Tusks and Dagger Part Eleven: The Fight for a Friend

Written in response to: Write about someone who needs to face their past in order to move forward.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Mary was sitting up alone, insomnia apparently hating on her as well.  Scooting closer over to her, she was still in a numb state of staring off into space. Tapping her shoulder, she leapt a couple of feet into the air.  

“Can’t sleep either?” I asked gently, scarlet burning her cheeks. “You looked troubled.” Spinning her hair into a large side bun, her green eyes dimmed with sadness. Crossing her hands on her lap, she gripped her white crystal blade tightly. Secrets lay underneath her eyes, a sweet smile masking her internal pain. 

“Isn't it the night of your wedding?” She inquired oddly, looking over at the slumbering Boran. “Isn’t it supposed to be magical?” Laughing to myself, we both smiled warmly at each other. Taking her hand, she snatched away.  Hurt flashed in my eyes, the urge to help her out plaguing me.  

“You can tell me anything.” I promised honestly, her reaction telling me that no ever said such words to her before. “Mina, the woman who raised me told me to always have open ears to someone else’s strife. Unload all of your pain onto me if you have to. I am here for everyone in my gr-” The pond behind us gurgled, a tall spirit made of water snatched Mary from next to me.  A small portal shimmered in the full moonlight, the water splashing as I crashed in after her.  Water filled my lungs, my fingers clinging to the wet mud. Dragging myself up, an unfamiliar village bustled with life. Mary’s green hair danced in the distance, mud dripping off of my green cotton summer dress.  Wiping the mud off of my face, my boots pounded after her. Spinning on her heels, she pinned me behind a tree, her younger self skipping by next to her sister Kara.  Her father’s short wavy green hair danced in the breeze, his green eyes twinkling happily. Her mother’s long brown hair swayed with every step she took, her golden eyes laughing. The two of them wore white capes, matching their parents. A dark cloud thundered above them, lightning striking one of the straw huts. Orange flames devoured the home,  spreading house to house. People ran out screaming, flames burning their clothes. The smell of burnt flesh poisoned the air as a man in a black suit of armor marched through  the village. Lightning bounced off of his armor, a black sword in the shape of a lightning bolt hanging over his shoulders.  Tears streamed down Mary’s face, the corner of her lips twitching.    

“I am here to destroy your family, Sir Lightworth.” He threatened coldly, everyone in the village dropping dead. “You owe me a debt, and that is your twins. I allowed your woman to get pregnant if you promised to give  up your children when the time came.” Her fingers dug into the tree we were behind, her parents pulling out the white crystal blades the twins carried. White energy swirled around them, the blades clashing violently. Younger Mary tried to drag her sister out of the way, the lightning sword sliding through her tiny body.  Mary cried out next to me, my own eyes welling up with tears.  Kara collapsed in a heap, lightning crackling around her body.  Their parents wailed the only way a parent could if they lost their child.  The dark guy snapped his finger and was gone. Collapsing to their knees, her parents mouthed a couple of spells. My heart shattered, their life force was pouring into Kara. Mary ran up to the scene, an invisible force smashing her back into me. Her parents held them both tightly one last time before falling to the ground lifelessly, Mary and Kara both cried out in raw agony. Blue water swirled around us, throwing us back into the real world. Coughing up water, the spirit pointed to the man in the black armor. Stepping forward, his red eyes shined with excitement through the helmet. His sword hovered over Kara’s slumbering body, the water spirit swirling back into the water. Mary cried out, no one was waking up. Her chest rose up and down, a panic attack setting in. Her trembling hands grabbed my wrist, the lightning crackling around his blade. Fresh tears flooded from her eyes, the remnants of a sleeping spell dancing over everyone else’s head.

“I will help you take him down, but you have to deliver the final blow to wake them all up.” I explained urgently, wiping away her tears. “My magic won’t affect him, but yours is the one that will kill him. I need you to take all of your anger and rage and give it all you have. I will make sure you don’t get killed. Do you think you can handle this?” Nodding, her fingers gripped the hilt of her blade, her other hand taking her sister’s. Struggling to her feet, she straightened her back.  The water spirit showed me her past to warn us about the impending danger heading our way, I thought to myself as my scythe slid into my eager palms.  Mary’s robes danced in the crisp evening air, her eyes meeting his. 

“I am Mary, the daughter of my father Sir Lightworth!” She introduced herself proudly, raising the white blades. “I am going to kill you once and for all. This death will not be to avenge my family or village but to defend my sister.” Laughing to himself, he turned towards us. Lowering his blade to the ground, his head cocked to the right. Cold sweat dripped off of my brow, his black armor glistened in the blue moonlight. Storm clouds rumbled above us, lightning striking his blade. Charging at us, his blade raised in the attack position. Sparks drifted aimless, all of our blades smashing into each other.  His seven foot frame towered over us, heavy raindrops crashing on top of our heads. His large foot slammed into both of us, smashing us into a nearby tree. Sharp bark tore the back of my dress, Mary not moving next to me. Shaking Mary, she jerked awake. Wild gusts nearly knocked us over, Mary stepping in front of me. 

