9 comments

Funny Fantasy Friendship

I don’t know how it came to be, so long ago when everything seemed possible.

He was my inspiration. That and his photograph. Of what you ask?

Oh, a demon! Uploaded it to YouTube, he did. So, a picture was formed in my mind from a video that shouldn’t exist. I can hardly get my mind around it. Its hard to even speak of it.

But we all do what we must. And he certainly did what he wanted! Two children, one impossibly older, so ready to accept things…

But we’ll have to start at the beginning. A hot summer’s day, so brutally hot. Hot enough to broil eggs on the sidewalk that are over hard and crisp, no sunny side up!

I trudged up the scarcely graveled driveway, kicking dirt over my sneakers, Peter Pan booties, my sister called them, seeing as in her mind I was more a fairy than a real boy!

“You’ll never have a girlfriend, dummy!” she hollered through an open car window, my mother yelling at her for being so “disrespectful.”

I’d rather visit Ted, this uncle of mine, lost hook, line and sinker to his stories and pictures than go with my sister and my mother to the beach. Oh, the bikinis! Oh, those hunks! Sheesh, give me a good book!

That toothy grin, paws on the holy screen door, his mug was there to greet me as I climbed the rotting stairs to the side door of his bungalow.

“C’mon in! Want some lemonade? Or how ‘bout this watermelon?”

Yeah! Just where is the soda? How ‘bout them chocolate bars there, Uncle Ted?

It was not to be. I scarfed a piece of watermelon, to be polite. Warm and with a days old red skin it was. Ugh. We slipped into the living room, my uncle beside himself with excitement.

“I’ve got that picture all blowed up and framed for ya!” he hollered.

I never asked for my own copy, but there it was, old Boogerhead himself, trapped in a framed photograph near the LED TV. Which sat on one of those furniture TV’s that no longer worked. Which overpowered the room. I mean totally!

Boogerhead looked like no demon I ever imagined. Sheepish looking, like he had been caught out in the open, peering at the camera from behind two people posing at a wedding.

Such big eyes he had! And a mouth? Like it looked like a mask, but this was no joke. No occasion for masks. The couple posing wasn’t aware a demon was right behind them!

On YouTube there was a whole video about the picture, something about how the guy was down and out, the guy, not the demon! He had a drug problem and now there was this picture to show how people get these demons when their life goes wrong on them.

Yada Yada. Religion up the wazoo! Uncle Ted believed this stuff. Me not so much, though the ideas were interesting.

“You want me to have this?” My face communicated what words could not express.

“It’s yours from your Uncle Ted!” he enthused. “Here, let me wrap it up for you! I’ll put it in the bag the framing place gave me. You should have seen the sales lady’s face when I told her what it was! She flipped!”

#

Mom was all sun burnt. Sis couldn’t stop talking about the hunk that said “Hi!”

“You’re to blame for all our problems!” Mom said to me as she emptied grocery bags in the kitchen. “If you had come with us, we would have remembered to bring the sunblock seeing as you never tan.”

“You’re welcome, Mom,” I said. “Here. Meet my new friend!”

I shoved the eight by ten into her face.

“Get that away from me!” she shrieked. “What is it?”

“Boogerhead.”

“Booger what?”

“Head.”

“Oh, your Uncle Ted. Unmarried and nothing going his way. Too much time on his hands…”

“Yeah, Mom.”

My sister had to see it. “I was going to say you should get it framed, but there it is!”

“Your new boyfriend?” I replied.

She punched me. And Mom saw it.

#

Such long days when you are given two hours only to video game. You’re so rushed. I mean you can’t text your friends, there’s a cellphone for that. And you don’t want to watch your friend’s video game, there’s a TV for that.

So, you hunch over and pick a time when the parentals are occupied. Like when they are video gaming themselves. That was the idea. Then when you’ve squeezed say four hours out of only two, you go to your best friends place to visit and uh talk and of course video game.

