0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

 

For the last few weeks, the bird-people of Jordero has been training a group of Rocs for their Air Force. However, the bird-people have hit a snag and have asked for Rangers, Druids, and Wardens for help. Hearing the call for help, Jerrin Elkrin has come to assist the good bird-people of Jordero.

Climbing the rocky paths up to the bird-people and their base of operations, Jerrin a High Elf with copper-red hair and beard approaches the bird-people and their leader Zasha Chiba of the She-rock clan. Zasha appears to be a falcon-like female with a robe and quarter-staff.

Zasha greets Jerrin as he places his backpack and rock climbing gear aside. “Greeting-s Fellow Jerrin, I am the tribal shaman Zasha Chiba and I put out a call to help in training my fellow Roc pet army. Have you had a good journey?”

“It was a little tight climbing the dead-hook switchback but I managed to avoid slipping to meet my maker. What seems to be the problem, Shaman?”

“It seems that the clan's Rocs are being stubborn in their combat training and we fear the Ogre Tribes and their Dire Birds are planning an attack from our spies-s in the network. We have reached out to Druid Chief Alba but he has not returned our calls for help. We were hoping you could see why Alba is not returning our cries. My people would like you and if you have any companions to see where Alba is?”

“It should not be a problem but my companions are preoccupied with matters in Fort Kapaka is there any others who have answered your cry for help?” comments the Copper-haired high elf.

The tribal shaman massages her beaked snout and looks back at Jerrin with her dark eyes. “There has only been a few but they are being hired mercs and want to go after the ogres with the Rocs-s that are still being normal. However. Druid Priestess-s a half-elf female Kayla Long may show an interest because she knows Alba well.”

“Then the two of us will have to figure out what is going on with the High Druid. Please

introduce me to the Lady.”

“Right this way, Fellow Jerrin.”

The two walk in the direction of a nesting area where a dark-haired half-elf female is caring for the Rocs and their children. Kayla wears a dark robe over a set of studded hide armor and offering water to the Rocs and their children. “S-Sister Kayla, may I introduce you-u to

Fellow Jerrin Elkrin, he has-s come to help our Rocs-s.”

Kayla bows her dark hair revealing her elf ears below her short hair. “I am honored to meet you Fellow Jerrin, I am Kayla Long of Druid clan McBride. Please join me and I will tell you what is happening with the Rocs.”

Zasha excuses herself and leaves the high elf and half-elf alone. “I am told you know Druid Chief Alba but was surprised to see a member of the McBride clan here in the High Sharp mountains. Your people rarely leave the outskirts of the capital city.”

“Just say Elf, the McBride people have to go on missionary trips to achieve a higher level in the Druid Clan. I chose the Sharp mountains because I enjoy rock climbing and wish to learn about the bird-people of the High Sharp Mountains. Please pull up a seat and I will tell you what seems to be bugging the Rocs.”

Pulling up a wooden stool, Kayla shares her story of what is wrong with the birds. “I have done a number of tests on the Rocs but it seems there is something much bigger bugging them. It's as if they have what we face with anxiety and depression. I have tried several herbs to help them but it does not seem to be enough. I feel they sense something is wrong with

Mother Jordero.”

“Could be partly because Druid Chief Alba has not contacted the bird-people?”

“It is possible, but we need to head south to the Sharp Woods, where he resides to see

if he is okay.”

“Than the Sharp Woods it will be, rest up Kayla and we will head out in the morning. Since our other companions are just hired mercenaries. Come tell me about yourself.” The two spend the rest of the evening learning about one another.

Morning Hours. The two set out before dawn and are flown down by a pair of bird-people warriors to the lower lands of the High Sharp Woods. Traveling on foot, the two approaches the wooden shack of Alba in the deeper ends of the High Sharp Woods. Raising his longbow and panning the outer perimeter of the shack. Kayla joins him with her Sickle raised like a

machete. “Druid Alba are you home. Kayla Long, I was concerned about you and the Rocs of Sharp Mountain are note well. Are you here, Wyatt?” Soon the shrubs of the perimeter shift as Jerrin aims his bow at the movement. Before he fires off an arrow, Kayla stops him and walks in the direction of a badger. “Hold Jerrin, it's Brine the pet of Alba.”

Kayla leans down and extends her hand to be recognized by the badger. She soon starts to talk to it in a series of gurgles and growls. The badger returns her vocals with its own vocals.

Kayla confers more to the badger who replies as if in a frantic state of mind.

Kayla looks back at Jerrin and shows a look of concern in her eyes. “Brine claims that Alba had been taken by a group of ogres led by a super ogre and he says it was not a pretty sight. He was dragged hard by the Ogres”

“Did he say which direction they went?”

“He was not sure but he said in a southwest direction.”

“Well taking a word of advice from a badger is a new one. If he said southwest, then southwest it will be.”

The two starts to head southwest about two miles out Jerrin leans in and checks for the tracks if any were left behind by the ogres. “Your badger friend right seems to be at least two or three days since Alba was taken. What do you know of him?”

“Alba is an older man and has a heart of gold. He was kind of like a second uncle to me though he was a little flaky at times. He had a good heart.”

“It is said by Zasha he was one of the first trainers with their Rocs. So you could say they adapted to him like a bird-master. Though I have not seen him for a couple years he keeps in touch with me through occasional couriers.”

