ready to greet him happily, while he was scared because he knew she would run away from him as soon as she would feel the horribly dark magic emanating from him. He stepped back, worried, and the girl still came closer until she was two feet away. His breath was short, so many people hated him for a power he hadn't chosen.

"Hello, what's your name?" She gave him the prettiest smile he had seen.

"Hey, I'm Cyrus. You?" He tried to smile back, and, surprisingly, it must have worked since her smile grew bigger if it was even possible. Dalhia thought he was shy, but still handsome.

"What were you doing here?"

"Oh, I was just enjoying the nature of the place." As soon as he said that, he realized that nature hadn't died around him for once. It stayed the same. Dalhia, however, noticed that the nature around did not become more colored nor did the flowers bloom.

"I was reading a book. Would you like to sit?" And so, both of them sat on the bench and went on talking for hours, both their magic not showing. For the first time, Cyrus made a friend, and Dalhia felt appreciated for who she was instead of being admired for her magic.

***

When Dalhia came home during the evening, her parents asked her where she had been. She knew they would not like that she was with a boy, but she also knew she could not lie to them. Her mom had the gift to taste lies while her dad felt the different kinds of magic. Her dad could tell which specific magical powers had been in contact with her, which means he would probably know who the boy was. They hadn't talk about their magic earlier and she was a bit curious to know what magic he carried with him. She narrated her day with the sweet Cyrus.

"What magic runs through him?" her dad asked.

"I don't know, we did not talk about it" she answered.

"May I?" asked his dad, a hand lifted towards her. She took his hand and her father's face twisted in horror.

"You should stay away from him, his magic is one of the darkest I have ever felt. He brings death."

The young girl was surprised, but refused to think of the boy as a wicked person. After all, he did not choose his power.

***

The next day, Dalhia went back to the bench where she met Cyrus the day before. He was also there, sitting on the bench, but as she approached, she saw the dying grass and the rotten flowers surrounding him. She went on walking though, until she faced him. He lifted his gaze at her, his eyes filled with shame.

"I thought it might be more honest if you knew what i really am" he said, staring at her before dropping his gaze again. She sat next to him and took his hand.

"You are right, it's honest. But that doesn't define who you are, and it doesn't change what I think of you." The boy was amazed by the girl's kindness.

"You really think that, or you are just being nice?" he asked with half a smile.

"I am totally sincere, I saw how nice you were yesterday. You are my friend, no matter your magic. I know you did not choose it and I know your heart is pure." She smiled and winked at him.

"Maybe more than friends?" he said, half-joking.

"We'll see" she answered with a smirk.

"So, do you think our powers don't show because they cancel each other when we're around?" he asked hopefully. If he was right, he could feel normal around her, and the guilt of destroying nature would ease. He was still worried he would be a burden to her though, but truth is, Dalhia could be herself around him instead of being defined by her magic.

"I think that might be the case. You know, I was always worried people liked me for my power that brings life. But you did not know, which means you like me for who I am." Her cheeks blushed and she bit her bottom lip; she was shy. He let out a small laugh.

***

One year later, their bond was the definition of a strong and true friendship, and they were enjoying every minute they spent together. Although her parents did not like Cyrus very much in the beginning, they began to accept him and to see him as who he really was.

Dalhia and Cyrus were at a drive-in theater and the stars were shining above them. The movie was a classic Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, and, at the end of the movie, they stayed in the car to watch the stars.

"Who would have thought that the bearer of deadly magic would end up being a friend to the bearer of lively magic?" Cyrus told her, fixing his gaze on her light green eyes. She looked back at him and chuckled.

"Who would have thought that life would fall in love with death?" His heart skipped a beat, and, after a few seconds, he leaned in and kissed her.


May 29, 2020 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

58 comments

15:46 Sep 17, 2020

Beautiful!! :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
19:01 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you so much!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
16:45 Sep 08, 2020

GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
20:49 Sep 08, 2020

Thanks a lot!!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
16:43 Sep 22, 2020

Wait, is this the same Cyrus as the one from “Powerless Prince?" Just checking to make sure. If it is, is it before Sierra? Great story, btw. Well done!

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
18:18 Sep 22, 2020

Thank you, you are so nice! Honestly, I forgot that I named another character Cyrus! It isn't the same character, but I guess it easily could have been! Thanks for pointing it out!

Reply

Ariadne .
18:18 Sep 22, 2020

Sure! Don't mention it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:14 Oct 19, 2020

Nice story, I liked the emphasis on how some gifts are not chosen, but our actions are. It was interesting that the two different magics cancelled each other out and the two could just be people around each other, and from what I could tell that was all that they wanted.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:17 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you enjoyed it!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tithi Banerjee
15:21 Oct 19, 2020

Loved the last line, "Who would have thought that life would fall in love with death?". This is beautiful and such a light and breezy read ❤️

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
16:22 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you so much, I'm glad to hear it! I love this line too!❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Indivara A.S.
07:57 Jul 05, 2021

This is a beautiful story! I love it so much! :) Keep writing and keep up those amazing stories!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
00:45 Oct 22, 2020

Once again, this get's a 10/10 from me :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
17:04 Oct 22, 2020

Thanks, I'm just about to go read your newest story!:)

Reply

B. W.
17:38 Oct 22, 2020

No problem ^^ so how is it coming with the thing?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
19:15 Oct 22, 2020

I'm still in the thinking phase and I'll probably start the writing tomorrow!:)

Reply

B. W.
19:25 Oct 22, 2020

thats fine ^^ i know itll be good though ^^

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
22:45 Oct 22, 2020

Great, thanks!:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
01:46 Oct 21, 2020

You frontload a lot of information. One thing which can speed this sort of thing up without losing context is to shift between first person (say for Cyrus) and third person (for Dahlia). Start with Cyrus watching the beautiful girl, but tell it first person. "She's so beautiful, but I don't dare get close or I'll kill her like I do everything else." You can let Dahlia's dad tell her he has death magic. Of course the Reedsy version is set in stone, but you could do a complete rewrite and end up with a different story.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
12:13 Oct 21, 2020

Thank you for the advice! I hadn’t even considered this possibility when I wrote it! I will definitely keep this in mind in the future!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:32 Oct 20, 2020

another 10/10 :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:30 Oct 20, 2020

Thanks a lot (again)!:)

Reply

B. W.
21:32 Oct 20, 2020

No problem ^^ were you possibly writing stuff before ya joined reedsy?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:35 Oct 20, 2020

Not really, I started pretty much with Reedsy! Why?:)

Reply

B. W.
22:01 Oct 20, 2020

I dunno, a lot of people on here when they make their first story or just really any of their stories, it feels like they've been writing even longer before joining this place. Your just really good at it ^^

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
22:29 Oct 20, 2020

Aww thanks! You're great too! And there must be some people who have been writing before too!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:41 May 06, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.