The Midnight Swimmers

Submitted into Contest #138 in response to: Set your story on a day when the sun never sets.... view prompt

32 comments

Romance Friendship Contemporary

It was midafternoon when the local police patrol found me shivering in my swimwear on the shoreline. My weary carcass was covered with abrasions; I had dried blood matted in my hair and fingers wrinkled like anaemic prunes. 

“He looks rougher than road kill,” the first officer joked, wrapping a heat reflective blanket around me, as if he was covering burnt barbecue scraps in tinfoil.

The second officer offers me a plastic bottle. “This’ll help you, sir.”

“No, it’s too late...” I whisper.

“Suit yourself, sir,” he says, “I was—-“

“She was with me last night...”

“Who was with you?” he asks, straining to hear my voice.

“My wife was in the water too...”

Their jovial banter evaporates faster than raindrops on a forest fire. They alerted the coastguard, whilst bungling me into their vehicle and then grilled me during our journey back to their base.

My confused version of events marked the start of an endless round of cross-questioning. Sunday evening proved to be both a frustrating and dispiriting end to a romantic midsummer solstice.

#

Mister Sorensen, my allocated duty solicitor, was less abrupt and advised me on police procedure during my visit to the police station. 

“You’re a lucky man, Mister Holdings. That tide roars in and the next thing you’re washed out to sea and---”

“You’ve had your half an hour, right?” said Detective Bergen, barging into our room. 

“I’ll tell you when we’re ready, Detective,” said Sorensen.

“That’s time enough, man,” he said, drumming his fingers on the door. “We haven’t got all night.”

“My client has rights, Detective and I’m---”

“I’m more concerned about a missing woman’s rights, Sorensen.”

“Thank you, Detective, I’ll let you know.” he said, turning to me again. “Please continue from when you parked your Jeep, Mister Holdings.”

#

It was late on Saturday evening when Lauren and I ended our pilgrimage to Haukland Beach. We’d made the journey to bathe in the midnight sun and rekindle the spirit of our honeymoon. The sun disappeared behind the rugged headland and we witnessed the sky acquiring an ethereal glow that stained the coastline in its sepia reflection. 

I remember turning to face Lauren and recall her eyes glisten as I nodded my head in recognition. She drew her lips into a tight smile and tapped her fist against the side of my jaw. We left our vehicle on the coastal road and wandered like wraiths down the velvet sands to the lapping water. 

Except for essentials in my dry swim bag, we abandoned our outer garments and waded into the beckoning sea. I hooked the bag over my shoulders and felt Lauren's outstretched fingers reaching out for me. At the water’s first touch, she gripped my hand and together we waded forth into its icy embrace. I held my breath and grimaced as it splashed over my upper thighs and exhaled as it passed my naval.

When the water washed our upper arms, Lauren turned and reached over to contain my face within her hands and kissed me as if she meant it, staring at me all the time, as though I was an airfield and she was making her final descent. I changed the container and her face became a flower in my hands before my fingers drifted down to her neck and shoulders. Her gaze never wavered, but for a brief blue lightning flash that passed through her eyes. “Let’s swim further down the coast…”

We soon floated out of our depth and I followed her lead, kicking my legs to assume a horizontal line and breathing in sympathy with my arm strokes. We ploughed through the liquid glass; she was like a sleek predator and me following behind in her wake; my dry swim bag standing proud like a goofy dorsal fin. 

There is an intoxicating beauty to swimming in this half-light; it’s neither day nor night. Here, we’re held in the sea’s gentle grasp and weightless, and caught between two worlds. Shades of grey obscure the truth and lies. They’re subliminal notions: mysterious, beguiling and seductive. Our souls are drawn to this place for sentimental reasons and yet we understand so little about its power. 

#

Lauren treads water while I play catch up, and points to a low rock-strewn outlet below the high cliffs and a shallow cave. It’s familiar to us both from our honeymoon and our sacred spot to camp out. It’s both remote and free from prying eyes, and we both have a need to return here.

I smiled when we reached the shallows, tossed down the dry bag and catching her eye, I reached out for her hand.

‘It’s good you’re happy,’ she said, curling her fingers round mine, but she looked at me as if from a great distance through a telescope. It was as though being here had altered her in some way; as if this was the end she had in mind; a desolate place where we wouldn’t be disturbed.

#

I opened the drawstring on the dry sack and plucked out a bottle of Gordan’s Dry Gin. Its familiar green glass has a mischievous twinkle in the crepuscular light. We each take a few sips and flop out on the sand under the cave’s low ceiling. Lauren rolls over next to me and tiptoes two fingertips up my abdomen before sliding her warm hand across my chest. I shift my arm under her torso as she pulls into my side, resting her head on my right shoulder. My eyes are heavy and I’m enjoying our moment together. Our busy lives in the city could be a million miles away. Lauren draws a long breath through her nose and whispers, “You never wanted the baby, did you?”

