303 comments

Mystery Suspense

My life is precious, everything about me is precious. My world, my job, my little computer. I enjoy them and I would rather nothing change. This is my time of peace, my joy, I love everything. The only problem is-

There it is? Did you hear it? Did you hear that little tick that threatens my life. I turn and there it is, I take a step forward but it is right ahead. I smile and it smiles right back, I sleep and it wakes me up. I need to get away, I need to run, I canโ€™t let it catch me- I canโ€™t. All my life it watches me, even on my greatest days I see it watching me like a thief. Even when I stop it moves on without me, leaving me behind.

I fasten my steps, but you're right ahead, so I turn around and your right there. What do you want from me? I havenโ€™t done anything wrong, I just want to live my precious life, please stop chasing me! Please.

I turn down Monroe street and I bump into someone.

โ€œAre you okay Miss? You look frightened.โ€

โ€œMiss? My name is Aurora!โ€ I yell, much to his surprise. โ€œSorry, there is someone chasing me-โ€

His eyes look past me into the darkness, then he meets my eyes.

โ€œSomeone?โ€

โ€œYes yes, someone โ€ฆsomeone- no somethingโ€ I respond grabbing his shoulder.

โ€œI donโ€™t really see anything.โ€ he says. Of course he doesnโ€™t, every time I try to tell someone about this, they have this look in their eye, they think Iโ€™m crazy.

โ€œMaโ€™am-โ€

โ€œAurora!โ€ I interrupt.

โ€œAurora, maybe I could walk you home if that will make you feel safer.โ€ he says with worry in his eyes.

โ€œNo! I have already put you in enough risk, just get out of here! Run as fast as you can, donโ€™t let it catch you, okay?!โ€ I look around and rush away, I hear it, why wonโ€™t it stop.

I was twelve when it started, it was my birthday and I remember me being all smiley. I finally was growing older, I could finally go on the rides I wanted too, I could finally be taken seriously. I was growing older. But that was when it hit me; I was growing older. I finally sat up in my princess dress that was way to small for me now, I picked up my tiara and suddenly something caught my eye. Something irritated my ears, something sour on my tongue, goosebumps rippled over my skin. I could feel it on my body, it was disgusting.

I ran to find my parents and before I knew it I was 24, and they laid on their bed, tired. It still chased me, chased me everywhere, I couldnโ€™t even breathe because I knew that was a count down. The count down to my death. I ran looking for my parents and before I knew it I was 36 and they were dead. They werenโ€™t fast enough.

You took them, it took them. And it was going to take me too if I didnโ€™t run. That man better be running too if he knows whatโ€™s best for him.

Did you know I was the fastest runner in 5th grade? I could run for miles without taking a break. At least thatโ€™s what my mother told me. But now look at me, gasping for air, back in pain, and sweat rolling down my forehead. Its already catching me. When did it drug me? I canโ€™t even remember anymore. All I know is that I have to run, to keep running, I will not let it catch my precious life. I canโ€™t even live my life but once I outrun this thing, I will live without concern. Give me ti-

No! Iโ€™m late for work! I run to the bathroom, my eyebags have become more visible. My eyes look dead and tired its a shell compared to my curious eyes in the past. Look at what Iโ€™m becoming, donโ€™t worry I just need to outrun it. Then I can live in peace.

My roommate is sitting in the corner eating her cereal, everyday she looks more creeped out by me. She barely comes home and claims to be working 3 shifts a day. I know she wants to get out of this apartment as soon as possible, because of me? Its not my fault, its its fault. They donโ€™t understand, Iโ€™m running for my life.

โ€œUm you should probably eat, you donโ€™t look so good.โ€ she says slowly putting her full bowl of cereal back on the table.

โ€œNo, ti-ti-ti-โ€ I stammer.

โ€œOkay! Okay! Just goโ€ she says with fear in her eyes.

โ€œOkay.โ€ I forgot what the quote said but I remember the ending โ€œ โ€“ waits for no oneโ€

I work every day, I love my job, mostly cause everyone leaves everyone alone. No one calls me weird and Iโ€™m good at what I do. But my job is- its filled with them. They are everywhere. Every room. Every corner. I canโ€™t take it. I canโ€™t.

I close my ears and my eyes in fear. The rooms fill with โ€˜Are you okayโ€™. โ€œNoโ€ฆIโ€™m not just get them out of here and Iโ€™ll be fine.โ€

โ€œGet what? What Aurora?โ€

โ€œThe- the things- they are everywhere please! Please get them out!โ€ I point to the walls.

โ€œTim-?โ€

And just like that, I pass out, and when I wake up,

Iโ€™m 48.

Not enough-, not enough-, not enough-. Iโ€™m running out of-

I gasp in pain as I feel my head pound. The doctors are surrounding me and I look up at them. What is that on there wrist?

โ€œYou are sick.โ€

I am not.

โ€œStay here.โ€

No. I need to run! I need to run! You need to run! We all need to run!

โ€œWe can help you get better.โ€

No you canโ€™t, they are here tooo!!!

