38 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Historical Fiction

All of us soldiers were packed into a van, like cows in a pen. I saw the battlefield, with falling and fallen soldiers, with blood and rain carpeting the once-green field. Bullets were flying everywhere as the sound of firing and explosions rang through the battlefield. The soldiers in the front line dropped dead one after another like trees being uprooted in a massive tornado. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. The smell of blood and gunpowder was fresh in the air. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn't think. 

My mind was in overdrive, thinking of every possible outcome, with none of them good. How would I die? Bullet to the head or blown to smithereens by a shell? Or would I simply die of fright? I didn’t know. I wouldn’t know until I died. And when was that? 10 minutes or 10 seconds? Or would I survive this battle and live for 10 days instead? 

Shouts and screams surround me as we evacuate the van, our safety. Within seconds, men start falling, all the while my brain saying “you could be next. You might be the next to fall.” But I wasn’t. I made it to the barbed wire. I was alone. Where was everyone? Looking behind, I saw there were only 10 of us left, 10 out of the 50 that were deployed. I am lucky. Or am I? Alone. Scared. Paralyzed with fear. 

 Terror sears through my body, adrenaline pounded, and my reflexes kicked in. I grabbed my gun harder, like it was my lifeline. I pushed through the fence, scraping my face, my arms, my legs. I’m past and then… I see him. 

I don’t know what to do. 

A German, with a gun in his hand and his finger on the trigger.

Our eyes lock.

My eyes are wide with fear. I expect to see hate, death, maybe even vengeance in his eyes, but the sad reality of it is so very different. Doubt. Despair. Dread. Endless black holes of panic. 

He didn’t want to kill me and I didn’t want to kill him. 

I stumble, and realise my leg was hurt so much more than I originally thought. A bloody gash was sliced across it with blood running freely down it. I couldn’t walk, let alone run. Even if this soldier didn’t shoot me, I would likely starve to death out here.

“Help,” I choke. I don’t know if I can trust him. Don’t know if he would just shoot me in the back. I don’t know anything. It is just a hunch, just a shout into the void, just a sliver of hope in this unforgiving world.

He looks at me, grasping his gun tighter and tighter. 

Fear floods through my body, coursing through every vein, bone and organ. It beats and pumps like it is trying to escape. I think my heart’s going to explode and my eyes widen with anticipation.

He looks over his shoulder. Maybe he thinks he can run. Maybe he thinks someone is watching, but regardless, he holds his hand out. And smiled.

Smiled.

Like we’re not in some war field.

Like we’re meeting for the first time in a park on a summer’s day.

I smile in return and gladly take his hand. 

I.

Take,

The.

Enemy’s.

Hand.

He lifts me up, pulling me across the land, his shoulder wrapped around mine. We walk towards his base, but I don’t care. I don’t care. Anything to relieve myself of my leg and escape the fighting.

I haven’t thanked him. I barely know how in German. I wish I could thank him, but my mouth seems to be jelly and I can’t move it and form a coherent sound. I try again then

BANG

a n d  

 t h e 

 w o r l d  

s  l   o   w    s.

I don’t know what’s happened.

I don’t know what’s happened.

What has happened?

A gun.

Shot at us.

At me?

No.

Him. 

The man who risked everything to save me.

Is dead.

Shot by us.

The Allies.

I hope not

but

I don’t know.

I can’t concentrate.

Someone picks me up and I’m in the back of a truck.

Who’s truck?

I don’t know.

I don’t care.

I have water and painkillers.

That’s all I care about. I feel myself drifting off, but I can’t sleep. I can’t get his face out of my head. It exploding, with his blood spattering across mine. It’s still there and it’s not going. It’s not going. And everytime I try to sleep, I can’t. My ears are ringing too much from the 

BANG!

***

I wake up with a sheen of cold sweat across my face. My breathing is coming in short gasps. My chest is too tight and my throat is closed up. My arms thrash, flailing around trying to fight off the terrors that don’t exist anymore. There’s a hole in my chest, filled with blood and pain and agony. I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe. 

I can’t breathe.

I don’t know where I am, but I was back there, back where I vowed I never would again, with friends and family dying around me.

Julliette!

She can’t be hurt. The bullets of my dreams can’t reach her, because I couldn’t live without her. She can’t be hurt because I’d be nothing without her. 

I calm down. 

I can breathe.

So can Julliette.

Everything will be okay.

She is fine.

I’ve woken her up, like I do on so many other nights. She smiles, and puts a reassuring hand on my chest, like she does on so many other nights, but it never fails to calm me, because I know I can do anything with one hand as long as she holds the other.

I love her. I can’t lose her.

I’m so lucky to have her.

I’m so unlucky to have those dreams.

They’ll never go. 

But she can’t know that. She can’t share my pain, because she was never there. And I thank the stars everyday for that.

I slow my breathing, in, out, in, out. My face resumes a casual neutral, with just a glint of a smile. She can’t know. I won’t let her.

“Just a nightmare, Ju, just a nightmare.” 

