0 comments

Drama Thriller

‘Hey, Nino!’

A common voice breaks through my train of thoughts.

‘Nino, are you listening?’ Felix whispers. ‘Let’s go into the city after the lecture.’

While I’m still watching the professor, I answer:

‘So, then tell me, what did you do this time?’

Out of the corner of my eye I notice Felix turning around.

‘I didn’t do anything!’ He reproachfully tries to defend himself. ‘It was just an unfortunate coincidence.’

‘Yeah, whatever,’ I answer half-heartedly. Felix having relationship-problems wasn’t something new. Like they are riding roller coaster their relationship is a constant “Up-and-Down”. It borders on a miracle that his girlfriend is still staying by his side, for around two years now to be precise. Maybe it’s because of their deep love – how Felix uses to say, or – more likely – because of my advices as his best friend.

I focus on the lecture again and take down the tasks for next week. While the students in the front-rows start to collect their things and leave the room one after another, I look at Felix. He is mumbling to himself, his pen dancing through his fingers, a blank sheet of paper beneath his hands. I smirk and shook my head.

‘Yeah, what would you do without me?’ I think.

I pat his shoulder to stop his daydreaming. Startled but realizing the situation at once he turns towards me, his lips covered with a mischievous smile.

And I smiled back.

As we leave the building, he was still explaining his current relationship-problems.

‘Before we go shopping,’ I interrupt him, ‘I promised auntie to help her with some documents and bureaucratic stuff.’

‘Yes, sure,’ Felix says. ‘I have to collect a few things from home anyway.’

We live in the same neighbourhood, one block apart. It takes merely five minutes to the college, so we go home together almost every day. As we pass dark side alleys filled with smog and rubbish, ignoring the noises around us, and skilfully avoiding shady groups of people, we speak about our daily lives. About trivialities and personal problems, or the future and about finally leaving this place after finishing college. Both of us are aware that reality isn’t that simple. Nevertheless, we keep looking through pink glasses.

I like to watch his expressions while he lets his imagination run wild. It reminds me that he doesn’t deserve to stay here: his short blonde and curly hair that waves freely in the wind, his bright blue eyes and a big smile that decorates his face – like an angel captivated in hell.

When we first met, he didn’t smile at all. I remember that day very well. My aunt, sister and I just recently moved into the neighbourhood after leaving Mexico to live the American dream. It was my seventh birthday and I got a football. But I wasn’t good at soccer. So, while playing in the yard I accidently kicked the ball into a group of boys, hitting one of them on the head. Barely speaking English, they didn’t understand my excuses and I in return didn’t understand them.

When the situation was about to get really tense one boy suddenly took the ball from the ground and without a word he started playing. Like magic the ball flew around him as if he would steer a puppet by its strings. Captivated by his incredible show we forgot the argument from just a moment before. Finally, the boy tossed the ball in a high arc and it smoothly landed in my open hands. Completely overwhelmed I only stared at him and nodded to show my appreciation. He on the contrary kept a straight face and walked past me, followed by the other boys. His blonde hair though grim face clearly stood out and from there on were burned into my memory. He wasn’t like them, but he wasn’t like me either. Yet, somehow, I adored him.

So, when I went to elementary school the following day, I was surprised to find him in the same class. Maybe it was a mere coincidence or maybe fate, but next to him was the only empty seat and so we henceforth sat together. That’s the point where our friendship began. He helped me with the stuff at school and taught me English, and after school he would show me the city and how to play soccer. We hang out almost every day and without noticing we grew up as fast as our friendship got stronger.

Every time I remember our daily adventures, I’m happy. When I’m with Felix I’m happy. He distracts me from our depressive surrounding. And therefore, I’m thankful.

Well I wouldn’t tell him that. That would be really awkward.

I laugh about that sudden thoughts of mine.

Felix gives me a confusing look. ‘What’s so funny?’

‘Nothing, it’s nothing,’ I say, trying to conceal my laughter and waving him off.

‘So, you’re hiding something from me?!’ He gives me a suspicious gaze. ‘You know, no secret remains secure in front of my humble self!’

His lofty words combined with an extravagant bow just make me laugh louder. Felix drops his act and we laugh together.

But our merry chat suddenly ends as an police car with screaming sirens rushes by.

‘They show up quite often recently, don’t they?’ I say.

Felix doesn’t react on my comment, but his former happy face surely has frozen.

The police patrols regularly in this district for the crime-rate is constantly high. Currently though they appear more often than usual.

‘What are they looking for?’ I mutter to myself.