I scream in what seems like forever and just like thatโ€ฆ

I am 60.

โ€ฆThey havenโ€™t let me leave. I always wondered how I got here all those years ago but now I realize it was my roommate. She wanted the apartment to herself and she was gonna get it sooner or later. It was only a matter of โ€“

I cough. And blood releases from my lips. My body aches with pain, its unbearable. As โ€“ passes, it is catching me, tormenting me for all the times I ran away. I can no longer run with these shackles on my ankles. Or maybe I can? No. No I cannot.

The only thing left isโ€ฆ surrender. I must end this cycle once and for all. So I call out its nameโ€ฆ

โ€œ Tiโ€“โ€ I cough. โ€œPleaseโ€ฆ pleaseโ€ฆโ€

A silver shiny metal appears in the air and I watch as the three hands move. Each hand moving at their own pace, one with immense speed, another calm, and a turtle. I reach out my hand,

โ€œTi- ti- Time. Pleaseโ€ฆโ€ surrender. โ€œStop.โ€

Each hand stops with my word. They stop at the same spot- the same place where I began, where this chase began. 12.

My heart starts to beat slower, and for the first time in my life I feel free. My hand is filled with wrinkles, my body with running scars. My precious life. I never got to live, but to live means to be free. Why is it now that I understand the meaning, my whole life has gone to waste, the thing I wanted to protect is what I used as a shield. My precious life is destroyed, but at least I do not have to run anymore. At least I am free.

My hand touches the silver shiny metal which has completely stopped.

โ€œIfโ€ฆI had knownโ€ฆit would be that easyโ€ฆI would have said those words earlier. You caught meโ€ฆit was only a matter of ti- ti- time.โ€ I drop my hand and my heart disappears, with the pain and suffering. I can finally stop running, if only I had gotten to live after, I could have been happy on my death bed. But I guess it is true what they say-


Time waits for no one.


T I M E ๐Ÿ•›

November 30, 2020 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

303 comments

20:32 Nov 30, 2020

OOOOOOH THIS IS SO GREAT!!!!! Like okay wow, an insanely creative take on the prompt. I love how it spans over so long. You captured Auroraโ€™s panic so well! And the action is constant throughout. AWESOME STORYYYY SIS!!

Reply

Thank youu Aerin!! I was gonna come tell you I wrote a story but you beat me to it๐Ÿ˜‚

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
19:27 Nov 30, 2020

S P E E C H L E S S

Reply

Thank youuu Amany!๐Ÿ˜Š I'm assuming thats a good thingg!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:00 Nov 30, 2020

MHM

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:10 Nov 30, 2020

This was amazing!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!! A GREAT EXAMPLE OF YOUR WRITING ABILITY!

Reply

Thank youuu Luke!!! I'll check out some of your stories later today, or probably whenever but they will come!

Reply

. .
18:13 Nov 30, 2020

You're totally welcome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

THIS IS SO AMAZING!! WHENEVER I READ STORIES WHERE METAPHORS ARE LITERAL I LOVE THEM SO SO SO MUCH!!! *takes a deep breath* This deserves to win the contest, Ugochi! I love this so much if you can't tell. I love how you inserted time metaphors into it, great job!

Reply

Thank youuuu so much Crystal!!! Yes, i wanted to do something different this time!! And wow win?? Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
05:05 Nov 30, 2020

AHHHHH!!!! I love this! I start it and I'm like, okay, this has got to be one of those stories where something is impersonated. So I keep reading and then I'm like, no... she's clearly running from someone... And then I get to the middle and it's like ๐Ÿ’ก OHHHHHHH, It's TIME!!! This was great, just one thing: You said: "I fasten my steps, but your right ahead, so I turn around and your right there." It should be "you're", not "your". Otherwise, this was an amazing story!

Reply

Thank youuuu Phebe!!! I just fixed it, and reread it over, if you remember any other mistakes, feel free to tell me!! Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
05:27 Nov 30, 2020

Of course! I've almost finished my submission too, it'll be out either tonight or tomorrow!

Reply

Kay whenever you post it, I'll read!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:43 Nov 30, 2020

Posted! Go check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:32 Jan 01, 2021

lol idk if u remember me but i have pinterest..

Reply

Amaya .
18:57 Jan 01, 2021

oh. my god hiii!!! you prob don't know me but i've heard ab you from Aerin and I'm happy you're back! and doing better!

Reply

20:53 Jan 01, 2021

nooono i think i do know u, ur name looks familiar. anyway thanks sm u guys are so nice and supportive :D

Reply

Amaya .
22:19 Jan 01, 2021

we talked a bit during voting (nov 3) ofc!! could I follow ur Pinterest???

Reply

22:31 Jan 01, 2021

omg yes ofc whats urs

Reply

Amaya .
22:37 Jan 01, 2021

i messaged you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

CELESTE!!! Of course I remember youuu! Miss you๐Ÿ˜” Oh cool, wanna follow me?

