The Weight of Shadows

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write about two mortal enemies who must work together.... view prompt

5 comments

Adventure Romance Fantasy

In the heart of a land where shadows whispered secrets and winds howled with stories untold, two figures stood, their bodies tense with barely restrained hatred. They were the last of their kind, bound by destiny and a cruel twist of fate to save a world neither cared to protect.

Rafe, the Shadowmancer, was a man shaped by darkness. His black cloak billowed in the wind, a living extension of the abyss that thrived within him. His eyes, sharp and cold as polished obsidian, held within them the mysteries of the void. His every movement was a threat, a promise of violence and power that could tear through the very fabric of reality. For years, he had been the scourge of the land, spreading fear and chaos wherever he went.

Across from him stood Seraphine, the Lightbringer, a woman who radiated an aura of brilliance that seemed to defy the darkness surrounding them. Her golden hair shimmered like the sun, cascading over armour that glowed with an ethereal light. Her eyes, a vivid blue like the clearest summer sky, burned with fierce resolve and unyielding justice. She had spent her life chasing shadows, fighting the darkness that threatened to consume everything she held dear.

They were opposites in every sense—light and dark, creation and destruction, hope and despair. Yet, here they were, standing on the precipice of an alliance that defied nature itself.

The ancient prophecy had spoken of this day, a day when the world would face a threat so great that even mortal enemies would have to unite or watch everything perish. The source of that threat lay in the Abyssal Gate, a rift between dimensions that had begun to open, threatening to unleash horrors beyond imagination upon the world.

Seraphine’s grip tightened on her sword, its blade humming with the light of a thousand suns. “I don’t trust you, Rafe,” she said, her voice as cold as the winter wind. “But I’ll fight alongside you if it means stopping the Abyssal Gate from opening.”

Rafe’s lips curled into a mirthless smile. “The feeling is mutual, Lightbringer. But we both know this isn’t about trust. It’s about survival.” His voice was dark and smooth as velvet, with an edge that made Seraphine’s skin prickle.

Their mutual hatred simmered between them, a palpable force that threatened to tear them apart even as they prepared to face the coming storm. But there was something else there too, something neither wanted to acknowledge—a strange, almost magnetic pull that had drawn them together despite the enmity that had defined their lives.

“Let’s get this over with,” Seraphine muttered, turning her back on him to face the Abyssal Gate. The air around it crackled with energy, the ground beneath their feet trembling as if the very earth was recoiling from the unnatural force that had been awakened.

Rafe’s gaze lingered on her longer than necessary, something unreadable flickering in his eyes before he too turned his attention to the Gate. “Together, then.”

As they approached the Gate, the world seemed to warp and twist around them. The sky darkened, the sun obscured by thick clouds of unnatural shadow. The air was heavy with the stench of sulphur and decay, and the distant wails of the damned echoed in their ears.

Seraphine’s heart pounded in her chest as she forced herself to focus. She could feel the darkness pressing in on her, the malevolent energy of the Gate seeping into her very soul. But she was the Lightbringer, the chosen of the gods, and she would not falter.

“On three,” she said, her voice steady despite the terror clawing at her insides. “One... two... three!”

Together, they unleashed their power.

Rafe summoned the shadows, weaving them into tendrils of pure darkness that wrapped around the Gate, anchoring it in place. Seraphine followed suit, channelling her light into a beam of searing brilliance that struck the centre of the rift. The two forces collided with a thunderous roar, sending shockwaves rippling through the air.

For a moment, it seemed as if they might succeed. The Gate shuddered, the darkness retreating as the light poured into it. But then, with a sound like shattering glass, the Gate began to widen, the darkness devouring the light as if it were nothing.

“No!” Seraphine cried out, pouring every ounce of her strength into her attack. But it was no use. The Gate was too strong, the darkness too powerful.

“Pull back!” Rafe shouted, his voice strained. “We can’t hold it!”

Seraphine’s heart sank as she realised he was right. If they stayed any longer, they would be consumed by the very forces they sought to destroy. But if they retreated now, there would be nothing left to stop the Gate from opening fully.

“We need a new plan,” she said, her voice tight with desperation. “We can’t do this alone.”

Rafe’s eyes narrowed as he considered their options. “There might be a way,” he said slowly. “But it will require a... sacrifice.”

Seraphine looked at him sharply. “What kind of sacrifice?”

“The kind that binds our fates together,” Rafe replied, his voice low and serious. “If we combine our powers—truly combine them—we might be able to seal the Gate. But it would mean linking our souls, becoming one in a way that neither of us might survive.”

Seraphine’s breath caught in her throat. The thought of merging her soul with his—of becoming one with the man she had spent her life fighting—was almost too much to bear. Yet, beneath the terror, something darker and more thrilling thrummed through her, a temptation she couldn’t entirely dismiss.

“Do it,” she said, her voice trembling with a mixture of fear and determination. “If it’s the only way, then do it.”

Rafe hesitated for a moment, his dark eyes searching hers, probing for doubt. What he saw there seemed to surprise him—a resolve that matched his own, and something more, something that sent a jolt of recognition through him, as if they had always been two sides of the same coin.

