42 comments

Contemporary Fiction Suspense

The bar closes.

The crest of a bone-shaped moon lay cocked in the sky. The city holds monochrome boxes spackled in a sea of sleek gray windows.

Jennifer sees a stock of streetlights and park signs pasted on the courthouse's perimeter. The horizon beyond is a frosted, barren, and pestilential locust wood.  

She lunges to regain balance in a pair of Jimmy Choo flats.

Trashed papers and newsprints are buried in drifts like varied birds, ill-shaped and restless in the wind.  

Jennifer nods in passive agreement to a gawking bushel of law school first-year students.

As the alcohol warms her belly, she sees an enormous shape laboring over a high-rise. The red-eye jetliner cuts through the sky like a laboring god.

Jennifer pulls a crumpled pack from a crisp leather Christian Loubitin clutch.

A soft amber light folds and swells beyond.

She pulls at her knee-length pencil skirt.  

Her cigarette dangles from a chapped pair of lips.

She stuffs her panties in the bottom of her clutch. 

She staggers in the moonlight and smirks as she thinks of the word… vulva…

Inhale.

Exhale.

"Vulva!" she says again.

She laughs before growing solemn.

How? she thinks. How did it all get so complicated?

Jakob’s truck sputters and leaks.

In the back, smooth angles shadow an infant car seat.

Jennifer trips to the backside window and views a snapshot in her mind.  

It's dark and empty.

A hollow void.

It does not look like her child but something she continually snatches randomly from a Walmart parking lot.

Jennifer gets in the passenger seat.

She does not say a word as they approach the hotel.

She slams the car door and stumbles toward the lobby. She continues smoking and leaves Jakob to collect the infant.

Jakob walks through a pair of French doors and into the living room.  

He winks at Jennifer.

He delicately makes a bed for the boy on the couch and tucks the blanket around him. 

"Do you want a drink?" 

"No," he says.

Jakob steps towards her and lays a hand on her shoulder. She stops breathing for a moment as she cradles hand his.

She holds him tightly.

He feels so thin, but his arms seem to nearly crush her.

"Goddamn," he says, softly kissing her cheek.  

"God."

He lowers his mouth to hers, and she draws him tighter and opens her mouth under his. 

Jennifer washes her face in the bathroom, but she can't look at herself in the mirror. She cannot be seen by anyone.

"You've been out drinking all night again."

"But I've never had a Louis Jadot Grand Bergund. Doubtful that a half glass will play a part in making matters worse."

Jennifer chuckles and drops the face towel to the floor. She takes another sip.  

She concurs.

She embraces the aromas of red berries and plums mingled with the sweet spice of orange zest and rose petal.

Jennifer returns to his embrace. 

"It's my time to indulge."

"You just indulge yourself," Jacob says.  

"Indulge. Quite a word."  

"Oh, my love…What is worth living for if we cannot indulge?"

Jakob's grip releases and his tan flesh mingles with the taupe-down comforter until he disappears altogether beneath the covers.

He stares at her.

"An angel," he says. "Pure as milk, or at least, for right now…"

Jakob turns the nighstand's lamp off.

Jennifer advances towards him, delicately moves to the bed, and takes her place beside him.

Jakob makes no move toward her. He does not even look at her. 

He lies.  

He stares at the ceiling.

"What are we going to do?" He asks.

"I don't know," she says, sipping her wine. 

Jakob smokes in the dark, and Jennifer sees the orange pulse of his cigarette.  

He draws it in.

"What we ought to do is just flee," Jakob says. "Just get the hell out of Dodge."

"Like last time?"

"I should have left the whiskey alone that night."

Now, the wine is strawberry red. Hot green leaves, berries, warmth, and sun are in it. 

Jennifer sips.

She thinks about how little time it took to change things and arrive here.  

Now.  

She'll never get back the mental picture she has had of herself all these years. 

She wonders how much of Jakob is real and how much she cobbled him up out of lines from songs, words from books, wisdom fallen between the pond stones and dust of abandoned buildings, and the dry tongues of dead martyrs, the whispers of weary philosophers.  

She ponders that Jakob is the only one she does not have to hide her drinking from.

"I've got to go," Jennifer says.

She stands naked and sets the wine glass on the nightstand after guzzling the remainder. 

She begins to search for her clothes. They are everywhere.  

She dresses.

"What are we going to do?" Jacob asks.

"I don't know! We'll sort it out over time, I guess, but… We can't do this now!"

Jakob smokes.

Jennifer buttons her blouse. 

"You can't put a lien on my life! You can't just place some attachment on me…on, on…. on my child! On my son, dammit! You hear me, Jakob, that's what's real to me! I need what is real!"