February 07, 2021 19:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Michael Boquet
20:15 Feb 11, 2021

Love how you structured this. Going from long narration to shortened sentences really helps sell the tension. Great build up as well and I like the elements of romance in the ending. One critique: At the part where he locks eyes with the German soldier, did he hurt his leg crawling through the wire? If so, I think that section could be made a little clearer. Thanks for the like. I hope you'll check out some of my stories. Would love feedback, especially on the two I'm submitting for this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Makena M.
06:10 Feb 17, 2021

They say that one of the first strategies in war is to dehumanize the enemy. How wonderful it is that you have chosen instead to show his humanity. Also, your narration is so vivid that we can imagine ourselves there witnessing the unfolding horror. The only small critique I have is the contradiction when you write, "I couldn't think" yet in the next sentence, "My mind was... thinking of every possible outcome..." Otherwise, a very well-written story. Well done! And thanks so much for liking my story "Unbonding." Am new to creative writin...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nancy Drayce
20:52 Feb 07, 2021

I love it!! It is such an amazing story. The tension grew bigger as I was reading. The flow of the story is very good too. I love the twist and that it ended up being a dream about the past! Amazing 💙🌟

Reply

Show 0 replies
Creed .
15:04 Feb 19, 2021

You're totally going to win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ogechukwu Anyaso
11:51 Feb 19, 2021

like how short but narrative your story is, I also liked the ending thanks for liking my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carolyn McBride
01:41 Feb 18, 2021

The tension of the unexpected, the flow, the build-up, and then the "enemy" saving him...very intense and gripping. Good move with the shortened sentences, they really punch the impact home. Good job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Adam Lynch
15:13 Feb 17, 2021

Really compelling use of structure. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:22 Feb 16, 2021

I loved this sooo much!! And I loved the way you paced and separated the words depending on the characters' emotions. This was a really enjoyable read, and I love the romance at the end. Great job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Cole
21:30 Feb 15, 2021

Oh my word, this was absolutely beautiful and heart-wrenchingly sad. This deserves a win, wow! I cannot put into words how much emotion this made me feel, you have a true talent.

Reply

21:43 Feb 15, 2021

Thank you so much!! I went to your page and two things: a) I love your story. I said it in the comments but I'll happily say it again, but you are an AMAZING writer. (anyone else here should def check it out. It's worth a read) and b) I saw your bio. I love drinking tea too! Again. thank you!!!

Reply

Rebecca Cole
00:56 Feb 16, 2021

Its no problem! Thank you so much!! Yes tea is life! Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pippin Took
19:43 Feb 19, 2021

Hey girl, tea is my life!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mango Chutney
07:16 Feb 15, 2021

The Starting paragraph is gripping. .. and the story keeps up the momentum till the end..Great story..!! Loved it ..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Siobhan Mulalley
20:50 Feb 14, 2021

Great story, I think you have captured the confusion of the battlefield and the drama really well. I loved the fact that both the protagonist and the German had this humanity about them, and they were both in a battle that it looks neither wanted to be in. I wish I had half the talent you have when I was your age. If this story is anything to go by I am sure you will have quite the career ahead.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel Brown
05:43 Feb 13, 2021

So visceral, so alive, so honest. Very well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies

I can't believe you are ONLY 14?! Such a great story Dakota! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Moon Lion
17:52 Feb 11, 2021

Tension, suspense, the atmosphere of this piece was incredible. I loved how you used the short lines, all in all, it was a great story! All the best going forward :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mila Van Niekerk
05:51 Jun 01, 2021

Ayyyyy!! I LOVE this story; when I was reading, it almost felt like I was actually there, or in the MC's head, expierencing the emotions with them. The detail, the flashback-iness and the overall story is absolutely amazing!! -Elf 🧝‍♀️🧝‍♂️😊 PS: happy pride month!! 🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈

Reply

09:53 Jun 01, 2021

thank youuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zachary Goodus
17:14 May 17, 2021

Great story, I love how symbolism and imagery are used here to portray the gritty scenes of the battlefield and the noises of it as well, the flow of the story is also really good too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bonnie Clarkson
16:06 Apr 07, 2021

Very good imagery. Very few passive verbs. I didn't mind a bit when you slowed down the writing. Keep up the good work.

Reply

16:15 Apr 07, 2021

thank you :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aisha Khan
12:57 Feb 11, 2021

So beautiful. Particularly the turn of events when the German holds out his hand. You're a great story teller!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keri Dyck
01:10 Feb 11, 2021

Beautifully written! My friend Hallie sent me over here, and I was not disappointed. I noticed a few times where your verb tense switched from past to present, but other than that it was amazing, especially considering your age. My favorite line was; "I know I can do anything with one hand as long as she holds the other."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shallan Davar
22:28 Feb 10, 2021

Hey Dakota! I was looking at your bio, and just wanted to say a couple of things. One, thank you so much for liking my story! It means a lot:) Two, I'm also a young 14-year-old writer and love words and stories!!:D And three, one of my favorite series is called The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. It's soooo good. The fist book is called The Way of Kings. You should really check it out! Thanks again!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.