“Honestly, you know that’s not true, you---”

“You were so distant when I lost her.”

“It couldn’t be helped, it was just—-” 

“Just one of those things?”

#

Mister Sorensen bit his lip as I disclosed this conversation. 

“That’s quite a mood swing, Mister Holdings.”

“I didn’t expect the question, and I wasn’t prepared for her reaction.”

“In retrospect, that probably wasn’t what she expected, either.”

“We’d had our problems, and I thought we’d worked through them.”

“The cave was a special place for you,” he said, pursing his lips. “But it sounds as though you had very different reasons for returning there.”

#

That was the start of the end of our night. I had to divert the topic of conversation. 

“Hey,” I said, raising myself on one elbow. “How about truth or dare?”

“I need to talk about this, I want to---”

“How about, spin-the-bottle?” I say, reaching for the Gordan’s. “I’ll go first and I’ve---”

“I’ve got a better idea,” she says, plucking the bottle from the sand.

I scowl and avoid her stony gaze. “Oh, yeah, what’s that, love?”

“It’s called drink or swim.”

#

Mister Sorensen frowned, “I’ve never heard of that challenge, is it---”

“The rules are self-explanatory,” I say, shrugging. “We take turns to roll or spin the bottle in such a way as to hide the label and---”

“The person who exposes the label has to choose---”

“Exactly,” I say, “and the first one to faint or drown loses.”

“And that’s how the night ended?”

#

I regained consciousness with my knees curled up under chin and my arms tucked around my shins. I raised my head and searched around the cave. Lauren was absent. Shards of green glass surrounded me and the sea was pounding through the cave entrance. Despite my blinding headache, I understood that our secret bolthole was both a refuge at low tide and a natural sarcophagus when the high tide returned. In a panic, I struggled against the fierce surges of water pinning me down and trapping me inside. The merciless waves threw me against the cave walls when I progressed into their midst, but I braved the onslaught; my life depended on it. By the time I reached the safety of the shoreline where we’d parked our Jeep, I looked like an abandoned barbecue feast; shrivelled, burned out and smeared in dried ketchup. 

#

“So you were playing some sort of game?” says Mister Sorensen.

“It wasn’t my idea, though,” I say, furrowing my brow. “You need to understand.”

“Well, Mister Sorensen,” says detective Bergen, pushing his way through the door. “It appears your client has been spared the rack and branding iron.”

I look at Mister Sorensen for an explanation. He shrugs, closes his notebook, and opens his brief case. “My work here is done for now.”

“I don’t understand,” I say, looking from one to the other. “I thought---”

“You have my number,” he says, sliding an embossed card across the wooden table. “Call me if circumstances alter.”

“We’ve no questions, Mister Holdings,” says Detective Bergen, squinting his eyes and dropping his head. “But we may want to contact you before you return home.”

“I’m staying at the Harstad.”

Detective Bergen turns to his assistant and raises an eyebrow. 

“You know it?” I ask. He nods and inflates his chest to capacity before speaking.

“That’ll be all for now, sir,” he says, “however, do take advantage of our range of items available from lost property.”

“I don’t think that will be---”

“I’m sure we’ll have your size, sir.”

There’s a sudden hush as I meander through the Harstad Hotel lobby. Late night guests extend their necks as I approach the receptionist behind his desk. The young man in his tailored uniform sniffs as I halt in front of him. His eyes scan my ill-fitting attire with the precision of a barcode reader. 

“How can I be of assistance, sir?”

“The name’s Holdings,” I say. “Room ninety-nine.”

“Nice outfit, sir, now…” he says, turning to retrieve my key. “Let’s see, Mister Holdings…”

”You’re too kind.” I say, plucking the keys from his extended forefinger. 

“Your wife’s been expecting you, sir.”

I let myself into our darkened suite to be greeted by the overpowering fragrance of rosemary and lavender oil. There’s a glow emanating from the bathroom where I discover Lauren luxuriating in a steaming hot bathtub. She is up to her neck in water with a view of the breathtaking Grovfjord mountain range. 

“Well, look what the cat dragged in,” Lauren whispered as I peered round the door.

“The local police tell me I’m now a ‘Person Of Interest’.”

“It’s not surprising,” she says, “but it couldn’t be helped.”

“You might have tried calling earlier,” I say. 

“Be a love,” she says, offering her glass. “Fill me up.”

“Mother’s ruin, is it?” I ask through gritted teeth.