Jakob's neck beads sweat.

His lips tense.

"Don't start drinking heavy on that," he says. "Just don't you start... Not if you're taking off with him in one of your tyrades!"

Jennifer sees in his wild eyes that he had started earlier.

She doesn't think he uses drugs anymore, but she doesn't really care either. She knows he has his stash.

She interrupts.

"I need some blow."

Jakob ignores her.

"I have an important deposition tomorrow. I can’t afford a hangover. Jakob, please! Just a gram to get me through the day…"

Jennifer also knows he keeps an unopened fifth of Johnny Walker's black label sitting on the table where he can see it. A fixture. Where he can access the mere idea of it. 

"I'll do whatever you want! Jacob, I'll blow you! Even…. Even… as long as you want. You can cum in my mouth, and I'll swallow it! I need this!"

Jakob inhales, and the amber dot refracts and dilates rays of orange light that savagely cut through hollow and stagnant shadows.

Jakob inhales and blows smoke casually toward the cheap ceiling spackle.

"…any crutch you can hobble through the goddamn day on! When you get old enough, you look forward to dying! That's the drug you reach for when the other crap doesn't work anymore…."

Jacob transfixes on a morphed patch of spackle.

Jennifer holds her son.

"Jakob, I gotta go. The blow, now…? Now?

"I heard you the first time,' he says.

She starts to leave. Her son, bundled in a mix of clothing and hotel blankets.

"You can't leave like this… you can't keep doing this!"

"I'll leave however I want to leave!"

Jakob flicks an expelled cigarette into a nearby basin.

"I'm not doing it! Standing out there! Looking at you! That goddam yard! That…. Grass… that patch of wretched disease! Not doing it again! Jennifer! Not…. Again…. And…. do you ever think of your son?" 

When Jakob watches her, he can't think straight. Something about her impetuous need to constantly move against the grain of life. The way her delicate mannerisms always unhinge into something peculiar and unpredictable.  

Jennifer knows the power she has over him. The way it happens is never intentional.

It just is.

Jakob reaches for the keys.

"Dry out, Jennifer! Get some goddamn help!"

As he turns around, an overarching strike lands at the bridge of Jakob's nose. The force of the blunt object folds his nose and clefts in.

She is unable to stop.

Even as blood sprays over her son's bundled body.

Jakob's world fades through a storm of blood and gore. He squints and snorts before his cortex detaches, and his body curls and seizes.

Tremoring.

Shaking.

Convulsing.

Jennifer laughs.

Jennifer wipes the blood from her face.

She licks her lips.

Painted in crimson, she exhales and cries after swallowing the moist copper discharge.

"I'm so sorry, my love. I messed up. I'm so sorry…"

—-

"Dammit, Jenn! The phone! Get the goddamn phone!"

She answers it, leaning against the counter. She turns on the tap and fills a glass with cold water. It's someone from the sheriff's department.

She doesn't get the name.

Someone wants to know her name.

She tells them there seems to be too much noise. Water is running in the bathroom.

Water is running in the sink. 

Mario and Luigi are bouncing around the living room.

"Do you know a man named Jakob Clyde?" 

Pause.

Dead silence except for the running water.

"Uhm, Yes," Jennifer says, clearing her throat.

"Why is there no soap in here?" Steven yells from the bathroom. "Jennifer! Hell! How about bringing me a bar of soap?! For Christ's sake, woman!"

Jennifer leans her head against the wall and covers the opposite ear to gather the influx of muffled voice and panic.

"A hotel attendant found him. Quite the mess. Supposing it could be a drug-related homicide…."

The officer clears his voice, "Or, an accident, but it's under investigation. The thing about it is there was a sealed letter with your name on it in his pocket. I don't have to have your permission considering the awful circumstances, but I thought as a courtesy…."

An awful shriek of tinnitus begins squealing in her ear.

Cold water runs in the glass.

Third day sober.

Water runs out of the glass.

"No!" Jennifer says viciously into the phone. 

"If it's sealed and it has my name on it… it's mine! It's mine, you hear, and you leave it alone!"

Jennifer slams the phone down. 

Steven comes into the room and stares at her.

He seems to rise into the air, floating, growing as tall as she is, and she feels the cold linoleum against her calves, her legs….

Everything becomes cold.

The cabinet door handle juts against her back, and she realizes she is sitting on the floor. 

Again.

The phone rings. 

"Are you getting the goddamn soap or not!?"

Steven comes into the room.

Jennifer looks up.

Apathetic.

Numb.

Jennifer sees Steven is getting fat. 