A sideways glance to Felix assured me not to further discuss this topic with him. He himself has a police record, more than fifty percent of the young adults in this district have one. A few years ago, he committed several small shopliftings and was even accused for selling drugs. Somehow, he got away with low penalties. Although I’m his best friend he didn’t tell me anything nor the reasons behind his doings. I also know nearly nothing about his family. He never invited me home and every time I talk about my relatives in Mexico or auntie and my sister at home, he would try to change the topic. It bothers me but I cannot force him to talk about it.

The rest of the way home we remain silence. I tell Felix to text him when I’m ready with the paperwork. He gives me a brief ‘Yes, see you later’ and then we split up.

Back home auntie is sitting at the small kitchen table, facing a mountain of documents. I sigh and sit next to her. Although she perfectly understands the content, the English language is still a burden to her. So, it’s my job to translate it. As we reach the last paper sheet my sister Emilia comes in.

‘How was your day?’ I carefully say. There was a big brown stain on her uniform.

‘Don’t ask if you already know the answer,’ she says angrily. ‘The customers are good for nothing nowadays. Such scrooges!’

Emilia is three years older than me and works part time at a diner down the street. I know she wants to help auntie by earning some money, but she is quite a feisty person.

‘Maybe you should change your line of work,’ I think.

‘Oh Nino, I almost forgot,’ she suddenly says. ‘I met Felix on my way home. I shall tell you that he already settled the problem and that therefore you two don’t have to meet up later. Yeah, something like that he said.’

‘Oh, well, thanks for telling me,’ I say.

After finishing the paperwork, in a sudden need of fresh air, I go out on the balcony. Somehow, I’m disappointed. Am I jealous? No that cannot be the case. I’m his best friend not his lover.

I light up a cigarette and take a deep breath. Some kids are playing down in the yard. A group of benches is occupied by few grannies solving crosswords together. It looks really peaceful. One has a great few from the balcony. And of course, there are other sides, bad sides. Shady people from whom one better keeps their distance.

Lost in thoughts I look around, the smoke of the cigarette blurring my view. Suddenly I see a head with blonde, short hair. I blink in surprise. The guy walks straight towards a small group of men staying under a tree, obviously the shady type. I cannot recognize what they are doing but after merely two minutes the blonde guy took his leave first. From up on the sixth floor it’s impossible to see his face. Despite, his overall build and blonde hair… It cannot be denied. I’m suspicious. Is Felix involved in something illegal again?

Before I can restrain myself, I grab my phone and keys, run down the staircase taking two steps at once and out of the front door. Heavily breathing I watch around. Where is he? Did I miss him? I grab my phone. Felix has to answer me some questions. As I’m just about to call him I spot a blonde head across the street. Carefully keeping my distance, I trail him.

He walks into an alley, across another street, again through an alley. Right, right, then left, right, left again… I don’t know how long I have been following him, but we finally reached an open field, probably some old industrial area. In the distance one can see a big depot complex. A few trucks are parked in front the warehouses and about one dozen people are moving around. The surrounding though seems absolutely deserted.

The guy keeps walking forward, exactly towards the warehouses. Something is fishy about all this. Is this person around fifty feet in front of me really Felix? I have to confirm it. While hiding in the shadows of the last alley we passed, I grab my phone. I call Felix, my eyes still focused on the guy ahead. At the other end of the line someone answers the call. It’s Felix voice.

‘Nino?’ He says. ‘What’s up?’

I don’t answer. The blonde guy has slowed down and finally stopped.

‘Nino? Everything alright?’ Felix says again. ‘Are you mad that I dumped you? Well, she already forgave me, so I don’t have to buy her something. Isn’t that great? She really is the perfect one for me.’

I still don’t reply. The guy ahead, who is apparently not Felix, has took out his phone too and seems to call someone.

‘Nino? Nino, are you still there?’ Felix’ confused words break through my mental tension.

‘Yes, sorry. Don’t mind me. Emilia already told me what happened. Good luck and don’t screw it this time,’ I say, trying to sound as normal as possible. ‘See ya`!’ Without waiting for his respond, I hang up.

‘Sorry, Felix,’ I think, ‘but this seems really serious here. I have to take care of this first.’

The guy ahead is still talking to someone on the phone though I cannot understand anything. Suddenly, three men are coming from the warehouses, walking towards the blonde-haired men. They seem to be armed. As they get nearer, I recognize guns and batons.

I have to call the police. Although my mind acts brave my body apparently isn’t used to so much adrenaline. My fingers are shaking like hell. As I finally manage to dial the police-number, I focus on the blonde guy and his comrades again. They haven’t moved an inch. But rather then calling the blonde guy now speaks to the armed men. Afterward they head back for the depot-complex leaving the blonde one alone.

The phone glued to my ear keeps dialling. The pauses between each “beep” seem endless. My nerves are about to surrender against the overwhelming tension.

