32 comments

Fiction Contemporary Suspense

"BREAKING NEWS: SCIENTISTS HAVE SPOTTED POSSIBLE ALIEN INVASION PLANS USING SATELLITES. IS IT TRUE THAT A UFO MIGHT POSSIBLY BE LANDING HERE ON EARTH? OR SOMETHING ELSEβ€”DEVASTATING? WATCH FLN NEWS TODAY LIVE AT 6:00 pm EST TO LEARN MORE. I'M SARA REPORTING FROM FLN NEWS LIVE."

My heart was pounding, and I felt as if I was stuttering when I said the news. I couldn't believe my own words. Right now, it was almost 4:00, and right after the daily movie, it's my turn to broadcast again.

But aliens? Really?

I don't know. Maybe–maybe it might be true.Β 

I just hope it isn't.

✦✦✦

It was time for me to be on, live.

"Sara? Everything ready?" I hear my boss ask through the speakers.

"Y-yes," I reply, my upper lip trembling to say it.

"Good. We want to fill in all the information the audience can get." I saw him, holding the tablet, and smirking.

"Umm, I know this will never be true, of course." I started beating around the bush. Mr. McOff's eyebrows raised very high, as he dropped the tablet down, and looked at me.

"What are you talking about?" he asked confusingly, and for a moment, I didn't want to askβ€”but my heart was telling me to.

"Ok, well, I'm no scientist or anything, but don't you feel like this news is a little...how do you phrase this, umm, fictional?" I didn't want to look at him, so I stared at his shoes.

"Sara, you are a new recruit, yes?"Β 

"Well, yes, I just joined a couple of weeks ago, don't you remember?"Β 

He shot a look at me, his eyes were big and deep, it made me afraid to look at him.

"So, that's why I'm forgiving you. Forgetting you ever asked me this preposterous question."

"What do you mean?"

"Ha! Acting all innocent, aren't you, Sara?"

"No, I'm confused." I blurt out.

"I'll wipe away your confusion. Ratings for FNL means a lot to me. Ok? So, you better tell the news, make people watch, and we'll get the profit." he smiled proudly.

"So, are you sayingβ€”"

"What I am saying is that you carry on with the news, and I'll deal with everything. Why would we ever be telling fake news to the audience? I'm not that kind of man at all! In fact, what man would ever do that?" he started rambling around, looking tense.

"I'm sorry, I was just...confirming, you know? I still can't believe the words I'm saying right now, so, I was just asking. No need to feel offended!" I tried to relax.

"Good. Well, it's 5:40, and there is not much time for you to go up there live for the entire world. So,Β don'tΒ let FNL down." he stared at me, very seriously, and my immediate reaction was to nod my head.

I started walking towards my dressing room. It was the only place where I could just sit and think about my life and what is happening.

Seriously? UFOs? Alien invasions?Β these thoughts started to circle my head.Β 

What? The next thing they're gonna say is that dragons are real, and they are roaming around Earth? Better yet, say that dinosaurs have wakened out of nowhere, here to crush humans? Yeah, right, only fools would believe that.

I just couldn't believe it. I didn't want to give false news to the audience, though I was kind of happy that FNL news was getting a lot more ratings. More people have started to watch this news channel.Β 

Plus, I don't want to disappoint my co-workers...or Mr. McOff, but still, all of these things seem too sci-fi for my brain to register.

I wanted to practice with my phone by recording it, and as I clicked the record button, I heard footsteps.Β 

I heard Mr. McOff talking to Joe, the Broadcast Technician, and Mrs. Betty, one of the senior camera operators.

I knew it was terrible to eavesdrop on their conversation, but I was too curious.Β 

"Those people will believe anything they hear, so no one's gonna find out." it was a deep, low voice.

It was Mr. McOff.

But what would they even be talking about? What will the audience find out?

I knew that I had to listen more to find out.Β 

"Ha! You're right. Those people will listen to anything. This is the perfect chance. Joe, would you want me to lose my job?" it was a sweet voice, it was Mrs. Betty.

She was a nice lady, and helped me do my job on my first day, so what would she be talking about?

"Of course not, I wouldn't want anyone to lose their job! But...if I was one of the audience, I wouldn't believe the news. I'm just saying my perspective about all of this." it was Joe.

Oh my gosh?! What are they talking about?

"Oh, Joe! FNL has just been rising, even skyrocketed! Do you really want to say the truth and make our channel be exposed as liars? Also, won't you wanna get paid more?" Betty argued.

"Fine, fine! I was just sayingβ€”"

"You two, keep quiet! I just had a conversation with that new girl named...Sandra?"

"Sara." Betty corrected

"Oh yeah, right, that Sara girl, and she seems onto us. She's smart, and a bit curious, so keep your voices low. Plus, it's almost time for us to start live again, so get going!" Mr. McOff yelled.

Oh, so that's their plan. They probably photo shopped that picture and made me say fake news to everyone. But, I'll bust them...no matter what it takes. Everyone needs to know that this entire news company members are frauds. But, Mrs. Betty, I can't believe she would be working with them. Once I come live, I'll share the audio recording of their conversation, this is the only way. No matter what the risk is, even if I lose the first real job I ever had. The people of America deserve to know the truth.

~The End~

February 09, 2021 21:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

So...this was a weird one. Meaning, the idea was kind of random for me, but I still enjoyed writing it. Hope y'all enjoyed reading it too. :) P.S. 90 STORIES??? WOW, THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS FOR YOUR SUPPORT! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies

Haha, I actually had the same idea as you. Amazing, by the way. I have another idea though. Keep writing!

Reply

Wow, I don't know what to say!! Thank you so much! <33333

Reply

I'm working on it right now while doing homework. Multitasking :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I'LL BE SURE TO DO IT FOR YOU!! <33333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:46 Feb 09, 2021

I wanted more! I really enjoyed this, but it ended too quickly for my liking. Loved the idea.

Reply

Show 1 reply

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Laila, this is like a conspiracy theory burst into life, GREAT JOB WRITING THISSSSSSSSSSS the dialogue was really good too, it flowed really well also, CONGRATS FOR 90 STORIESSSSSS :DDDD ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
11:55 Feb 11, 2021

Such a cool story, Laila!! I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end! Very interesting story, and well written! πŸ’™πŸŒŸ

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
04:34 Feb 11, 2021

Reedsy-cast out! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Alejandra Medina
05:46 Mar 13, 2021

Just came across this story and wow! I'm really glad I did. Sara's such a charismatic character and that opening paragraph really hooked me in.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.