"Jenn! I leave for a week, and this place just….." 

Steven's face alters between anger and rage.

Her son drops the azure blue crayon and looks towards his mama. His face shifts to uncertainty, confusion, and, finally, to consternation.

Jennifer lunges with desperation and folds her child into her arms so hard he cries out and tries to twist away. 

He can not. 

Jennifer squeezes and she thrusts her face against the hollow of his throat. She can smell and feel his hair.

She caresses the soft texture of his skin. 

"Damn you to hell, Steven! Soap? Soap?! I'm getting your goddamn soap."

She cries against the coarse fabric of her son's sweater. 

"I'm looking for it!"

She can't breathe.

Panic.

"I'm looking for it!" She manages to mutter. 

"I'm looking for it… I'll find your goddam soap..."

January 16, 2024 11:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Curtis Jackson
17:59 Feb 25, 2024

Mr. Gillham, Thank you for your intriguing story; the characters demonstrated themselves by their motivations and actions, carrying the plot well toward a conclusion. I, too, erred by double-naming a character and misspelling their names from one language to another. At times, it is tough for me to see those faults when revising and editing because of my ADHD condition. Laziliness isn’t a frequent reason; we are imperfect humans. Sometimes, I catch mistakes the editing software overlooks and dismiss a few of their recommendations. Because o...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:54 Feb 25, 2024

thanks friend, can you be more specific about the errors you found? better yet, can you take google docs and fix the error for me. ? whats your email homie?

Reply

Curtis Jackson
15:02 Feb 26, 2024

I just wanted to let you know that you are welcome. About your inquiry, the editing software offered suggestions relating to more academic or article writing as opposite the story’s tone, specific dialogue tuned to the characters. The software sometimes does not recognize different patterns of speech and slang by location, culture, and era. Most slang words should be excluded even if they were once well-used or popular, especially if readers won’t understand them. One reason is that many were written using the wrong English usage and are ex...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
12:42 Feb 02, 2024

Interesting. Dark indeed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
17:19 Feb 01, 2024

Fine work from the Kingdom of Macabre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Story Time
06:29 Jan 30, 2024

This really reminded me of Denis Johnson, which is about as high a praise as I can give. The raw emotion behind it really got to me, and I love where you show restraint as well. Good job.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
10:25 Jan 30, 2024

I am humbled by this compliment! Denis is one of my favorites! You just gave me a bit of fuel and love to keep on writing! 🙌❤️ thank you, friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Marriott
09:53 Jan 25, 2024

Great story! Loved the premise.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
04:53 Jan 26, 2024

Thank you, Martin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:23 Jan 19, 2024

First thoughts, its a great story overall! Maybe you want it disjointed to give the sense of drunkness and nuggets of consciousness? Its really popular to have single sentence paragraphs these days, but I feel some of the connected actions might be better to be put together into the same paragraph. I'm at work so can't dig into the story deeply, but for the intro I think it could be better to start on a unique character action beat. "Jennifer lunges to regain balance in a pair of Jimmy Choo flats. The bar had just closed. Before her, t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Matt P
01:34 Jan 19, 2024

Really enjoyed this read. I got fully hooked when you wrote, "…When you get old enough, you look forward to dying! That's the drug you reach for when the other crap doesn't work anymore…." That was some dope shit. The dark tone was awesome. The rhythm I felt was shifty waves of suspense and kinda funny with some shock factor punches. I could tell the characters hated each other enough to stay in love. Great banter dialogue. You’re a great writer. Keep doing you.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:29 Jan 19, 2024

Matt! My new friend, that was one of the kindest and thoughtful reviews I’ve gotten on this story! I am humbled by you! I am honored by your time and efforts in commenting. Thank you so much for the encouragement. You too, Matt!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela M
12:05 Jan 18, 2024

Jennifer is such a tragic character and so well written. It’s conflicting to sympathize with a character who is so broken that they become blind to their reckless actions. It makes me wonder how she got to that point. Thanks for reading my story, “Uneaten.” It really meant a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michał Przywara
22:03 Jan 17, 2024

That's wild! And on reflection, tremendously sad. Very fitting title. She's hit her absolute lowest, and it's looking like she's actually making an effort to recover - but unfortunately her absolute lowest was splattering Jakob's head. She might find a way to kick the habits, but there's no walking away from that. I wonder what set her off? Maybe it was the comment to dry out, or maybe the implication she didn't think of her son, or maybe even the denial of coke. Or maybe, this was going to happen no matter what. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
00:12 Jan 18, 2024

