About A Girl

Submitted into Contest #115 in response to: Write a story where a device goes haywire.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Funny Drama

«Look, I understand... yes... yes... but I don't have any money right now... Yes, I understand... Look, let's discuss it in person, it's not convenient over the phone...»

         Henry didn't have time to finish the sentence, the phone slipped out of his wet hands and fell right down the drain.

«Wonderful... beautiful rain. How I love this rain!»

***

"Mom, I'm home," Henry said.

"Hey, how was your day?"

"It was a good day, but I drowned my phone."

"What did you say? What are you going to do now? How are you going to live without it?"

"I don't know, but I think I'll be fine."

"Are you going somewhere with your friends tomorrow, aren’t you? How are you going to keep in touch with me and the others?" my mom asked.

"I'll text them on the computer, but I don't know, I don't have the money for a new phone."

"All people are like people, except you" Mom concluded.

***

It was a sunny afternoon when Henry met up with his friends. They were going to visit one of the ancient World War II fortresses.

"That's funny, and how are you going to be without a phone now?"

"Look, I don't know, people lived somehow, so I'm gonna try."

"Henry, for God sake, do not get lost, because the fortress is big, a lot of museums, halls and places. How are we going to find you?"

"All right, do not worry, mates" Henry replied.

"If you get lost, you know where our car is," concluded one of the friends.

The fortress was truly unique and rich in historical events. Ancient fortress walls with bullet marks, traces from former trenches, memorials and monuments. The old bunker attracted the most Henry’s attention. Henry reached into his pocket automatically for his phone. Missed.

"Oh, right... Okay, there will be no photos..damn" thought Henry.

The first museum, the second, the crowds of tourists with cameras, phones, headphones, one thing led to another, and Henry did not notice how he lost his friends in the crowd. Attempts to find them were unsuccessful and Henry continued to explore the fortress alone.

         As he walked out of one enclosure onto the street, Henry smiled at the sunny day and clear weather and then decided to walk to the most important place of this fortress. The place was popular because it had the most beautiful view of the main entrance to the fortress, with a large square and a memorial to the fallen defenders.

         Today, the place was a welcome sight for everyone. Everyone but Henry. Lost in the crowd of friends, he stood in despair, watching all the people who came up, posed, took pictures, laughed and left. Henry lost track of time, his thoughts drifting off into that universe where he probably has a phone at this point to call his friends, find them, and then take a photo together. This effect lasted until the most beautiful voice, comparable to that of Lana Del Rey in the song "Summertime Sadness" called out to him and then tapped him on the back.

Henry turned around.

"Excuse me, aren't you busy, can you take a picture of me?"

         Henry froze, as did everything inside him. All feelings, emotions, thoughts, and heartbeats froze and stopped responding in an instant. There was a dead silence. But in a second, they were all waking up again at an accelerated pace. The most frantic pace of Henry's life. The moment stretched for him like an eternity of the universe.

"Hey, are you here?" a girl asked.

         Standing in front of him was a girl his age, bright as an angel, a little shorter than him, with a beautiful smile. This kind of smile we have of remembering the kindest and the coziest stories of our lives.

"You sleep standing up, don't you?" she asked and laughed.

"No, no, no, who am I? Not at all! Just wondering..." suddenly came back to life Henry

"Will you take a picture of me?" she asked again, smiling.

"Yeah, sure, no problem."

"Then here you go," she handed him the phone.

"Are you ready?" asked Henry.

"Yeah, go ahead."

         He took a few pictures after that she walked quickly over to him and took the phone.

"Thank you," she said.

"You're welcome, why not selfies?"

"I don't like selfies. Who isn't sick of them yet?"

"That's right," Henry pointed out.

         For a moment there might have seemed to be an awkward pause between them, but the girl quickly cleared it with a question:

"Why are you standing here alone? Let's take your picture too" she said and smiled.

         Henry was embarrassed.

"Yeah, that's not a bad idea, but I don't have anything."

"What do you mean?" she asked

"I mean...I don't have-"

         She interrupted him.

"Oh, I see, you don't have a phone or a camera?"

"Yeah, I'm empty."

