Contest #170 winner 🏆

116 comments

American Teens & Young Adult Sad

This story contains sensitive content

Fini Flight


Tigger Warning:

Suicide, Violence, Swearing



"It's like flying."

She said as I peered down at the two dead bodies laying on the ground below me. I was one of the four who decided to jump instead. The unlucky four who didn't escape.

"Well?"

Well what? You're asking me to jump off a fucking building.

"Together?" I ask

"No, you go first."

What does that mean? Is she really going to chicken out? She was the one who so readily agreed to the idea.

"What?"

"You go first."

"No."

"Why?"

"What do you mean why?" I can feel the anger inside of me boiling up to the lid like rice does when you forget about it. She so willingly wanted to jump when I didn't; now she refuses. "You want me to jump off a building. You want me to end my own life." I can now feel tears pooling in my eyes as I realize what the last sentence meant. 

“Just plea-”

“NO!” I scream. Finally losing my cool. “YOU PIECE OF SHIT! I DON’T WANT TO JUMP FIRST! FOR FUCK SAKE I DON’T WANT TO JUMP AT ALL!”

At this point, I’m sobbing. A full fit like a two-year-old. I crumble to the ground and hide my face in my hands. Gunshots ring under me in the building on which I sit. I now realize we were not the only "unlucky four" who didn’t escape. That’s why we came up here in the first place. To die peacefully. Or as peacefully as we could. I sit on the concrete bawling until my head is throbbing with pain.

I realize Kelsie, the poor girl I just screamed at doesn't feel any different than I do. My conscience punishes me by bombarding my mind with scoldings from all different corners of my head. She didn't deserve that. We're all losing our shit. Don't blame her. You're so selfish. What is wrong with you? You deserve to be laying down there with the others.

I pull myself together enough to stand up and apologize.

"I'm sorry. I truly am, you didn't deserve that," I say while wiping the tears and snot onto my navy blue sleeve. I finally turn my head up to look her in the eye, but I am met with nothing but with a blue sky filled with clouds. Kelsie's not there. Through my tantrum, I didn’t hear the clap of her body hitting the blacktop parking lot that lay three stories below me.

She was dead.


I was the only one left. 


My head is spinning. My legs feel numb like they do after getting off a roller coaster. Finally, after standing in the same spot for what feels like an eternity, my mind switches to what you could call flight mode. I sprint over to the giant vent and rip the grate off. I squeeze in the best I can and replace the grate, completely unconscious of what I’m doing.

Tears are streaming down my face as I pull myself further and further back into the whirring metal box. The sound of gunshots echo in my ears. That moment from no longer than forty-five minutes ago plays on repeat in my head. Kids scurrying through the hallways with looks of terror on their faces. The moment when we all realized this was it. This was the end of our lives. Everything ended in the hallways of a shitty high school. 


Not me.


I survived. 



○ ○ ○



My eyes flutter open. I fell asleep. I take a breath, letting the cool air of a Michigan night fill my lungs. I can hear the chatter of people not far off. 

I take the vent cover off and wiggle my way out, my entire body cracking as I sit up on the cold concrete. I sit there for who knows how long listening to the chattering people. They’re talking about something terrible.

...42 were killed.”

“...4 are missing.”

“They’re all dead…”

I stand up and walk over to the edge of the roof where I can hear the people and look down. The people go quiet and look back at me. Suddenly the group breaks apart, some heading towards their red and blue flashing cars, while others rush into the school.

About thirty seconds later I hear, Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump. People running up a staircase. Then the door to the roof bursts open.

“HEY! KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM!” A man yells, I assume at me, however, I don’t move at all. I can't, I'm too exhausted. Three other men follow him through the door and start to surround me with their guns pointed at the ground. I look up at them and they relax, seeing I have nothing but my ripped zip-up hoodie. Two of the men put their guns in their holsters and start to move in closer.

No.

No. No. No. No. No. NO! Unintentionally, I jump back away from the men, pulling my sweatshirt tight around my waist. 

“It’s alright. We’re here to help.” says the man who first came barreling through the door. I quickly take another step back, not letting him get any closer.

