The Contented Gardener and the One Thing That Eludes Him

Written in response to: Write about a character who would have complete happiness, if it weren’t for that one thing.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Fantasy

Title: The Contented Gardener and the One Thing That Eludes Him

Once upon a time, there was a man named Thomas who lived in a small cottage on the outskirts of a bustling city. Thomas was a gardener by trade, and he took immense pride in his work. Every morning, he would wake up early, put on his overalls, and head out to his garden, where he would spend hours tending to his plants and flowers. For Thomas, there was nothing more satisfying than seeing the fruits of his labor in the form of colorful blooms and healthy vegetables.

Despite living a simple life, Thomas was content. He had everything he needed - a roof over his head, food on the table, and a garden that brought him joy. Thomas was at peace with the world, and he could not imagine wanting for anything more.

But there was one thing that eluded him, one thing that he yearned for more than anything else - a companion. You see, Thomas had never been married, and he had no children. He lived alone in his small cottage, and while he was happy with his life, he could not shake the feeling that something was missing.

Thomas had always been a shy and introverted person, and he struggled to make friends. He had tried attending social events and joining clubs, but he found it hard to connect with people. Thomas longed for someone to share his life with, someone to talk to and laugh with. He longed for a companion who would love him for who he was, flaws and all.

One day, as Thomas was working in his garden, he heard a rustling sound coming from the bushes. He turned to see a small, scrappy dog emerge, wagging its tail. The dog was dirty and thin, with matted fur and sad eyes. Thomas felt a pang of compassion for the dog, and he reached out his hand to pet it.

The dog licked Thomas's hand and looked up at him with gratitude. Thomas knew then that he had found his companion. He took the dog in, gave it a bath, and fed it. The dog slept by Thomas's side that night, and Thomas felt a sense of contentment he had never known before.

For years, Thomas and the dog, whom he named Buddy, were inseparable. They went on long walks together, played in the garden, and cuddled on the couch. Thomas felt truly happy, and he knew that he had found the one thing that had eluded him for so long - companionship.

But as time went on, Thomas noticed that Buddy was slowing down. The dog was getting old, and he was no longer able to go on long walks or play like he used to. Thomas watched with a heavy heart as Buddy's health declined, and he knew that he would soon have to say goodbye.

Thomas felt a sense of despair wash over him. He knew that he would never find another companion like Buddy, and the thought of living alone again filled him with dread. Thomas tried to enjoy the time he had left with Buddy, but he could not shake the feeling of impending loss.

One day, as Thomas was sitting in his garden, he noticed a small sapling growing in the corner. Thomas had never seen the sapling before, but he felt drawn to it. He decided to take care of it, watering it every day and making sure it had plenty of sunlight.

As time went on, the sapling grew into a beautiful tree, with strong roots and vibrant leaves. Thomas watched with pride as the tree flourished, and he realized that he had found a new source of happiness. The tree reminded him of Buddy, and it gave him hope for the future.

Thomas knew that he would always miss Buddy, but he also knew that he had the ability to find happiness in other things. He began to focus more on his garden, experimenting with new plants and designs. He also started volunteering at a local animal shelter, where he found joy in helping other dogs like Buddy find their forever homes.

Over time, Thomas realized that happiness was not something that came from one specific thing, but rather from the collection of experiences and relationships in his life. He learned to appreciate the simple pleasures of life - a warm cup of tea, a good book, a beautiful sunset. He also learned to cherish the relationships he had, whether they were with humans or animals.

Thomas never forgot about Buddy, and he still felt a twinge of sadness whenever he thought about him. But he also knew that Buddy had brought him immense joy, and that he would always be grateful for the time they had together. In many ways, Buddy had taught Thomas about the importance of companionship and the power of love.

As the years went by, Thomas continued to tend to his garden and volunteer at the animal shelter. He never did find another companion like Buddy, but he found happiness in the relationships he had with the people and animals around him. He knew that life was full of ups and downs, and that happiness was not something that could be attained and then held onto forever. Rather, it was something that had to be cultivated and nurtured, like a garden.

In the end, Thomas realized that he had everything he needed to be happy. He had a garden that brought him joy, a community that supported him, and the memory of Buddy, who had taught him so much about love and companionship. He knew that life was unpredictable and that there would always be challenges and losses along the way, but he also knew that he had the resilience to overcome them.

As Thomas sat in his garden, surrounded by the beauty he had created, he felt a sense of contentment wash over him. He knew that he was exactly where he was meant to be, doing exactly what he was meant to do. And in that moment, he realized that he had achieved complete happiness, despite the one thing that had eluded him for so long.

March 09, 2023 06:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.