"Well that's weird, he's standing in the middle of a museum where crowds of tourists come, but he doesn't have a phone or even a camera. How did this even happen?" she thought to herself

"Life. This is life. It's just my fun life. Yes, Henry, that's how it happens. You show up at a museum without your phone, and it's the kind of day a story happens to you that no one would believe. It's just embarrassing, what will she think of me? How embarrassing," Henry thought to himself.

"Look, it's nothing, let's take pictures on my phone and then I'll send them to you, okay? Don't you have a profile somewhere?" she said.

"Oh...that would be great! Yeah, sure, I have a profile."

         After taking a couple of pictures, Henry walked over to her.

"What's your name by the way? My name is Henry."

"Alice" she smiled, moving her glance from the phone screen to Henry.

"Nice to meet you." Henry smiled

"Me too." She laughed

         Both looked at each other with a smile, and then Henry told her the name of his profile where she could send him pictures.

***

Henry spent more than four hours that day in the fortress, walking from one enclosure to the next, researching all the details and historical references. All this, unfortunately for him, could not be said of Henry's friends. They had finished their tour of the fortress much earlier and were each beginning to wonder:

         Where is Henry?

         The boys spent about two hours looking for Henry, they broke up one by one and then walked together again conducting a search for their friend. They had no chance of finding Henry, but their conscience would not allow them to leave him here and go away on their own.

         After a while they simply gave up and went back to the car, where Henry was supposed to go in case he was lost. It was early evening and the crowds of people were changing one by one, and they all sat and waited until Henry appeared on the horizon:

         "Henry!" shouted one of the friends.

         "Coming," retorted Henry.

         "And you think that's okay?" inquired the friend.

         "I'm sorry, guys, for what happened."

         "We had plans today and besides this fortress, and you've been there all day, you think that's okay, don't you?"

"I understand, it's my fault. But-"

         "No buts, you're an egotist who thinks only of himself. We've been all over the place, where have you been?" insisted one of the friends.

         "I've been everywhere," said Henry.

         "I have no words, we just wasted a day on that fortress because of you. What was there to look at for so long? Say what?!"

         "I'm really sorry," replied Henry sadly.

         "You don't have a phone, how did you imagine we'd find you? Tell me, how?"

         "I don't know..."

         "If you had your phone with you, things would be different, you know? We've spent so much time looking for you, you only think of yourself. You could have called us, told us you still wanted to walk around here, we would have come back for you later. It would have been so easy if you had a phone," one of the friends concluded angrily.

***

Thus ended Henry's first day without a phone. The first day and already such a ridiculous situation. The thought crawled deeper and deeper into his head that it was impossible to live without a phone nowadays. The only problem was that no one asked him, he just didn't have a phone anymore. And he didn't have one in the plans either.

The only bright spot was his introduction to Alice. In a moment of conflict with his friends, he didn't find a moment to tell them all about it. A couple or three days passed, and Henry was actively chatting with Alice by his computer. The days were approaching Friday, and Henry wanted to see her again, so he decided to ask Alice to meet with him.

***

For several days he thought the idea over. He chose the right words, chose the best day to meet, and finally gathered the strength to ask Alice out. It wasn't an easy task for a guy like Henry. He was afraid. Especially afraid of getting rejected. Pulling himself together, he opened the chat and wrote to her.

"Hey, Alice, wanna ask something. What are you doing tonight?" asked Henry.

"Busy right now, not at home, but I'll be free tonight, why are u asking that?"

"I'm going out tonight, will you come with me?" inquired Henry

"Good idea, I'm in" she replied

Henry was incredibly happy that things were working out so well. He was not the kind of guy who found new acquaintances easily, so at this moment he was overwhelmed with a feeling of happiness, and his lungs were even more greedily absorbing the air filled with joy.

"What time would be convenient for you and where?" asked Henry

"I dunno, up to you."

"How about 10 p.m. at the cinema?" suggested Henry.

"Fine, that's fine."

This Friday was going to be legendary in his life. The happiness of spending an evening with a girl he liked had not visited him in a long time in his life.

"Oh, wait, Henry, are you still without your phone?" asked Alice.

"Well yeah, I'm without it."

"And how are we going to meet up? And what happened with your phone?"

"Look, I'll just come to the movie theater at 10 p.m., and then I'll tell you why I don't have my phone."

"Okay, but how will I see u there?" she kept asking.

