Fox and Rabbit: A Trickster's Tale

Submitted into Contest #87 in response to: Write about a mischievous pixie or trickster god.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Indigenous Bedtime


Rabbit and the Fox 

A Trickster Fable written by:  Jennifer M. Engel

The worm moon was high in the silent March night sky, making it easier for Fox to see while digging his burrow.   It had been a long, harsh winter.  Much of his food supply perished underneath the bitter snow, which seemed to laugh every time it heard Fox’s growling stomach. 

Fox’s natural personality was not malicious.  It was just that Mother Nature seemed to force him into situations that caused him to perform acts of devilish means, in order to ensure his (and his families) own survival. And so he used Mother Nature’s own scents to mask his own. The night before the worm moon was full, he wandered around the forest gathering pine needles, acorns, dirt; and yes, even his last victims scat. He returned home to grind up and mix a most peculiar paste that he would slather on his entire beautiful red coat turning it crusty, brown. This would not only help keep him camouflaged, as he set his plan in motion, but it also served as a way to mask his own distinct smell. Rabbits had become too smart and strong and quick to be hunted by the mere chasing and catching means.

Fox focused on the vision he had of his latest victim --a nice fat white rabbit who must have found the scrap pile often left by the Iroquois near one of the longhouses that were nestled near the forest. It had been complete with potato and carrot peelings, as well as other kitchen scraps. Scraps were not good enough for Fox.  Fox needed meat, and meat he was going to get. 

The forest was full of illusionary and deceptive behavior. The North and Eastern winds blew in feelings of delight and enlightenment, where even enemies seemed as if they could be friends. South winds blew in feelings of love and lust where animals were too fixated on the opposite sex to be bothered with such things as eating and sleeping. The wicked, west winds, however,  blew in feelings of fright where nothing was safe from the foulness of pure unsatiated hunger, and it was those very same winds that were quickly approaching. 

The tools in Fox’s paw were about as ominous as the wind.  He had to use the forelimb bones and claws of his last victim as digging tools.  This was tricker than he originally thought, as he had to bind the smaller foot bones together with sinew to keep them from falling apart.  As he dug he began to recall the conversation he had with Mr. Fat Rabbit just two evenings ago when the West Winds were still farther away. 

“Good evening, Mr. Rabbit.” 

“Evening, Fox.” Rabbit’s long ears perked up signaling suspicion of the interaction. 

“It feels so good to get out of dens and holes on a more regular basis now that it is more comfortable to do so, don’t you think?” Fox said with a smile and as much charm as he could muster. 

“Yes, yes.” Rabbit hopped along his course with Fox keeping a side by side pace. The deers of the woods had made nice trails, which other animals could access. 

“But, I like to keep myself in shape no matter what time of the year it is.  That’s why I always get out for a good morning run before settling down for the day.”  Rabbit said, doging under some thorn bushes that had arched their way over the trial. 

“True.” Mr. Fox continued as his heart began to beat faster and his breath increased trying to keep up with Rabbit’s pace.  “That’s why I like to see if I can keep up with you.  Gotta’ keep in shape.  I’m not getting any younger, you know?” 

Rabbit laughed nervously.  “Where are you off to today, Mr. Fox?” 

“Just out for a jog.  What coincidence that we ran into each other today!” Fox’s paws now softly padded against the earth in a pattern that almost matched his own heart beat. 

“Hmm,” was all Rabbit replied. 

“I’ll be leaving you soon,” Fox panted out, setting a part of his plan in place, “but before I go, I just want you know I overhead Mr. Jack say he’s having a party two nights from now.  I’m not allowed to go, for obvious reasons, of course.” 

“Of course,” rabbit replied, his white paws now stained with the spots of mud from the wet spring ground. 

“But, I heard Mr. Brown say he wouldn’t miss it for the world!” Fox’s breath was  easy and rhythmic now as he found a good pace.  He felt a surge of electric delight surge throughout his body as he thought his plan was coming along nicely. “Ah! I wish this was a different time when we could be friends, rather than so suspicious of each other.  I could use one good night of fun after this long, drawn out winter.  You know what I mean?” Fox smiled and winked. 

“I suppose so.” Mr. Rabbit lowered his eyebrows.  He kept his eyes forward as he needed to keep a lookout for any fallen branches, or any other obstacles, that may be in his path. “Yet, there is always work to be done.” He added as he tried to hint at the fact that he was, in fact, being bothered and not in the mood for this conversation. 

“True, true! But, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” Fox laughed at his own joke, “Get it? Jack? Jack Rabbit? I guess that’s why he’s having a party!” Fox howled in delight at his own cleverness. His laughter seemed to break a bit of the suspicion Mr. Rabbit had been feeling as he gave into a little chuckle himself. 

“Well, sorry to bother you.  I’ll let you continue your run worry free.  At the end of this trail I noticed some nice young dandelion greens beginning to sprout.  You may wish to gather some and take them to your family.” Fox began to slow down his pace as if to reinforce his words.  He began to shout as the rabbit ran ahead, “or take some to Jack’s party! Three burrows down from the largest oak tree!”

“Thank you for the tip, Fox!” he yelled over his shoulder and then his white coat disappeared into the darkness leaving Mr. Fox’s mind to be brought back to his present moment. 

He had finished digging the fake rabbit burrow, and was putting in the final touches: fresh dandelion greens, soft spring grass, anything he could find to help to set the mood. Soon the patterned paleness of the moonlight, that had found its way down to the forest floor, began to fade as the light from the dawn began to blend in and give rise to day. Fox went to the local stream, bathed, and went home to sleep and dream of his plan’s success. 

***

Rabbit was not fooled in the least by Mr. Fox’s plan. No Sir! As soon as he heard Mr. Fox’s plan he devised one of his own. 

It was the evening of the supposed party. The moon lit up grass that covered the soft muddy path which led to “Mr. Jack’s” place: three burrows down from the old Oak tree.  He was not afraid of being eaten before arrival. Their winter runs had proven that the rabbits, more often than not, were way faster than Mr. Fox.  Mr. Rabbit knew Mr. Fox would have to resort to trapping rather than chasing.  So why then, did Mr. Rabbit hop confidently right into Mr. Foxes fake burrow? 

***

Mr. Fox smiled and licked his lips as he saw the fat, white coat squeeze through the entrance he had created the night before.  He carefully crawled out from behind the tall, brown grass near the trap where he had been hiding. Weary of making as little noise as possible, he placed his paws on the as silently on the ground as possible. He was inching his way towards the opening-- dare he create any sort of vibration that might give a clue to the occupant inside as to any danger.  Suddenly, he was paralized by a searing pain in his left side that caused him to topple over.  A whimper and small howl escaped his lips as he felt the warmth of his blood leak out and begin to stain the forest floor. It didn’t take long before the night that concealed his body clouded his mind, until... there was nothing. 

What Mr. Fox didn’t know, that Mr. Rabbit did, is that the Iroquios had gathered enough rabbit furs during their winter hunts.  What they needed was more luxurious furs to trade; and so, there were men in the forest looking for Fox. 

***

“Minwaabadad: it is of good use,” one man said to the other.  

 The other nodded. 

The first man threw Mr. Foxes body over his shoulder and left the clearing. 

***

Mr. Rabbit slept soundly after the hunters left, resting in the knowledge that his own gut instinct (and wit) had saved him again... and would continue to do so.

April 02, 2021 10:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.