“Hold on to me,” he whispered, stepping closer until their bodies were nearly touching. The heat of him, the dark, electric energy radiating from his skin, made her breath hitch. “This will be... intense.”

Seraphine’s pulse quickened as she raised her hands, clasping his in a grip that was both a lifeline and a challenge. The instant their palms met, a surge of energy passed between them—an overwhelming force that sent fire and ice coursing through her veins. It was as if her soul had been set ablaze, the light within her colliding with his darkness in a violent, heady clash that stole her breath and ignited something primal deep inside.

She gasped, her fingers tightening around his as the power built between them, a force greater than either had ever wielded alone. Rafe’s eyes darkened with something far more dangerous than mere hatred, a storm of emotions swirling within them—desire, fury, longing, and something raw and unnameable that made her shiver.

Together, they directed their combined power at the Gate. The effect was immediate. The darkness that had been pouring from the rift began to recede, the Gate shuddering as it fought against the force trying to close it. Seraphine could feel the strain in every fibre of her being, her soul screaming in agony as it was stretched to its limits.

Rafe was no better off. His usually calm demeanour was gone, replaced by a look of raw pain as he struggled to maintain the connection. But despite the torment, there was something else in his eyes—a look that made Seraphine’s heart lurch in her chest.

Vulnerability. And beneath it, buried deep within the layers of hatred and darkness, was something even more dangerous—admiration, need, and a fierce, undeniable pull that drew them together like gravity.

Seraphine’s breath came in ragged gasps as she stared into his eyes, feeling the boundaries between them blur, their souls entangled in a way that was as exhilarating as it was terrifying. The power between them grew, pushing the Gate closer to closure, but also pushing them closer—too close.

The realisation hit her like a physical blow. Despite everything, despite the years of animosity and the battles they had fought, there was a part of her that wanted him. A part of her that craved the darkness he offered, that was drawn to the raw, untamed energy that surged between them.

She saw the same hunger reflected in his eyes, a dark, burning need that sent a shock of heat through her. It was madness, a desire born of their shared power, but it was real, and it threatened to consume them both.

The Gate was nearly closed, the darkness retreating, but with a final, desperate surge, the abyss lashed out. Seraphine gasped as a tendril of shadow wrapped around her, pulling her towards the rift.

“Seraphine!” Rafe’s voice was rough, filled with a desperation that cut through the haze of power. He tightened his grip on her, pulling her back with a strength that surprised even him. “Don’t you dare let go!”

But the darkness was too strong, its pull too powerful. Seraphine could feel herself slipping, the shadows dragging her closer to the Abyssal Gate, the void calling to her with promises of oblivion.

“Please, Rafe!” she cried, her voice breaking with the weight of everything unsaid between them. “Don’t let go!”

“I won’t!” he shouted, his voice raw with emotion. But even as he said the words, she could feel his grip slipping, the shadows tearing her from his grasp.

In that moment, Seraphine knew what had to be done. With a cry of determination, she poured the last of her power into him, pushing him away even as the darkness closed in around her. The force of her sacrifice was enough to seal the Gate, the rift collapsing in on itself with a blinding flash of light.

When the light faded, the Gate was gone, the sky clear once more. But Seraphine was nowhere to be seen.

Rafe staggered to his feet, his chest heaving with the effort to breathe. “Seraphine!” he called out, his voice hoarse with anguish. But there was no answer, only the echo of his own voice in the empty silence.

He sank to his knees, the weight of her absence crushing him. She was gone. The woman who had been his enemy, his ally, and more—so much more—was gone.

But as he knelt there, he felt something stir within him. A warmth, faint but unmistakable, blossomed in his chest, filling the void she had left behind. It was a remnant of her light, a part of her soul that had fused with his in those final moments.

Rafe closed his eyes, feeling tears prick at the corners. She wasn’t truly gone. She was with him, a part of him now, forever intertwined with his own darkness.

With a deep breath, he rose to his feet, feeling the weight of the world settle on his shoulders once more. He had a new purpose now—a promise to keep. He would protect the light she had left behind, carry it within him, and ensure that her sacrifice had not been in vain.

And maybe, just maybe, one day he would find her again, in whatever world lay beyond this one.

For now, he would walk the path they had started together, a Shadowmancer with a Lightbringer’s heart. And as he did, he would remember the woman who had changed everything, who had shown him that even in the darkest of places, there could be light—and even in the brightest, there could be darkness.

August 12, 2024 08:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Lonnie Russo
15:23 Aug 20, 2024

This was electric! You have a talent for writing action, and the odds and stakes felt real and insurmountable. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yuliya Borodina
11:00 Aug 19, 2024

A beautiful prose that quickly creates a sense of an epic scale. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
21:29 Aug 12, 2024

What an incredible story!!! Fantasy is not at all my style, but I thought this was brilliant! I was hooked right from the start (your first sentence was beautiful, so poetic), & then I remained engrossed throughout… I’d no idea where you were taking us. Bravo! 👏👏

Reply

Samantha Red
07:01 Aug 14, 2024

Thank you so much for your review! I really appreciated this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
07:11 Aug 14, 2024

My pleasure 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.