2 comments

East Asian LGBTQ+ Gay

The whole restaurant filled with the aroma when he turned off the stove and served his delicious dish. I was waiting for the dish eagerly; its aroma had already made my mouth watery. As soon as dish was served, I jumped over to get the taste. The first bite was creamy and dissolved easily, I could feel the each and every spice at every taste bud of my tongue. Wow! I shouted.

(It was the years old restaurant the most popular of its time only restaurant known for using ancient Japanese skills to prepare food. However, it had lost somewhere with the urbanization and modernization. When packaged and frozen food boomed the market the demand for ancient food was at the edge of lost, that moment it was the only hope to save the ancient food. But with time it got also lost in this new era.

I work in food industry for a long time but neither as a chef nor manager but the one who makes video over U-tube about food and its taste. Hi! I am Asahi Takahashi and I am food content creator. I am in this job for many years but it was the first time something like that happened, want to know let’s continue…)

It was the first day of spring I was suffering over the internet watching my own videos here and there when my eyes caught the picture of this old wooden restaurant. At first look it wasn’t that amazing neither it was that today as it used to be. Whatever I needed a restaurant for another video content and I had visited almost every restaurant and steer food of the city, also it wasn’t that bad to try.

Next morning, I carried my camera, set my location and moved to my destiny with my love, my bike.

(That day I didn’t know this one visit gone to change my whole life.)

After travelling across city, river and fields, I almost reached to my destination. The restaurant looked more older than the picture I saw yesterday. I entered, the interior was enough to give feel of ancient Japan, old architectures, paintings, peace and a quite relaxing feeling far away from the city.

“Excuse me, is there someone” I said while leaning on the door beside me.

Within few minutes an old lady appeared, white tied hairs and wrinkled face. She welcomed me warmly and served a green tea.

“Hello, I am Asahi Takahashi and I creates videos about food and different restaurants, Can I make a video about your restaurant?” I asked.

The old grandma was kept smiling, closing her eyes as she didn’t understand what I said. I just sat silent and smiled awkwardly. At that moment a young smart guy in his chef dress entered in the restaurant. He had some vegetables in his hands and a serious look on his face. I kept staring at him for a while, his brown shining eyes I have never seen before such beautiful eyes, and his jaw line was almost perfect. My heart was racing when he broke the silence. “Grandma, what are you doing here, go in.”

He turned at me and said, “I am sorry for inconvenience, my grandma couldn’t hear.” He took his grandma in and returned.

“So, sir what would you like to order.” He passed me menu.

I got back my senses and shake my head. “Umm… I would like to order this special dish of your restaurant.”

He bowed and started to cook. His hand was cutting vegetables smoothly like butter. The wat he tossed the noodles I have never seen before. I forgot to open my camera; I was just amazed.

The whole restaurant filled with the aroma when he turned off the stove and served his delicious dish. I was waiting for the dish eagerly; its aroma had already made my mouth watery. As soon as dish was served, I jumped over to get the taste. The first bite was creamy and dissolved easily, I could feel the each and every spice at every taste bud of my tongue. Wow! I shouted with joy.

“It’s so delicious your hands have magic.” I said to him.

He gave me small smile with his serious look.

He returned back to his work, while I was enjoying my dish. I looked around, all tables were empty, then I looked at him. I cleared my throat and said, “It seem very few people visit here.”

He looked at me and just smiled. The stress over his face was clearly seen which he was trying to mask with his smile. I didn’t say a word again.

I returned back home, but my mind constantly thinking about him. It was the first time in 26 years My heart raced after watching someone. Along with this I was continuously thinking about his hardships and worries.

To calm down my monkey mind I took a walk around city. The two places were completely different. The peace and happiness had lost somewhere in the noise of city.  

After a week I retuned back to restaurant, same peace and same feelings. He was cooking and I was watching him silently standing at the entrance, his serious look and shining eyes.

“Oh, welcome again sir.” I entered and sat down.

I greeted him and told him about my U-tube. I took his permission and recorded the video of the cooking. The dish was as delicious as the last time.

I asked, “You seem young, for how long have you been cooking?”

He replied, “I am 26 and I cook since age 5.”

I was shocked, “Since 5, at this age most kids usually play out with friends.”

“You are right sir, but I learned this from my dad.”

“Oh, I understood, so how old this restaurant is?’’

“Yeah, this restaurant is many years old, it was opened by my great grandfather. And My family ran this restaurant over years but now only few people visit here.”

“I see”.

We walked in his field and had a great chat about childhood, young age, school and life in city verses village.

The cold breeze, crisp air and sunset… we were sat near the field. His eyes were on the setting sun and my eyes were on him.

I understood it better how his life was tough, I wanted to help him. I upload the video and showed all the good things about the life far from the city. I didn’t get the good response.

I didn’t want to give up soon, I visit there make videos and the life near the nature and peace and happiness.

After a great hard work over weeks, one of my videos touched million views. Many people came to know the restaurant. Many visit to get the taste of delicious food and many to get taste of life near nature.

Now restaurant is not empty as it used to be, and in weekends you have to wait long to get the taste. Many people now capturing the life near nature and enjoying it.

My feelings are still up to my heart, may be my love is still incomplete but I got a friend, a grandma, delicious food, peace which is more than enough to fulfil happiness in my lonely city life.

June 29, 2021 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tricia Shulist
21:50 Jul 08, 2021

Thanks you. That was a nice story. It was almost as if each gave the other a gift.

Reply

Nike S
10:34 Jul 15, 2021

Thank you...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.