The guy suddenly turns around, looking into my direction. I’m sure my heart just missed a beat. Does he know I’m here?

Simultaneously the constant beeps at my ear stop and a woman’s voice answers my call.

‘Police Department, what -’

I miss the last parts. The blonde-guy has begun waving, still looking into the alley I’m hiding. Fear controls me now. I’m completely paralyzed, unable to move nor speak I watch him slowly walking towards me.

‘Madam/Sir? Are you still there?’

Before I can even spell a single syllable, something hits the back of my head. I fall on the ground, my phone lying next to me. As I desperately try to reach it, someone picks it up. My vision blackens. One more “beep” was the last thing I hear.

People are talking. What are they saying? I can’t see clearly, everything is blurry. Where am I? People are passing by, carrying boxes or giving orders to others. What’s all this? A sudden pain ran through my head. I groan.

‘So, you are awake.’ A voice clearer and louder reaches my dizzy mind. I blink and open my eyes. Right in front of me is the blonde-haired guy. I’m sober at once. Trying to run away I realize that I’m bound to a chair, hands and feet neatly fixated. I claw my fists.

‘Don’t be afraid. I won’t hurt you if it’s not necessary,’ he says with a knowing smile. He sure looks like Felix, their facial similarities are obvious, but this person is definitely older. I again look around. We have to be in one of the warehouses. There are armed men like the three from outside. They give orders to other men who carry the heavy boxes, but there are also some lanky men standing around long tables. They routinely fill a white substance into small bags.

‘Who are you and what is this all supposed to mean?’ I ask taking heart, yet I’m sure, I don’t want to hear the answer.

‘I’m a bit disappointed. Didn’t Felix talk about me? Well, whatever. I’m Richard. Richard Clark, esteemed lawyer and Felix’ older brother. Pleased to make your acquaintance,’ he says arrogantly, laughing about his own joke.

‘What is this place,’ I just say again.

‘Come one, do I really have to explain it?’ Richard says.

‘I guess then, you are the reason the police doubled their patrols in this district recently. Does Felix know about your other “businesses”?’ My voice is filled with open hatred.

‘Oh, you’re are a smart one, I see.’ He smiles again and turns around, heading for a nearby desk. I can see my phone on it. Apart from some scratches it looks still functioning. The gun next to it though gives me a chill down the spine. I swallow.

‘Felix doesn’t know about this. We don’t talk that much. You, me and the people in and around these warehouses are part of my business.’ Richard takes the gun from the table. ‘We don’t need more confidants, you understand?’ He comes slowly back to me.

‘Even if you kill me, you won’t get away with this. The police will track you down eventually,’ I say, my fingernails deeply buried in the palms of my hands.

‘I don’t want to kill you!’ He says suddenly. ‘Nino is it, isn’t it? I know how much Felix trusts you. I also know how much you on the other side like him. I will return your phone and you can go back to his side and your daily life, safe and sound, like nothing happened. You only have to promise me that you won’t tell anybody about our little meeting today.’

‘What if I cannot do this?’ I say, looking him directly in the eyes.

Richard keeps eye contact for a few moments, then he suddenly laughs. With huge steps he is by my side, goes into a squat and lays his arm around my shoulders.

‘I told you, I’m a lawyer. And I’m a businessman, well informed about almost everything,’ he whispers into my ear. ‘But I can also be a killer if I have to.’ He cocks the gun. I swallow again. ‘And you, Nino, you are a smart guy. Who do you think prevented Felix from getting severe punishment every time he did something illegal and got caught? Yes, you’re right. It was me, the older brother, the famous lawyer with a clean coat who defends his younger brother, the criminal, the black sheep in the family.’

He wipes the gun through the air like he would paint an incredible image. I grit my teeth. I damn Felix for not telling me about his brother and I damn myself for not asking him more persistently, forcing him to tell me about his family and not keeping my mouth shut until he does.

‘Consider it wisely. Let’s assume I let you go, and you would, against my advice, call the police. By the time they arrive here, me and my men would be already gone. They would find an empty drug factory and, on my effort, evidence that would lead to the name Clark. Whom would they declare guilty? Your statement as an immigrant from the hateful Mexico - the enemy of the United States, and Felix’ statement as a petty criminal - you cannot win against me.’

With these words Richard pats my shoulder and stands up. I cannot stop shivering. It’s a mixture of fear and anger. My teeth are still clenched together, my palms feel wet from sweat and blood. I feel like vomiting. Not a single word is about to leave my mouth.

Richard stands in front of me. ‘Well, I think we talked long enough. I just have one last question for you,’ he says. Slowly he lifts his arm and points the gun towards me, aiming for the place between my eyes.

‘Tell me, Nino, can you keep a secret - or not?’ 

August 22, 2020 02:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.