“I’m way beyond all that, my love.”

“No change there then.”

“This one’s on you.” 

I keep my counsel before we come to blows and that’s when I observe signs of discolouration on Lauren’s wrists. The bruises have variegated tones of ripe plum with yellow fringing, and she’s grazed her knuckles again. The thought occurred to me that any person who tangles with Lauren comes off worse. I retreat into the bedroom and hear the gentle ripple of swirling eddies as she lowers her broad shoulders back into the heavenly infusion. Lauren’s movements are as calculated and resolute as a roving iceberg and now she can relax knowing the best seat in the house belongs to her. I can’t afford to challenge Lauren for that position tonight and risk a further encounter at the police station. There must be other sanctuaries within the hotel to relax and appreciate the midsummer’s evening light in Haukland.


The End




March 26, 2022 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Mike Panasitti
14:51 May 12, 2022

Howard, the twist at the end was unexpected. Showing the first few rounds of the drink or swim game would add to the intrigue. Otherwise, it's difficult to imagine how the game is played. Mr. Sorensen saying, "Sounds more like 'drink and drown' to me," could have added a kick to the dialogue. Good effort.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:02 May 12, 2022

Hello Mike, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your suggestion and I’m considering it for my rewrite. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
09:47 Apr 17, 2022

This reminds me of Gone Girl. Lauren sounds dangerous and manipulative. Quite scary since it seems like she wanted him in trouble. Thankfully this story didn’t go into the depths of manipulation that the film did (I haven’t read the book).

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:16 Apr 18, 2022

Hello Graham, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. Hmm… yes, I have to admit it does feel a bit Gone Girlish with its ambivalent protagonists. There’s always plenty of mileage in toxic relationships and they make for scary stories too. By the way, Gillian Flynn’s book is worth reading and I highly recommend it. The intercutting structure takes a bit of getting used to, but stick with it. HH

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:22 Apr 18, 2022

I’ll add it to my long list of books to read. You’re never short of recommendations here. What are you reading at the moment? I just finished These Alien Skies by C T Rwizi which was good. I’ve just started Starship Grifters by Robert Kroese.

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:31 Apr 18, 2022

Hello Graham, Did you enjoy Theses Alien Skies? I haven’t read it but in terms of SciFi, I’ve always enjoyed Ray Bradbury. I just got round to reading his Martian Chronicles which is thought provoking, although I prefer his short stories. I’ve just finished Black Light by Kimberly King-Parsons which is kinda grim and gritty. Currently I’m returning to The Secret History by Donna Tartt and thoroughly enjoying it again, having not read it for 30 years.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:12 Apr 18, 2022

These Alien Skies was good, very short which is nice sometimes since it didn’t require a lot of commitment. Before that I read Pyramids by Terry Pratchett, I enjoyed it in the end but it took me a while to get into his sense of humour. In terms of funny books I prefer Douglas Adams. I’ve read all of the Hitchhiker’s Guide books and I can recommend them. I have the Dirk Gently books to get around to still.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
23:57 Apr 04, 2022

(Gasp) Lauren! Wow this was dark and the imagery was rich and incredible. Very creepy and insanely well written!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:10 Apr 05, 2022

Hello Moon, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and flattered by your response. It’s certainly a dark tale and gets bleaker when you explore the imagery in greater depth; not for the faint hearted. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
01:02 Apr 01, 2022

Hi Howard, What an interesting story! I admit the ending caught me off guard. I was not expecting Lauren to be chilling in the room waiting for her husband after being questioned by the police! Such a cool twist. Makes me wonder how they got here.

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:46 Apr 01, 2022

Hello J.C., Thank you for reading my story and leaving your impressions. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and happy to have surprised you with the ending. To be sure, they’re a dark and twisted pair aren’t they? I wonder what other secrets they hide… Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Matt Ward
01:35 Mar 31, 2022

I think Alfred Hitchcock would really like this one! Stretch it out a bit and he'd be bidding for the movie rights (if he were still around). I took me a couple of oddly spelled (spelt?) words to realize I was reading a British English instead of my usual American English. I love running across words I have never seen before and "crepuscular" was one for me. I had to stop reading right then and look it up. We have a somewhat archaic word for twilight . . . "gloaming." Is that a familiar word for British referring to the time between su...

