Movies That Left Me and You Speechless.

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Fantasy

I was thinking if I should list all the thrilling Alien movies I ever watched or allowed them to watch me as I slept straight threw some of them in chronological order or just go with the Alien movie flow and to try an explain why some of the E. T. movies thrills us. While other Alien movies you’ve painstakingly tried to watch may want you to fine an JWP Industries Tradesman 1765 Vise 20-1/2 Jaw Width and place your head in between it and turn it until your head explodes.

The one thing all of the movies have in common are about destroying or saving the planet earth.

Hmm… Let’s start what I believe are the dumbest Alien movies I ever watched.

Mar’s Attacks. Earth is invaded by Martians with unbeatable weapons and a cruel sense of humor. I never laughed one time. It is a normal day for everyone, until President of the United States James Dale (Jack Nicholson) announces Martians have been spotted circling the planet Earth. The Martians land and a meeting is arranged, but not everything goes to plan and the Martians seem to have other plans for Earth. Are they just misunderstood beings or do they really want to destroy all of humanity? Sounds familiar doesn’t it. The Martians decide to attack our planet and devastate everything. Why? Because it's fun. They enjoy killing people and destroying buildings. They even play bowling with the Statue of Liberty Head and pose for photos in front of Malibu Hindu Temple God: Venkateshwara located in Los Angeles, California, BAPS Shri Swami Narayan Mandir God: Narayan located in Atlanta, Georgia and the San Margairaivan Temple God: Lord Shiva located in Kappa, Hawaii. Just to name a few temples you may have never heard of, as they are blowing up. Will somebody find a way to stop them or will everyone die in the war with these short, big-brained aliens? I couldn’t take anymore after that scene.

Next up on the movie list never to dare watch is  Horse Girl” Sarah, a socially awkward craft store employee whose mental health is rapidly deteriorating. The history of mental illness within her family, particularly that of her grandmother, is not on the forefront of her mind as images from her dreams start to blend into reality. 

My bad, wrong kind of Alien thriller movie, even though it topped my list of stinker movies. Attack the Block movie follows an unlucky young woman and a gang of tough inner city kids who make an unlikely alliance to try to defend their turf against an invasion of savage alien creatures, turning a South London apartment complex into an intergalactic war-zone. Near the end of the movie, when some unknown actor jumps through the doorway with the female alien carcass on his back, it hits the top of the door frame and is knocked off. In the next shot, it is back in place. I found myself actually caring about the Alien characters and their destiny throughout the movie. I’ll never forget the quote: " Oh man! All this weed and no skins... This is the worst day of my life!"

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy started with the opening line everyone has bad mornings. You wake up late, you stub your toe, you burn the toast, but for a man named Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman), this goes far beyond a bad day. When he learns that a friend of his is actually an alien with advanced knowledge of Earth's impending destruction, he is transported off the Earth seconds before it is blown up to make way for a new hyperspace motorway. And as if that's not enough, throw in being wanted by the Police, Earth II, an insane electronic encyclopedia, no tea whatsoever, a chronically depressed robot and the search for the meaning of life and you've got the greatest adventure off Earth. No I don’t think so. Maybe the worse misadventure I’ve ever watched.

Alien movie moving right along that I suffered through not much of the 79 minutes of Planet 9 from Outer Space. Evil aliens attack Earth and set their terrible "Plan 9" into action. As the aliens resurrect the dead of the Earth, the lives of the living are in danger. Now I know where the thought of creating The Walking Dead came from.

In California, an old man (Bela Lugosi) grieves the loss of his wife Vampira and on the next day he also dies. However, the space soldier Eros and his mate Tanna use an electric device to resurrect them both and the strong Inspector Clay who was murdered by the couple. Their intention is not to conquer Earth but to stop mankind from developing the powerful bomb "Solaranite" that would threaten the universe. When the population of Hollywood and Washington DC sees flying saucers in the sky, a colonel, a police lieutenant, a commercial pilot, his wife and a policeman try to stop the aliens. I did it for all of them by immediately stopped watching this 1957 black and white Alien movie on the 58th minute.

Edge of Tomorrow a single soldier fighting aliens gets to relive the same day over and over again, the day restarting every time he dies. This Alien movie reminded me of the movie Groundhog Day. Except that an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loop-forcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again and again and again and again and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). And, as Cage and Vrataski take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy! I’m going to stop for now because during one of those awful Alien movies I found myself acting like a movie critic in which wasn’t my intention from the start. I just thought that I would give the reader their own choice to see if they would get thrilled right out of their wholly Alien movie socks. The End!

September 21, 2020 21:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Corey Melin
20:15 Sep 24, 2020

Interesting read. I have seen a couple of these movies and thought they were all right for a cheap thrill (if you can even call it that). A couple of movies I never heard of before. Probably a good thing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.