Long Winters

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Romance

I linger in the shadows of the cavern filled with stories. People barely walk in here. Just me and Ruth the librarian. The sun never rises in this season. It's the long winter and the nights last for days. I make my way to the forbidden book aisle, grazing the book spins with my fingertips. I come across a black book with flowers etched on the edges. The fire dragon symbol stares at me, calling on to me. I open it eagerly, feeling the crisp dirty brown pages. Words written in black calligraphy, with not a single mistake. Written by a man of the East I presume. The language is too sophisticated to come from here.

I sit beside the crackling fires with my short bob tied in a red ribbon. I tend to dress in darker colors nowadays after I was discovered earlier. But my ribbon stays forever. I absorb the Latin words, grateful that my mother forced me to learn. I glance up at Ruth reading A Handmaid's Tale. She's an old woman with pure white hair and blue eyes. One thing you must know is that I don't trust anyone, I see that woman every day and I trust her the least. I used to trust a man. A warrior in fact. He betrayed me for his newly found 'loyalty'.

Since I was a child, my teachers told me myths and legends about The Ark. The Ark being a kingdom with Lords, bards, whores, drunks and warriors. Warriors fighting a rebellion with no end in sight. But more importantly they taught me about the creatures beyond the barrier. The mermaids, pixies, fairies and dragons. I’m not necessarily from here but I know enough. This library is the only place I’m welcome. I should have mentioned this earlier. I am not human. Not completely. I have dragon blood pumping in my veins. As you can guess, dragons aren’t welcome. I doubt Ruth cares though. She’s not very observant, her glasses are as thick as they make them. I turn back to the book, looking for answers.

The dragon child lies among us. It has come to burn our children and slaughter our women. As warriors we must…’

It goes on about the superiority of men with sharp swords and shiny armor. I don’t believe I’m here to burn children or slaughter women. I’m here to take back what is rightfully mine. The man in possession of it will walk through that door any minute now…

Now. He looks a little different that the last I saw of him. Before he had short blond hair with one single braid. He wore a handful of rings and his pride like armor. The bards sang of him all night long while he bathed in his own glory.

Oh, here comes the mighty,

The fierce and the brave

He kills the beasts.

He charms the women,

Oh, here come The Knight.

 The Knight of Beasts’

Today he has dark hair, long and uncombed. His beard growing thicker. Almost unrecognizable. Almost, but I never forget a face. Especially not his. He’s buff and carries his sword at his side. He wears a long coat. Possibly for the cold, or he’s hiding. Who could dare make the great Knight of Beasts so afraid? Never mind that. I’ve been waiting for him for quite some time now. Unfortunately for me, he’s sober. He walks to the forbidden book aisle and removes a book called The Oceanic Legends. A good read but a long one, nonetheless. He takes a seat opposite from me, barely noticing me. He sits there quietly reading.

“So, you’re The Knight of Beasts?” I ask.

He glances at me and pulls his hood further covering his face.  Still quiet.

“I remember you being a blond drunk. I also remember your reluctancy to leave a woman alone. And suddenly you can’t bare to utter a word?” I ask again, provoking him this time.

He rises, fed up with my disturbance. I can tell he isn’t planning on coming back here. I can’t lose this chance. I simply can’t afford to.

“Wait. The King says hello among other things.” This catches his attention. He is still a warrior, loyal to the throne.

He sits back down waiting for anything worthy of his time. I came here on behalf of the mad old king, sitting up on his high horse with prostitutes galore. Bathing in the gold he steals from noble taxpayers.  However, I am only human with my own selfish needs. Forgive me my honorable King.

“If the King wanted to speak to me, he would have sent his right hand. I don’t know who you are, but I know you have no business with the King.” He finally replies.

“You’re Noah Beckham of Ark. You mother died giving birth and your deep-in-debt father sold you for measly gold coins. You were raised by warriors and became one yourself. You earned the name Knight of Beasts after being one of the youngest men to defeat the most gruesome, merciless beasts. I also know you do killings for a small buck nowadays. I’m here on behalf of the king and only the King, you and I know I work for him. Do you believe me now?”

He nods sitting back ready to hear more. I continue speaking but I realize he is no longer listening. He’s glaring at me. Unfolding my corners with his eyes. The King warned me he would do this, and seeing it firsthand makes me on edge. Nevertheless, I pass the message from the king. Now it’s time to get my affairs in order. Beauty is all a woman has in this world. I intend to use it to get the necklace he bares on his chest. The ruby necklace laced around is the shape of the fire dragon in gold. It’s mine. Well technically not ‘mine’ per say but mine more than his.

I stand and edge closer to him, wearily but remembering the purpose. I sit on his lap and he adjusts slightly. His rugged beard and long hair suit him. He looks me in the eye. As I’m about to kiss him he says:

“Now I understand,” he begins, “Your half dragon, aren’t you? Dragon blood beauty is captivating but dangerous to say the least. If you want the necklace, then you might as well kill me for it.” He reveals.

I hold my blade to his neck while he holds his to mine just as fast. The fire still burns beside us. I stare in envy at the wood crumbling in its heat. Back to the Knight, I pull my blade down and throw it on the floor, he cautiously does the same. Here we are, unarmed and sober. He’s figured me out and no more corners left to cut for me.

“That necklace belongs to me Noah, I can’t leave without it in my arms.”

“Then don’t. Don’t leave.” 

April 24, 2021 20:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yolanda Wu
08:40 May 09, 2021

I feel like I've just read the prologue to an epic fantasy novel! I can't say anything except, I want more! The world and characters you've created are so interesting, I want to learn all about them! Especially the main character with her dragon blood and Knight of Beasts, as well as the necklace. Your writing and descriptions are crisp, and you definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. All the elements you've included are what I love to read in fantasy! This was such a great first submission! I hope you continue posting on here, and you ca...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.