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:55 Mar 31, 2022

Hello Matt, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your thoughtful response; I appreciate it. As a rule I hesitate to use words that draw attention to themselves and require a quick definition check; it can spoil the flow and take the reader out of the moment. However, sometimes it’s fun just to test the water and see what you can get away with. I certainly hope I didn’t ruin your enjoyment of a story that called for a fully immersive experience... Take care HH

Reply

Matt Ward
14:42 Mar 31, 2022

On the contrary. I love running across new words well used.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
01:41 Mar 30, 2022

Ok then. So don’t go swimming with Lauren, I guess? I love the suspense and the description is so rich. I’m thinking she could’ve just said no if she didn’t want to play his game. 😂 reminded me a bit of James Bond and a femme fatale. Awesome job! I enjoyed it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:56 Mar 30, 2022

Hello Sharon, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. I‘m pleased you enjoyed it, although it really is a dark tale and not everyone’s cup of tea or vodka martini, for that matter. I hope you’re not too shaken or stirred by it’s content? :) Take care HH

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:20 Mar 31, 2022

Me? No way! I love it! I live for dark and twisty tales like this…shaken and stirred ! 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
02:58 Mar 31, 2022

Stayed tuned for more twisty tales..,. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Riel Rosehill
10:20 Mar 29, 2022

Oh wow... it's not often I don't know how to feel about the characters in a story! I really felt for Lauren, and I even understood when she suggested playing that murderous game, considering their past and how her husband wasn't really there for her and even then refused to talk about things... But the ending? She comes across so different, and I just don't know what to think about either of them, I feel like the story took quite a dark turn and I for sure didn't see it coming!

Reply

Howard Halsall
21:13 Mar 29, 2022

Hello Riel, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your response. Certainly, it’s dark by turns and twists in many directions, and can we even be sure the narrator is reliable? I trust you found it intriguing and hopefully it will linger in your thoughts for some time. Take care and keep writing HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jawad Ali
04:20 Mar 29, 2022

Such simple start but just so unpredictable end. Absolutely a prequel or sequel is required. The way a wounded motherhood changes the core is quite clearly signified. I am really glad that I got to read the story so much I learned about specially about balance.

Reply

Howard Halsall
04:55 Mar 29, 2022

Hello Jawad, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your thoughtful and positive feedback. It’s making me consider returning to the idea and extending it in some way, although, as it’s presented currently, the story suggests fractured lives that exist beyond the page and I’m content with those silent possibilities. There is a sense of foreboding that lurks in what’s revealed and I believe the suggestion it offers speaks volumes, even if it’s dark and disturbing. HH

Reply

Jawad Ali
02:08 Mar 30, 2022

Truth is always disturbing but teaches a lot and helps in healing. Really appreciate your response. Darkness yes is present but due to doubt or certainty which is quite natural and absolutely leaving it at that the end is brilliant. Best of luck.

Reply

Howard Halsall
02:18 Mar 30, 2022

Thank you Jawad, I appreciate your thoughts and I wonder if you’re writing currently? I’m imagine you’d come up with some interesting ideas... Take care HH

Reply

Jawad Ali
07:09 Mar 30, 2022

lol, You are too kind. Actually, I am a collector than a writer. I collected some very unique stuff even the titles are unique at least 15 years of collection. Also a researcher.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:02 Mar 30, 2022

Hmmm... that sounds interesting, please explain...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:31 Mar 28, 2022

Another reader suggested a prequel or sequel to this piece. I think I would love to know how this couple got to this point in their relationship. Fascinating story. I really wanted it to continue. I, too, find the word restriction limiting. Great job!

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:45 Mar 28, 2022

Hello Rebecca, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your thoughts. I hear what you’re saying about the word count, but then the seductive power of the short story format is the nature of the restriction; it forces one to be concise and when it works well it opens up broad vistas of possibilities in the reader’s mind. Take care HH

Reply

18:01 Mar 28, 2022

It absolutely does! Or even the possibility, for the writer, of a future novel.... Again, I really enjoyed your story...Rebecca

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:08 Mar 28, 2022

Thank you Rebecca, I appreciate your positive feedback and I’ll give some thought to expanding the idea, now you’ve mentioned it. HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:14 Mar 28, 2022

Hi Howard! Oh wow! This piece gave me serious “Gone Girl” vibes. I especially love how you wove the interview in with the elements of the past for this story. It was a seriously intriguing piece. I also love how you chose to put a game into the mix. A part of me was dying to know more about the characters and I wished I knew more about what made them fall in love. But I understand, we are all held to the word count limit. Overall, a super intriguing piece. I’d love a prequel or sequel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
19:41 Mar 26, 2022

Interesting story! It definitely started out feeling like a tragedy or maybe a murder cover-up, but it developed into something else. You paint a complex relationship between the married couple, and there's a sense of a huge amount of history driving things, which we only see the shadow of. There is one line that threw me though, when the narrator and Lauren are first entering the water, we have "I hooked the bag over my shoulders and felt Gill’s outstretched fingers reaching out for me." I'm not sure who/what Gill is in this case.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.