“I promise you we are here to help.” says the man again. He extends his hand towards me so I can take it. I look at it and my lungs start to feel like they’re shrinking. They feel so small I can barely breathe. I sit down gasping for air when suddenly my hand is in someone else's.

“Hey, hey, hey, deep breaths. Deep breaths. Ready? Watch me.” I don’t look up, instead, I stare at a tiny piece of rock embedded in the concrete. He starts taking exaggerated breaths in through his nose and out through his mouth, just like every yoga instructor I've ever met. The sound of my heart in my ears is fading; my breathing is slowing down. All the men have left, leaving just the first man and me.

“Better?” Says the man. I nod, still refusing to look at him.

“Can I ask what your name is?” I take a deep breath and answer him, trying my best not to let my voice crack.

“Piper,” I say quietly.

“Hi Piper, I’m Ceader, how old are you?”

“Fifteen,”

“What grade are you in?”

“Tenth.”

“Tenth grade, very good. Piper, are you hurt anywhere?”

“I think I hurt my ankle.” I hadn't even noticed. As we continue to talk, my confidence builds little by little.

“Are you able to walk?”

"I think so."

“Great, if you can, I would like to ask you to come down to the parking lot with me. We want to ask you some questions.”

“Who’s we?”

“The police. Your school was attacked today and we’re trying to figure out why it happened.

Ask me why it happened. Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with these people? What happened was another high school in America got screwed over again. 

“...But first, do you have a family? Mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, anyone who you feel comfortable contacting?”

“No.”

“No one?”

“No.”

I wonder where mom is right now. If she would have given a shit if her only kid died. You idiot. Of course she wouldn’t have. She left me. Left me to figure out my life on my own. A fifteen-year-old to fend for herself.

“Okay then, you’re gonna stick with us until we can figure something out for you.”

“Alright."

“Alright.” Says Ceader, leading the way to the rooftop's door.

Instead of following, I stand in one place with my feet glued to the ground.

Why didn’t I die? Why did I survive? The person who has nothing to live for is living. So many people died. People with a life. People who had someone who cared about them. I robbed them of that. I don't deserve to live. 

I refuse.


I burst into tears.


Ceader turns back around. I look at him and he seems to know what I'm thinking. He starts running toward me but is too slow. I reach the edge of the building and turn around. He stops and looks me dead in the eye.

"Piper. Stop. Please Piper don't do anything."

He speaks to his chest, requesting backup but it won't help him.

"Look away. Please" I ask, for his sake.

He lunges at me but it's too late. I fall back.


I always did want to fly.



November 04, 2022 04:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

116 comments

Willie Tee
17:54 Nov 12, 2022

This was a great story because it kept me reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Greta Bonati
17:05 Nov 12, 2022

wow. just wow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Purvaja S
02:04 Nov 12, 2022

Congratulations on the win. I know for on, that if I tried to write a story like this, it definitely would not have come out this good without at least a good week of revisions. I think that this is a really good story but that it could use a little more fleshing out. Some other people have already mentioned that the other kids' motivation for jumping off wasn't really clear. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that maybe this problem could be solved if maybe the shooter was about to go onto the roof, or something similar? Just something that...

Reply

Camphor White
03:24 Nov 12, 2022

Thank you for the ideas of how to make more sense of the kids jumping off. They are DEFINITELY going to help me. I really appreciate it so so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:47 Nov 11, 2022

A whirlwind, dramatic story! Right off the hop we get a terrible situation to be in - being faced with a violent death. So our protagonist's choice is down to how she wants to die, by the gun or by the fall. Terrible choice to have to make. It's an emotional ride, and she hits the survivor's guilt quickly once the police arrive. It leads her to a tragic end. Or does it? I'm left with questions. Many of them. The big one, of course, is why did they jump? Why did they choose to die by jumping? For Piper, it's clear. She has no one in her li...