“I will die defending my friends.” She screamed out, her voice cracking. “Master of the Light, give me the power to defeat the evil that stands in front of me.” White energy danced to her blades, the energy shooting past the hilts. Her hair lightened to white, her green eyes going gold. Sleepiness weighed down on me, my body unable to move. Turning back to me, she flashed me a warm smile. 

“I have this. Thank you.” She whispered softly, charging at him. White lightning crackled around her blades, surprises widening his eyes at her new strength. I wanted to help her, her parents floating in the distance. Shaking their heads, I understood. She truthfully had to do this, their pale green hair dancing in the breeze.  Blades clashed wildly, no clear winner was obvious. Gripping my scythe tighter, she needed an advantage. Concern flashed in my eyes, blood was pouring from her nostrils. Slamming the bottom of my scythe on the ground, blue energy spread like a sea. Blue roses bloomed into a sea of dancing blossoms, the pollen throwing off the evil man she was fighting. Her parents became more solid, Mary’s eyes growing wet with tears at the sight of them.  My breath hitched, her white magic turning the roses white. More power surged into her, mine draining.  Smiling back at me warmly, blood dripped from the corner of her lips. 

“So you think a power up is going to k-” He began, her speed tripling. White flames devoured her blades, white vines whipping in his direction. The distractions threw his game off, all of my magic was now given to her. My scythe faded away, this sense of weakness becoming a rather new sensation. Coughing up blood, her hits became mine. Bruises formed on my arms, cuts lining my body. The two of them looked like balls of light in the sky, her thoughts invading my brain. The chaos was preventing her from getting a clear shot, an idea flashing into my mind. 

“Think about seeing him dead, and everyone being safe.” I urged calmly through our mind connection. “Match that with the happiness of a good memory, and you can win.”  

My vision blurred, my bones beginning to crack. Petals danced in the air, his body crashing feet from me. Her skin was flawless, the whole wound transference was a rather horrid side effect of magic sharing. Landing gracefully on her feet, tears covered her white robe. His blade landed next to him, quivering in the ground. His fingers wrapped around her ankle, her glowing hot blade slicing his hand off. Standing over him, her blades raised above him. Black blood squirted all over her face as she stabbed him over and over again.  

“Never again will you hurt my sister or my friends!” She screamed out, all of her emotions evident in every stab. “Just die already! The deal is over!” The thing was that he was dead, very dead. 

“He’s dead!” I wheezed, coughing up blood. “Stop using your magic, or you will kill me.” The hatred in her eyes told me that she wasn’t going to let go. Her parents floated next to her, their touch stopping her. The storm clouds cleared, the early morning sun bathing the scene. Nausea wracked my body, blood painting the roses black. Dropping her swords, the pain stopped for just a moment. Relief washed over me, the torture was finally over.   

“Darling, you are going to be okay.” Her mother comforted her, my weakened body crashing to the ground. Kara snapped awake, her eyes welling up at the sight of her parents. Reaching for Boran, my vision blurred again. Running over to her sister, the four of them held each other. The white in her hair darkened to her normal green, words faded in and out.  

“Can you help Lottie?” Mary sobbed violently, guilt gnawing at her. “Without her power, I never could have won.” Nodding, her mother floated over to me. Her green hair floated around her beautiful face, her hands hovering over me. 

“Thank you.” She whispered as my wounds healed shut. “We know that our daughters are in good hands with you.” Their parents gave them one last kiss on the top of their heads, dancing up into the sky.  Mary and Kara slammed into my body, a small gasp of pain tumbling from my lips. Wincing in pain, my muscles were all screaming. 

“Will your magic come back!” Mary panicked, the rose petals swirling into the sky as they took his body into the sky. “I don’t want you to lose your powers forever.” Shaking my head as I waved my hands around, a chuckle tumbled from my lips. Both of them looked scared to death, confusion flashing in my eyes.  

“I will be fine in a couple of days, so I will need some protection.” I coughed, the girls letting me go. “I am glad you won. So let’s not tell Boran about th-” Sighing deeply to myself, he towered over us. A scowl was permanently pressed on his face, a nervous smile dancing across my face.

“This was my fault!” Mary blurted out, waving her hands around. “We fell into my past, and were spit back out. You were all underneath a sleeping spell, so she let me use all of her magic. Please don’t kill us?” Laughter erupted from his lips, his strong arms scooping me up. A soft blush rose to my cheeks, his lips kissing mine feverishly.  

“I quit trying to keep you out of trouble a long time ago.” He joked lightly, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. “You are just as stubborn as Mina.  Speaking of Mina, she was worried about you.” A rough dragon tongue licked my face, my hand patting her snout. 

“I know that I have ignored you for a bit, but how about we go on a flight tomorrow?” I offered her sweetly, her snout snuggling into my shoulders. “Just us? For now, I want to sleep.” Yawning, sweet slumber took me off to dreamland.

August 31, 2022 16:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Corey Melin
00:27 Jan 23, 2023

Quite the intense read. As always your story keeps the readers attention

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.