"I'll be standing right in front, you'll see me, it's okay" reassured her Henry

"But if I get there and you're not there... I don't know what I'll do to you!" wrote Alice.

Such a message surprised Henry. A girl who writes in that style is hardly going to not come.

"Do not worry, I won’t screw it up”

Evening was beginning to creep closer and closer to the city. The big red and tired sun reflected in the windows of the high-rise buildings, and the streets were filled with the Friday atmosphere and the people who breathed it. Most of them had made their way to their homes to begin the long-awaited weekend, others had left their apartments in hopes of spending this Friday night at its best. Such was Henry this time.

The pillars called "evening" had been over the city for several hours and night with darkness were stretched on them.

At that moment, anyone who wanted to see farther than the windows of the house across the street could see Henry, who had foreseen all his excitement and had left the house beforehand, so as not to be late in any way.

He bought a bus ticket, which he usually never did in his life, and went to the cinema.

He managed to get there thirty minutes early. During the ride, he stopped worrying perceptibly and got his thoughts together.

Everything was perfect.

The back of the movie theater was hidden in the night and only its facade was illuminated by lanterns under which one could see posters. Henry asked someone what time is it and began to wait.

On the door of the movie theater was written, "Open from 10 a.m to 10 p.m"

That was his reference point.

When the movie theater would close - Alice would have to come.

Time passed, and Henry walked from side to side down the lonely street. People were watching a movie at the cinema, so there were no people outside the cinema, except for one guy besides Henry.

After a while he turned to Henry.

"Listen, do you have Internet on your phone? I really need it."

Henry turned around.

"Nope, sorry."

It was ten o'clock and the movie theater closed. The lights that illuminated the posters turned off.

Alice was running late.

It was at this point that Henry's sense of longing overwhelmed him. From standing around like a fool for more than thirty minutes to the fact that he had no phone.

"Why don't I have a phone at such an important time? Why?! This life is full of surprises. How wonderful it is. I have no words. If I had my phone, I'd text or call her right now. Find out why she's late, maybe she's not coming at all. I mean, she was going to come. I was sure of it. What went wrong? How much longer would I have to stand? Maybe she took my invitation as a joke. Is she just laughing at me? I still don't believe she's not coming. I'll keep waiting." pondered Henry to himself.

In the toothless darkness he could only see the light from the phone held by the guy who had asked Henry about the Internet.

Henry, on the other hand, stood without any light in the dead silence.

That same legendary Friday was almost ruined.

"Look, are you waiting for someone or what?" the guy suddenly asked Henry.

To say that Henry was surprised by the question is to say nothing.

He tried to answer something.

"Yeah...you could say that."

"Can I give you the phone? You can call to." the guy suggested.

That's certainly a good suggestion. Especially if you have a number. Her number.

"Thanks, but I don't remember the number," replied Henry.

The guy didn't give up. Something moved him to help Henry. Something unknown. Maybe it was Lady Luck.

"I caught some internet, maybe you'll write then?" the guy didn't back down.

"No, thank you very much, but that won't help."

Henry couldn't remember the address of her social networking page. It was a failure.

"What time is it?" asked Henry.

"10:24," replied the guy.

"Thank you," said Henry.

Henry looked around the street and realized: Alice was not coming.

This was the end. A sense of sadness and longing drowned not only this Friday night, but also Henry's heart and feelings. All the organs inside clenched in horror at the sadness that filled Henry's entire body.

He doesn’t care anymore about all these decorations and colors of such a beautiful evening. All he wanted now was to disappear. Disappear into the world.

Early the next morning Henry left the city and went to the village to visit his grandmother for a few days. To go somewhere where life without a telephone might not have the consequences that had happened to him during that week.

***

Returning home a couple of days later, still without his phone, Henry turned on his computer and saw a message from Alice.

"I am so sorry, Henry, but I overslept! Forgive me."

He smiled.


October 14, 2021 12:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John K Adams
23:45 Oct 21, 2021

Our foolish dependence on 'smart' devices is well portrayed here. I'm glad at the ending. A tip? Read your work aloud before the final edit. Some of your dialogue is a tad off. That might help it focus better.

Reply

Philip Dmitriev
00:28 Oct 22, 2021

Hello, thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.