Reply

Camphor White
00:06 Nov 12, 2022

Thank you so much for this. My initial idea was that the kids were in shock at what was happening and weren't being rational about the decisions they were making, so they decided to jump instead. But now thinking about it again, it really does open up a lot of questions (especially if you don't clarify enough in the actual story😅) I plan on going back through and editing it with everyone's suggestions in mind, so this was really helpful. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Squires
23:23 Nov 11, 2022

Awesome story - congrats on the win. :) I didn't find it confusing at all and I thought it was very well-written with a pretty good plot. There may have been one or two teeny tiny mistakes regarding present and past tense, but not significant enough to ruin the story. I guess if I did have to question something about it - my question would be: why did some students kill themselves rather than take their chances of being shot by the school shooter? Perhaps the perpetrator would have spared them...? And maybe they didn't need to jump......

Reply

Camphor White
00:16 Nov 12, 2022

Hi! thank you so much for your feedback! I have seen a lot of these comments asking as to "why" they jumped. My first idea was the kids were just in shock and remembered the 9/11 tragedy and how that ended for many people, but now that I think about it that's not clear at all. I am hoping to NOT forget to edit this, and then re-publish it to my profile with the corrections. Your suggestions are really helpful, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Edge
21:36 Nov 11, 2022

Really enjoyed this one. Was initially reading it from the POV of a middle-aged man/teacher, it was even more heartbreaking reading from the POV of a teenager. Nice work and congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mộng Mơ
20:47 Nov 11, 2022

WOW, what a short story. The end is interesting though! Congrats on being the winner for that entry! You wrote this well! Hope that one day I can get my short stories published or at least won in short story contest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel Fernandes
20:02 Nov 11, 2022

Congrats on the win. Especially on your first submission. I was hoping I would have at least gotten a short list for my story but didn't. There is always a next time. I enjoyed the idea and your input on a topic many are fearful of attempting. Much love write on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lacey Hill
18:35 Nov 11, 2022

Congrats on the win, this was really unique and well written!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
April Hichens
17:35 Nov 11, 2022

Excellent, particularly in light of the prompt you chose! Engaged from the beginning. Well done and congratulations

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
17:23 Nov 11, 2022

:) Clapping. Congratulations

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alice Hoffman
17:22 Nov 11, 2022

I found this story difficult to follow and the writing was very juvenile.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
18:18 Nov 11, 2022

Can we see your writing?

Reply

Jeff Stephanos
19:43 Nov 11, 2022

I would have to agree with this person. You don't have to be a writer to see that this is hard to follow. I'm not a mechanic, but if my engine starts smoking I can tell something is wrong.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
17:22 Nov 11, 2022

That was heartbreaking, and great writing. Congrats on the win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lindsay Flo
17:17 Nov 11, 2022

Congratulations! This was a good lead up and really breaks it down what a traumatic and horrifying experience a school shooting is. I at first thought it was a heist or bank robbery gone wrong, criminals trapped on top of a building with no choice but to jump. It was a little heartbreaking to realize the MC was a fifteen year old girl named Piper. I think you also did a good job bringing gravity to how traumatic something that, as much as we don't want it to be, has become a common occurrence in America :/ Nicely done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
16:55 Nov 11, 2022

Whoa, Camphor, that is stunning! The only "criticism" I have to offer is I'd like to read more - please.

Reply

KarLynn Erickson
16:50 Nov 12, 2022

I completely agree!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LOVLEEN SINGH
18:20 Nov 10, 2022

This is a very powerful and interesting story! enjoyed reading it! Well done.

Reply

Camphor White
22:23 Nov 11, 2022

Thank you so much for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tricia Shulist
22:27 Nov 08, 2022

Wow. That was a powerful story. Thanks for this

Reply

Camphor White
02:40 Nov 09, 2022

Wow, thanks so much for reading it. It really means a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Linear
17:21 Dec 02, 2022

Hola me llamo Jonathan tengo 18 años actualmente resido en españa

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sage B
21:25 Nov 17, 2022

I was at the edge of my seatthe whole entire story!! Beautiful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Khan Honeyghan
22:58 Nov 12, 2022

I really liked it. It kept me engaged and pondering each turn of events.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.