1 comment

Fantasy Adventure Mystery

The wolf skull in the abandoned mine was sitting atop a rock. The skull itself was covered in spiderwebs and lit by the blue, bioluminescent bacteria that was hanging down in thin strands from the ceiling a few meters above it. Strangely, the wolf skull had very large antlers as well which were also dripping in cobwebs and bioluminescent bacteria. The walls of the cave were a deep, inky black: so black and smooth that it reflected the lights of the bacteria back and gave the place a neon-blue hue that permeated everything in it - including the creatures that scurried about.

From the upper slopes, footsteps and the sliding of ancient pebbles could be heard, along with a cough and a “good heavens what is that”. Slowly an orange light formed a cone that made its way up the slope and formed an outline of some humanoid figure. He was seemingly a young man in a double-breasted, dark charcoal suit - now with a large tear near the stomach - with peaked lapels and only the left set of cufflinks. He also sported leather gloves which he noted had come in handy. In his right hand was a walking cane and he was wearing hiking boots that did not match the sophistication of his suit at all... except for perhaps the fresh tear. In his left hand he held aloft a hurricane lamp, still wet with droplets from his latest adventure.

When he saw the deer skull he lowered the lamp and set it on a flat rock near the entrance to the cavern. The bacteria was illuminating the antlered wolf skull enough that he felt safe leaving the artificial light for a moment.

“I have not had human visitors for... a very, very long while,” the skull intoned, turning towards Edmund. “Worshippers, if I recall. Ancient peoples who lived around the nearby lake thousands of years ago. This cave system was abandoned by that mining company years before they would have reached my sacred alcove.”

Edmund nodded. The skull ‘looked’ Edmund up and down with its hollow eye sockets then chuckled lightly.

“You are no human, though, are you?”

Edmund shook his human-like head. “No. But I do have human-like... problems. You could say I am in debt, and I have come to you for help.”

The skull chuckled again, its bony teeth clacking together eerily, sending the cobwebs, bacteria, and colony of spiders in its antlers back and forth erratically. “I can see that your soul is trifurcated: Quite a feat for a mortal. It is tearing at the edges like a worn sock. I suppose you have made some... bargains with several beings that you now regret?”

Edmund affirmed the skulls suspicion and told the skull of the three entities to whom he promised his soul in exchange for magical powers. This time, the skull laughed uproariously: it was a deep laugh - deeper than the cave the two were situated in.

“I am familiar with those beings,” the skull said when it stopped laughing. “I met the first being that you mentioned in the era when I was worshipped: I was already ancient when they appeared in the Spirit Realm. The way you describe the second being is also familiar to me: an entity who traversed time and the Spirit Realm - I never able to decipher if it was some kind of alien God or something else.” The skull paused. “And that third entity... I cannot fathom the depths you sought in order to encounter them: An extremely dangerous creature from another dimension - A traveller who had escaped their home dimension and now - with a companion - resides somewhere in ours, spreading chaos.” The Wolf-Stag chuckled once more. “I am now extremely curious about you, creature.”

Edmund had been taking notes the entire time and then looked up when the skull paused. “I am pleased that I am interesting to someone such as yourself,” Edmund said, dusting off his coat and flicking away a rather large spider that had crawled up onto his arm. 

“Do not chide me for my interest in you,” the Wolf-Stag said, suddenly serious. “You may be old, but I am older.”

“I know,” Edmund said apologetically. “I was being completely serious, sir: I strive to be interesting.” Edmund smirked. “But as you could see I need your help to get out of this... situation... if I am to remain interesting.” 

“...And you have come to bargain once more?” The Wolf-Stag asked, completing Edmund’s thought. “And what would I get for the privilege of assisting you with these three entities? Do you wish to give a sacrifice like the days of old?”

“Would you like that?” Edmund asked.

“Indeed it would be pleasing... but no. I would need a substantial sacrifice.”

“How many humans would be sufficient, Wolf-Stag?”

“To help you out of your rut? Quite a few, I’d think.”

Edmund gulped. “You must help me. These three entities, I-”

“Do not attempt to cater to my sense of compassion,” the skull said darkly. “That rotted away eons ago.”

“I can procure humans for you as a sacrifice if you’d wish,” Edmund said.

“You would have to study my rites and rituals for multiples of your life times in order for me to re-enter the spirit world,” the skull stated. “My kingdom is the Wyrd, and you would need to traverse it for a million years to full understand it. Your sacrifice would ultimately be futile, even if you did gather the strands and fodder for a ritual to me. The spirit realm is closed to me, and I to it.”

As cold as the deep cavern was, Edmund began sweating. “Tthen it seems that we are at an impasse. What if...” Edmund thought for a moment and then offered to perform a ritual that would transfer his ability - borne in his soul - to transform into his true form to the Wolf-Stag. Again, the skull began to laugh darkly.

“And what good would that do me?”

“Then what could I offer?” Edmund whined, stretching his coat near the fresh tear. “Riches? I know, knowledge!”

“And now you finally speak sense,” the Wolf-Stag chuckled. “What kind of knowledge do you possess that I do not? Is it powerful enough to convince my... friends... to not rend your soul asunder?”

“I possess great knowledge of the esoteric arts!” Edmund said, finally feeling his footing. “I have waded deep into the ways of magic.”

“The Wyrd possess much more powerful magic than you could imagine.”

Edmund faltered but recentered. “Or I could rekindle your religion and teach your adherents magic!”

“The magic my adherents use is woven into the mushrooms and roots - into the cave systems and spiders’ webs... Into dreams and the forgotten.”

Clean, fresh sweat remoistened Edmund’s forehead, causing the cold air of the cavern to freeze his blood. Whereas before his blood was heated by anger, now it was chilled. 

“What, then, Wolf-Stag?” Edmund shouted. “What do you want? What can I offer?”

“I suppose your soul is not up for bargaining is it?” The Wolf-stag wryly joked.

“Gods, Gods!” Edmund exclaimed.

“I am the only God here,” the skull said, enjoying the repartee. “Perhaps you should hide down here, among the shadows?” The skull said, trying to be helpful. “You may be mortal but your lifespan is very long. You could commit your mischief on the above world from your hiding place down here.”

The human-shaped being in high-class clothes was still pacing.

“Or perhaps you could draw the three of them into conflict with each other,” the Wolf-Stag said. 

Edmund came out of his self-pitying reverie and looked at the skull as his eyes widened, a new plan hatching in his mind. A smile creeped along his face as he studied the old skull.

“Why teach an old dog new tricks when his old ones are wise beyond measure?” ‘Edmund’ said.

The skull rasped out a final chuckle. “Come seek me when you have shaken your pursuers. I suspect we shall have much to discuss.”

June 21, 2024 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

M B
16:40 Jul 06, 2024

This is so interesting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.