What it takes to live here

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Start your story with the line, “That’s the thing about this city…”... view prompt

0 comments

Crime Fiction Thriller

That's the thing about this city, people come and people go. Where to they go... Well that we don't always know. The brightness of the lights attracts the young like a moth. Dreams of becoming successful starts boiling out of them. But just like the light bulb eventually burns the moth, the city kills the dreams.

And that's what happened to young Rico when he came to this city. I remember him so well. That youth and life still sparking in his eyes. It was like the glow of the city had entered his body. Consuming him. Killing him from the inside. Rico wanted to become a writer. His interest was horror, the next Stephen King he thought. He got an internship at a publishing company. Kissed his mum goodbye and took the first bus out.

As the bright blue bus road into the city it started to fade with the features of city life. It was no longer something special, just another bus. Rico didn't seem to notice. Too bewitched by the life he wasn't accustomed to.

That first night Rico unpacked his bags and sat in front of the outdated laptop. He couldn't start. His ears was boosting with hooking noices and screams. This is going to take some time to get used to.

In the end he couldn't take it anymore and decided to go to the small pub he saw while making his way to his tiny apartment. It was just around the corner. Little did Rico know this would become a nightly habit for him.

Every night Rico would go down to the pub. He would drink his regular Scotch and think about his next story. Slowly he stopped thinking. Rico just sat there. It was as the life was drained from Rico. Until one day. One day Rico stopped coming. Nobody even noticed. Not until the bartender got a phone call to please come identify a body found near the lake. Someone stranger passing by noted to the detectives that he had occasionally seen this man at a nearby pub. The light finally consumed Rico.

Let's not forget about Barbara. Beautiful woman. Snowy skin complimented with waves of red. Barbara got mistaken for a Hollywood actress so many times. But that's what the country hearted woman wanted. She wanted to be on the big screen acting her heart out.

She had known this life for while. Not estranged by this city life. 19 years old she left home to try and live her dream. This city however was something new. Something Barbara couldn't imagine. The glamor of the light attracted her so she couldn't resist anymore. She set herself up for failure however. She never got a job. Couldn't even get into a commercial. Her joyish laugh faded. Last time her mother visited she noted that Barbara never smiled anymore. She was deeply worried and rightly so. The next time her mother visited was to see her little girl in the morgue.

Fitness was Kent's passion. He would wake up at 4am, drink his protein shake and hit the gym. He was considered a stud. Muscle at unspeakable places. The ladies swoon over him, but he didn't care. He didn't want a woman. He just wanted his dumbell.

The city lights wasn't exactly that attracted him but the gym lights. He spend his day on Google trying to find the perfect gym that would satisfy all his needs. Of course the enchantment of the city fell upon him. Without a thought he packed and left. Spend some time as a waitress. Getting harassed by the grabby old ladies. It was worth it. The gym was worth it.

He won a competition soon after that enable him to save up so money and temporarily quit the simple job. This woman he met encouraged him to become a personal trainer. He landed a job at the gym and made extra income on the side by doing personal training. Life was good for him. Unlike the others Kent genuinely seemed happy. I suspect it was ignorance.

The lady come over to his place more and more. Kent suspected he might be feeling love? His life was great.

Until one day. Nobody knows what happened. Not even me. That lady didn't shed a tear. She looked at the casket being lowered into the grave with no emotion on her face. Maybe the shock was too much. Maybe the city got him. I'm sure she knew the city. I'm sure she loved the city.

And lastly there was Simon. He crossed the ocean to follow his dream. It wasn't like he was vain, but he knew the beauty he had. He knew how wonderful he turned out on the camera. He loved it. He was in love with his face on that shot. He loved the transformations of the make up. He loved it all. Again it wasn't like he was vain. He was just passionate.

It was a demanding job. He had to check his weight. He had to be careful not to damage his face. He was petite. A worthy sacrifice. Simon always came in early for a shoot. The excitement kept him eager. The light was shining so bright. The brightness gave Simon an extra glow on camera. He loved this city. He loved the city like all the others.

Everyday they pass by him and Simon noticed their glow. He noticed the happiness they had for this city, and he loved it. He loved them. He loved this city.

One day Simon decided to watch some television. His manager gave him the day off and honestly he was bored without his glamorous world. Simon sat there barely paying attention, up until something caught his glinstering eye. A body was found in the lake. They showed a picture of the deceased. Simon recognized him. He used to pass him everyday. He didn't have the same glow. That's how Simon took notice. He felt sorry for him. Pitying a man he doesn't know was no unlike Simon. Somehow he felt attracted to him, like they were on the same boat.

Simon heard a loud crash. He hastily turned around and then he saw it.. He saw death. Simon knew. He knew why he had felt connected to that man. He knew that man saw what he is seeing now. That man starred at the end of the light exactly the same way he is doing now. Crying for mercy would be no help. Simon knew he just had to accept it. He knew the falsehood of that light would have ended. He said a silent goodbye and thanked the city. He thanked him for letting him live his dream. Even if it was short.

That's the thing about this city.. People come and people go.

March 18, 2021 08:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.