Your best friend should be someone who can video game all the time if they want. The only problem being that they have to take turns or you end up watching them play all the time.

So, I devised a plan. Boogerhead to the rescue.

How? Well, lets see. When your friend is researching an interesting video, they aren’t playing. Which means that you are, playing on their system that is.

I posed a bunch of questions for Matt, my friend, after he recovered from the shock of seeing my framed old nasty.

Is this a demon? If not, what the hell is it? Should a demon look like a deer caught in the headlights? Wouldn’t a demon look like they are in charge?

If it is fake, wouldn’t the perpetrator have the demon look like it is dangerous instead of looking like it is out of place?

By the time I was through compiling a list of these questions, I half believed I was onto something real.

#

“You aren’t going to watch me play Helldiver’s 2?” Matt opined as I settled into a chair in his rec room.

“Nah, I got this project!” I said. “Its so interesting. I could get published. You want in?”

“That picture? You make me laugh!”

“Why aren’t you?”

“What?”

“Laughing. No joke. This is real. My Uncle Ted is a changed man. He’s spooked.”

I could smell his Mom’s cooking. Supper would be soon, and I wouldn’t be hungry.

“I want you to think carefully about what you say after you read this.” I handed my notes to him.

“Get out!” he sighed as he read. “Religion and shit!”

“Read like your life depended on it,” I said. “That brown boogered face could be the ticket for us, fame, money. Happiness.”

“Girls?”

“Not so much!” I laughed.

He handed my notes back to me. “Watch your language. This is a racialized demon we’re dealing with here.”

“I can’t help it if it is brown!”

“Whatever!”


Yeah, I got my fill of Helldivers 2 when Matt went to eat and then he was too polite to kick me off his system when he came back down to the rec room.

By then we had big plans.

I would do the posters and the social media posts. I had an idea of a title, “Do you know this person?” came to mind. You know, don’t be too religious about it.

Matt was the genius though. Every idea he had was paved in gold. So long as he did the work to make it come true.

Which suited me fine. Uncle Ted was amazed, his wallet opened doors. And I got to play as many video games as I wanted.

July 09, 2024 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Todd Crickmer
09:41 Jul 21, 2024

Yes, it is an interesting twist on the prompt. I had to read it twice to understand the plot. It's clever, but it's only the start of a longer story—not a short story in itself.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
13:31 Jul 21, 2024

Thanks for liking my short story. Can you tell me why it isn't one?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:24 Jul 15, 2024

Definitely a unique take on the prompt! An original way to beat life’s limitations and be left in peace to play the video games.You convey a real sense of the main character here and what matters to him, his family members and other irritations.

Reply

Joe Smallwood
21:50 Jul 15, 2024

Thanks Helen, I wanted to expand it and make more hay on the demon aspect, but we're getting our whole backyard redone and I have to get it ready for the men who are coming to work on a new deck and 68 foot retaining wall. Sort of like cleaning the house for the house cleaner!

Reply

Helen A Smith
05:50 Jul 16, 2024

You did well to get a story out. Good luck with the backyard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:41 Jul 10, 2024

I'm absolutely ignorant of social media, so you left me in the dust with the details, but I enjoyed the boys. Mc's typical tween preoccupation with the unlikely and fantastic. Not to mention needing to shock sis. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:47 Jul 10, 2024

Interesting take on the prompt. Wow. Finally, another story. You were putting in more than one a week before. This one is a typical portrayal of a young boy who wants to play video games and comes up with a plan to play more without his parents saying something about it. And what is the game? It's all ok with Uncle Ted. His friend Matt has some ideas as well. I just wondered why friend Matt became Uncle Matt?

Reply

Joe Smallwood
13:29 Jul 10, 2024

Hi there! Well this is what happens when you dash off a story and barely read it. Thanks for your comments because they Matt- er! As for not writing, oh it's not recommended! Although I must say the prompts lately have left me cold. Brr!

Reply

20:33 Jul 10, 2024

It's called a challenge! Flex those writing muscles.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.