Reply

20:51 Jan 01, 2021

YAYYY i wasnt sure since i changed my name and all , my Pinterest is @jimmyisalone hbu oh and I miss u too <333 mwahhh

Reply

Yeah well I think Aerin called you Jimmy once or twice so I knew right away! My pinterest is just my name haha. I'll follow you now! Okay I did! I heard your writing a story soon?

Reply

22:57 Jan 01, 2021

AHHH OKKK yeah im working on writing one for one of the prompts, but I'm not too sure about it agh

Reply

Sia S
07:01 Jan 02, 2021

OMFG THE KWEEN IS BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:01 Jan 02, 2021

OMFG THE KWEEN IS BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Yay! Well if you post it- I will definitely readd!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
10:08 Dec 25, 2020

Heyyyyyyy Sup?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:53 Dec 15, 2020

Hey

Reply

B. W.
01:50 Dec 16, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

I'm good, how about you?

Reply

B. W.
01:56 Dec 16, 2020

Im fine, though im working on yet another novel.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:56 Dec 12, 2020

Ugochi I made a new story!!

Reply

Yay! I'll check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hey Luke!! I have a lot of exams next week and well I am taking a break to study for them, once exams are over I'll come read your story! Is that okay?

Reply

. .
13:14 Dec 13, 2020

Oh yeah totally!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
16:22 Dec 12, 2020

Hey........ I need um, some crush advice? ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, if you dont want to its fine I'm probably irritating you woth this kind of thing anyway.

Reply

No no! Your not irritating me at alll! I LIVE FOR THIS! I'm also happy you came to me for this! But sure, whats going on?

Reply

Sia S
05:42 Dec 13, 2020

*deep sigh* Phew. Soo ugh Sarah likes Austin now (again) and I still kinda like him. I haven't told her this yet. Then yesterday she was supposed to go tell him, buut she chickened out. After that shs kept asking me for plans. (Since I'm the "mastermind" of our group. I gave her a few, but then the next day she got angry at me for no reason and started screaming. Then she told me to stay out of "her life" and that she's closing this "Austin Chapter". Although she's said this a lot. Then she comes begging back to me to give her a plan. WH...

Reply

Wow thats alot! And I have some veryyyy strong opinions and I hope this doesn't hurt you in anyway! For one! There is nothing wrong with both of you guys liking the same person, you like who you like, and she likes who she likes. But like I feel like thats causing alot of problems, and DON'T HOLD BACK YOUR FEELINGS! I feel like both of yall are holding it in, saying oh no I don't like him anymore and stuff," And maybe you should tell her how you feel about him ya know!? So that shes not unintentionally hurting you. Why do you like him ...

Reply

Sia S
07:27 Dec 13, 2020

Hmmmm okay!!!! Thanks soooo freaking MUCH!! I was so stressed about thissss. We sorta used to hate each other, so we had this fight (2 years ago) in which she called her mom down and her mom screamed at me for 20 minutes for "bullying" her. But, I didn't. I would NEVER bully anyone. In fact, she was the one passing mean comments at me, and I use to shake them of with an eyeroll. Soooo yeah. Ugh, Idk what to do anymore, lol. This whole thing, it's just damn confusing, 'cuz, well, Austin practically PROPSED to her. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ, And I guess the other...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
14:13 Dec 13, 2020

Riley, my bff. Was talking with Sarah alone in the morning, They called me, and then hid. I saw them from my balcony and asked "Why didn't you call me if you were playing Badminton?" Sarah replied, rather meanly, "HELLO?! We wanted some privacy?!!" While Riley stayed quiet. In the evening, when I saw them they acted super weird. I could sense that they were talking about me. And they were kinda mean. Riley was a WHOLE NEW person. We waded to songs and Riley was agreeing to WHATEVER Sarah said. The songs she LOVES she denied ev...

Reply

Wow, that sounds bad! I honestly feel like you should distance yourself from these people, they are honestly just messing with your energy. I mean so basically your friend Sarah is being rude to you. Riley honestly just took her side. I just feel like you will do better without them. I mean your feeling depressed because of all of this mess. They say, when things are going wrong that is when your closest friends show their true colors. Okay, I say that. But yes that is basically what they both did. Don't you think your life would be a b...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:40 Dec 08, 2020

Hi Snow! Whatcha doin ?

Reply

Hey Sky! I am just in class, you?

Reply

Sia S
03:10 Dec 09, 2020

Me 2 I'm doing fractionsss

Reply

Oh wow, how I wish I could go back to the fraction days๐Ÿ˜” cherish these days Sia! Cause soon you will have to deal with algebra 1, 2, 3!! Next thing you know your working with letters-

Reply

Sia S
07:22 Dec 09, 2020

*internally screams*

Reply

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Anyways hows life?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:55 Dec 03, 2020

Ugochi I posted a story featuring you!!

Reply

OmG! Wow! Wasn't expecting it to come so quickly! I'll check it out, in the morningg!!!

Reply

. .
12:36 Dec 04, 2020

This was the fifth for the last contest!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:38 Dec 02, 2020

Ugochi can you check out my new story???

Reply

. .
20:19 Dec 02, 2020

Yayyyyy!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.