“Alba seems like a good man, but I wonder why the Ogres took him. I can only think

maybe they fear that his combat training with the Rocs was a threat.” Jerrin raises his finger to the air and senses a possible weather change. “We better hurry I think we are going to get caught in a storm from the west.”

The two travel several hours as the first dark clouds begin to disperse rain on them and the surrounding woods. As they travel further the rain showers begin to come down harder on the adventurers. “Come on we need to find some type of shelter unless you want to catch a cold. There in distance looks abandoned cabin.” the pair hurry over to the cabin as thundershowers begin to fall harder on the heroes.

Once inside the cabin, Jerrin looks for any occupants and finds them known. Kayla reaches for a hooded lantern and lights it up. Jerrin shakes his head claiming the place is empty. The two start to search the cabins and finds a few cans of food. Kayla starts to put something together as Jerrin lights up the fireplace. The two start to make themselves at home for the night and continue to get acquainted with one another.

Next Morning. Rising early the pair continue their trail with Jerrin taking point and examining the muddy trails. He looks back at Kayla, “I think I lost the trail in the rainstorm so if you were an ogre which direction would you have your lair? Any suggestions?”

“You're the Scout here so; I trust your judgment on which direction we go.” Smirks Kayla

“If I was a big ugly ogre I would want a place where I can keep an eye out for traveling caravans and unsuspecting travelers. I think I would head east to the old stone fort of the dark knight Bremen”

“Okay, Bremen Hills it will be.”

Bremen Hills. By mid-day, the pair arrive in the outer perimeters of Bremen Hills manor. A once stone citadel owned by a knight who fell in league with a dark god of war. After being defeated by the Celestial Brotherhood, Bremen fled his manor home and began his dark rule in the northeast between Fort Kapaka and High Sharp mountain. Now dead for many years

heirs of Bremen continue to plague the land for their master.

Taking a position outside the fort, Jerrin watches the grounds through his spyglass and spots some movement involving Ogres and their hired mercs of Hobgoblins and Orcs. All appear in banded armor while the ogres wear hide armor. “Well this is the place, the Ogre army is making shop here in Bremen hills. Now, all we have to do is get inside the fort and rescue your friend.

The two pull up beneath a tree and start to sketch out a plan to get on the inside.

Breach Bremen. The two hide between the shrubs as the guards continue their stealthy approach. Mumbling a few words a mystical mist starts to surround the grounds of the stone fort. Moving quickly and using the mist as a distraction. Jerrin and Kayla sneak into the main compound drawing their weapons with a sneak attack approach. The compound has a lack of patrols. Moving quickly and cautiously the two spot an older gnome strapped to a wooden stake. Kayla hand signals and approaches the tied-up gnome. Moving quickly Kayla uses her sickle to slice through hemp ropes. Alba falls into the arms of Kayla while Jerrin switches his

weapon to his longbow.

The two move with Alba who staggers along in the arms of Kayla. “We need to move quickly before the guards wonder what has happened.” The trio continues but is quickly spotted by a pair of hobgoblins. Raising his longbow Jerrin releases a pair of arrows on the advancing hobgoblins.

Fling Fling

The arrows pierce the armor of the hobgoblins collapses to the ground. A large ogre rushes in the direction of the rescuing party. Swing his spiked club, the ogre catches up to the rescue party. He swings within inches of Alba and Kayla but she mumbles a few words and the ogre slips and falls back to the ground. He tries to get his balance but slips again. Jerrin quickly draws his scimitar which brightens mystically at the falling ogre.

Jerrin looks and directs Kayla to get Alba out of here. He charges but holds his balance on the

slippery terrain. He slashes his glowing blade at the ogre. The ogre parlays the scimitar with his spiked club but a wrist dagger is released by Jerrin as he pierces the torso of the ogre. The

ogre screams as the scimitar blade come back and slash the left side torso of the ogre,

UGGH!

Jerrin swings the scimitar across the ogre's neck. The blood spurts from the attack on the ogre.

Jumping off the ogre and holding his balance on the slippery terrain. He grabs his fallen longbow and joins his rescue party. Hiding n shrubs Jerrin spots Alba being mended by Kayla.

Raising his longbow to cover their position. Bells start to ring loudly behind them. “We need to get out of here.”

“Have any suggestions either of you.”

Alba raises his hands and mumbles a few words. Shortly after mumbling the words a large eagle arrives and touches down in the steppes nearby them. Cawing loudly. “Our transport has arrived quickly advance onto the eagle. It will hold all three of us.” The trio quickly

moves to the steppes as Jerrin releases a pair of arrows on advancing guards. Moments later

the eagle takes flight as Jerrin releases a flurry of arrows on the pursuing guards.

Epilogue. The falcon arrives back at the High Sharp Mountains. Zasha joins the rescue party and shows a smile on her beak-like mouth. “Things have gotten better my friends, I sense after you rescued Alba. The Rocs-s was feeling alive. My people thank you, Master Alba I will tend additional aid to you. I will get you some of my herbal soup to get you better.”

“Thank you, my friends.” Comments as Zasha takes Alba away from the two adventurers.

Jerrin takes a sigh of relief and looks at the half-elf female druid. “You think I could offer you a nice dinner. It seems we have a lot in common.”

“I think I can fit that in tonight.” The two walk away from the large falcon and head to a pub in the village of the bird-people.

The End.

 

 

 

December 21, 2020 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.