Michal, Ive always appreciated how perceptive you are! That question, what set her off? I was thinking about that too, and that is one of the major driving forces behind making that snapshot so minimalist and macabre. I think, after reading it and being done with it, that there was a time when life was going to work out like it "should." Like all of my writing, damn I'm so depressing sometimes, lol, (childhood trauma, gotta get it out somehow) - Jennifer, the name of my x-wife haha, had made a lot of little decisions that will ultimately...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose Lind
01:31 Jan 17, 2024

Dustin, there is a slow motion feel of alcoholism and drug used. I liked this - "I don't know, but together, we're a whole! Apart, we're just cripples!" I had some trouble following the whole plot, however, keep up the good work. Your style is personal, you voice has satire, calm and is sharp.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
02:05 Jan 17, 2024

Thank you Rose, I am so grateful for you commenting. I cleaned it up a little bit. I used to hit a prompt the day it came out and within a few hours it was dumb. Always stay in the practise of writing regardless how crazy life gets!

Reply

Rose Lind
21:13 Jan 17, 2024

I usually post my first prompt draft as it seems simpler to edit it on here. The closing time and approval is ample to perfect. Yes, stay in the practice of writing. I found writing freehand even during my souls dark night, produced real raw and deep emotional data, I could never had imagined that in daylight.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:48 Jan 17, 2024

Rose, I really appreciate your encouragement! I like to write free-hand also! I pride myself on my ability to fit in... lol. But who am I kidding, we are writers and I can say for my part I'm nuts. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments. I am grateful to know you!

Reply

Rose Lind
05:51 Jan 18, 2024

Nuts? Well your one of my tribe 🐕

Reply

Dustin Gillham
20:38 Jan 18, 2024

Glad to be a part! ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ana M
20:06 Jan 16, 2024

Well done!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
02:06 Jan 17, 2024

Thank you Ana.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
15:58 Jan 16, 2024

Very sad. Well crafted story. The typos were a bit distracting, as was the name change from Jakob to Patric/Patrick, but that said, the suspense was built well and it really moved the story along at a great pace. The imagery was clean and I could feel every gritty and sordid detail. Sad you haven't won either. I am done trying...but that is just me! Looking forward to reading more of your works!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
02:09 Jan 17, 2024

Patrick was originally going to be the name of my character. I even attached it to the son at one point. I cleared up the discrepancy. Thank you for taking the time to read my work. I am blessed and honored by you Jody.

Reply

Jody S
16:50 Jan 17, 2024

I get it!! Thank goodness for the edit feature!! I frequently go back and re-read and tinker!! Blessed and honored to be able to read your work!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
23:56 Jan 17, 2024

Jodi, I wish I could give you a hug and 100 karma points. Your comments and time are so valuable to me. Thank you for your encouragement... this is my first submission after taking a break for a year.

Reply

Jody S
15:18 Jan 18, 2024

You are very kind! Looking forward to more of your stories!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
22:03 Jan 18, 2024

Ditto Jodi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:50 Jan 16, 2024

“while her cradles hand his,” fox this before the story is approved. “just flea” *flea. Jakob smokes. He clears his throat and sits with you! That picture! -you need the speech marks at the start of this bit. It’s hard to tell where the dialogue starts there. “can't put a lien on my life!,” *line. She seems pretty screwed. Drug habit and an affair. Her husband also seems like a jerk. I was a bit confused about who Patrick was at the end, Jakob was a fake name he told her?

Reply

Dustin Gillham
14:23 Jan 16, 2024

I think there are more glitches than that, hoping Deidre can flush it out, but again, I haven’t been consistent in the craft lately, miss it, just diving back in

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:04 Jan 16, 2024

I think mentioning the kids name earlier would be good for clarity. The guy she kills only having one name as well. I wasn’t sure why he was Jakob then Patrick.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
14:06 Jan 16, 2024

I submitted rough! Deidre is at Mardi Gras or some shit, she’s my go-to normally for feedback. when do they approve shit? Don’t I have a couple days?

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:10 Jan 16, 2024

A few days usually. Sometimes I’ve missed typos and that annoys me far too much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
14:09 Jan 16, 2024

Thanks Graham! Gonna fix it now 🙏

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:10 Jan 16, 2024

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 5 replies
Alexis Araneta
13:14 Jan 16, 2024

Your flair for imagery is just stunning! Very gripping story.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
14:21 Jan 16, 2024

Dang, thank you Stella! You know I haven’t won a single prompt to this very day? But I’m just humbled you took time to read my stuff. ❤️ damn it’s so good to be encouraged 🙏🙏🙏

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:24 Jan 16, 2024

You're very welcome! Keep at it. You definitely have something there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.